Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,631 members, 7,901,937 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 05:56 PM

How Biblical Is Church Denominationalism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Biblical Is Church Denominationalism? (475 Views)

Rev. David Ogbueli Makes History In Church Denominationalism / Is Church For Fashion Or What? / Why Is Church Attendance/going To Church Important? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Biblical Is Church Denominationalism? by abumereose: 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
One may think that I am an iconoclast because of the issue I am about to broach. But I am not. I am only being meticulous and fearful for myself and others, on how to really please GOD.
The most disturbing problem and question I think we should be concerned about, is the question of present-day dominance of church denominationalism. All that is obtainable today is, a multiplicity of churches in societies. There is a church after every count of 4 to 5 houses in a street, churches in every football field and, in every classrooms on campuses, and churches in residential homes.
Is church denomination a real christian thing? Can it be justified? What are the motives for this indiscriminate planting of churches? Is Bible the author of this chasm?(1 Chor 1:10,12-13. Rom 16:17, Eph 4:4-5) ? Is GOD happy with it? Has this any effect on the Church's outlook and effectiveness? These are questions that cannot be, in any way, answered in favour of this appalling trend.
If we are to draw inspiration from the early Church,we are to closely look at how it was. All that could be, was,' the Church in Ephesus',' the Church in Rome', and so on. It would have been possible for the early churche to convene in one place to worship, if it wasn't for distance barrier and other communication problems . If the early church,that we so much look up to, were not divided, then, why are we? Or did Paul or Peter ever, in any way, emphasized division? Is church a one man thing? The obvious answer to these questions is a capital 'NO'.
As result of this divisionist tradition, we now have many, competing and conflicting doctrines. Christians have left their primary task of soul-winning, to that of struggle for members to fill their churches - come to my church rather than come to Jesus - and GOD is not pleased by this practice.
The thrust of my theses is that, a 'United Church', void of strife, subdued competition, and material cravings, is a feasible enterprise.
Re: How Biblical Is Church Denominationalism? by Kobojunkie: 5:33am On Mar 09
abumereose:
■ As result of this divisionist tradition, we now have many, competing and conflicting doctrines. Christians have left their primary task of soul-winning, to that of struggle for members to fill their churches - come to my church rather than come to Jesus - and GOD is not pleased by this practice. The thrust of my theses is that, a 'United Church', void of strife, subdued competition, and material cravings, is a feasible enterprise.
What you describe is impossible given that this division you see today — with well over 47,000 denominations/Sects, all of them part and parcel of the religion of Christianity, and growing in number by the year—, was present from the very beginning of what you know as your churches today. undecided

Now, you may think that what you know as Christianity today can be traced back to the apostles in Jerusalem. But the fact is that there is no direct link between your churches today and what the disciples set up in Jerusalem more than 1900 years ago. There were attempts made by the so-called church fathers — Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp of Smyrna, Papias of Hierapolis, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus of Lyons, Clement of Alexandria, Athanasius of Alexandria, the Cappadocian Fathers (Basil of Caesarea, Gregory Nazianzus, Gregory of Nyssa), Peter of Sebaste, Diodorus of Tarsus, Theodore of Mopsuestia, John Chrysostom, Cyril of Alexandria, Maximus the Confessor, and John of Damascus.. and so on— to present themselves as having interacted directly with the disciples o Jesus Christ at one point or another but many of those attempts have been found to have been fraudulent at best. undecided

For example, Polycarp claimed he was a disciple of John, but Polycarp was not of Israelite descent, and John, knew very well that it was a sin against Jesus Christ to preach the Gospel to the dogs — non-Israelites. So, Polycarp's claim to have been a disciple of John casts John the apostles as an apostate and that could not have been the case since the same John is said to have written the book of Revelation and proclaimed Himself the disciple Jesus Christ loved — those loved by Jesus Christ are those who live their lives in continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. As you can see, John could not have been loved and at the same time been living in blatant sin by Polycarp's claim. undecided

And each one of those so-called church fathers brought their various doctrines and traditions. At Nicea, attempts were made to reconcile many of the different doctrines, not with the teachings of Jesus Christ but with each other, further creating a complete shift away from that which is in fact of Scripture and more towards that which is solely of the doctrines and traditions of men. Did this attempt stop the division? Of course not! It only gave way to more and more division within the groups. There was a lot of fighting, wars even, and today the religion now boasts of many more separate groups within the same sects and so on. undecided
Re: How Biblical Is Church Denominationalism? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:22am On Mar 09
abumereose:
One may think that I am an iconoclast because of the issue I am about to broach. But I am not. I am only being meticulous and fearful for myself and others, on how to really please GOD.
The most disturbing problem and question I think we should be concerned about, is the question of present-day dominance of church denominationalism. All that is obtainable today is, a multiplicity of churches in societies. There is a church after every count of 4 to 5 houses in a street, churches in every football field and, in every classrooms on campuses, and churches in residential homes.
Is church denomination a real christian thing? Can it be justified? What are the motives for this indiscriminate planting of churches? Is Bible the author of this chasm?(1 Chor 1:10,12-13. Rom 16:17, Eph 4:4-5) ? Is GOD happy with it? Has this any effect on the Church's outlook and effectiveness? These are questions that cannot be, in any way, answered in favour of this appalling trend.
If we are to draw inspiration from the early Church,we are to closely look at how it was. All that could be, was,' the Church in Ephesus',' the Church in Rome', and so on. It would have been possible for the early churche to convene in one place to worship, if it wasn't for distance barrier and other communication problems . If the early church,that we so much look up to, were not divided, then, why are we? Or did Paul or Peter ever, in any way, emphasized division? Is church a one man thing? The obvious answer to these questions is a capital 'NO'.
As result of this divisionist tradition, we now have many, competing and conflicting doctrines. Christians have left their primary task of soul-winning, to that of struggle for members to fill their churches - come to my church rather than come to Jesus - and GOD is not pleased by this practice.
The thrust of my theses is that, a 'United Church', void of strife, subdued competition, and material cravings, is a feasible enterprise.

Jesus Christ has just one group or organization Satan is behind different religions claiming they are for the same God yet contradicting themselves in teachings and doctrines Jesus' disciples have the same line of thought when it comes to teaching and doctrine! John 17:22; 1Corinthians 1:10

So if anyone comes claiming he or she is one of us but not ready to stick to the oneness in thought we must not talk to him, we must not pray with him and we must not eat with him! Romans 16:17; 2John 1:10-11
Re: How Biblical Is Church Denominationalism? by MindHacker9009(m): 1:56pm On Mar 09
God of true Judaism gave the Ten Commandments. All Jewish synagogues are under on central body and you will find The Ten Commandments in every Jewish synagogue. Jesus was invented by the Roman empire to remotely control the minds of the people and slaves in the nations they have conquered and that's why you find so many different churches all claiming to be following the same Jesus. That's is why it says in the NT: Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

The 10 Commandments
You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

(1) (Reply)

Check out this church poster that got people talking / Nigerian Lady Accuses RCCG Of N100m Fraud / Jehovah's Witnesses: Judge Orders Jehovah’s Witness To Release Molestation Files

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.