Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,466 members, 7,911,127 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 04:14 AM

Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (15392 Views)

Discussion on Doctrine between a Christian and a Jehovah's Witness / Commercial Driver Prays As A Muslim, Christian And Traditionalist Before A Trip / Selfie Sunday: What Are You Wearing To Church Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by luckyz4rea(m): 1:07pm On Jun 25, 2017
stilldoingokay:

I totally disagree with you
You don't have to, but you can give your opinion why you don't agree!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:08pm On Jun 25, 2017
Being a member in the Church (the body of Christ) is beyond going to church, yet it is expressed by going to church. Learn the essence and meaning of fellowship and why go to Church, click the link:

http://hiswordxray..com.ng/2017/02/fellowship-organic-life.html?m=0

http://hiswordxray..com.ng/2017/02/fellowship-meeting.html?m=0
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by luckyz4rea(m): 1:08pm On Jun 25, 2017
alanka:
SAINTS? nonsense! Saints ko perfume in. Church and saints be like sun and rain, they have different session.

Completely your opinion!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by emmayayodeji(m): 1:21pm On Jun 25, 2017
luckyz4rea:

You don't go to church, you assemble as church. Now it is not possible to be a Christian and now ignore the gathering of the saints! It is unscriptural!

It is also unscriptural to have female pastors/ministers

I know u have female ministers in ur church grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 25, 2017
Opeomoope:
My sister-in-law does not attend church nor
have any fellowship apart from me but
believes she is a christian because she prays,
reads the bible and believes that Jesus is
Lord. But friends say she is decieved and not
a christian at all, I’m confused can you be a
christian and not go to church?
- anne
Anne,
I’m not surprised that you’re confused
because it is true to say both that you don’t
need to go to church to be a Christian and
that if you don’t go to church, you’re not a
Christian. Let me explain.
If we were to narrow down what it means
to be a Christian, the best place to look is at
one of the people who Jesus said was a
Christian. If you remember the thief on the
cross next to Jesus ( Luke 23:39-43), Jesus
promises this man that he will be with him
in paradise. This man never got to go to
church, and yet he is a Christian because he
trusts in Jesus. So in that sense it is true to
say that you don’t have to be a church goer
to be a Christian. In fact as soon as you say
you “have to do something” to be a
Christian you are in danger of getting the
gospel message wrong.
However, the Bible has no concept of
individual spirituality - that is Christianity is
not something personal that has nothing to
do with anyone else. That is a very modern
way of thinking. We can see it in the above
passage, the way the man expresses his
trust in Jesus is that shifts his allegiances to
Jesus’ kingdom. He sees that Jesus is the
true king and joins his kingdom, he joins a
group of people - those ruled by Jesus the
king.
If you are a Christian, then you are a
member of God’s church. The church is now
your family, and they are God’s gift to us in
living Christian lives. We see this in Romans
8:28-30. Those who are saved are saved so
that Jesus would be the big brother of many
brothers. God is in the business of making a
family (have a read of Romans cool. This can
also be seen in the fact that most of the
instructions for Christians are done in the
plural, there are very few (if any)
instructions to individuals. (The Greek of the
NT distinguishes between singular and
plural ‘you’ English doesn’t do that anymore).
The Christian life was never meant to be
lived solo, God has gifted each member of
his church to serve one another, you can’t
do that solo. It is near impossible to live a
Christian life alone, it runs counter to
everything God has done for us. However,
some people can’t help but live alone. The
thief on the cross could not join a church, he
had no choice; but where we have a choice,
we really should become a part of God’s
church.
It’s like someone who gets married, but
never moves in with their husband. It is true
that you can be married without living
together, and there may be extreme
circumstances that you can think of where
someone may get married and not live
together (if someone is on their death bed
for example). But a real marriage involves
relationship. Becoming a Christian means
being a part of God’s family.
So my advice for your sister-in-law is, if she
can join a church near to her, she should do
so. If there is nothing holding her back (and
there might be legitimate reasons) she
should go to church. It’s best for her and for
the people who are missing out on her gifts
that she may bring to that church. If there is
some reason why she cannot get to or go to
church then encourage her to meet
regularly with other christians to read the
bible and pray (after all this is what the
essence of church is).
Your sister in-law choose not to attend church because of past experience. It has affected her behavior towards attending church hence she concluded that she will just read her Bible, pray that's all. She forgot that iron sharpens iron. When she gathers knowledge from the Bible how would she share it with her fellow Christians? How would she get to know God more if she doesn't fellowship with other brethrens? How will she resolve some issues of life with fellowship? Or can two agree on a thing except they agree?. The essence of the gathering of brethrens is to build strong bond, share the world, share our problems as well as praying together. Praying together makes prayer more effective. Tell her to read how to pray by pastor Chris Oyakilohme(pardon me if I didn't spell it well)
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by hopefulLandlord: 1:36pm On Jun 25, 2017
Reader1988:

liar. A Muslim. Why Shites not in agreement with Sunni. Tijjaniya not in agreement with Kala-Kato. Besides, Kala-Kato don't believe in Hadith, Tariqh and Fiqh. Izala don't celebrate Maulud, etc. Do you want more

who told you I'm a Muslim? Holy Spirit?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by elderhimself(m): 1:54pm On Jun 25, 2017
Hier:

I won't bring that, but lemme first say this, if you are not willing to go far with God, your fellowship in church and outside church won't count.

Yea, lemme quote this verse, but before then, if you don't like a church, nothing stops you from going to another, just that, sometimes, deciding which church to go to might be quit difficult.

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 4:12 For the perfection of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

The above verses, speaks about the order God has set in the church, and if we say we don't need the Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher and Pastor to edify us, then we are doing ourselves no good, I would advise you get a spirited church to attend, thanks

Edify or not, tell me, what guarantees you a place in heaven?......
Is there any human that is guaranteed to make heaven??....

How sure are you that I attend a church in the first place?
...then you sound so sure that even if I attend a church, Its not a Spirited one, why so?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by SoldierBoy1(m): 2:03pm On Jun 25, 2017
It's not right because even in the Bible Hebrews 10:25 says" not forsaking the assembly of ourselves as the manner of some is but exhorting one another :and so much more as ye see the day approaching ". Also proverbs 27:17 says" Iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Fellowship is needed to keep you on track of your belief in Christ and also provide encouragement when weary.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by essence1: 2:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
MhizzAJ:
Not even going to church today
please don't, stay in your house we and the angels don't need you there. You can opt for a nearby nightclub if that's what you prefer.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by essence1: 2:23pm On Jun 25, 2017
First off, you have to be Christian for church to applea to you,when you are a Christian there will be no questions as to whether you will go or not, going becomes automatic(God puts that desire in you)
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by LifeCoachAndre: 2:24pm On Jun 25, 2017
It's like asking the following questions

Can I not go to school and still be a student?

Can I not go to work and still be employed?

Can have a wife/husband and not be married?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by IRIEBOY(m): 2:32pm On Jun 25, 2017
Vokians:
The people you mention are church goers. God Will touch their heart one day as they continue to go to church. But right now there is no much difference between them and you.
lolz when it comes to morals, am far ahead of them so what will your sky daddy change? I don't need any change except positive changes in my my bank account so that I can help people financially and die a happy man.. am not going to your imaginary heaven,i will die and decompose.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by smileyoo: 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2017
going to church without the heart of christ, is a waste of time and resources.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by okilingtete: 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2017
Hebrew 10:25, let us not give up in meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the day approaching. You are never a Christian if you abstain from the church service.
As one can't be Call farmers without having and going to farm's. From the above Scripture it is a commandment at which if you disobeys will lead you to hellfere.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Eportal123: 2:39pm On Jun 25, 2017
Your stupid family wasted time giving birth to you because your destiny will never rise
hopefulLandlord:
Christianity and confusion is like 1 & 2, they claim to talk to the same Holy Spirit but they can't agree on anything

Let's ask Christian sects how to define Actual Christianity:

Methodist: It is accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior and publicly sharing that acceptance by getting baptized through sprinkling of water.

Baptist: No, no, no -- you must be DUNKED in water, heathen.

Pentecostal: Yer both wrong -- ye must be baptized by the Holy Spirit and ye must speak in tongues to prove you are saved.

Lutherans: You don't need to do any of that. Our founder said just believe and have faith (oh yeah and he REALLY hated Jews).

Presbyterian: How droll -- lol. No no..you see it does not matter what you do or do not, God has already decided who the true Christians will be and they are obviously all Presbyterians.

Episcopalians: Well, we each get to decide what constitutes Christianity. What is in your heart? What do you think it is for you? What say you, Bishop Spong?

Church of Christ: None of you are going to heaven because you use musical instruments in your services and God hates that.

Jehovah's Witness: Something Something Kingdom Hall; something something no birthdays, no blood transfusions

Seventh Day Adventist: Pah! None of you even have the right day.

United Church of Christ: It's all good; let's listen to an acoustic guitar solo and accept gay people.

Non-denominational: Gay people? ewww. No no, ye must build megachurches with gyms and cafes to be righteous to god.

Catholic: Ummm....oldest sect here, guys. Forget that "accepting Jesus" stuff. You must mediate with God via a priest and eat crackers to get saved (just do not leave your kids alone with said priests, OK?). Oh yeah..and Virgin Mary is way cool.

Church of England: Yeah, what the Catholic said...but divorce is 100% OK.
Unitarian Universalists: Why are you guys even trying to define Christianity? All beliefs are the same (whoops.we aint even Christians).

and the confusion goes on and on and on, each sect believing their sect will make heaven while others are heading to hell

our "True Christians" should visit this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3844519/meaninglessness-deep-personal-relationship-jesus and give explanation and clarifications as the spirit leads
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by hopefulLandlord: 3:48pm On Jun 25, 2017
Eportal123:
Your stupid family wasted time giving birth to you because your destiny will never rise

CC Adepeter26, Catfishbilly, OtemAtum
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by OtemAtum: 4:07pm On Jun 25, 2017
Eportal123:

The guy only said the truth, why this stupid curse nah? Anyway, if curses work as you believe, all our polithiefians won't be up there while you stink below

The more you curse, the more you sink below the one you curse. Rise up, use your brain, worship no god and do good to humanity. Stop wasting quality time cursing those who analyze the truth about the faults of your religion.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 25, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

CC Adepeter26, Catfishbilly, OtemAtum
You don't respond to every mention bro. You can't help but allow some idiot people stupidity to slide down.....
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ihatesycophant(m): 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2017
Opeomoope:
- anne
Anne,
gospel message wrong.
king.
church.
essence of church is).

If going to church was not as important the Bible will not have mentioned the Church in Antioch. The church in Antioch was a base for all Christians of the old as stated thus:
Acts 11:19-30 New International Version (NIV)
The Church in Antioch
"Now those who had been scattered by the persecution that broke out when Stephen was killed traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, spreading the word only among Jews. Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus.
The Lord’s hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord.
News of this reached the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.
Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch"

The word 'CHURCH' would not have appeared in the Bible if church is never a symbol where worship takes place.

Again, in Hebrews 10:25 it was emphatically and explicitly stated thus:
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching"
and in verse 28 it says:
"He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses"
The question is what is that Moses' law?
Read " Exodus 20:8-11
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it".
Now the question is, what is Sabbath day?
"Sabbath (/ˈsæbəθ/) is a day set aside for rest and worship. According to Exodus 20:8 the Sabbath is a day of rest, commanded by God to be kept as a holy day of rest, as God rested from creation"
Again, many places in the Bible that made mention church as stated in REVELATION CHAPTER (2) TWO.
There's always a purpose for every action of God concerning issue and not limited to that of the church as stated in Romans 10:17, Hebrews 10:25, Mathew 18:18-20
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ihatesycophant(m): 4:22pm On Jun 25, 2017
emmayayodeji:

Heresy you're preaching. Look Luke 2:36-37 at tell what you see.

36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; 37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
Luke 2:36-37 King James Version
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by femi4: 4:25pm On Jun 25, 2017
Opeomoope:
- anne
Anne,
gospel message wrong.
king.
church.
essence of church is).
Yes, but you won't grow and when temptation comes, you may fall easily
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Yemlabking: 5:32pm On Jun 25, 2017
9jajoseph:
back it up with the scripture where he said we shouldn't neglect our fellowship

This is a bible verse to support my point.:Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by luckyz4rea(m): 5:52pm On Jun 25, 2017
emmayayodeji:

Your opinion!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2017
The Christianity practiced in Africa and amongst blacks is just hypocrisy. We don't love ourselves, we only talk about prosperity and tithing, when last did your pastor preach about heaven and hell?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by pweetiedee(m): 6:35pm On Jun 25, 2017
ajimotoke:
ask her did she​ pay her tight? did she attend passover said by jesus to remember him. how many soul has she won...... if she can't answer this question she's not a Christian....all this are practice in church.

Yimu
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Emusan(m): 7:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
pweetiedee:

Yimu

Sorry I have to quote you because I saw one of your post where you said that you stop going to Church because of your Pastor's reaction to your people something like...though you're still a Christian.

But I was so amazed when I saw you sharing an Atheist post mocking Christianity.

Why do you think it's by joining hands with unbelievers and ridicule Christianity it's then you'll will make Jesus happy?

Or don't you think that you're going into an Atheist way?

I just want you to ask yourself some certain questions if you're truly believed that you're still a believer of Christ but if you've change your mind about Christianity/God that is seeing Christianity as lie or God is no more there, you can ignore this post.

Forgive me if you find me questions obsessive!

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by emmayayodeji(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2017
ihatesycophant:

Heresy you're preaching. Look Luke 2:36-37 at tell what you see.

36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; 37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
Luke 2:36-37 King James Version

So youre saying somewhere in the O T god dint condemn female ministers?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by pweetiedee(m): 7:29pm On Jun 25, 2017
Emusan:

Sorry I have to quote you because I saw one of your post where you said that you stop going to Church because of your Pastor's reaction to your people something like...though you're still a Christian.

But I was so amazed when I saw you sharing an Atheist post mocking Christianity.

Why do you think it's by joining hands with unbelievers and ridicule Christianity it's then you'll will make Jesus happy?

Or don't you think that you're going into an Atheist way?

I just want you to ask yourself some certain questions if you're truly believed that you're still a believer of Christ but if you've change your mind about Christianity/God that is seeing Christianity as lie or God is no more there, you can ignore this post.

Forgive me if you find me questions obsessive!

The post I shared...I can't remember, but I must have shared it for a reason.

And again...its none of ur business
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Emusan(m): 8:45pm On Jun 25, 2017
pweetiedee:

The post I shared...I can't remember, but I must have shared it for a reason.
And again...its none of ur business
Ok
But I've already tendered my apology. God will continue to lead us aright.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by gemale(m): 10:05pm On Jun 25, 2017
Opeomoope:
- anne
Anne,
gospel message wrong.
king.
church.
essence of church is).
My comment reflects my opinion so i might not be right. Kindly search scripture to validate what i'm about to say. Jesus left us two entities when He ascended into heaven. He left the church which He built on peter (& other apostles & disciples), then He sent the Holy Spirit to that same church on the day of Pentecost when they were gathered in one accord. It was from this church in the union and with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that was able to compile the Bible and spread Christianity around the world. Anyone who says that with purposeful avoidance & isolation of the church, he/she wants to enter heaven in my humble opinion is being deceived & it's highly likely that the enemy is trying to isolate that individual so as to inflict huge damage on him/her. Saying that because there's unrighteousness in the church, you don't want to go is like saying because there are sick people in the hospital, you wouldn't go for checkup; answer me who loses in the end? That's actually what the church is; a Spiritual hospital. People with all manner of Spiritual diseases & ailments are found there. Jesus is our physician & He's willing to heal whoever is willing to cooperate & submit to Him. Whoever isn't, He doesn't chase away & He doesn't force treatment on that person; He still makes His rounds hoping that they experience a change of heart before it's too late. Isn't it scripture that tell us that the church is the bride of Christ & that Christ is the head of the church and we all are His members? If the church is the bride of Christ and it is written that the 2 shall become 1, isn't shunning the church akin to shunning Jesus? Look at the human body; do the parts work in isolation? Can the legs say it doesn't need the hands or can the heart say it doesn't need the lungs? Yes, schisms in the church has made going to church seem unpalatable but even if one feels he/she doesn't have any reason to attend, be like Jesus and do it to fulfill all righteousness. Going to church wouldn't stop one from personally reading the bible, praying & having a personal relationship with God but to say one wants to do it alone smacks of hubris & self-righteousness. Saying you are better than most of the people found in church is being like that pharisee in the parable Jesus told who exalted himself & was pouring contempt on the tax collector instead of asking God for mercy in humility. It is pride and a proud person can't serve God in Spirit & truth. Pride is what caused the fall of lucifer & turned him & his fellow rebelling angels into the devil & demons respectively. Even the righteousness that 1 thinks 1 has; is it by our own working? Isn't it the grace of God that saves us & makes us worthy? Were we not once in sin before the Good Shepherd found us, cleansing us with His life & blood? St Paul said (in romans) that ALL have sinner & fallen short of God's glory. Every sinner is a yet to be reformed saint & every saint is a reformed sinner. If 1 truly believes in God, He wouldn't shun going to church because someway, somehow God would use those seemingly sinful & weak vessels to positively impart on the person (after all, didn't scripture say that God used the weak, foolish things of this world to confound the wise & strong so that no flesh would be able to boast?)
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ihatesycophant(m): 5:38am On Jun 26, 2017
emmayayodeji:

So youre saying somewhere in the O T god dint condemn female ministers?
No where in the old testament that God condemn female ministers. The only place Bible mentioned such was in 1Timothy 2 butlater said they shall be saved in Child bearing if they. continue in faith in verse 15.
Try and read this:
1 Timothy 2 King James Version (KJV)
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie notwink a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
The problem Christians has is that they tend to idolised a verse but refused to read through all the verses in a chapter to know the intent of the message in that chapter.
If Bible forbids female to teach, then it contradict Luke 2 where it talks about a prophetess and her duty in the temple. The warning of not teaching was overcame through child bearing and continuous faith in GOD.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? / How The Bible Shows That Abortion Is The Murder Of A Living Thing / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.