Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,495 members, 7,888,580 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:55 AM

On English Grammar - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / On English Grammar (427 Views)

Kpakpa Grammar School 18+ / English Grammar Lesson / English Grammar Lesson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On English Grammar by Badirukehinde(m): 8:59pm On Jul 09, 2017
Everyone vs. Every One

The usage of these words (one is a word, the other is a compound word) in day to day expressions have often remain confusing for some Speakers/learners of the Second langauge (L2). It is suffice to say that the pronoun 'everyone' may be replaced by everybody in some cases. It is used to refer to all the people in a group thereby addressed as a whole. However, when written as two words, "every + one = every one" emphasizes each individual who makes up a group, and it means each person.

As used for example, a) Every one of you will attend the dinner (every one is followed by 'of')
b) It is left to everyone to make Nigeria a better place

Happy Sunday
I KNOW WHY YOUR MOTHER CRIES (Collection of Poems) drops this month on Okadabooks & Amazon. The book is forwarded by notable Nigerian poet cum literary giant; Professsor Hope Eghagha

Send me a DM to pre-order your copy & share this post if you love my craft. Let it reach the ends of the world.

#BadiruKehinde #IKWYMC

(1) (Reply)

Book Summary - Bold By Peter Dia,amdis And Steven Kotler / The House Edge / Alive Because Suicide Is A Crime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.