Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,151 members, 7,943,161 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:46 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2278123 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (1802) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by rodgers: 1:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
just wondering. Is it possible to charge my battery with another inverter using the output from the first inverter. That both inverters are connected to same battery bank, while one is supplying, the other is used to recharge
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2013
yes.

rodgers: just wondering. Is it possible to charge my battery with another inverter using the output from the first inverter. That both inverters are connected to same battery bank, while one is supplying, the other is used to recharge
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
abunafiu,

as requested, i've attached a sketch of the voltage combiner.

it is essentially made of a pure copper belt (usually of the type used for lightning arrestors) cut to required length.

use an m6 drill bit to bore holes at the both ends for where to screw the belt to the block of wood and an m13
drill to bore three (3) holes. one for the charge controller, one for the inverter and the last for the battery.

i hope this helps?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2013
all,

looks like the sunny days are here at last - especially for those in the south-south.

snapshot for yesterday. back-facing panels on float. front facing panels

on equalize mode.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
i'm back to cyberpower as my sukam seems to be having fan issues.

fan has been changed but still new fan not working. i may have to send it to lagos through my dealer
for repairs.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 8:08am On Oct 21, 2013
on this batr issue, me blive it depend on applcatn. 200ah/10hr capacity to discharge 20ah over 10hrs and 200ah/20hr handle 10ah over 20hrs. if u apply d batr over their curves wahala go de. 20ahx10hrs=200ah, 10ahx20hr=200ah. pls take note
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 9:56am On Oct 22, 2013
George_D: abunafiu,

it is essentially made of a pure copper belt (usually of the type used for lightning arrestors) cut to required length.

use an m6 drill bit to bore holes at the both ends for where to screw the belt to the block of wood and an m13
drill to bore three (3) holes. one for the charge controller, one for the inverter and the last for the battery.

i hope this helps?

Hello George,
Just a clarification: Is there power loss when cables are joined directly and tied/covered with masking tapes as against when they are screwed together unto a metal as you depicted?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
pdozie:

Hello George,
Just a clarification: Is there power loss when cables are joined directly and tied/covered with masking tapes as against when they are screwed together unto a metal as you depicted?

pdozie,

the short answer is yes. no matter how you try to tie (wrap) cables together, you cannot achieve effective 100 percent contact
on all strands.best practice is to always use cable connectors. but in the absence of that you can make do with direct bolting together
of individual cables.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 5:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
George_D: i'm back to cyberpower as my sukam seems to be having fan issues.

fan has been changed but still new fan not working. i may have to send it to lagos through my dealer
for repairs.

My Sukam too usually misbehaves whenever there is public power supply. It sometimes beep continuously with either "Mains Low Cutout" or "Main Present" error when there is actually no public power supply. Since I cannot easily port to Cyberpower, I had to remove the public power supply cable from the inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 5:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
George_D: abunafiu,

i hope this helps?

This is what I used in my own case. It has some protection around its two busbars although I had to order it from Europe.
The cables enter from the bottom, one busbar is for +ve and the second for -ve. I very much think it should be available in Lagos.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
George_D: i'm back to cyberpower as my sukam seems to be having fan issues.

for repairs.

Please so which is the better inverter due to your experience with Sukam and Cyberpower? Which would you advise a new buyer to go for?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
bodejohn:
My Sukam too usually misbehaves whenever there is public power supply. It sometimes beep continuously with either "Mains Low Cutout" or "Main Present" error when there is actually no public power supply. Since I cannot easily port to Cyberpower, I had to remove the public power supply cable from the inverter.

bodejohn,

yeah. unfortunately as much as i'm loathe to admit it, sukam seems not to be as rugged as i thought.

and, don't be in too much of a hurry to jump on cyberpower. it has its own issues too, and believe me
they are too numerous to enumerate here.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
bodejohn:

This is what I used in my own case. It has some protection around its two busbars although I had to order it from Europe.
The cables enter from the bottom, one busbar is for +ve and the second for -ve. I very much think it should be available in Lagos.

the voltage combiner was a diy initiative borne out of necessity. and yes i think that legrande busbar is a much better option.
going forward, i plan to replace the voltage combiner with a more compact conduit box to make for a more professional installation.
this will form part of my next upgrade.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 9:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
George_D:

bodejohn,

yeah. unfortunately as much as i'm loathe to admit it, sukam seems not to be as rugged as i thought.

and, don't be in too much of a hurry to jump on cyberpower. it has its own issues too, and believe me
they are too numerous to enumerate here.

I was almost paying for Sukam 3.5kva but when the Ogas are begining to complain about Sukam what do we do

@Bodejohn I thought yours was connected to Prag stab.

Vitus is advising I go for Safepower. Ogas what do you say
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
DUNKA: Please so which is the better inverter due to your experience with Sukam and Cyberpower? Which would you advise a new buyer to go for?

dunka,

as you can see from my post above each of these inverters have their own issues. just a few days ago i was taking stock of
how much i have spent in going back and forth between all these mid-range inverters and i realized that i could have saved myself
a lot of stress (and money) by going for a high-end american or german inverter. they are more pricey but at the end of the day
you get better value for your money. my experience with indian and chinese inverters is that they somehow manage to breakdown at
least after the first two years of installation-sometimes even less than that. its either the fan is not working or the charging circuit
is bad or some other fault. there must always be something to repair or replace after such a short space of time. wouldn't it be nice to
get an inverter that just works where you don't have to worry about replacing any failed part even after serving you for five years
and counting? hmmmm! ok, just my thoughts.

if you're to choose between sukam and cyberpower, i'd say go for sukam anyday. despite having fan issues, i still prefer it to
cyberpower because of its ease of installation, simplicity and power conserving attributes.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
pheleix:

I was almost paying for Sukam 3.5kva but when the Ogas are begining to complain about Sukam what do we do

@Bodejohn I thought yours was connected to Prag stab.

Vitus is advising I go for Safepower. Ogas what do you say

phelix,

my above post in answer to dunka goes for you too. sukam is still very much ok. you can't go wrong.
cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 9:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
To re echo Oga George's comments, I wouldn't blame my Sukam inverter, the power supply to my crib is really bad, a prag servo wouldn't work if I had purchased it like I did plan.

After taking off the cables from grid supply, my inverter has been back to normal. I think usage could also be a factor, my inverter has been running round the clock for close to four weeks with less than 10hrs rest time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:05am On Oct 23, 2013
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

PERLIGHT solar panels... 12v 130 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

PERLIGHT solar panels... 24v 230 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

TRIUMPH slim vrla telecomm batteries..... 12v 150 ahms (2012 Indian prod)

TEL Series/C&grin TRUE Front Access® vrla telecomm battteries( www.cdtechno.com )........12v 210FG

Mercury 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor

MULTIPOWER Inverters of various KVA (MADE IN INDIA)

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 12:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
I USE LUMINOUS...AND SOME o fmy pals...we all have good stories about it......you could give it a try
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
shithapuns: I USE LUMINOUS...AND SOME o fmy pals...we all have good stories about it......you could give it a try

shithapuns,

you're missing the point. we all have good stories to tell about sukam, about cyberpower, etc. going three years now my sukam has
been superb-until recently when this fan issue came up.

the point is, will you still have good stories to tell about your luminous, say two or three years from now? or maybe five?
all things man-made do break down at some point but some are more durable than others.

take the case of cars. we all know that a popular korean made car (names withheld) will not serve you beyond three years at most
before you start replacing parts. even though they appear to be cheap (brand new) but after three years you become customer to the
mechanic. now compare that to toyota or mecerdes when even after 7 years, its as if they're just starting their useful service life. peeps
here buy them used at 8 years and still use them for another 5 years trouble free before thinking of replacing parts. you know of course
that the price comparison however is not the same, new to new, head to head for the german, japanese or korean cars.
as it is with cars and many other products, so it is with inverters- you get what you pay for.

i hope now you get the message?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 7:04am On Oct 24, 2013
But noone has answered the Q yet. Which inverters are the best not considering cost?

To be honest, previously I thought my cyberpower was one of the best. Its a generally more expensive than the luminous and sukams out there, but it comes with a separate changeover switch and an AVR apart from whats built in. People say its hard to install, but installation comes as part of the cost. or you can get the simple wiring diagram. I still feel cyberpower is a step above the other 2-3 stage chargers if its installed properly. I've been using mine since last year and have installed for a couple since then and theyve never had any of these fan issues etc. You just have to install them properly with the included accessories, that all...

Nonetheless, i would still like to know the answer to the intial question.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 9:58am On Oct 24, 2013
abunafiu:
As for me, i use 1500WATTS genius inverter @24V,
4 pieces of 155AH used tellecomm battery,
8 pieces of 120W MONO solar panels and i intend adding 2 more soon
and recently a 60A tristar MPPT.
I use it to power
1 40in LCD for more than 12hrs daily,
2 ceiling fans for aprox 16hrs,
4 20W bulbs for aprox 10hrs
and a 300W fridge(4 to 5 hrs daily)
I hope this answers some of ur questions...you can as well see pics of my set up.

So a 1500VA inverter can power a Fridge. Someone told me it can't , that it will keep tripping off. Do you power other load same time with the fridge , thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:50pm On Oct 24, 2013
fikfik: But noone has answered the Q yet. Which inverters are the best not considering cost?

To be honest, previously I thought my cyberpower was one of the best. Its a generally more expensive than the luminous and sukams out there, but it comes with a separate changeover switch and an AVR apart from whats built in. People say its hard to install, but installation comes as part of the cost. or you can get the simple wiring diagram. I still feel cyberpower is a step above the other 2-3 stage chargers if its installed properly. I've been using mine since last year and have installed for a couple since then and theyve never had any of these fan issues etc. You just have to install them properly with the included accessories, that all...

Nonetheless, i would still like to know the answer to the intial question.

fikfik,

i think my post above says it all. not all products are the same. among inverters, there are high end, mid-range and low end
types. same thing goes for other electronics like tvs, home theaters, air conditioners, fridges, etc. even cars too cut across all
the ranges. you buy according to your pocket (mostly) even though a few others who prefer best in class wouldn't mind going
the extra mile to get something better.

basically, cyberpower is nothing different than the other indian and chinese inverters as they are all bulk chargers. true, you
can do a little bit of configuration using the toggle switch and lcd display but it ends there. the dealers all get into these
advert frenzy trying to paint a larger than life image of this inverter and many peeps fall for the hype. i was also a victim once.

that said, among different ranges of products, there is a class difference, whether you're talking of mid-range ones, high-end
ones, etc and depending on what your preferences are, you could decide to go for one above the other. for inverters, you
cannot compare a gaoxing inverter with a sukam, luminous or cyberpower. xantrex is a recognized industry standard for high
end inverters and that is why most banks here use it in their back up systems. however of recent, their build quality has really
not kept up with their reputation and costumers are complaining a lot about defects.
magnum and outback are neck on neck when it comes to performance and durability but if you intend installing your inverter in
a harsh, salty environment, outback gfx series takes the lead. magnum though has a cleaner waveform of all three.
exeltech inverters however are known to have the best waveform of all the inverters at present.

so which inverter is best not considering cost? my take:

1) exeltech
2) magnum
3) outback
4) xantrex
5) sma sunnyboy
6) fronius
7) kako
8 ) victron
9) solar edge
10) tripplite

these are all high end inverters. bear it in mind however that some do contain more features than others thereby adding to the
overall cost. some features like grid-tie is build into the xantrex xw series which we don't really need here in this part of the
globe. also, some have better accessories for improved inverter control and system monitoring. depending on what floats your boat,
you cannot go wrong with any of the above.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:13pm On Oct 24, 2013
my oga Bravo... well said

George_D:

fikfik,

i think my post above says it all. not all products are the same. among inverters, there are high end, mid-range and low end
types. same thing goes for other electronics like tvs, home theaters, air conditioners, fridges, etc. even cars too cut across all
the ranges. you buy according to your pocket (mostly) even though a few others who prefer best in class wouldn't mind going
the extra mile to get something better.

basically, cyberpower is nothing different than the other indian and chinese inverters as they are all bulk chargers. true, you
can do a little bit of configuration using the toggle switch and lcd display but it ends there. the dealers all get into these
advert frenzy trying to paint a larger than life image of this inverter and many peeps fall for the hype. i was also a victim once.

that said, among different ranges of products, there is a class difference, whether you're talking of mid-range ones, high-end
ones, etc and depending on what your preferences are, you could decide to go for one above the other. for inverters, you
cannot compare a gaoxing inverter with a sukam, luminous or cyberpower. xantrex is a recognized industry standard for high
end inverters and that is why most banks here use it in their back up systems. however of recent, their build quality has really
not kept up with their reputation and costumers are complaining a lot about defects.
magnum and outback are neck on neck when it comes to performance and durability but if you intend installing your inverter in
a harsh, salty environment, outback gfx series takes the lead. magnum though has a cleaner waveform of all three.
exeltech inverters however are known to have the best waveform of all the inverters at present.

so which inverter is best not considering cost? my take:

1) exeltech
2) magnum
3) outback
4) xantrex
5) sma sunnyboy
6) fronius
7) kako
8 ) victron
9) solar edge
10) tripplite

these are all high end inverters. bear it in mind however that some do contain more features than others thereby adding to the
overall cost. some features like grid-tie is build into the xantrex xw series which we don't really need here in this part of the
globe. also, some have better accessories for improved inverter control and system monitoring. depending on what floats your boat,
you cannot go wrong with any of the above.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 10:14am On Oct 25, 2013
following. all well said. chairman any dealer for this exeltec for naija? Nagode
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
idsolar: following. all well said. chairman any dealer for this exeltec for naija? Nagode

idsolar,

i can't say for exeltech but i know there are various dealers in high end inverters who can bring in any of these
for you on special arrangement.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 4:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
George_D:

idsolar,

i can't say for exeltech but i know there are various dealers in high end inverters who can bring in any of these
for you on special arrangement.

Thanks uncle G,

I dare say though that amongst bulk chargers (luminous, sukam, etc), cyberpower has the best build quality.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
fikfik:

Thanks uncle G,

I dare say though that amongst bulk chargers (luminous, sukam, etc), cyberpower has the best build quality.

fikfik,

cyberpower no doubt is ok but the advert hype is what i'm against. buyright paints it as one high end inverter. they
flood newspaper pages everytime with these quaintly attractive images and you're like, "wao! this inverter must be
different than the rest!" but you find out later that it is just another type of bulk charger. no absorb setting, no float.

so much for honesty, hey?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
@ALL THE GURUS IN THE HOUSE,I WANT TO BUY A SMALL INVERTER THAT CAN POWER MY 32INCHES LED SAMSUNG TV AND DECODER,THAT CAN BE CHARGED WITH NEPA LIGHT AND GENERATOR,AND LAST AT LEAST 12HOURS STRAIGHT ON USE,I HAVE A BUDGET OF #30,000,CAN U PLS ADVISE ME ON THE ONE THAT SUITS THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT FOR ME TO BUY.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 1:20pm On Oct 26, 2013
hi,
is that budget battery inclusive?

okoegualek: @ALL THE GURUS IN THE HOUSE,I WANT TO BUY A SMALL INVERTER THAT CAN POWER MY 32INCHES LED SAMSUNG TV AND DECODER,THAT CAN BE CHARGED WITH NEPA LIGHT AND GENERATOR,AND LAST AT LEAST 12HOURS STRAIGHT ON USE,I HAVE A BUDGET OF #30,000,CAN U PLS ADVISE ME ON THE ONE THAT SUITS THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT FOR ME TO BUY.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:46pm On Oct 26, 2013
do u hv any 12v 50amp or more charger preferably with swictable 12/24v switch?

kie kie: HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

PERLIGHT solar panels... 12v 130 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

PERLIGHT solar panels... 24v 230 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

TRIUMPH slim vrla telecomm batteries..... 12v 150 ahms (2012 Indian prod)

TEL Series/C&grin TRUE Front Access® vrla telecomm battteries( www.cdtechno.com )........12v 210FG

Mercury 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor

MULTIPOWER Inverters of various KVA (MADE IN INDIA)

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (1802) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.