Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,087 members, 7,890,598 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:41 PM

Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos (4616 Views)

Protest In Abuja For The Expulsion Of Saeed-Koozechi Iranian Ambassador / Mass Protest Likely In Kano As Litre Of Fuel Sells For N1,000 / Mass Protest Against Oshiomhole Administration Rocks Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by walata44(m): 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2010
LAGOS (AFP) – About 3,000 people marched through Lagos on Thursday to demand absent President Umaru Yar'Adua hand full powers to his deputy, as top lawyers pushed of an end to a power vacuum in Nigeria.

The crowd marched to the Lagos State Governor's office and handed in a letter demanding Yar'Adua, who has been in hospital in Saudi Arabia for two months, step down.

Opposition lawyers meanwhile petitioned the high court in Abuja to have his deputy Goodluck Jonathan sworn in with full powers, on the ground of Yar'Adua's "incapacity".

The president has spent nearly 60 days in Jeddah for treatment for acute pericarditis, an inflammation of the membrane covering the heart.

The demonstrators carried placards reading "Enough of the Offshore President" and "Go Umaru Go!".

"We have a ship now without a captain. A plane without a pilot," said Joe-Okei Odumakin, leader of Nigeria's Campaign for Democracy.

A similar rally was held in the capital Abuja last week, led by Nobel literature laureate Wole Soyinka.

Calls for Yar'Adua to step down or transfer power to Jonathan, the vice president, have mounted in recent weeks.

[img]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20100121/capt.photo_1264108166238-2-0.jpg?x=400&y=243&q=85&sig=e4nPIXjTXh.dXqGY1IVQRA--[/img]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100121/wl_africa_afp/nigeriapoliticsrallypresident;_ylt=AvRvqPR_YPvoYWbp39b4mm.QOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTE3Y2s2cXRtBHBvcwMxNwRzZWMDTXdfVml0YWxpdHkEc2xrA25pZ2VyaWFuc3N0YQ--

Other links:

http://saharareporters.com/news/4892-yaradua-must-go-mass-protests-in-lagos-photonews.html
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by blacksta(m): 4:57pm On Jan 21, 2010
I like the phrase " offshore president"
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by walata44(m): 5:04pm On Jan 21, 2010
This is a good news, people are now asking questions.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by afrobaby(f): 5:06pm On Jan 21, 2010
do we still remember when we were saying ghana must go, can u see what ghana is doing now,
really, i dont see why they must say yaradua must go, he shud just step aside and allow noble jonathan to act pending the time he will return,
we can only predict the beginning of a fight, we can predict the end of the fight, lets be careful
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by sjeezy8: 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2010
Lagos really represented BIG TIME!!!
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by monkeyleg: 9:03pm On Jan 21, 2010
A big Gbosa to everyone that supported or attended this march. God is alive. We are all marching in the right direction.

I am a bit disappointed that non of the opposition leaders where in attendance.

Where is Buhari? he was shouting foul during the last election, even Atiku no show. Opposition leaders are known to challenge the ruling party when things are not going right, but I Nigeria, they choose to keep quiet. And during they want us to vote for them
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 21, 2010
Good work dis is d news am lookijng for

lagos 4 show
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 21, 2010
who sold them the protest t shirts they're all wearing?

somebody made a tidy profit, I see!

I didnt know una dey do t shirt nah- I for enter bid to supply
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by blacksta(m): 9:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
tpia.:

off all the happenings u only picked out shirts - na wa for u
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by otokx(m): 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2010
when will it happen in Port Harcourt?
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2010
blacksta:

^^ if you see a crowd like that all wearing the same t shirt- shouldnt you think of the profit someone made?

I dont know about you, but I'm not allergic to making money.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Gekko(m): 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2010
na wa oh! see as ninjas take protest in style, yuppies protesting in pristine white tees with graphic prints, i even saw the polo style cool
where is the agberos?
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by otokx(m): 9:43pm On Jan 21, 2010
Lagos really represented o, WELLDONE
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by blacksta(m): 9:49pm On Jan 21, 2010
tpia.:

making money out of people's suffering - shame on u
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Dungren(m): 10:10pm On Jan 21, 2010
Guys, the rally made a big impact, the turn out was massive and the organization was impressive. The policemen didn't have much to do because the rally was peaceful.

I was happy when i saw that a huge number of people (from teenagers to men and women in their 60s) came out to support the rally.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by MIKKY2: 12:00am On Jan 22, 2010
[color=#990000][/color]INSTEAD OF ALL DIS GRAMMAR WE SHUD USE DIS MOMENTUM TO RECALL ALL OUR SENATORS ALL WE NEED ARE SIGNATURES
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Dungren(m): 5:11am On Jan 22, 2010
MIKKY2:

[color=#990000][/color]INSTEAD OF ALL DIS GRAMMAR WE SHUD USE DIS MOMENTUM TO RECALL ALL OUR SENATORS ALL WE NEED ARE SIGNATURES

@Mikky2

Lead the way and we shall support u.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by A40(m): 5:27am On Jan 22, 2010
blacksta:

I like the phrase " offshore president"
ROTFLOL. That one just cracks me up men
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Jakumo(m): 5:49am On Jan 22, 2010
What is the point of getting all flustered simply because Yar Adua is the only DEAD president in human history ever to remain in office after being buried six feet under ?

Yar Adua the walking corpse was installed in office by his predecessor, Obasanjo, for the explicit and exclusive purpose of preventing the prosecution of Obasanjo over his theft of the 16 billion dollars that had been allocated for the repair of Nigeria's electricity generation and distribution infrastructure, and in that regard, Yar Adua has been an unqualified success whether he is dead or comatose. Those clamoring to see the corpse of Yar Adua in Nigeria have obviously chosen to ignore the original reason for his selection into office.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 22, 2010
blacksta:

No mind the guy, only in it for money grin grin grin
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 22, 2010
someone should please paste the pictures here, we wanna see it
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Dungren(m): 9:40am On Jan 22, 2010
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 22, 2010
When the worse happens to our politics,we all know those who come to its defence and sustainabilty, ,ride on,lagos leads big time while OTHERS follow
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Afam(m): 10:19am On Jan 22, 2010
blacksta:

making money out of people's suffering - shame on u

This comment is unwarranted because whether you like it or not someone made a lot of money printing and probably selling those t-shirts.

And this is a fact - there is nothing wrong in making money in the process of solving a problem or helping the poor in any way unless you are looking for charity organisations and you don't have any charity organisation big enough to do just that.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Dungren(m): 10:40am On Jan 22, 2010
@ Afam and Tpia.

To burst your bubbles. Those T-shirts were distributed to people for free.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by Afam(m): 10:46am On Jan 22, 2010
Dungren:

@ Afam and Tpia.

To burst your bubbles. Those T-shirts were distributed to people for free.

Were they printed for free? Answer that and you will see why your bubble bursting activity does not make sense.

Unless the person that distributed them runs a free printing press it is impossible to believe.

For emphasis sake, the issue is printing and not distributing of the t- shirts.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by otokx(m): 10:54am On Jan 22, 2010
Let them come to Port Harcourt.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by maxtop(m): 12:24pm On Jan 22, 2010
Let the organizer stage the ptotest state by state so that they will know we are in for the real showdown bhur dont go to JOS coz pple there dey vex now grin grin grin grin
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by r231(m): 12:29pm On Jan 22, 2010
My people are finally on da ball. Yar'adua is selfish and uncaring as to what happens to Nigeria. That the Executive council condoned this is beyond my imagination. Get rid of him so Nigeria could progress
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by RichyBlacK(m): 12:31pm On Jan 22, 2010
Just didn't want to miss chipping in that Nigeria has the most useless government in the cosmos! Thanks.
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by kidjoo: 12:57pm On Jan 22, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Just didn't want to miss chipping in that Nigeria has the most useless government in the cosmos! Thanks.

Thanks, Solo Makinde
Re: Anti-Yar'Adua Mass Protest In Lagos by blacksta(m): 12:58pm On Jan 22, 2010
RichyBlacK:

And what are you doing to change that - if you no action - then shut it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Jonathan Really Handle Things In Nigeria? / The True Cost Of #occupynigeria / Former Governor Orji Kalu's 400 Bedroom Mansion In His Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.