Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,925 members, 7,872,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:54 AM

RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story (571 Views)

Guests Struggle For Seat At Presidential Inauguration Dinner (video) / Struggle For Senate Presidency Intensifies, Lawan Meets APC Govs / The Creation Of Sokoto Caliphate After The 1808 Jihad War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story by FRESHGIST247: 2:30am On Jul 14, 2017
I am Ella Prest an indigene of Rivers State. I am over 80 years and a living witness to some of the major activities that led to the emergence and development of Rivers State. I personally know some of the actors in the agitation, formation and development of Rivers State including, Chief P.G Warmate, Chief Dappa Biriye, Chief Melford Okilo, His Royal Majesty Francis Alagoa Mingi X of Nembe, Chief Godfrey Kio Jaja Amachree, Reverend E.T Dimiari, Chief Emanuel Aguma, Chief Thom Manuel, Chief Napoleon Graham Douglas, Chief Opuogulaya and Mr. Ken Sarowiwa to mention a few.

Between 1956 -1964 I worked in the Nigerian Civil Service, first in the Administrator General‘s Office (Lagos, Federal Capital of Nigeria), then in the Director of Public Prosecutions office, Lagos, Federal Ministry of Justice and finally the Federal Civil Service Commission, Lagos. I left for the United Kingdom with my family in 1964. Whilst in the United Kingdom I worked in the British Civil Service Commission, Savile Row, London and thereafter in the
Nigerian High Commission Northumberland Ave, London, U.K.

During this period I participated in the Rivers Students Union, marching and agitating for a separate identity for the People of the Riverine Area during the Biafra War. Our President was Mr. Hebron Tom George, a Kalabari from Buguma who later became a Judge in the Rivers State Judiciary. Another principal member was Mr. Koko from Okrika who was always very active in our campaigns, ferrying us up and down in his car. It was at this time that Mr. Hebron Tom George our President submitted copies of memoranda to the British Parliament that referred to the Willink Commission Report which defined the Riverine People as a distinct group in the then Eastern Region of Nigeria.

Long Live Rivers State
Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Mrs. Ella Prest, Public Administrator

http://regulusnews.com/2017/05/27/the-struggle-for-the-creation-of-rivers-state-the-real-story/
Re: RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story by Biafman: 2:45am On Jul 14, 2017
Sabotuers. What have your people gained from creating Rivers state out of your evil desire to sabotage and spite Biafrans.
Re: RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story by Firstinline(m): 5:47am On Jul 14, 2017
Chai, Biafra don Suffer.
Re: RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story by greenmonk: 6:35am On Jul 14, 2017
Biafman:
Sabotuers. What have your people gained from creating Rivers state out of your evil desire to sabotage and spite Biafrans.
Re: RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story by juman(m): 6:36am On Jul 14, 2017
Biafman:

You are a teenager or having brain of that age.

Rather those people liberated themselves from the "overlord" east to have their freedom.

1 Like

Re: RIVERS STATE: The Struggle For The Creation Of Rivers State – The Real Story by PFRB: 6:39am On Jul 14, 2017
Biafman:

The man said nothing. Nothing at all. It appears the man has not read the report of the Willinks commission. Chief Koko was an ardent supporter of Biafra. His family lived in my village during the war. I worked with his first son in one of the offshore oil locations in the 90s. I know them very well.

(1) (Reply)

Veteran Nollywood Actor Yul Edochie Is Aspiring For Anambra State Governor / Man Deported To Ghana ‘because He Is Not Gay Enough’ / Untold Story Of How MKO Chieftancy Title Was Nearly Forestall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.