Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,167 members, 7,943,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 09:17 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2278204 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (1802) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 10:50am On Oct 14, 2013
bodejohn:

The Voc of the new panels should be a close match of the existing ones.
What size of panels in Watts are you planning to buy? I will suggest you get another 230 or 250watts panel even if it is of a different brand.
Otherwise you will be loosing power again, Do not forget about the non critical loads that you need to shed especially at night.

Hi, its a 260W panel. I thought it was the Vmp that needed consideration. The Voc difference is 6.5V. Is that close or not? Will it work?
If that is not close, what is the impact if I mix the panels please?

Sure I have noted the comment on reducing the load at night

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 10:53am On Oct 14, 2013
kie kie: HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

PERLIGHT solar panels... 12v 130 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

PERLIGHT solar panels... 24v 230 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

SHOTO vrla telecomm batteries..... 12v 150 & 180 ahms (2012 prod)

MULTIPOWER Inverters of various KVA (MADE IN INDIA)

CALL NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951

Hi Kie Kie,
Sorry I didn't get back to you again. As discussed, I needed a 250W. By my calculations the 230W with the specifications you gave didn't quite suit

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 12:42pm On Oct 16, 2013
My current installation:

5KVA CyberPower PRO
HIGH POWER 200 amp/10hr batts x 16
Joy Solar 260W Polycrystalline x 8
eTRACER 60 Amp MPPT Solar Charge controller

[img][/img][img][/img]

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 12:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
Joy Solar Panels

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2013
fikfik: My current installation:

5KVA CyberPower PRO

That's a massive power bank, 38kWh by my calculations.
How did you connect the fourth string of your batteries, I can only see three strings in the picture.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 1:17am On Oct 17, 2013
The 4th is under the UPS.

Yes its large but I bought it as used batts. Funny thing is I get about the same autonomy from 8 pieces as when i was using 4 brand new zenith batteres rated at 200amp/20hrs. is the fact that these are 200amp/10hrs (not 20hrs) the reason?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 7:11am On Oct 17, 2013
fikfik: The 4th is under the UPS.

Yes its large but I bought it as used batts. Funny thing is I get about the same autonomy from 8 pieces as when i was using 4 brand new zenith batteres rated at 200amp/20hrs. is the fact that these are 200amp/10hrs (not 20hrs) the reason?
Congrats on your setup.
Your suspicion may be partly correct. The 20hrs means the battery can 10amps over period of 20hrs. Beyond this the voltage dips drastically. You can view it as the linear part of the battery curve. So a 10hrs battery will not be 'linear' on same time period and load as a 20hrs.

At 11.6kwh/d, you are having a pretty good harvest from your array.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:40am On Oct 17, 2013
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

TRIUMPH slim vrla telecomm batteries..... 12v 150 ahms (2012 Indian prod)

TEL Series/C&grin TRUE Front Access® vrla telecomm battteries( www.cdtechno.com )........12v 210FG

ACME slim vrla telecomm batteries........12v 180 ahms

AGISSON telecomm batteries............... 2v 500 ahms

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:33am On Oct 17, 2013
my panels have arrived 250w 24v renogy monocrystalline panels, i also bought an optional 30ft solar cable to use in my connections. i have attached pics of the connections at the end of my panel and at the end of my optional solar cable........
my question is on connectors....since the connectors at the ends of the panel and optional cable are different.........what is the name of the connector i need to buy so as to be able to join both cables?.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:37am On Oct 17, 2013
my panels have arrived 250w 24v renogy monocrystalline panels, i also bought an optional 30ft solar cable to use in my connections. i have attached pics of the connections at the end of my panel and at the end of my optional solar cable........
my question is on connectors....since the connectors at the ends of the panel and optional cable are different.........what is the name of the connector i need to buy so as to be able to join both cables?.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 11:41am On Oct 17, 2013
earthrealm: my panels have arrived 250w 24v renogy monocrystalline panels, i also bought an optional 30ft solar cable to use in my connections. i have attached pics of the connections at the end of my panel and at the end of my optional solar cable........

Those are called MC4 solar connectors. You can goggle it. I ordered the ones I plan to use in my next upgrade from China but do let me know if you get to find them here in Nigeria.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
SORRY i posted the wrong pic...this one here is the connection at the end of the solar cable i bought...as we can see the 2 connectors are different....i need another connector to be able to mate the 2...thats what am looking for.......

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 1:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
earthrealm: SORRY i posted the wrong pic...this one here is the connection at the end of the solar cable i bought...as we can see the 2 connectors are different....i need another connector to be able to mate the 2...thats what am looking for.......

You'll have to cut those cables anyway to connect in whichever array is good for you. I used cable joiners after cutting off the connecttors i ddinet need. Saves costs and what the solar connectors do is just bridge 2 or more wires.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
earthrealm: SORRY i posted the wrong pic...this one here is the connection at the end of the solar cable i bought...as we can see the 2 connectors are different....i need another connector to be able to mate the 2...thats what am looking for.......

The second picture has MC3 connectors, all the same you can change them to MC4 or use the connectors suggested above.
I used ordinary cable connectors in my setup but I am planning to change them to MC4 because they are IP65, waterproof.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 3:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
my peeps are going places
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 3:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
solar 4 life!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 3:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
ok cool...did you use solar cables or normal high guage naija housing cable?...........am beginning to think that the 30ft of solar cables i bought on amazon might not be enough, based on my planned placement of the panels.......
u gat any tips or recommendations?

am just imagining the effect of the elements - sun/rain etc on the normal house wiring cable if used on the roof to connect the panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 3:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
ok thanks for the idea...was thinking approved connectors are better for out door use...cos of moisture n all..........guess i will buy more mc4 connectors and then cut off the ends of the cable and attach the mc4 connectors t
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 4:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
@BodeJohn,
I've added 3 new panels. So I have in total 3 x 260W and 3 x 250W. That should be 1530W in total. Connected in strings of 2s (2 in series; 3 strings in parallel).

But it seems something is not right because from the controller meter, I didn't get beyond 720W the whole day (under load and no PHCN). I've climbed the roof countless time just to confirm the connections are OK. Besides, before joining the strings, I measured each string and they looked OK (81V).

What do you advice please?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 4:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
pdozie: @BodeJohn,
I've added 3 new panels. So I have in total 3 x 260W and 3 x 250W. That should be 1530W in total. Connected in strings of 2s (2 in series; 3 strings in parallel).

But it seems something is not right because from the controller meter, I didn't get beyond 720W the whole day (under load and no PHCN). I've climbed the roof countless time just to confirm the connections are OK. Besides, before joining the strings, I measured each string and they looked OK (81V).

What do you advice please?

Your connections on paper are correct and if you checked each string individual, I will advise as below

1. Connect each string individually to the charge controller and note your findings.
2. What charging mode was the controller? Bulk, Absorption or Float? If the batteries are full, the CC should ignore the excess power.
3. What was the average power in kW that you generated from the old 3 panel set?
4. Did you do this on a cloudy day or was any part of the panel covered by nearby trees?
5. If your Multimeter can measure DC current, try to measure the Isc of the panels

From my experience, if your batteries are full, your charge controller will ignore excess energy from the panels, sometimes at 2pm one of my charge controllers shuts it current to 0.0Amps even under load. You can kick in some power equipment like water pump to be and see if the power generated will increase.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 11:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
bodejohn:

Your connections on paper are correct and if you checked each string individual, I will advise as below

1. Connect each string individually to the charge controller and note your findings.
2. What charging mode was the controller? Bulk, Absorption or Float? If the batteries are full, the CC should ignore the excess power.
3. What was the average power in kW that you generated from the old 3 panel set?
4. Did you do this on a cloudy day or was any part of the panel covered by nearby trees?
5. If your Multimeter can measure DC current, try to measure the Isc of the panels

From my experience, if your batteries are full, your charge controller will ignore excess energy from the panels, sometimes at 2pm one of my charge controllers shuts it current to 0.0Amps even under load. You can kick in some power equipment like water pump to be and see if the power generated will increase.
Adding to what Bodejohn has said why dont you pair/series each 260W with 250W.
Saw where you have two 260W in series, two 250Ws in series and 260 in series with 250.
Or is it a mistake in your diagram.
Try 260W+250W//260W+250W//260W+250W
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2013

5KVA CyberPower PRO

I need info on your eTracer CC. Inbox me @my gmail account. Username is same as above . Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 12:34am On Oct 18, 2013
pheleix:
I need info on your eTracer CC. Inbox me @my gmail account. Username is same as above . Thanks

Have replied you Sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 12:41am On Oct 18, 2013
Akanniade:
Congrats on your setup.
Your suspicion may be partly correct. The 20hrs means the battery can 10amps over period of 20hrs. Beyond this the voltage dips drastically. You can view it as the linear part of the battery curve. So a 10hrs battery will not be 'linear' on same time period and load as a 20hrs.

At 11.6kwh/d, you are having a pretty good harvest from your array.

So does this mean:

200amp/10hr = 100amp/20hr

should buyers beware of this? as many manufactures will label 200amp and people will buy because its chaeper only to find out its actually 100amp/20hours.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 9:35am On Oct 18, 2013
Yes roughly so. The hour tag is the linear part of the performance curve. Outside the linear part you get suprises.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 11:20am On Oct 18, 2013

5KVA CyberPower PRO

[img][/img][img][/img]

fikfik
11.6Kwh generated from 2080W array is quite impressive. If I may ask what city are you located? Has the array harnessed 10kwh plus other days than the day 11.6Kwh was generated. Congratulations on your set up.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:29am On Oct 18, 2013
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

TRIUMPH slim vrla telecomm batteries..... 12v 150 ahms (2012 Indian prod)

TEL Series/C& TRUE Front Access® vrla telecomm battteries( www.cdtechno.com )........12v 210FG

ACME slim vrla telecomm batteries........12v 180 ahms

AGISSON telecomm batteries............... 2v 500 ahms

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
ok..have seen what i need..the t connectors and the mc4 connectors...seems quite expensive.....something cheaper must be available in naija

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Solar-Panel-Cable-Connector/dp/B00BGJEQ6S/ref=pd_sbs_lg_3
1800naira for 5 pairs

http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-T-branch-Connector-Photovoltaic-Coaster/dp/B004N725UE/ref=pd_sim_lg_1
2000naira for 1 pair

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 3:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
fikfik:

So does this mean:

200amp/10hr = 100amp/20hr

should buyers beware of this? as many manufactures will label 200amp and people will buy because its chaeper only to find out its actually 100amp/20hours.

I read sometime ago that a C10 battery have more backup time than a C20 battery of same capacity but I had to take sometime to cross check the facts before commenting. The link below should shed more light.

http://www.revanbattery.com/technical-information.htm

From my understanding of the article, 100Ah/10hr = 125Ah/20hr
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 1:58pm On Oct 19, 2013
feasy1:

fikfik
11.6Kwh generated from 2080W array is quite impressive. If I may ask what city are you located? Has the array harnessed 10kwh plus other days than the day 11.6Kwh was generated. Congratulations on your set up.

Thanks bros feasy. Yeah i've harvested that much a couple times but on average get about 9KVA because the bank reaches 100% SOC pretty fast. the days i get 11KVA, is when they turn on the pump or something during charging.

I'm in Abuja, but I think its because I mounted high up (and recieve no shadow whats so ever throughtout the day) and strictly adhered to cardinal positioning and angle of inclination. Max PV power I've gotten is just about 1,900W (91%) which isnt bad for a polycrystalline array (IMO).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2013
bodejohn:

I read sometime ago that a C10 battery have more backup time than a C20 battery of same capacity but I had to take sometime to cross check the facts before commenting. The link below should shed more light.

http://www.revanbattery.com/technical-information.htm

From my understanding of the article, 100Ah/10hr = 125Ah/20hr
You are correct. I checked your link and others. It confirms that for same battery, capacity rating increases with hours rating. My understanding of the terms were different before.

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (1802) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.