Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,828 members, 7,915,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 09:42 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (703) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2233725 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) (706) ... (1786) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:34pm On Mar 22, 2020
Dam5reey:

If your inverter has LVD, set to 24.4V, anything below 24V will shorten the life of those batteries..

Yes the lvd is indeed a nice feature .. I have affordable axpert inverters which has same manual with Felicity ! The 3kva 24v comes with same watts & surge ratings , same AC charge current , lbco settings , user friendly lcd , adjustable volt & amps charge settings ,thermostatic cooling fans etc ... The only difference between the two hybrids is the cheaper spec comes with a lower solar input(voc & vmp tolerance) !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:44pm On Mar 22, 2020
Godliftedme:
Good Day,
Can I have open quote for these items;

1. Victron Smart Solar Charge Controller MPPT 250/100
2. Victron Smart Plug-gable MPPT Display (HMI)
3. Victron Colour Control GX (CCGX)
4. Victron BMV 712 Battery Monitor with Shunt
5. Victron VE Direct communication cable (3m)
6. Victron RJ45 UTP Cable 1.8m
7. Victron CCGX Wifi Module
8. Victron Smart BatteryProtect 48V -100A
9. Victron MK3 USB configuration cable

Please, post your offer here and lets roll
cc: Kiekie, Niyi, Zeestone, JUO, justcallemmanuel, etc

Hello, sorry I've been offline & just seeing this nw ! I can supply the victron 250/100 , victron color control GX & some victron inverter spec at discounted price but I specialize more on Schneider inverters , components / accessories . Kindly pchat !

Contact,
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2020
ceaser:

I think you can just get an MPPT SCC with the necessary parameters and hook it on. You can even go for SCCs with remote monitoring capability.

That way, you still get to keep your rugged and trusted inverter.

If I must keep the old inverter then, I will use Victron smartsolar 150/35 or higher..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 6:46pm On Mar 22, 2020
ojeysky:

Hmm... that isn't accurate, I can agree with active balancer but not for BMS. They are useful for any age of battery. While there is a chance that well matched cells (with max 0.03 difference) will usually not differ significantly during charge and discharge, the BMS also will continue to contribute to that.

The other thing is that yes you may be able to get away with the bottom voltage through your inverter but setting a safe top voltage without a BMS in place to prevent overcharge will be risky.

As to the inverter, it's an axpert clone just like felicity and if the same (or less) amount will get you a higher spec why not. You never can tell what the future brings with your consumption. If there is no extra cost for getting more value for money, one naturally should go for it.

Talking of not using BMS, here's an 18650 gone ballistic. Note that I've several modules like this working successfully without BMS for months and still going good.

But this one nearly burned down the shed.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 7:03pm On Mar 22, 2020
ojeysky:

Very cool guy, I love his videos, he is actually one of my biggest motivation for planning to DIY my next Lifepo4 bank upgrade.

Yes, will Prowse !!!!

I came across his channel over a year ago..

He is one of the reason I'm dreaming of LifePO4

This video he said you can by pass the BMS.

I may be wrong though, but you can watch 12 minutes to 17 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PgthByAYz4
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 7:17pm On Mar 22, 2020
ceaser:

Talking of not using BMS, here's an 18650 gone ballistic. Note that I've several modules like this working successfully without BMS for months and still going good.

Your example is off, no proper soldering, I cant even attempt this type of connection, even with BMS, your cells are not properly connected, hence BMS will be useless..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:30pm On Mar 22, 2020
earthrealm:
So had a dying powerbank/car jumpstart.
Decided to open it up..
Who knows what type of battery those are and if replacements /repair are easy..

3ndly, anybody has >330w canadian solar panels.
Could the person gimme the dimensions, need it for something urgent

If it's those yellow portable ones that also has torchligh, it's LFP that's inside. Usually 4 pcs of thin LFP banded together, together with some robust circuitry is what provides the surge power for jumpstart. I opened up one before after it shorted and burned off when it was in use. It was used to starta car while it was raining, so I assume water seeped in to short the circuitry.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:50pm On Mar 22, 2020
Dam5reey:

Yes, will Prowse !!!!

I came across his channel over a year ago..

He is one of the reason I'm dreaming of LifePO4

This video he said you can by pass the BMS.

I may be wrong though, but you can watch 12 minutes to 17 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PgthByAYz4

You have your answer between 13:40 and 14:05. He only used the battery protect because of the challenge he had with the BMS but he rightly gave the hint suggesting not to try this on a normal situation

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:02pm On Mar 22, 2020
ojeysky:

You have your answer between 13:40 and 14:05. He only used the battery protect because of the challenge he had with the BMS but he rightly gave the hint suggesting not to try this on a normal situation

Yeah, all for protection, he did protection off the BMS with LVD, if inverter can do that then I'm good.
My conclusion was BMS protects and balance Cell..
If Inverter can protect then, I will leave inverter to handle it, then BMS continue to do it's balancing..

Case closed, only for me. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:04pm On Mar 22, 2020
ceaser:

These are rated 3.7v if am right and if you have them in 4S that will be 14.8 nominal and typical max on a 12v chargers is 15 to 16v so I don't think you will be hitting the max voltage often like that of Lifepo4 which is 12.8 normal. Perhaps it's the reason you've gotten away this far, but I still think you should have a BMS on them. It's better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:16pm On Mar 22, 2020
Dam5reey:

Yeah, all for protection, he did protection off the BMS with LVD, if inverter can do that then I'm good.
My conclusion was BMS protects and balance Cell..
If Inverter can protect then, I will leave inverter to handle it, then BMS continue to do it's balancing..

Case closed, only for me. grin

If you have the battery protect connected to your inverter and BMS in the way he suggested and assuming you've bottom balanced your cell then fine. However it seem you want the inverter to do that instead hence am not sure how the BMS will disconnect the inverter since there is no ground of the battery protect in the equation (as Will explains).

However yes "case closed" and make I also close with will's statement "If you are not using a BMS (not recommended, for advanced users only)" all the best with that Bro, me I never advance reach your level grin

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/recommended-charge-profile-for-diy-lifepo4-batteries-sticky-post.5101/
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:25pm On Mar 22, 2020
ojeysky:

These are rated 3.7v if am right and if you have them in 4S that will be 14.8 nominal and typical max on a 12v chargers is 15 to 16v so I don't think you will be hitting the max voltage often like that of Lifepo4 which is 12.8 normal. Perhaps it's the reason you've gotten away this far, but I still think you should have a BMS on them. It's better safe than sorry.

They are in 3s. They are on a buck converter that reduces charging voltage to 12.5v before it is fed into the battery pack. Buck converter supports up to 100 watts 18v solar panel.

I ran out of BMS stocks (I've broken a few from experimenting). So I kuku don't bother using it again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:44pm On Mar 22, 2020
ojeysky:

If you have the battery protect connected to your inverter and BMS in the way he suggested and assuming you've bottom balanced your cell then fine. However it seem you want the inverter to do that instead hence am not sure how the BMS will disconnect the inverter since there is no ground of the battery protect in the equation (as Will explains).

However yes "case closed" and make I also close with will's statement "If you are not using a BMS (not recommended, for advanced users only)" all the best with that Bro, me I never advance reach your level grin

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/recommended-charge-profile-for-diy-lifepo4-batteries-sticky-post.5101/

Exactly, that's for DIY pro users grin

If you are not using a BMS (not recommended, for advanced users only)

Bottom balance the cells
Charge the cells at a .2C rate

The moment a cell hits 3.6V while charging, record the pack voltage
Manually set absorption for all chargers to the voltage in the previous step

If you are using used LiFePO4 cells w/ varying internal resistance readings, charge up to 3.525V per cell (12v/24v/48v absorption: 14V, 28V and 56V).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:49pm On Mar 22, 2020
ceaser:

If it's those yellow portable ones that also has torchligh, it's LFP that's inside. Usually 4 pcs of thin LFP banded together, together with some robust circuitry is what provides the surge power for jumpstart. I opened up one before after it shorted and burned off when it was in use. It was used to starta car while it was raining, so I assume water seeped in to short the circuitry.

hv added the pic, forgot to add it earlier

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeanslim(m): 9:46pm On Mar 22, 2020
ceaser:

The cells ain't insulated that's why
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:07pm On Mar 22, 2020
ceaser:

Do you own a spot welder? I noticed that it appears as if the cells are soldered. Interesting that just a few of the cells took the hit. Also when running the test on the cells, try charging each at 1A and check for any that is unusually warmer than the others, that one will be a torn in the flesh even if it passes your test if connected with others without high temperature issues.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:13pm On Mar 22, 2020
zeanslim:

That too may be a factor in the failure, you can always buy cheap cell wrappers at AE.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by queenfav(f): 10:13pm On Mar 22, 2020
Dam5reey:

If your inverter has LVD, set to 24.4V, anything below 24V will shorten the life of those batteries..
thanks bro,will do this.I don't know if it has LVD.We will ask the installer.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:16pm On Mar 22, 2020
Off the top of my head;

Canadian Solar 330w - Approx 1.97m by 0.992m

Canadian Solar 380w -Approx 2m by 0.992m

If you assume 2meter length you wont be far off.

earthrealm:
So had a dying powerbank/car jumpstart.
Decided to open it up..
Who knows what type of battery those are and if replacements /repair are easy..

3ndly, anybody has >330w canadian solar panels.
Could the person gimme the dimensions, need it for something urgent

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeanslim(m): 11:25pm On Mar 22, 2020
mctfopt:

That too may be a factor in the failure, you can always buy cheap cell wrappers at AE.

I use 18650 cells holder, they create space to prevent shorts and reduce heat. Which is more better I have like 1000 of them gotten from AE.

And I just even use my battery pack to start a car and generator today. Directly. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 2:29am On Mar 23, 2020
Anyone has any or all of this? Pls give cost. Thanks

150 watts panel
souer inverter
0ah cc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 7:04am On Mar 23, 2020
Topmost11:
Anyone has any or all of this? Pls give cost. Thanks

150 watts panel
souer inverter
0ah cc

Bros wake up before you post na grin

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JaySterling: 11:30am On Mar 23, 2020
Please with this image below, how can I calculate the wattage of my TV

Since Power (watts) = Volt times current

V x I

Will I multiply the 100 x 1.8 Amps or the
240 x 1.8 Amps

Thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 12:52pm On Mar 23, 2020
JaySterling:
Please with this image below, how can I calculate the wattage of my TV

Since Power (watts) = Volt times current

V x I

Will I multiply the 100 x 1.8 Amps or the
240 x 1.8 Amps

Thanks
if am not mistaken. if u calculate by 220V =398watts shocked
230V= 414watts shocked
240V=432watts shocked

in solar energy, this your TV no follow atall angry

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 1:22pm On Mar 23, 2020
Valto:
if am not mistaken. if u calculate by 220V =398watts shocked
230V= 414watts shocked
240V=432watts shocked

in solar energy, this your TV no follow atall angry
Most likely the TV will do 1.8 x 100v and even lower with energy saving mode on. Please get a watt meter

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by CAROLYN19: 1:24pm On Mar 23, 2020
Call/watsapp us on 08066332919

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JaySterling: 3:28pm On Mar 23, 2020
Namzy:

Most likely the TV will do 1.8 x 100v and even lower with energy saving mode on. Please get a watt meter

Your response is very correct, because when I googled, I saw a very similar response

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:14pm On Mar 23, 2020
earthrealm:

hv added the pic, forgot to add it earlier

Yes it's the same type. Usually 4pcs LiPo stacked together but connected in series. The dimensions of the cells should be written on it (usually 3 pairs of digits, each pair of digit representing the dimensions of the battery. If you can get those LiPo cells with the same dimensions and thickness, then you should be able to repair it.

You can type the digits in the search box of AliExpress website or app to get some hits.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:15pm On Mar 23, 2020
zeanslim:

From each other, yeah that's a possibility. But I didn't see that as causing this incident.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2020
mctfopt:

Do you own a spot welder? I noticed that it appears as if the cells are soldered. Interesting that just a few of the cells took the hit. Also when running the test on the cells, try charging each at 1A and check for any that is unusually warmer than the others, that one will be a torn in the flesh even if it passes your test if connected with others without high temperature issues.

That's the problem bro. I don't own a spot welder and I have a roll of nickel strip just wasting away o, imagine.

I hope I should be able to still salvage some of the cells. I will just use it to as pack for an expansion slot I'm DIYing for laptop power bank I bought off of AE. The power bank came originally with slots for 3s2p with BMS and all. I'll add more batteries to it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:23pm On Mar 23, 2020
zeanslim:

I use 18650 cells holder, they create space to prevent shorts and reduce heat. Which is more better I have like 1000 of them gotten from AE.

And I just even use my battery pack to start a car and generator today. Directly. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Yeye seller on AE failed to expedite the delivery of 18650 cell holders that I bought. That was before COVID thingy. I lost interest in pursuing it further.

Going forward, I think I need to stock more than enough cell holders.

What's the capacity of your installed BMS that you're able to use it to crank the car and gen?

Is it common port BMS or seperate port BMS?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by maishai: 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2020
JaySterling:

Your response is very correct, because when I googled, I saw a very similar response
the tv has the capability of powering hard drives and modems ......The manufacturer is probably right as u might plug in devices to ur tv

(1) (2) (3) ... (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) (705) (706) ... (1786) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: loluskysat(m), Valto(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.