Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,572 members, 7,972,144 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 03:46 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2324206 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (1822) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:42pm On May 11, 2013
yeah i know am killing the battery....its not useful to me anymore, cos i wudnt want to mix it with the new batteries i intend to get soon...thats why i want to shell out good dough and buy 2 new telecom batteries in lagos.........am done with buying toks/fairly used batteries.....tis not worth it!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:10pm On May 11, 2013
oga earthrealm, kindly share what ur experience was like when u were using toks tellecomm batts.
My current battery bank consist of toks tell batts.
and i am enjoyin them....Before i paid for them, i was allowed to use for 1 week.
what i did was that i charged the batts to float(26.9 to 27.0V) with PHCN, i then disconnected the batts for 3 days, the batts maintained a voltage of 26.5 after 3days so i was convinced the batts were still good. On loading the batts, the volatge at d terminals read 25.6 which is more than 100% soc.
So sir, kindly share ur experience because economy hard these days o....Expecting u sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 12:02am On May 12, 2013
abunafiu: oga earthrealm, kindly share what ur experience was like when u were using toks tellecomm batts.
My current battery bank consist of toks tell batts.
and i am enjoyin them....Before i paid for them, i was allowed to use for 1 week.
what i did was that i charged the batts to float(26.9 to 27.0V) with PHCN, i then disconnected the batts for 3 days, the batts maintained a voltage of 26.5 after 3days so i was convinced the batts were still good. On loading the batts, the volatge at d terminals read 25.6 which is more than 100% soc.
So sir, kindly share ur experience because economy hard these days o....Expecting u sir.

My friends and brothers in the green world, pls pls try and buy new batteries, not just new batteries, but batteries that have a date manufacture, from my little experience, all this batteries u call telco batteries, the are called front access batteries, does not mean the are that much better than the regular square looking batteries.

Now lets talk about the very hyped batteries that is so called "telco batteries", this batteries are manufactured you sit on the shelf for 5years meaning that if u use or not, the should expire just about 5years, so how do u know when a ressseller has imported the ones that have been sitting on the shelf for 4years, the only way is to know from they date of manufacture.

Now this so called "telco batteries" also have the amount if time you can circle them based on DOD "dept of discharge" like has been discussed in this group before, 50% is always the industry standard, but we never adhere to it as explained by my Oga Goege_D, for telco batteries at best with 50% u should re cycle about 1500 max and I am being lenient with this number, the only reason toks front access batteries last a bit more for us is cause all this abstruse have DOD of about 20% or less, the likes of Mtn Glo airtel etc, change this batteries after a few years, and the hardly discharge the batteries, mainly for change over, so we rush to buy them cause the are cheap.

A true test on those batteries when ever u get them, connect like ur home iron or anything that is above 2000watts for about 20 to 30 mins and see how it works, if it survives it, then know that the battery is manageable for a while.

Finally pls pls pls buy new and dated batteries, always try not to build on a wrong foundation when it comes to renewable.

Just my 2cent

Excuse my typo, I dey use my phone to type

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 1:35pm On May 14, 2013
yesterday, i successfully dismantled my setup. i hope to give pics showing step by step installation on new site.
which is the best, south facing roof or what?. am sure my dstv dish faces east,,so i can take it up from there.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:43pm On May 14, 2013
abunafiu,
congrats on your relocation to a better site. you should ordinarily mount your solar panels
facing south and using your location's latitude as your reference from horizontal if you want to
get optimal performance from them. however, from experience this may not always be practicable due
to physical limitations on ground. therefore you can always tinker with the horizontal angle
orientation as long as the panels are facing south at the end of the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 4:05pm On May 15, 2013
George_D: abunafiu,
congrats on your relocation to a better site. you should ordinarily mount your solar panels
facing south and using your location's latitude as your reference from horizontal if you want to
get optimal performance from them. however, from experience this may not always be practicable due
to physical limitations on ground. therefore you can always tinker with the horizontal angle
orientation as long as the panels are facing south at the end of the day.
Thanks sir, am still on planning stage...observing the sunrise and sunset pattern of my new site.
I hope i'll be tru by this weekend.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 9:43pm On May 15, 2013
Thank God I got my e Tracer MPPT solar charge controller. Today
Pictures of my revised installation to follow soon.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:59pm On May 15, 2013
olarevo: Thank God I got my e Tracer MPPT solar charge controller. Today
Let me be the first 2 say congrats........ure welcome BOSS.....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:40am On May 16, 2013
olarevo,
congrats for the mppt charge controller. what is the current and voltage rating
of this e tracer?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 8:12pm On May 16, 2013
olarevo: Thank God I got my e Tracer MPPT solar charge controller. Today

Good one
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 9:02pm On May 17, 2013
George_D: olarevo,
congrats for the mppt charge controller. what is the current and voltage rating
of this e tracer?
It's 48v/45ah
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:00am On May 20, 2013
olarevo:
It's 48v/45ah

Knock knock
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2013
I successfully installed my site......pics 2 follow soon but for poor internet connection.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:10am On May 22, 2013
hello abunafiu,
congratulations on your successful installation.i do hope you find the time

to post your pictures real soon.we are all waiting to see them.cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 4:21pm On May 23, 2013
TotalGreen:

Knock knock

Here are some of the pics of my PWM setup.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:29pm On May 23, 2013
Just started a new installation.
5kw
20× 250watts(polycrystalline panels)
Flexmax 80 charge controller.
36volts/3.6kw tripplite inverter.
2v/500ah battery(not delivered yet).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:58pm On May 23, 2013
wow! @ akanniade!!..this na multimillion naira project o.....congrats..

@ house this issue of dc fuse has cropped up again...what amperage of fuse should i buy...and where is the fuse placed..btw panles n charge controller or btw charge controller and battery?
most of the fuses am seeing seem too 100amp to 200amp big..i have orrdered 45amp mppt charge controller, 1000w panels and 400ah battery bank
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 8:44pm On May 23, 2013
Am using scaffold pipe and aluminium profile. Its less expensive than welding job.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 8:56pm On May 23, 2013
earthrealm: wow! @ akanniade!!..this na multimillion naira project o.....congrats..
Thanks,but its far from multimillion project o. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 9:27pm On May 23, 2013
Akanniade: Just started a new installation.
5kw

Bless u, that's the way to go
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 9:56pm On May 23, 2013
earthrealm:

@ house this issue of dc fuse has cropped up again...what amperage of fuse should i buy...and where is the fuse placed..btw panles n charge controller or btw charge controller and battery?
most of the fuses am seeing seem too 100amp to 200amp big..i have orrdered 45amp mppt charge controller, 1000w panels and 400ah battery bank
You need dc breaker btw your array and charge controller. Also between charge controller and battery bank. You can also use fuse instead. You can use fuse calculator to estimate wire guage size for your fuse wire. Get the right gauge and install in your fuse holder.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:00pm On May 23, 2013
TotalGreen:

Bless u, that's the way to go
Thanks man. Its a gift for my oldman.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:37am On May 24, 2013
olarevo:

Here are some of the pics of my PWM setup.

olarevo,
we didn't see your pictures. your post only shows two 'default' links and when you click
on the links, it downloads a file that is unreadable.

kindly consider re-attaching your pictures using the 'browse' icon.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:43am On May 24, 2013
Akanniade: Just started a new installation.
5kw

hello akanniade,

congratulations on your new project. just a quick one: your total array current could top 135 amps
on a sunny day and so are you sure it won't be a good idea splitting your array and using two flexmax
charge controllers? will your charge controller be able to handle such a current overload?

also, this is an entirely new project, so does it mean you are doing away with your first installation?
what happened to it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 5:50pm On May 24, 2013
George_D:

hello akanniade,

congratulations on your new project. just a quick one: your total array current could top 135 amps
on a sunny day and so are you sure it won't be a good idea splitting your array and using two flexmax
charge controllers? will your charge controller be able to handle such a current overload?

also, this is an entirely new project, so does it mean you are doing away with your first installation?
what happened to it?
Thanks GeorgeD. Its in my dads house.As to your other questions,the panel name plate will explain it better.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 5:59pm On May 24, 2013
^^Thanks GeorgeD. I just realise :oyour point about using 2 charge controllers. I guess the easiest way out for me is to step up to a 48v system(I dont want to run two arrays).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:26pm On May 24, 2013
Finally mounted all the panels. Thanks to my good friends who contributed substantial man-hours.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IHacked: 9:07pm On May 24, 2013
wow this panels cos you a lot
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:53am On May 25, 2013
Akinade, thumbs up 4 ur latest installation.
I also need 2 apologise 2 d house for delay in posting pics of my new installation. Am having serious challenges here due 2 poor mobile network reception due 2 d location of d new site.. I'll need 2 post the pics when am in d office.
Meanwhle, akin kindly give d specs of ur solar panels, inverter and battery bank. Your initial post are not clear enough for me. Thanks. Congrats.

House, the used tellco batteries are not worth it. Pls always buy new ones @ totalgreen u are very correct.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:34pm On May 25, 2013
Akanniade: ^^Thanks GeorgeD. I just realise :oyour point about using 2 charge controllers. I guess the easiest way out for me is to step up to a 48v system(I dont want to run two arrays).

akanniade,
i'm glad you've seen my point.however even at a nominal system voltage of 48v, your 5kw solar array could be maxing over 100 amps on a very sunny day.not a problem though if your charge controller can handle current overload up to a certain amount.
congratulations once again on your installation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 3:40pm On May 25, 2013
George_D & others, Please urgent advice needed. Which of this would you advise buy
http://www.buyright.biz/index.php?module=product&event=viewdetail&pid=94
http://www.buyright.biz/index.php?module=product&event=viewdetail&pid=109
Note promo is on and end by 30th June 2013.
I'm planning to purchase the one in the first link, but don't know the added features/advantage of the second over the first
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:04pm On May 25, 2013
George_D:

akanniade,
i'm glad you've seen my point.however even at a nominal system voltage of 48v, your 5kw solar array could be maxing over 100 amps on a very sunny day.not a problem though if your charge controller can handle current overload up to a certain amount.
congratulations once again on your installation.
The flexmax 80 user manual actually recommends 5kw array.The panels are polycrystalline.I would be suprised if it achieves nameplate power. Am resting today. Will start the wiring on monday.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (1822) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.