Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,574 members, 7,929,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 02:25 AM

Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. (8011 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by honeric01(m): 9:59pm On Jan 21, 2010
Tolulop001:

1. which tenant will want to take his landlord to court?

I am ready to take one to court if he or she violates my rights
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Tolulop001(f): 10:09pm On Jan 21, 2010
honeric01:

I am ready to take one to court if he or she violates my rights

you can 'want to' but will you?
have you ever been involved in a lawsuit in this town?with the legal hulla baloo, frustrations and ridiculous paperwork?
the same govt who enacted the law is not going to expedite your case at the judiciary. u can be at it for ages. its a cost benefit tradeoff.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by honeric01(m): 10:11pm On Jan 21, 2010
Tolulop001:

you can 'want to' but will you?
have you ever been involved in a lawsuit in this town?with the legal hulla baloo, frustrations and ridiculous paperwork?
the same govt who enacted the law is not going to expedite your case at the judiciary. u can be at it for ages. its a cost benefit tradeoff.

why not? i can, i have lawyers, so i know what i am saying.

forget the hulla baloo, won't the landlord face it too?
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by woodboi(m): 10:16pm On Jan 21, 2010
lagos landlord don't have a work, couple with their children.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by boyt1: 10:24pm On Jan 21, 2010
The problem here is  lack of Patience and courage from the people. When a govt. makes a meaningful reform for the state  the same complaining citizens will never support any good plans/ reforms from their govt.  SELFISH INTEREST above the country's interest. Yet we love how things work in Europe & America, but nobody is willing to pay any price. we believe Laws never work in 9ja, the citizens should obey laws . On the Govt. side,  Law enforcement should be a priority and disciple starts from the top.  Cheers!  Fashola.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by isalegan2: 2:21am On Jan 22, 2010
edited: I haven't had time to read up on this, but if it (the bill) hasn't already passed, I hope it does.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by nbem2008: 4:08am On Jan 22, 2010
Most of you that have commented on this issue are supposed to be educated, or exposed to some level I believe. It is very sad that you still do not know the difference between a LAW and a BILL. This is still a BILL! It may or may not end up being a law in it's present form. And if it does become a law, then the implication therein is that an injured party relative to the subtantive law NOW has a 'locus standi' to seek redress. Most of you who are insisting that it will/cannot be enforced are probably the same characters who were insisting that nothing will ever happen to Bode George, enough said!
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by BabaOnileK: 7:58am On Jan 22, 2010
This may still be a BILL and not a LAW but I want to draw attention to some issue.

1. The BILL says SITTING TENANT, I think this does not cover a FRESH tenant or APPLICANT TENANT.
2. It does not say the landlord cannot increase his rents but the SITTING TENANT is under no COMPULSION to pay for more than THREE MONTHS at a time.
3. The BILL does not handle issues like security payments, environmental cleaning/services etc which might not have been covered in the original contract.

On the balance, its an equitable bill and I would like it to be passed. Then my landlord will stop demanding for annual rents when he pays monthly in the London where he stays.

Am also watching cos I hope to learn before I complete my structure in Ofada. This is a double edged sword but its unfair to be demanding annual payments either way you see it.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Oboma1(m): 8:29am On Jan 22, 2010
nbem2008:

Most of you that have commented on this issue are supposed to be educated, or exposed to some level I believe. It is very sad that you still do not know the difference between a LAW and a BILL. This is still a BILL! It may or may not end up being a law in it's present form. And if it does become a law, then the implication therein is that an injured party relative to the subtantive law NOW has a 'locus standi' to seek redress. Most of you who are insisting that it will/cannot be enforced are probably the same characters who were insisting that nothing will ever happen to Bode George, enough said!

We all know the difference between both, and also know that, little or nothing will be added or subtracted. Government have made up their mind to bring this up, but whether it will work, is another thing.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by basly: 8:40am On Jan 22, 2010
nice one.we need such laws in lagos.EKO O NI BAJE
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by walestar01(m): 8:56am On Jan 22, 2010
I'm tired of Lagos, I am going back to my village where houses is being rent for 12 per annum without Agency fees and charges,
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by MrCrackles(m): 8:58am On Jan 22, 2010
walestar01:

I'm tired of Lagos, I am going back to my village where houses is being rent for 12 per annum without Agency fees and charges,
On your bike then. . . .
It is not by force to live in lagos!!!!
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by madamL(f): 9:42am On Jan 22, 2010
Let's wait and see. My house is not available until I get a tenant of my choice who will 'co-operate'.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by honeric01(m): 9:51am On Jan 22, 2010
madam L:

Let's wait and see. My house is not available until I get a tenant of my choice who will 'co-operate'.

then u can as well live alone in ur house.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Spyker: 11:31am On Jan 22, 2010
Well, i only enter Lagos for business trips and trips outside this country. I don't like Lagos and i don't intend to settle in Lagos. For all i care, Lagos is too crowded for my liking.

Come to think of it, must every body live in Lagos?
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by maxtop(m): 12:35pm On Jan 22, 2010
I WILL BE WAITING FOR THE 1ST VICTIM, grin
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by koolkamzzy(m): 12:44pm On Jan 22, 2010
well i prefer paying per annum to paying per month. but i think the three month is still ok
The only problem is the issue of different fees like agency, agreement, security and others.

Talking of low cost houses, even if govt build low cost houses, it's the rich that will still acquire it and give it out as rent at an eorbitant price.

From all the reply and reactions from co-nairalanders, we have been able to know the greedy land lords.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by nbem2008: 2:44pm On Jan 22, 2010
Oboma1:

We all know the difference between both[i], and also know that, little or nothing will be added or subtracted. Government have made up their mind to bring this up, but whether it will work, is another thing.

@Oboma1

How can you know something that hasn't happened already. You're making an assumption which is not based on any fact, very immature and unenlightened I must say.

BabaOnileK:

This may still be a BILL and not a LAW but I want to draw attention to some issue.

1. The BILL says SITTING TENANT, I think this does not cover a FRESH tenant or APPLICANT TENANT.
2. It does not say the landlord cannot increase his rents but the SITTING TENANT is under no COMPULSION to pay for more than THREE MONTHS at a time.
3. The BILL does not handle issues like security payments, environmental cleaning/services etc which might not have been covered in the original contract.

On the balance, its an equitable bill and I would like it to be passed. Then my landlord will stop demanding for annual rents when he pays monthly in the London where he stays.

Am also watching cos I hope to learn before I complete my structure in Ofada. This is a double edged sword but its unfair to be demanding annual payments either way you see it.

@BabaOnilek
Your points are well noted. However, the OP only reffered to "certain portions" of the bill. We have not seen the bill in its entirety with all the subsections, waivers etc. When we do, your concerns might be addressed therein.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by olawonder(m): 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2010
Will work or not, its a step, let's just wait and see!
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by james1(m): 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2010
Hello everyone.
if the law works in lagos,fine.but i think it wil be more reasonable to allow prospective tenants to pay six months to one year if they so desire.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by tatooboy: 4:45pm On Jan 22, 2010
is this law for the houses lagos state built or private landlords?

that law will not make a headway, the legislators themselves, the money they have been stealing, what do u think they use it for, na properties o.

leave that thing abeg. it wont work.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by An0nimus: 9:13pm On Jan 22, 2010
I doubt if the 'grace period' will still be 3months if this be.
Believe me,if u want to sue ur landlord n u dnt hav a gud planB.i pity u.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by fontv1: 11:11pm On Jan 22, 2010
Make una no doubt change in Lagos. una think say na so naija go remain forever? Omo no doubt the ability of this Fashola Guy. dat Guy dey Street too. him no waitin dey now. Anyhow! fashola you are mouthed. Any landlord who want behave Mutallab na court ego see een breakfast . AC carry Go!Fashola you get mouth joo
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by deb(m): 12:16am On Jan 23, 2010
Go bless Lagos state government.
I don't understand why something that should be normal anywhere else in the world are being made
to sound abnormal in Nigeria by Nigerians. Its a nation of some selfish people really
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by lastpage: 1:12am On Jan 23, 2010
Even as a landlord, l love this "Bill" (not yet a law! grin)
I pray it sees the light of day.

But there should be another law scrapping all those charges: 15% of value, Development levy, "100,000 naira/sq. meter for Governors consent, e.t.c grin

And another law committing the "Government Officers" to jail, if he does not deliver on low income housing grin grin

That way, everyone would be regulated! shocked

Nna, na waa for this regulation without authority o!

"You cant control what you dont own"
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by sulad82i(m): 2:07am On Jan 23, 2010
This look like a good law on PAPER, lets see it enforced
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by nbem2008: 5:55am On Jan 23, 2010
Guys PLEASE, this is a BILL and NOT a law yet. I see some of you are based in UK and USA, still you seem not to be able to differentiate these 2. So what the heck have you been able to learn all the while?
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Oboma1(m): 9:29am On Jan 23, 2010
nbem2008:

@Oboma1

How can you know something that hasn't happened already. You're making an assumption which is not based on any fact, very immature and unenlightened I must say.

@BabaOnilek
Your points are well noted. However, the OP only reffered to "certain portions" of the bill. We have not seen the bill in its entirety with all the subsections, waivers etc. When we do, your concerns might be addressed therein.

When the bill is passed into, I will remind you of my earlier stand. One thing about these people which you seem not to know is that, once a bill gets to the house, little is always added or subtracted. We all follow these on television daily, when we have little break in our various offices. You speak as if you are a Political Scientist. Even if you are one, you are not a monopoly of knowledge. Knowledge is gotten went your seek it. Lets wait and see when it is passed into Law. So, please drop that crap!.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by idifu(m): 10:39am On Jan 23, 2010
no comment for now
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by selingel: 11:37am On Jan 23, 2010
nbem2008:

Guys PLEASE, this is a BILL and NOT a law yet. I see some of you are based in UK and USA, still you seem not to be able to differentiate these 2. So what the heck have you been able to learn all the while?

Mr. Nbem2008, do you know that, we have a similar law in existence already? What is the difference between this bill of yours and the existing law in the same state?
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by harakiri(m): 1:40pm On Jan 23, 2010
It's always amusing how people jump on the "down with landlords" bandwagon forgetting that they might be landlords someday.Collecting 3-5 years rent ahead of time is suffocating on tenants (i'm a tenant myself so i know what's up) but there are some tenants that make life a living hell for landlords.For example, both my parents are deceased and i'm managing the properties they left behind.As i type this, i have three Igbo guys in court for not paying up.One of them hasn't even paid a dime for 4 years and counting.I didn't even increase his house rent or anything of the sort (imagine someone still paying N65,000 for a 2-bedroom flat in Lagos of all places).The Nigerian court system is ineffective.Endless adjournments upon adjournments.Even your own lawyer doesn't want the case to end so that he can continue to extort you endlessly.This is one of the reasons why landlords demand huge amounts upfront to that they can start dealing with you early on before you become a terrorist in their property.You cannot compare Nigeria with UK or America where the legal system is straight forward and justice is meted out without delay.How many of you guys leaving abroad can dare owe the landlord 3-6 months rent? You all know what will happen.Dat one na no long tings. Try the same system in Nigeria and you'll see someone paying 3 months rent and living the next eight years free in your house due to endless court proceedings that lead to no where.

My 2 cents.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Oboma1(m): 3:06pm On Jan 23, 2010
harakiri:

It's always amusing how people jump on the "down with landlords" bandwagon forgetting that they might be landlords someday.Collecting 3-5 years rent ahead of time is suffocating on tenants (i'm a tenant myself so i know what's up) but there are some tenants that make life a living hell for landlords.For example, both my parents are deceased and i'm managing the properties they left behind.As i type this, i have three Igbo guys in court for not paying up.One of them hasn't even paid a dime for 4 years and counting.I didn't even increase his house rent or anything of the sort (imagine someone still paying N65,000 for a 2-bedroom flat in Lagos of all places).The Nigerian court system is ineffective.Endless adjournments upon adjournments.Even your own lawyer doesn't want the case to end so that he can continue to extort you endlessly.This is one of the reasons why landlords demand huge amounts upfront to that they can start dealing with you early on before you become a terrorist in their property.You cannot compare Nigeria with UK or America where the legal system is straight forward and justice is meted out without delay.How many of you guys leaving abroad can dare owe the landlord 3-6 months rent? You all know what will happen.Dat one na no long tings. Try the same system in Nigeria and you'll see someone paying 3 months rent and living the next eight years free in your house due to endless court proceedings that lead to no where.

My 2 cents.

Something tells me, this is another tales by moonlight. How can a sane man live in your house for 4 years without paying rent? Greater part of this write up is exaggerated!.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gypsum Plasterboard Ceilings, Dry walls, POP & Screeding / MASTERS VILLA ESTATE, Awoyaya Ajah, 700sqm(60ft/120ft) @#5.6m / Affordable Units Of Terrace Duplex In Lagos Mainland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.