Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,784 members, 7,875,940 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:01 AM

Gold Discovered In South West - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gold Discovered In South West (13657 Views)

Oil Bunkers Depot Discovered In Lagos / Boko Haram Fuel Dump Discovered In Maiduguri (Photos) / Gold Discovered At Chinese Party Official’s Home - RT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 12:38am On Jan 29, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Ebira is not Yoruba and has nothing do with Yoruba. Stop your false claims

You are not talking about Lawal anymore? There is no false claim here.  I do not need to claim Ilorin for Yoruba.
Ilorin is a Yoruba town period, nor do I need to claim Ebira -ask yourself for what end?
All my points about schools and early education have been substantiated with facts and name of  schools.
You keep jumping from one discourse to another.
Dude, you need to man up.  I gotta move on. I actually have a J.O.B
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 12:42am On Jan 29, 2010
Some perspective about early education in Nigeria

By 1879 the Yoruba had produced their first graduate, a lawyer by name Sapara Williams. In contrast, the first Igbo graduate could not emerge until about 1934. I believe his name was Dr. S. Onwu, a medical doctor. Despite this late start, due to no fault of the Igbo, Ndiigbo were able to catch up with the Yoruba by the 1960s. It was the investment in education in the 1930s and 1940s that yielded the dividends of the sixties, which saw the flowering of all aspects of Igbo culture and life.

Those were the hey days of the indefatigable The Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, the great Owele of Onitsha and the first Nigerian Governor General of Nigeria, as well as the first President of the Nigerian Federation; of the boycott king, the Hon. Maazi Mbonu Ojike; of the flamboyant wordsmith, the Hon. Kingsley Ozuomba Mbadiwe; of the political pragmatist, the Hon. Dr. Michael Iheonukara Okpara, of the cerebral scientist and parliamentarian Honorable Kalu Ezera; and of radical Zikists like R.B.K. Okafor, Mbazulike Amaechi, and Mokwugo Okoye to name but a few. Mention must also be made of Dr. Nwafor Orizu, President of the Nigerian Senate before the outbreak of hostilities. These political fire-eaters and strategists brought charisma, color, and candor into the Nigerian political scene and raised the status of the Igbo man to an unprecedented height.

The academic group was led by intellectual giants like Professor Kenneth O Dike, first Nigerian principal of the University of London College at Ibadan and its first Vice Chancellor for seven years. There was Professor Eni Njoku, first Vice Chancellor and principal officer of the University of Lagos. Writers like Cyprian Ekwensi, Chinua Achebe, and Christopher Okigbo dominated the literary scene. Even though the Igbo were latecomers in the field of education -- behind the Efik in the Cross Rivers State and the Ypruba of the South West -- by 1960, the year of Nigeria's independence, the Igbo had outstripped the Efik and were about at par with the Yoruba. The Igbo rise was so phenomenal that the Yoruba felt truly threatened and their leaders wondered aloud why the Igbo should take over the leadership of the University at Ibadan, a university located at the heartland of the Yoruba nation.

At the same time the business group led by tycoons like Okonkwo Kano, Sir Odumegwu Ojukwu of Nnewi, Chief Ihekwoaba ofNkwere, Chief Akwiwu -- who was the first mayor of Port Harcourt, Chief Nnanna Kalu of Abiriba (though of a younger generation) and Chief Abaecheta of Mbieri provided necessary financial and moral support to the political and academic communities and helped in the overall renaissance of Igbo culture, art, and entrepreneurship.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 12:46am On Jan 29, 2010
reporter?:

You are not talking about Lawal anymore? There is no false claim here. I do not need to claim Ilorin for Yoruba.
Ilorin is a Yoruba town period, nor do I need to claim Ebira -ask yourself for what end?
All my points about schools and early education have been substantiated with facts and name of schools.
You keep jumping from one discourse to another.
Dude, you need to man up. I gotta move on. I actually have a J.O.B

You claimed Ebira is a subset of Yoruba. That is a lie; admit it and move on. My argument with you about schools and early education was just to punish you as I know the facts already (you could see that I got the info myself). Yoruba was there before Igbos, but dat na yesteryears The story changed since before independence.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 12:52am On Jan 29, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Some perspective about early education in Nigeria

By 1879 the Yoruba had produced their first graduate, a lawyer by name Sapara Williams. In contrast, the first Igbo graduate could not emerge until about 1934. I believe his name was Dr. S. Onwu, a medical doctor. Despite this late start, due to no fault of the Igbo, Ndiigbo were able to catch up with the Yoruba by the 1960s. It was the investment in education in the 1930s and 1940s that yielded the dividends of the sixties, which saw the flowering of all aspects of Igbo culture and life.

Those were the hey days of the indefatigable The Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, the great Owele of Onitsha and the first Nigerian Governor General of Nigeria, as well as the first President of the Nigerian Federation; of the boycott king, the Hon. Maazi Mbonu Ojike; of the flamboyant wordsmith, the Hon. Kingsley Ozuomba Mbadiwe; of the political pragmatist, the Hon. Dr. Michael Iheonukara Okpara, of the cerebral scientist and parliamentarian Honorable Kalu Ezera; and of radical Zikists like R.B.K. Okafor, Mbazulike Amaechi, and Mokwugo Okoye to name but a few. Mention must also be made of Dr. Nwafor Orizu, President of the Nigerian Senate before the outbreak of hostilities. These political fire-eaters and strategists brought charisma, color, and candor into the Nigerian political scene and raised the status of the Igbo man to an unprecedented height.

The academic group was led by intellectual giants like Professor Kenneth O Dike, first Nigerian principal of the University of London College at Ibadan and its first Vice Chancellor for seven years. There was Professor Eni Njoku, first Vice Chancellor and principal officer of the University of Lagos. Writers like Cyprian Ekwensi, Chinua Achebe, and Christopher Okigbo dominated the literary scene. Even though the Igbo were latecomers in the field of education -- behind the Efik in the Cross Rivers State and the Ypruba of the South West -- by 1960, the year of Nigeria's independence, the Igbo had outstripped the Efik and were about at par with the Yoruba. The Igbo rise was so phenomenal that the Yoruba felt truly threatened and their leaders wondered aloud why the Igbo should take over the leadership of the University at Ibadan, a university located at the heartland of the Yoruba nation.

At the same time the business group led by tycoons like Okonkwo Kano, Sir Odumegwu Ojukwu of Nnewi, Chief Ihekwoaba ofNkwere, Chief Akwiwu -- who was the first mayor of Port Harcourt, Chief Nnanna Kalu of Abiriba (though of a younger generation) and Chief Abaecheta of Mbieri provided necessary financial and moral support to the political and academic communities and helped in the overall renaissance of Igbo culture, art, and entrepreneurship.

So if Yoruba had produced the first graduate by 1879, how hard is it then for you to deduce that the first three engineers were Yoruba?
I am not interested who is in on top now and who is below. This is where we Yoruba are different. We really don't give a s***t about
such competition.
I leave you to worry about stuffs like that. Too many of our people (Nigerians) are illiterates in any case.  That to me is alarming and needs to be addressed.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by reporter1: 12:56am On Jan 29, 2010
Mekusxyz:

You claimed Ebira is a subset of Yoruba. That is a lie; admit it and move on. My argument with you about schools and early education [b]was just to punish you a[/b]s I know the facts already (you could see that I got the info myself). Yoruba was there before Igbos, but dat na yesteryears The story changed since before independence.

Help!!! Mekuxxx is punishing me. Dude, seriously, you need help if that is what you could come up with.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 1:05am On Jan 29, 2010
reporter?:

So if Yoruba had produced the first graduate by 1879, how hard is it then for you to deduce that the first three engineers were Yoruba?
I am not interested who is in on top now and who is below. This is where we Yoruba are different. We really don't give a s***t about
such competition.
I leave you to worry about stuffs like that. Too many of our people (Nigerians) are illiterates in any case.  That to me is alarming and needs to be addressed.

Most of those who schooled early (before 1930) did not study science. It was mostly arts, law, economics etc. Infact only very few of those went beyond the mission secondary schools. That is why we hardly know any of them except Sapara and Herbert Macaulay, until Zik (and others) came into the picture in the early 1930s.  This argument can easily be rested if you provide the names of the two other engineers (apart from Herbert Macaulay). I wil not accepted any deduction not based on proven FACTS.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Mekusxyz: 1:20am On Jan 29, 2010
Yorabaland did not even produce the first educational institution in West Africa, yet they claim to produce the first 3 Engineers in Africa. They do not even restrict their false claims to Nigeria. When will they stop these false claims and lies that contribute to ridiculing Nigeria?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by mamagee3(f): 1:34am On Jan 29, 2010
And when the gold is sold, the thieves we have as leaders would then put the money in their bank accounts.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by oge4real(f): 1:48am On Jan 29, 2010
Good morning madam minister!
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by SEFAGO(m): 1:56am On Jan 29, 2010
So has anyone thought about harnessing the gold- like what do you need to start a mine. All this tribe talk na story. Oyibo man would set up shop soon in the SW and start a Gold company. Before you know it, this oyibo man would be on the list of richest people in the world on your own sweat. Una still dey here shouting about who was educated first grin
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by WilyWily5: 2:27am On Jan 29, 2010
Thank God, Amala people can now have a means of survival, and stop risking the life of their dirty stinking Zombi Soldiers because of oil.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by sjeezy8: 2:37am On Jan 29, 2010
Gold or no Gold bitumen or no bitumen. I dont care

Just make sure the money and business opportunities keeps flowing.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by becomricch: 3:18am On Jan 29, 2010
akigbemaru , I know the yorubas have the largest set of engineers in NIGERIA and africa. And the list is we are first in most of the field. I am an engineer.

but look at the list of those leaders now. do you see engineers among them. apart daniel(ogun). what is thier field of study.

Engineering build your mind and change your view of life.  The motto of Nuesa , use to be Engineering is for creative mind.

An engineers minds is more creative than a normal person. our mind have been train to think logical. We think better than any other group in the world. That what engineering training involve. solving task.

Now you see, if we have oil in nigeria, the chance of oil in benin republic is more than 50%, and already , they already found oil. And anyone calling them poor is not well informed. by the time we join them, thier GDP raise. thier per capital head is nearly the same as nigeria.

For us to control togo economy, we build a seaport at this point.

That means we have control of the 80 million people for business  and with nigeria been on the other side. we would still inflence new nigeria economy and control at least 25% of the business chain or more. In incoming distribution logistics of nigeria. so we are not going to be poor .

Now why the ijaws can has to  be part of the New benin republic see map of areas were the ijaws live with other groups., so how can you cut the ijaw to the east. you cant. it has to be on our side.

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by aloyemeka2: 3:23am On Jan 29, 2010
becomricch:

akigbemaru , I know the yorubas have the largest set of engineers in NIGERIA and africa. And the list is we are first in most of the field. I am an engineer.

but look at the list of those leaders now. do you see engineers among them. apart daniel(ogun). what is thier field of study.

Engineering build your mind and change your view of life.  The motto of Nuesa , use to be Engineering is for creative mind.

An engineers minds is more creative than a normal person. How mind have been train to think logical. We think better than any other group in the world. That what engineering training involve. solving task.

Now you see, if we have oil in nigeria, the chance of oil in benin republic is more than 50%, and already , they already found oil. And anyone calling them poor is not well informed. by the time we join them, thier GDP raise. thier per ca[ital head is nearly the same as nigeria.

For us to control togo economy, we build a seaport at this point.

That means we have control of the 80 million people for business  and with nigeria been on the other side. we would still inflence new nigeria economy and control at least 25% of the business chain or more. In incoming distribution logistics of nigeria. so we are not going to be poor .

Now why the ijaws can not be part of the New nigeria see map of areas were the ijaws live, so how can you cut the ijaw to the east. you cant. it has to be on our side.

If your type of engineering is what Yorubas use as to complete their engineering census, then I suggest they go back to the drawing board. I am sure Unilorin will soon withdraw your electricity engineering certificate on the grounds of 'our hand no dey for this kin agboju engineer  o'.

I am sure there must be a vocational school in or around Ilorin where you studied technical drawing or building technology and your delusion is mixing it up with Unilorin.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by becomricch: 3:33am On Jan 29, 2010
where did you go to school , yahoo boy. you dont even know how to write english.

What are the parameters uses for a census , you uneducated yahoo 419 tell me. I want to hear you  make sense for the first time in your life. You claim you are an igboman with PHD. Tell us what parameters is used.

Is adenuga going to invest in a desert. The far north is mostly desert. I have lived there.  We go for miles without finding any form of human. Go and ask Nigerian who have been to the north.
That why their men cover thier head because of sand wind in the forest entering your eyes. They were hat because the heat can go as much as over 40C.  it is so unbearable that i use to pour water on my bed before going to sleep.  We would go for miles with tornadoes approaching us. This is how the far north look likes.  So where is Adenuga going to invest in the desert. empty place. can you Glo now start hand cell phone to desert sand or Can Akingbola give bank account to sand.

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by aloyemeka2: 3:44am On Jan 29, 2010
becomricch:

where did you go to school , yahoo boy. you dont even know how to write english.

What are the parameters uses for a census , you uneducated yahoo 419 tell me. I want to hear you  make sense for the first time in your life. You claim you are an igboman with PHD. Tell us what parameters is used.

Is adenuga going to invest in a desert. The far north is mostly desert. I have lived there.  We go for miles without finding any form of human. Go and ask Nigerian who have been to the north.
That why their men cover thier head because of sand wind in the forest entering your eyes. They were hat because the heat can go as much as over 40C.   We would go for miles with tornadoes approaching us. This is how the far north look likes.  [size=14pt]So where is Adenuga going to invest in the desert. empty place. can you Glo now start hand cell phone to desert sand or Can Akingbola give bank account to sand.[/size]

LWKMD  grin grin grin

Who said anything about census?
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by becomricch: 3:48am On Jan 29, 2010
There are few people living there because the heat is so unbearable, over 40C some times. That most time, it never rain, and they have to pray so hard to God for rain. We leave and make them majority. They even show some of the rain prayer season on television.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by becomricch: 3:58am On Jan 29, 2010
Look at port harcourt map, you have igbos name. google and see the name of the street.

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by twinskenny(m): 7:50am On Jan 29, 2010
serious issues
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by micpet(m): 12:08pm On Jan 29, 2010
emeka pls which of d state did dey discovered stuff in south west.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Redman44(m): 12:24pm On Jan 29, 2010
Stop all these arguments about which tribe is the most educated We are talking about gold being discovered in the South West. While we continue our tribalistic diatribes on Nairaland, some dodgy politicians and engineers will soon set up shop and start mining the gold for their selfish ends. How can we ensure that this discovery is registered officially in government records and the public is made to know how proceeds from the sale of the gold nuggets will be used for national development? That is what we should be talking about angry angry Cheers.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by 4Play(m): 12:32pm On Jan 29, 2010
Back of the envelope calculation: 2 millions ounces sounds a lot but gold prices, currently at $1000+ per ounce, mean that the market value is $2bn+. By the time you take away the production cost, the net benefit for Nigeria from this particular 'discovery' could be just about $1bn.

Someone mentioned a recent discovery in Ghana, 1.8bn(estimates) barrels of crude oil. At market prices of $70+ per barrel, market value is around $130bn. Now that is news worthy.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by oydot1: 12:43pm On Jan 29, 2010
I think this minister do not know much about Nigeria soil before.But the question is will the FG take the advantage or we will still rely on petroleum
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by pek(m): 4:06pm On Jan 29, 2010
becomricch:

That why their men cover thier [/b]head because of sand wind in the forest entering your eyes. They [b]were hat because the heat can go as much as over 40C.  it is so unbearable that i use to pour water on my bed before going to sleep.   We would go for miles with tornadoes approaching us. This is how the far north look likes.  So where is Adenuga going to invest in the desert. empty place. can you Glo now start hand cell phone to desert sand or Can Akingbola give bank account to sand.

ENGINEER
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 29, 2010
strange how there's so much oil in saudi but limited oil in the sahara.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by aloyemeka2: 12:46am On Jan 30, 2010
micpet:

emeka pls which of d state did dey discovered stuff in south west.

You want to set up a vigilante group to guard the gold from Northern marauders? grin grin
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Toppytee(m): 11:33am On Jan 30, 2010
I have gone through all the posts on this topic and all i can muster is that i pity this country if our youths are embedded with these kind of thoughts how can this country progress.Imagine someone still talking about what people studied in the University,when in most advance countries their economies are been driven by people that did not even go to the four walls of the University.Here we are braging about Engineer this or that even when they did not make a world class discovery,we are now too cerfication conscious.The height of the whole rubbish was the submission by one of the posters that you need to be an Engineer to be a good leader,some we say you need to be a lawyer to be rule when in actaul fact leaders are born.In Nigeria what we have learnt is that all these qualifications put our so called leaders to in best position to defraud the state account.Thank God our constitution says all you need to be the president of this country is Secondary school certificate.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by slimes(m): 4:44pm On Jan 30, 2010
It shows that someone is not properly doing his homework because right from primary school, I've always known that gold is one of the major natural resources we have in the south west, Ilesha to be precise.
Sometime last year, Zamfara was found to be housing a huge amount of Iron ore. It is really pathetic that implementation of policies is far from the Nigerian government.
Crude Oil is like this, so exploited because of foreign investors. the government should do something about corruption because it is the age long menace of this economy. We have countless natural resources yet to be tapped.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by grafikdon: 4:52pm On Jan 30, 2010
aloy-emeka:

If your type of engineering is what Yorubas use as to complete their engineering census, then I suggest they go back to the drawing board. I am sure Unilorin will soon withdraw your electricity engineering certificate on the grounds of 'our hand no dey for this kin agboju engineer  o'.

I am sure there must be a vocational school in or around Ilorin where you studied technical drawing or building technology and your delusion is mixing it up with Unilorin.

Egwuofor Kwenu!!!  grin grin grin grin Ekili Dili Chuku no. 1!!!! grin grin grin LWKMD
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 30, 2010
this eletrical engineering thing dey disturb aloy emeka too much.

One has to wonder if becomerich or NL prevented her from going to college?

all kinds of bad belle just surfaces anytime she hears of someone with a professional degree. Especially if they're from the "wrong" tribe.

She immediately concocts stories of how she either has a pharmacy degree, has a couple of cousins studying medicine in Europe and the US, or is engaged to (vs has an uncle who is) a wealthy rich man from you know where.

They have a name for this syndrome in psychology.
Re: Gold Discovered In South West by DAVE5(m): 12:55am On Feb 02, 2010
where in the south so i can contact my ph boys for invasion

Re: Gold Discovered In South West by sulad82i(m): 12:22pm On Feb 02, 2010
Another money making machine for some

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari In Edo To Bid Oshiomhole Bye / Adams Oshiomhole Appoints Goodswill Akpabio As APC Leader In Akwa Ibom State / Tinubu: Rescue Of Kankara Schoolboys Has Vindicated PMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.