Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,571 members, 7,972,144 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 03:42 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2324201 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (1822) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:54am On May 07, 2013
abunafiu,
lol! cutting wire technology indeed! grin

ok, i know this is just a temporary fix to enable you test the performance of your
mppt charge controller. going forward try and get a piece of meter board on which you can
screw the tristar firmly to the wall. it will save you from accidentally damaging the
charge controller should that wire eventually give way. just a thought.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 9:58am On May 07, 2013
@abunafiu2
Congrats and welcome to the club. One point though; you need to totally empty those gen and kegs of fuel if you must keep it near your setup.

Nice innovation;the way you installed your panels.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 9:59am On May 07, 2013
Hello George D.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dozymars(m): 10:32am On May 07, 2013
For More Information on Inverters, you can visit this website:

www.inverternigeria.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 11:10am On May 07, 2013
Nice
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 11:14am On May 07, 2013
Akanniade: @abunafiu2
Congrats and welcome to the club. One point though; you need to totally empty those gen and kegs of fuel if you must keep it near your setup.

Nice innovation;the way you installed your panels.

Like to ask where the sun is coming grime, is it from the big roof to the small roof, or is it on the line of the gutter of the roof, I hope it's on the line of the gutter, if not u will loose a lot of energy from sunrise and sunset, u know mppt loves cool temp.

Hope this post would not be hidden
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 11:56am On May 07, 2013
TotalGreen:

Like to ask where the sun is coming grime, is it from the big roof to the small roof, or is it on the line of the gutter of the roof, I hope it's on the line of the gutter, if not u will loose a lot of energy from sunrise and sunset, u know mppt loves cool temp.

Hope this post would not be hidden
Even if the sun is from small/big roof side, the loss will not be as much as placing it on the roof itself- the inclination is much. Besides the albedo(surrounding reflectivity) which is the roofings is good.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:46pm On May 07, 2013
All my post have been hidden.........
Let me quickly add these pics.
Picture showing the whole set up and my day 1 harvest....Kwara sun badth.....

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 6:08am On May 08, 2013
Need additional lectures...
I usually discharge my batteries to 24.5V(50% soc) daily, i noticed the following:
Charging stage 1: MPPT
Charging stage 2: ABSORBTION
Charging stage 3: FLOAT

When is BULK suppose to set in, or am i experiencing a normal thing.
I downloaded the MSVIEW software but i was unable to connect the controller to my PC using ETHERNET.
I downloaded one TRISTAR NETWORKING COMPANION and i saw directions but i still dont get it.
I need my OATTs(oga@d tops) to put me tru.

Also, i need to know why the controller displays HVD while charging with PHCN and solar simultaneously...Although the HVD comes after about 2-3 hrs of charging and bright sun.
Am i suppose to modify anything,on my setup because i have disconnected PHCN totally for the past 3-4 days.
I also read some that one can add a switch that can simultaneously cut power TO and FROM the controller as well as the PV, i now came up with the idea of the KNIFE SWITCH(people use often as change over). If connected prperly, i think this can disconnect the PV and BATTERY from the controller simultaneously.
I need suggestions pls.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zoboizee: 9:46am On May 08, 2013
Maybe a pdf write up will help. To me, the connection of Phcn, gen or solar really need to be sorted out very well when connecting it via DIY. Because if there should be mistake, na sand sand for garri o!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 1:10pm On May 08, 2013
abunafiu: Need additional lectures...
I usually discharge my batteries to 24.5V(50% soc) daily, i noticed the following:
Charging stage 1: MPPT
Charging stage 2: ABSORBTION
Charging stage 3: FLOAT

When is BULK suppose to set in, or am i experiencing a normal thing.
I downloaded the MSVIEW software but i was unable to connect the controller to my PC using ETHERNET.
I downloaded one TRISTAR NETWORKING COMPANION and i saw directions but i still dont get it.
I need my OATTs(oga@d tops) to put me tru.

Also, i need to know why the controller displays HVD while charging with PHCN and solar simultaneously...Although the HVD comes after about 2-3 hrs of charging and bright sun.
Am i suppose to modify anything,on my setup because i have disconnected PHCN totally for the past 3-4 days.
I also read some that one can add a switch that can simultaneously cut power TO and FROM the controller as well as the PV, i now came up with the idea of the KNIFE SWITCH(people use often as change over). If connected prperly, i think this can disconnect the PV and BATTERY from the controller simultaneously.
I need suggestions pls.

I will try here, why u don't see bulk is cause u are using mppt controller, only the regular non mppt controller will show u bulk, basically look at the mppt status as BULK

Nepa and charge controller at the same time, the system is telling u that ur combine charge voltage it's too high HVD "high voltage disconnect", in this case the controller will shut down must of its charging current (I guess).

I don't know if that helps
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:15pm On May 08, 2013
Akanniade: Hello George D.

akanniade,

its been quite a while. how's your set up performing?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 5:05pm On May 08, 2013
Thanks to zeebozie and totalgreen for ur prompt reply.
I still need other pros in d house to explain better charging batteries with PHCN and Solar.
Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:23pm On May 08, 2013
abunafiu,
sorry i'm just seeing your post for the first time. i guess i must have skipped it when replying akanniade.

ok, so the issue of your tristar not getting into 'bulk' mode is exactly as total green has explained. for
tristar mppt charge controllers, 'mppt' takes the place of 'bulk'. you only get to see bulk mode with ordinary
tristar pwm controllers.

hvd alarm in tristars usually comes up when your system voltage gets higher than the solar array output voltage
and this usually happens when charging simultaneously with phcn and solar panels and when your battery voltage
begins to rise as it becomes full. this is a safety feature with tristars and you don't have to worry about it.

however, if you still want to avoid this alarm entirely, you either don't charge with phcn and solar
simultaneously (in which case your system will no longer be a hybrid system) or maybe you could install either
a normally open (no) or normally closed (nc) contactor. this is not my field so i cannot expatiate on the fine
details. your suggestion of using a changeover (or knife switch - as you call it) may not cut it as it will be
too cumbersome to operate since it will require continuous monitoring by someone who needs to be constantly
on standby to switch it on and off.

hope this helps?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:52pm On May 08, 2013
George_D: abunafiu,
sorry i'm just seeing your post for the first time. i guess i must have skipped it when replying akanniade.

ok, so the issue of your tristar not getting into 'bulk' mode is exactly as total green has explained. for
tristar mppt charge controllers, 'mppt' takes the place of 'bulk'. you only get to see bulk mode with ordinary
tristar pwm controllers.

hvd alarm in tristars usually comes up when your system voltage gets higher than the solar array output voltage
and this usually happens when charging simultaneously with phcn and solar panels and when your battery voltage
begins to rise as it becomes full. this is a safety feature with tristars and you don't have to worry about it.

however, if you still want to avoid this alarm entirely, you either don't charge with phcn and solar
simultaneously (in which case your system will no longer be a hybrid system) or maybe you could install either
a normally open (no) or normally closed (nc) contactor. this is not my field so i cannot expatiate on the fine
details. your suggestion of using a changeover (or knife switch - as you call it) may not cut it as it will be
too cumbersome to operate since it will require continuous monitoring by someone who needs to be constantly
on standby to switch it on and off.

hope this helps?
Sir,
You are on point. A contactor will fit in as u said. When ever there is PHCN, it should cut out power(battery and Solar simultaneously). Once there is a power cut, it'll restore them simultaneously.
I will have to work on the design on a vero board an see how it goes. Once tru, i'll give the complete circuit diagram so that others can benefit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:27pm On May 08, 2013
George_D:

akanniade,

its been quite a while. how's your set up performing?
Am good. My setup is doing fine. I hardly check on it though. Battery DOD hardly goes below 70%.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:39pm On May 08, 2013
@abunafiu
If your inverter and charge controller can tolerate other charging source (check manual), I see no reason to bother about the alarm. Worst case, desolder the beeper from the controller.
I dont use tristar but most mppt ctrls are built to tolerate external charging source. Doing a manual isolation sounds cumbersome to me. If you use a contactor like you are suggesting, make sure you install a delay timer so as to prevent cycling during nepa fluctuation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:14am On May 09, 2013
akanniade,

you are very much on point.

and, its good to know that your system is firing as usual.

however, i suggest you still take time to monitor your system (whenever you can)

so as to be on top of any abnormally should it occur.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:31am On May 09, 2013
abunafiu,

take my advice and don't stress yourself over your tristar hvd alarm.

when i first started using mine, i was a little worried myself and almost decided to
install a contactor but after so many years of use i'm glad i never bothered to install
any. the hvd alarm is an oem feature built into the tristar and should not really be a problem
for you. for one it is not audible (so no problem of beeping or anything like that). the leds
of the tristar are designed to cycle for a while and after a few minutes it will reset itself
and resume charging from where it left off. it requires no manual intervention from anyone.
however you can always reset it by pushing the reset button if you want it to return to
charging mode earlier.

again, forget about the contactor and just go ahead and let your controller do its thing.
like akanniade said, most high-end charge controllers like your tristar were built with a
hybrid setup in mind. they are designed to work with multiple charging inputs including solar,
wind, geo-thermal and direct public power all charging your battery bank at the same time.
if working with multiple power sources were a problem for charge controllers then nobody
would be installing a hybrid system as of today.

i have studied most hybrid inverter and charge controller wiring diagrams online and never once
have i seen anywhere a contactor was installed between the inverter and charge controller.

you too can take your time to go online and verify this.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 12:45pm On May 09, 2013
Please i need your help on these setup of mine.
I have 2 setups of inverter, a 24v-1.5kva (home) and 48v-3.5kva (office) both Sukam.

1. I need a solar panel connection (either in series or parallel or in combination of both) suitable for the setup above.

2. Number of solar panel watt ie. 100w, 120, 200 or 250 suitable for this ( i read mono crystalline is good)

3. MPPT Amps type ie. 20, 30 or 45 ( i read morning star, tristar and secta are among the good ones)

4. Wires... i guess 6mm is okay?

I l already know how to manage battery consumption and dod.
I will appreciate any additional information that could be added.

Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hisenjos: 1:44pm On May 09, 2013
Hello guys,
Long time lurker here. Good to see the advances going green.
@abunafiu
Can you send the contact for the Joy Solar panels and telecom batteries to hisenjos (at) gmail.com

@at all - please if you have the contact of sellers for the powersafe telecom batteries, send to me too.

thanks

abunafiu:
Oga George, if u dont mind i got my JOY SOLAR panels (120W) for less than 25K, i can give u my contact in lagos.
I also sent easter greetings 2 ur 0807xxxxxxxx50 number but got delivery report failed.
Do av a nice weekend sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 1:50pm On May 09, 2013
deeplo:
I have 2 setups of inverter, a 24v-1.5kva (home) and 48v-3.5kva (office) both Sukam.

1. I need a solar panel connection (either in series or parallel or in combination of both) suitable for the setup above.

2. Number of solar panel watt ie. 100w, 120, 200 or 250 suitable for this ( i read mono crystalline is good)

3. MPPT Amps type ie. 20, 30 or 45 ( i read morning star, tristar and secta are among the good ones)

Thank you

How many batteries do u have, and what's the ratings
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 5:11pm On May 09, 2013
@ Totalgreen,
1.5kva..... 12v,200AH
3.5kva..... 12v,200AH

for a start, how many solar panel would recommend i could start with for the set up above,
including MPPT Amps rate.
Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 5:20pm On May 09, 2013
@ Totalgreen,
1.5kva..... 12v,200AH...24v
3.5kva..... 12v,200AH...48v

for a start, how many solar panel would recommend i could start with for the set up above,
Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:13pm On May 09, 2013
George_D: abunafiu,

take my advice and don't stress yourself over your tristar hvd alarm.

when i first started using mine, i was a little worried myself and almost decided to
install a contactor but after so many years of use i'm glad i never bothered to install
any. the hvd alarm is an oem feature built into the tristar and should not really be a problem
for you. for one it is not audible (so no problem of beeping or anything like that). the leds
of the tristar are designed to cycle for a while and after a few minutes it will reset itself
and resume charging from where it left off. it requires no manual intervention from anyone.
however you can always reset it by pushing the reset button if you want it to return to
charging mode earlier.

again, forget about the contactor and just go ahead and let your controller do its thing.
like akanniade said, most high-end charge controllers like your tristar were built with a
hybrid setup in mind. they are designed to work with multiple charging inputs including solar,
wind, geo-thermal and direct public power all charging your battery bank at the same time.
if working with multiple power sources were a problem for charge controllers then nobody
would be installing a hybrid system as of today.

i have studied most hybrid inverter and charge controller wiring diagrams online and never once
have i seen anywhere a contactor was installed between the inverter and charge controller.

you too can take your time to go online and verify this.
Most grateful sirs.......
i am worried due to fact that i did not come across the HVD in any of ur posts.
Your endorsement sweet me like eyes water[i][/i].........Thanks Sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:31pm On May 09, 2013
deeplo:

Thank you
As for me, i use 1500WATTS genius inverter @24V,
4 pieces of 155AH used tellecomm battery,
8 pieces of 120W MONO solar panels and i intend adding 2 more soon
and recently a 60A tristar MPPT.
I use it to power
1 40in LCD for more than 12hrs daily,
2 ceiling fans for aprox 16hrs,
4 20W bulbs for aprox 10hrs
and a 300W fridge(4 to 5 hrs daily)
I hope this answers some of ur questions...you can as well see pics of my set up.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 4:16pm On May 10, 2013
deeplo: @ Totalgreen,
1.5kva..... 12v,200AH...24v

Thank you

Hi,
Sorry I delayed in reply
I like doing my calc from battery up, I assume u have 2 battery for this setup.
Rules .. For long use of battery, u should not charge a battery faster than 5hrs, so 200/5 is 40 amps, so your maximum charge should be 40amps

Since u requested to do mppt, I would recommend the Morningstar mppt 45amps version, for 24volts the maximum array u can use is 1200watts, so if u do ur numbers here.
For me I do sharp panels 220watts 24v, so u will require 6 of this panels, 2seeies 3strings

doing my calc from battery up, I assume u have 4 battery for this setup.
Rules .. For long use of battery, u should not charge a battery faster than 5hrs, so 200/5 is 40 amps, so your maximum charge should be 40amps

Since u requested to do mppt, I would recommend the Morningstar mppt 45amps version, for 48volts the maximum array u can use is 2400watts, so if u do ur numbers here.
For me I do sharp panels 220watts 24v, so u will require 9 of this panels, 3seeies 4strings

My recommendation for future expansion on the battery is to buy the Morningstar mppt 60amps, so when u increase your battery and voltage system, it will be there for u.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by deeplo(m): 6:07pm On May 10, 2013
@ Abunafiu,
thanks for your contribution and i must say, am jealous of you. lol. thanks man
@ Totalgreen,
your username says it all, i admire your experience and expertise. Thanks a lot
i will start working on what you have explained here. its going right into my
top list.

RECOMMENDATION:
am going for 60amps MPPT for both
3 panels on series for 24kva
6 panels on 2 series 3 strings for 3.5kva
both will be like that for a start and more panel will be added with batteries

Have learn a lot from you guys.... thanks so so so much

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 6:51pm On May 10, 2013
I dont know if this is right,
Can i connect a second inverter[b](non charging type)[/b] to my set up
such that i can reduce load on my 1.5KVA genius. Its power source shall be
my battery bank.
This means two inverters on a single battery bank but only one of the inverters can charge.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 11:34am On May 11, 2013
abunafiu: I dont know if this is right,
Can i connect a second inverter[b](non charging type)[/b] to my set up
such that i can reduce load on my 1.5KVA genius. Its power source shall be
my battery bank.
This means two inverters on a single battery bank but only one of the inverters can charge.

Yes u can, not a problem
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:28pm On May 11, 2013
i think you u can, no biigie..

right now..i only have 2units of 12v 200ah powering my 24v inverter...then recently i noticed that my usage hrs dropped drastically to less than 2hrs...even when fully charged, i investigated and discovered thst one of my batteries voltage is only 10v...implying that the battery is dead!..so what i did was hook up another 12v non charging inverter to the + & - terminals of the remaining good battery, while still leaving the 2 batteries in series and charging it with the 24v inverter....................this is a short term procedure as am waiting to get some time off from work so i can go to lagos and buy 2 brand new telcom batteries from the arthur guy......

and this my starnge connection has been serving me for abt 3wks now. grin angry
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 3:52pm On May 11, 2013
earthrealm: i think you u can, no biigie..

right now..i only have 2units of 12v 200ah powering my 24v inverter...then recently i noticed that my usage hrs dropped drastically to less than 2hrs...even when fully charged, i investigated and discovered thst one of my batteries voltage is only 10v...implying that the battery is dead!..so what i did was hook up another 12v non charging inverter to the + & - terminals of the remaining good battery, while still leaving the 2 batteries in series and charging it with the 24v inverter....................this is a short term procedure as am waiting to get some time off from work so i can go to lagos and buy 2 brand new telcom batteries from the arthur guy......

and this my starnge connection has been serving me for abt 3wks now. grin angry

Sorry would not like to burst your bobble, but u are killing your battery, u see now that ur battery is dead, the dead battery is killing the second one, and u are killing it as well by draining it, my advice is when u buy a new battery buy two at once

My 2cent

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (1822) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.