Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,938 members, 7,873,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:46 AM

Gold Discovered In South West - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gold Discovered In South West (13653 Views)

Oil Bunkers Depot Discovered In Lagos / Boko Haram Fuel Dump Discovered In Maiduguri (Photos) / Gold Discovered At Chinese Party Official’s Home - RT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 7:30pm On Jan 28, 2010
There is more gold in Northern Nigeria than in the SW. The question I raised previously was why gold in SW and N should be mined illegally while the authorities hound illegal oil bunkerers in the East and, especially, SS? Why is the goose different than the gander?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2010
asha 80:

[/b]
Yorubas actually had a head start in education over the easterners in general because of their earlier contact with europians but igbos kind of closed that gap from 1930 to 1950 because the kind of open society practised there

when was this earlier contact with Europeans?

are you confusing the SW with Benin and Warri?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 7:32pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

Name a[b] SINGLE[/b] school that predates schools in the SW. Whoever told you that your people held senior postions lied to you.
All those claims are part of the post-war propaganda told to young ones. They are nothing but fairy tales.
Check out most of the names of the indigenous ministers. They were Yoruba. Your folks by nature are traders before and after the war.

And if you must know, all those schools mentioned were established way before Zik's time

Provide dates and names and let's work around those. You cannot make claims without dates to prove. FACTS not fiction. Thanks. Igbos were holding higher positions pre war Nigeria. That is a FACT, to the extent that UI, UNILAG and YabaTech all had their first indigenous heads as Igbos.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by aloyemeka2: 7:36pm On Jan 28, 2010
How did Gold deposits turn into Igbo/Yoruba war?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 7:38pm On Jan 28, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Provide dates and names and let's work around those. FACTS not fiction. Thanks. Igbos were holding higher positions pre war Nigeria. That is a FACT, to the extent that UI, UNILAG and YabaTech all had their first indigenous heads as Igbos.

[b]I [/b]asked you to name a school. I have given you the names of those schools. Majority of them were established in
post 1840's. It is incumbent upon you to counter.
Don't duck the question.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 7:40pm On Jan 28, 2010
aloy-emeka:

Good question.
Ever since Okoromado (mekuss) came into the forum
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 7:43pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

[b]I [/b]asked you to name a school. I have given you the names of those schools. Majority of them were established in
post 1840's. It is incumbent upon you to counter.
Don't duck the question.
Name at least one specific school from your list established in 1840, then I can check it out. Thanks.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 7:46pm On Jan 28, 2010
aloy-emeka:

There is no Yoruba/Igbo war here, except you infer that asking a claimant to substantiate his claim means a war

This (quote below) is what the whole thing is about.

Yoruba men were the first three to get engineering degree in the whole continent of Africa, I am not talking about even Nigeria ooo, I am saying Africa in general.

They should simply prove that the first 3 Engineers in Nigeria/Africa were Yoruba, and the argument will be over, Pronto
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by chic2pimp(m): 7:50pm On Jan 28, 2010
aloy-emeka:

I tire ooooo undecided.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 7:53pm On Jan 28, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Name at least one specific school from your list established in 1840, then I can check it out. Thanks.

Not a problem

Here are some for you to chew on.

Baptist Academy, Lagos 1855
Baptist Boys High School, Lagos 1885
Methodist Boys High School, Lagos 1878
Methodist Girls High School, Lagos 1879
C.M.S Grammar School, Bariga, Lagos 1859

Now that I have obliged you, will you now answer my question?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Megadeals: 7:56pm On Jan 28, 2010
There is not enough of anything for our greed. If we can steal billions in oil money, we can steal billions more in gold money.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Habib16(m): 7:57pm On Jan 28, 2010
Sorry Pls including these Graphite, Coa-coa, Timber, Technology and the best of all ISLAM. They are all found in Kwara. More to come,

1 Like

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 28, 2010
This thread is getting derailed again,what's the topic again?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 8:03pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

Not a problem

Here are some for you to chew on.

Baptist Academy, Lagos 1855
Baptist Boys High School, Lagos 1885
Methodist Boys High School, Lagos 1878
Methodist Girls High School, Lagos 1879
C.M.S Grammar School, Bariga, Lagos 1859

Now that I have obliged you, will you now answer my question?

Hahahah! All Oyibo-established mission schools where they teach Bible knowledge. In this case muslims schools in Northern Nigeria preceed them. Make no mistake, I am not in doubt that there are more school buildings in Yorubaland, but are there more students of Yoruba origin? Hell No.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by twinskenny(m): 8:06pm On Jan 28, 2010
please they should not tell yaradua oo grin grin
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 28, 2010
Why?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by aloyemeka2: 8:11pm On Jan 28, 2010
Habib16:

Sorry Pls including these Graphite, Coa-coa, Timber, Technology and the best of all  ISLAM. They are all found in Kwara. More to come, 

It's like you found islam newly this one e dey shack you like this.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 8:14pm On Jan 28, 2010
Read about illegal gold mining in the north here
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-372779.0.html

See raw material (specifically gold) distribution in nigeria here
http://rmrdc.gov.ng/rmdcstates/Dist_of_RawMat1.htm
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 8:16pm On Jan 28, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Hahahah! All mission schools were they teach Bible knowledge. In this case muslims schools in Northern Nigeria preceed them.

Okoromado,

You are beaten. Man up and be a true Okoro and receive your lashes.  Most Nigerian greats went to those schools.

if you didn't know that the earliest Nigerian schools were established by the missionaries, then, like I suggested
earlier, you should enroll in first grade Nigerian history pronto, and stop embarrassing yourself with your
blind argument.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 8:36pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

Okoromado,

You are beaten. Man up and be a true Okoro and receive your lashes.  Most Nigerian greats went to those schools.

if you didn't know that the earliest Nigerian schools were established by the missionaries, then, like I suggested
earlier, you should enroll in first grade Nigerian history pronto, and stop embarrassing yourself with your
blind argument.

There is nothing to man up here. I was asking for dates to establish the fact. BTW, there are also mission schools established in the East. The fact that Lagos has most of the mission schools tells the influence of early contact with Europeans. That, no doubt gives Lagos, and not necessarily the entire Yorubaland, a headstart. But Igbos have since regained the impetus and actually supplanted Yorubas in education. The fact that mission schools were established in parts of Yorubaland in the mid to late 1800 but they got their first university graduate in the late-early 1900 could mean that Yorubas did not even harness the presence of the mission schools properly. Another education is needed here. Please comment. Thanks.

Earliest Western schools in Nigeria

Abia State
• Methodist College Uzuakoli 1923
• Government College Umuahia, Umuahia, est. 1929
Anambra State
• C.K.C Onitsha, est. 1937
• Dennis Memorial Grammar school, Onitsha, est. 1925
•Oyo State
• Ibadan Grammar School, Ibadan. Est. 31 March 1913.
• Government College, Ibadan, est. 1929
Cross River State
• Hope Waddell Training Institution, Calabar, est. 1895
•Ogun State
• Abeokuta Grammar School, Idi Aba, Abeokuta, est. 1908
• Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta, est. 1923
• Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode, est. 1913
Lagos State
• Baptist Academy, Obanikoro, established 1855
• Baptist Boys High School, Yaba, est. 1885
• Eko Boys High School, Mushin, est. 1913
• Igbobi College, Yaba, est. 1932
• King's College, Lagos, est. 1909
• Methodist Boys High School, Yaba, est. 1878
• Methodist Girls High School, Yaba, est. 1879
• C.M.S Grammar School, Bariga, est. 1859
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 8:41pm On Jan 28, 2010
Again note that Igbos have been migrating since adam and are among the students of schools in the West in considerable numbers. Infact, most of the students of Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar (est 1895) were Igbos. The reverse is not very correct except in few cases like the case of Dr. Ezekiel Adekunle Ifaturoti, the first mining Engineer (as we read from the link from Sefago) in Nigeria who studied at the Methodist Boys College, Uzuakoli Abia state, established in 1923.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 8:59pm On Jan 28, 2010
Mekusxyz:

There is nothing to man up here. I was asking for dates to establish the fact. BTW, there are also mission schools established in the East. The fact that Lagos has most of the mission schools tells the influence of early contact with Europeans. That, no doubt gives Lagos, and not necessarily the entire Yorubaland, a headstart. But Igbos have since regained the impetus and actually supplanted Yorubas in education. The fact that mission schools were established in parts of Yorubaland in the mid to late 1800 but they got their first university graduate in the late-early 1900 could mean that Yorubas did not even harness the presence of the mission schools properly. Another education is needed here. Please comment. Thanks.

Earliest Western schools in Nigeria

Abia State
• Methodist College Uzuakoli 1923
• Government College Umuahia, Umuahia, est. 1929
Anambra State
• C.K.C Onitsha, est. 1937
• Dennis Memorial Grammar school, Onitsha, est. 1925
•Oyo State
• Ibadan Grammar School, Ibadan. Est. 31 March 1913.
• Government College, Ibadan, est. 1929
Cross River State
• Hope Waddell Training Institution, Calabar, est. 1895
•Ogun State
• Abeokuta Grammar School, Idi Aba, Abeokuta, est. 1908
• Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta, est. 1923
• Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode, est. 1913
Lagos State
• Baptist Academy, Obanikoro, established 1855
• Baptist Boys High School, Yaba, est. 1885
• Eko Boys High School, Mushin, est. 1913
• Igbobi College, Yaba, est. 1932
• King's College, Lagos, est. 1909
• Methodist Boys High School, Yaba, est. 1878
• Methodist Girls High School, Yaba, est. 1879
• C.M.S Grammar School, Bariga, est. 1859

Dude, please stop embarrasing yourself in a public forum. You are implying that though the schools were built in Yoruba land but ibo people
were the one atending them because of their nomadic nature. Does that even sound like logic to you?

The first school in Ibo land was almost 64 years behind the first school in Yorubaland.
We are not even talking one school here, we are talking several schools that predate even NIGERIA as a country, and yet you want us to
believe that Ibo were the majority in those schools -some warped reasoning only you can pull out of your you know where.

Dude, We are talking 1850's when travelling from point A to B was an Herculean task.
I do not need to educate you further,  you can continue to believe your own hype. -- Iwo lo ni dun dun e.

BTW, you omitted Government Secondary School, Ilorin, 1914
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 9:03pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

Dude, please stop embarrasing yourself in a public forum. You are implying that though the schools were built in Yoruba land but ibo people
were the one atending them because of their nomadic nature. Does that even sound like logic to you?

The first school in Ibo land was almost 64 years behind the first school in Yorubaland.
We are not even talking one school here, we are talking several schools that predate even NIGERIA as a country, and yet you want us to
believe that Ibo were the majority in those schools -some warped reasoning only you can pull out of your you know where.

Dude, We are talking 1850's when travelling from point A to B was an Herculean task.
I do not need to educate you further,  you can continue to believe your own hype. -- Iwo lo ni dun dun e.

Ilorin is not Yorubaland. Dont let Saraki and Gambari get you. It is a fulani muslim enclave ruled by a northern muslim. Hahahah! Most of those schools of then probably had 1-10 students in attendance.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 9:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

I do not need to educate you further, you can continue to believe your own hype. -- Iwo lo ni dun dun e.

Did you read this below?

Again note that Igbos have been migrating since adam and are among the students of schools in the West in considerable numbers. Infact, most of the students of Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar (est 1895) were Igbos. The reverse is not very correct except in few cases like the case of Dr. Ezekiel Adekunle Ifaturoti, the first mining Engineer (as we read from the link from Sefago) in Nigeria who studied at the Methodist Boys College, Uzuakoli Abia state, established in 1923.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 9:17pm On Jan 28, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Ilorin is not Yorubaland. Dont let Saraki and Gambari get you. It is a fulani muslim enclave ruled by a northern muslim. Hahahah! Most of those schools of then probably had 1-10 students in attendance.

Ilorin is not Yoruba land because Saraki said so?? Did you even hear yourself?
Ilorin is not only Yoruba, it is 99.999 percent Yoruba. The entire kwara state is at least 95 percent undiluted Yoruba

Since you missed West African history in school, see below links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwara_State
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 9:21pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

Ilorin is not Yoruba land because Saraki said so?? Did you even hear yourself?
Ilorin is not only Yoruba, it is 99.999 percent Yoruba. The entire kwara state is at least 95 percent undiluted Yoruba

Since you missed West African history in school, see below links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwara_State

It does not matter what Ilorin was. As of today, Ilorin is ruled by an islamic ruler of Fulani origin as well as politically by Fulani people (Saraki). Fulani has since conquered Ilorin and it is now their vassal territory. Surely you are not about implying that a true Yoruba enclave is being ruled by somebody of a different tribe. That will be shameful, you know. When has a Yoruba ruled Kwara inn an elected manner? What sort of majority are they then in Kwara? Majority slaves and underdogs?
Civial Governors of Kwara State. How many are Yoruba in a so-called Yoruba majority state?

Adamu Atta Governor October 1979 October 1983 NPN 
Cornelius Olatungi Adebayo Governor October 1983 December 1983 NPN 

Shaaba Lafiaji Governor January 1992 November 1993 SDP 

Mohammed Lawal Executive Governor 29 May 1999 29 May 2003 ANPP 
Bukola Saraki Executive Governor 29 May 2003  PDP
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2010
Mekusxyz:

It does not matter what Ilorin was. As of today, Ilorin is ruled by an islamic ruler of Fulani origin as well as politically by Fulani people (Saraki). Fulani has since conquered Ilorin and it is now their vassal territory. Surely you are not about implying that a true Yoruba enclave is being ruled by somebody of a different tribe. That will be shameful, you know. When has a Yoruba ruled Kwara inn an elected manner? What sort of majority are they then in Kwara? Majority slaves and underdogs?
Civial Governors of Kwara State. How many are Yoruba in a so-called Yoruba majority state?

Adamu Atta Governor October 1979 October 1983 NPN 
Cornelius Olatungi Adebayo Governor October 1983 December 1983 NPN 

Shaaba Lafiaji Governor January 1992 November 1993 SDP 

Mohammed Lawal Executive Governor 29 May 1999 29 May 2003 ANPP 
Bukola Saraki Executive Governor 29 May 2003  PDP

Maybe you should educate yourself about the origin of these men.  Mind you I am a not a fan of any  one of them.
Three of them are pure Yorubas regardless of any nonsense Saraki might say, he's simply trying to pull a political stunt.
For the other two, one is Ebira, a subset of Yoruba, the other is from Kwara North.
None of them is Fulani,

In any event,  who is/was a Governor has nothing to do with the fact that Kwara state is at least 95 percent  Yoruba.
Kwarans will tell you that.
Why do you keep twisting the issue anyway? I am done with you.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 11:18pm On Jan 28, 2010
reporter?:

Maybe you should educate yourself about the origin of these men.  Mind you I am a not a fan of any  one of them.
Three of them are pure Yorubas regardless of any nonsense Saraki might say, he's simply trying to pull a political stunt.
For the other two, one is Ebira, a subset of Yoruba, the other is from Kwara North.
None of them is Fulani,

In any event,  who is/was a Governor has nothing to do with the fact that Kwara state is at least 95 percent  Yoruba.
Kwarans will tell you that.
Why do you keep twisting the issue anyway? I am done with you.
Not so fast. Can you show how Ebira is a subset of Yoruba? Or is this yet another false claim. As far as I know, Ebira is not related to Yoruba in terms of language.
Is Saraki Yoruba?
The only Yoruba there is Adebayo
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by abadaba(m): 12:07am On Jan 29, 2010
Reporter: Delete this your blind-folded post on Ebira people before they descend heavily on you. It seems you want to achieve what the Oyo empire did not achieve. STOP.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 12:17am On Jan 29, 2010
abadaba:

Reporter: Delete this your blind-folded post on Ebira people before they descend heavily on you. It seems you want to achieve what the Oyo empire did not achieve. STOP.

That is one of the problems with Yoruba: false (or unsubstantiated) claims
They claim they produced the first 3 engineers in Nigeria. They can only prove one (Herbert Macaulay). The rest 2 are unproven and probably unprovable. Engineering is a wide subject and being first in one aspect does not imply being first in the whole subject
Yoruba-controlled Yabatech has also claimed that that school is the the third oldest higher institution in Africa and 27 in the world. Now this from Yorubaman, reporter?
These are very laughable claims, but again, we are talking about Yoruba here grin grin grin
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 12:22am On Jan 29, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Not so fast. Can you show how Ebira is a subset of Yoruba? Or is this yet another false claim. As far as I know, Ebira is not related to Yoruba in terms of language.
Is Saraki Yoruba?
The only Yoruba there is Adebayo

I will not indulge you anymore.  Here is some info on:

Mohammed Alabi LawaL --- A direct descendant of Afonja. I'm sure you know who Afonja was

http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/latest/1135-lawal-ex-kwara-gov-dies-pm-news-lagos-.html

As for Saraki, he can call himself whatever. I really do not care. Still does not change the fact that Ilorin is 99 percent Yoruba.
Unless you have contrary proof, please present it to the world.
The old phrase goes like this; If  it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it's a duck.
Draw your own conclusion. Anybody can be anything in Nigeria for political gains.

As for Ebira, most I know had Yoruba first and last names.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 12:25am On Jan 29, 2010
reporter?:

As for Ebira, most I know had Yoruba first and last names.

Ebira is not Yoruba and has nothing do with Yoruba. Stop your false claims

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Inspects Construction Of J Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture & History / Name Governors Stealing Local Government Funds - Wike Tells Buhari / Niger Coup: ‘This Is Not Our War' – Orji Kalu Warns President Tinubu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.