Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,224 members, 7,887,602 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 11:12 AM

Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! (11296 Views)

Help! Duration Of Immigration And Custom Check / This Woman Acts As The Conductor Of Her Own Bus (photos) / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Murat: 11:36am On Feb 14, 2010
Guys am kind of boiling with anger and desperation. i got a visa to study in one of the EU countries. i was about to travel, i took with me the admission letter, flight ticket and even Bta and to my surprise when i got to the airport, after the usual screening and obtaining boarding pass, ı was stopped by the immigration officers  and their reason being that i have a virgin passport. I told them yes that it is a virgin passport and am about to disvirgin it, I even try to sort out, they collected the money and withheld my passport, I missed the flight and couldn'tget my passport. What do u suggest i do!
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 14, 2010
probably a fake visa
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 14, 2010
I experince the same situation when i travelled from Nigeria to Germany for the first time some years ago, you cant immagine those stupid immigration officers robbing me of $50 because i have a virgin passport, well, under normal situation if you sort them with the money i guess you ought to be giving you passort back except there is something wrong somewhere, you have to sort it out , so you left the international airport(immigration officers)without collecting your passport? well then it must be fake or something, because if is not you suppose to battle with dem , na,
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by symbian03(m): 1:29pm On Feb 14, 2010
Simple
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by justwise(m): 2:16pm On Feb 14, 2010
I had the same prob 11 or 12 yrs ago, it was my 1st time as well, i was with my sister-inlaw, they searched my bag and saw Nigerian home movies and some sleeping tablets, they said i got too many home movies with me, that only 4 or 5 is allowed out of Nigeria(i got 12) and that the tablet i got is a control drug.
I told them to take the movies and drug and leave me alone, they searched my sister in-law and saw $50 and some naira and wanted to take the money i refused then hell broke down.
They said we are not going anywhere that we have committed immigration offences and all that. My sister inlaw was crying, all eyes were on us, our flight was just 15mins away, my cloths are everywhere as they have removed everything while searching my bag. I refused to let go the naira and $, the public address system announced that our flight will be leaving in 10mins time then they asked my sister inlaw to leave, as she was going then the chief immigration officer came while i was still struggling with them and he asked what was going on, i told him that they are asking me for bribe, he didn't find it funny with them, he asked them to let me off and make sure i don't miss my flight, they had to run with me, jumping all checks to make sure i catch my flight and i did.
If u got nothing to hide then don't ever ever give up, fight for ur right.

1 Like

Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by noblegas2(m): 3:23pm On Feb 14, 2010
Lol. Ya'll ar so lucky.i was stripped off $80 by dose rubbish immigration wen i was travelin to Oman 3years ago.i showed them my visa,admission letter and $3000 BTA.
First off, dey told me dt cuz am travellin wiv a virgin passport, i av 2 settle dem.meanwhile, my sister dat tuk me 2 D airport told me nt 2 giv any1 money. Bt D immigration officer gave me 2 bad options wich are
1, I shuld settle him on time so dat i wont miss my flight and it was bowt dt time dat dey announcd dat all passengers travelin on Emirates had only 15mins b4 D boarding gates wil b closed. OR
2. Failure to bribe him wil result in him delayin me and hereby makin me miss my flight n if i do, d Airline penalty charges is $100.and he made me realisd dat he wil be on duty tomorow to delay me again and i wil kip on payin D airline until i bribe him.so in oda words, i av no options @ all.anyways, i handed him a $100 n gave me a change of $20.Jeez! I raind heavy curses on he and his generations and gosh, i was such a fool 2 pay maga money.
Bt last time i passed there, i was lukin 4 him 2 come and check ow virgin my passport was or even ask me 4 1kobo.i don swear say i go cause scene nd nobody go travel dat day bt alas, he was nower 2 B found n nobody askd me 4 a dime.so my advice 4 1st time travellers is to b confident and neva 2 giv anybody any ish cuz he no get RECIEPT O! Lol
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by AjanleKoko: 9:54am On Feb 15, 2010
justwise:

I had the same prob 11 or 12 yrs ago, it was my 1st time as well, i was with my sister-inlaw, they searched my bag and saw Nigerian home movies and some sleeping tablets, they said i got too many home movies with me, that only 4 or 5 is allowed out of Nigeria(i got 12) and that the tablet i got is a control drug.
I told them to take the movies and drug and leave me alone, they searched my sister in-law and saw $50 and some naira and wanted to take the money i refused then hell broke down.
They said we are not going anywhere that we have committed immigration offences and all that. My sister inlaw was crying, all eyes were on us, our flight was just 15mins away, my cloths are everywhere as they have removed everything while searching my bag. I refused to let go the naira and $, the public address system announced that our flight will be leaving in 10mins time then they asked my sister inlaw to leave, as she was going then the chief immigration officer came while i was still struggling with them and he asked what was going on, i told him that they are asking me for bribe, he didn't find it funny with them, he asked them to let me off and make sure i don't miss my flight, they had to run with me, jumping all checks to make sure i catch my flight and i did.
If u got nothing to hide then don't ever ever give up, fight for your right.

Good one justwise.
We need more people in Nigeria that just won't shut up.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Murat: 10:46am On Feb 15, 2010
Its not a fake visa or fake passport! I collected the passport, but was told that i wont travel. ı dont even understand why they are doing all these
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Superbrain(m): 10:58am On Feb 15, 2010
You had better fight for your right, except there's something fishy about your intended trip. If the embassy could issue you the visa and you did not break any immigration law, then why the hell shouldn't you travel? Don't let go of any of your hard earned cash. Ask to speak with their CIO, if that does not work, create a scene. (a good one oh!)
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Fhemmmy: 2:18pm On Feb 15, 2010
If you are sure it is a real visa and all that, then take it to the higher authority
Log a complaint at the office of Immigration
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Vicjustice: 2:46pm On Feb 15, 2010
Murat:

Guys am kind of boiling with anger and desperation. i got a visa to study in one of the EU countries. i was about to travel, i took with me the admission letter, flight ticket and even Bta and to my surprise when i got to the airport, after the usual screening and obtaining boarding pass, ı was stopped by the immigration officers and their reason being that i have a virgin passport. I told them yes that it is a virgin passport and am about to disvirgin it, I even try to sort out, they collected the money and withheld my passport, I missed the flight and couldn'tget my passport. What do u suggest i do!
This brief story that you narrated here is not enough to cause you that much trouble. And yes, there could be some daring acts by immigration officers, but not to the extent of making you miss your flight while they still hold on to your travel document. there must have been something more than the ordinary involved in your document or with your activities. Perhaps it's a resemblance stuff?
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmmmm, this story is getting to another un-belivable level,
They gave you your passport with the visa inclusive and now restricting you from travelling
heheheheh are you a terrorist?? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, tell this story to the dogs, i dont buy it anymore, tongue
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Murat: 5:54pm On Feb 15, 2010
i got my passport back and the visa intact, the immigration officer said that u cant travel anymore or we will arrest you! i was really dumb founded because i havent done anything fishy nor go against immigration laws. How can u say its resemblance! i went to the embassy myself, had the interview, paid my fess and got the visa. even the airline i was ment to travel with had already taken my luggage. Its kind of unbelievable story, but its all true
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Fhemmmy: 5:58pm On Feb 15, 2010
I think there is more to this story.
Infact, i think they do u a favor by letting you go, cos i think there is something wrong more than we are being informed
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by omega25red(m): 1:28am On Feb 16, 2010
Murat:

i got my passport back and the visa intact, the immigration officer said that u cant travel anymore or we will arrest you! i was really dumb founded because i havent done anything fishy nor go against immigration laws. How can u say its resemblance! i went to the embassy myself, had the interview, paid my fess and got the visa. even the airline i was ment to travel with had already taken my luggage. Its kind of unbelievable story, but its all true
so what did you do about your missed flight? and how are you fighting what has been done to you? did you reschedule your flight? did you get your taken luggage back? are you going to another airport to try again?
whats the deal
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by kadman(m): 1:44am On Feb 16, 2010
All of you shouting fake visa are just plain silly ! As if you don't know the Nigerian Immigration, they believe that an do anything as they have nothing to lose. The OP is probably a slow guy and easily intimidated.

@ Justwise. . Nice one ! The country needs more people like you.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by justwise(m): 7:37am On Feb 16, 2010
kadman:

All of you shouting fake visa are just plain silly ! As if you don't know the Nigerian Immigration, they believe that an do anything as they have nothing to lose. The OP is probably a slow guy and easily intimidated.
@ Justwise. . Nice one ! The country needs more people like you.

I agree with u there, all they care about is ur money and if u are unlucky to be traveling with virgin passport then u are in for a tough one.

If you u got nothing to hide pls pls and pls do not give in!!!, don't encourage them by giving them money, its not a crime to travel with virgin passport. If you want to appreciate any of them by giving them gift or money then fine but don't be bullied into it.
They are paid to do that job.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by suxes2005(m): 9:58am On Feb 16, 2010
Murat,

maybe u agreed with them to intimidate you and
maybe u r a gentle person.

It not a crime to travel with a virgin passport
and if u dont travel 4 d first time, how can ur psprt
be dis-virgnd?

Aside dat, two fings might be wrong.
A fake visa i guess or resemblance like some1 said

2ndly, maybe it's hosuehold battle. I'm tellin u d truth
A guy in my church came to mypastor and said he travelled
3ce and was deported at d port of entry.

D immigration officer said dey r seeing a lady's face on d passport.
It was until God's intervention dat d man was able to travel and finally
he is in Us now.

I fink u need to pray if u r sure it nt a fake
visa

SHALOM
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by ayettymama(f): 12:40pm On Feb 16, 2010
go and get a lawyer and sue them!!

dont even let it go!!!

soo many people are victims of this nonsense

if the passport is fake they need to prove it!

virgin passport ko!

good luck
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by dkings101(m): 1:06pm On Feb 16, 2010
They r fond of this stupid act which is very bad. They collected my friend $900 with this intimidation. When I visited 9ja, I was 100% ready to fight with these dogs at the airport when am returning back to my base. Can you imagine peeps, on getting to the airport to queue for boarding, one stupid dude on civilian cloth came up to me and said "Can I know you sir" and I said sure you can. He asked if he can see my passport and I ask him to show me is ID Card to identify himself, the next thing this stupid guy did was to bring out handcuff, imagine in public and me on queue. I told him handcuff is what I can get myself to intimidate him as well that what I need was is ID Card to know who he is, he started making noise. I was almost ready to take up this dude to any level cos they think am a fresh traveler not until my mum pleaded to me to give him my passport which I did and He flipped thru and saw so many visas and then gave it back to me. After that ppl applaud me on how I took up the matter. When I finally got to the Customs, they cask for my passport which I gave them and they also saw all my visa and countries I ve been to. Then they gave me back the passport and opened there mouth to beg for mouth which I gave them N500. They are alot of them at the terminal. They intimidate new traveller cos they know you must be holding hard currencies.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by FBS: 1:16pm On Feb 16, 2010
Murat:

Sorry but how old are you? Are you certain your passport and visa are both genuine?
If so, where is it written that you cannot travel with a "virgin" passport?
On what basis were you threatened with arrest?
Who is going to refund your ticket for the missed flight?
And you just mellowed and did nothing?
I'm sorry but I fail to believe this.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by FBS: 1:26pm On Feb 16, 2010
See below some of your posts on NL. The last one there is very meaty. . .fishy fishy.

Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by mrofficial(m): 2:03pm On Feb 16, 2010
Nothing is fake. Pray they don't cancel the visa. They re fuckin $hitz
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by beknown(m): 2:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
Murat:

@Murat,

No matter how intimidating the immigration authorities are in Nigeria, you have a responsibility to insist on your right. This is why your story sounds unbelievable. You do not seem to be concerned in anyway that you were not allowed to travel for your studies.

If you truely believe the visa and passport are not fake, you must go to the Head of Immigration at the airport. If he/she fails to listen to your complaint, take his/her full name and meet a local lawyer.

The lawyer need to draft a strong letter to the head of immigration. The immigration need to pay you for your loss and inconvenience. The law in Nigeria is very potent in this area but if you shy away from picking a fight, you will not be doing yourself a favour. Your inaction will give the immigration the power to do it to other people.

If you comeback to this post with information that you cannot afford a lawyer, that will be understandable and help will come.

For now, you have a responsibility to fight for your right so that your credibility in Nairaland will be good.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by r231(m): 2:42pm On Feb 16, 2010
ayettymama:

go and get a lawyer and sue them!!

dont even let it go!!!

soo many people are victims of this nonsense

if the passport is fake they need to prove it!

virgin passport ko!

good luck

very funny
get a lawyer and sue WHO
in nigeria who must be joking
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by beknown(m): 2:51pm On Feb 16, 2010
r231:

very funny
get a lawyer and sue WHO

@r231,

It is possible to apply the law in Nigeria. The problem is that many people choose to be scared. A true man should not be caught up in fear.

Read about the case of Miss Uzoma Okere v The Naval Ratings Officer and their Boss:
http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2010/01/uzoma-okere-won-n100-mn-video.html
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by ayettymama(f): 2:57pm On Feb 16, 2010
r231:

very funny
get a lawyer and sue WHO

thats the attitude that lets them get away with it

with hard evidence any money hungry lawyer can beat them down

they might even resort to settlin outside of court!
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by enomakos(m): 3:50pm On Feb 16, 2010
guy ,u never ready to be billionaire,if i be you i go sue immigration for 500 billion damage,

if u passport is not fake then there is nothing to worry about just sue them
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by MsTom(f): 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2010
I cant believe what I am reading.
First question, Is this happening in Nigeria? Why are you still at the airport whining? Go look for their supervisors or go get a lawyer or go to the embassy for help. If they need prove about your school, call the school. If they need info about the passport or visa, go to the embassy. They are taking advantage of you maybe cos they sense that you dont know your rights. As per the airline who took off with your stuff, you have a right to sue them. They have no right to take the luggage of anyone who never entered the plane. They need to get your luggage back with apologies. If you are not on board, they were supposed to remove your luggage. (Few people Know this) That is a security risk you know.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by omar22(m): 4:27pm On Feb 16, 2010
In 2001 I went home for my sisters wedding, on getting to the immigration check point at Muritala Muhammed Airport, I gave the guy £10 because the guy was nice and respectable, my sisters brother-in-law was a top ranked Naval officer who promised to come and pick me up, so I had my suitcase, then a guy turned up and said he could help get my suitcase through the customs, I said I would give him £10 he said no that he wants $100, I said forget it, he said I wont leave this place, it came as a treat, every 10 minutes this guy would come up and say am I ready, I said no,  so he turned up the heat, then I told him to FFFFFF off he went to call another person who was requesting for my passport, I said they have already checked my passport, they said they wanted to check it again, I said no, so things heated up…,  That’s when my in-law turned up with a group of officers … GBAS GBAS GBAS  (na slaps oo) on these guys… apparently these guys are not meant to be in the arrival lounge but helping people in the departure lounge.

My people I just pick up my 2 suitcases and walked through all the officers, who were revved up to deal with me that evening.
Re: Airport Immigration And Their Monstrous Acts! by Lordfish(m): 5:07pm On Feb 16, 2010
OGA SORRY OH! THEY DID IT TO ME WHEN I WANT TO ENTER GHANA THEY ASK ME HOW MUCH ARE MY GOING WITH I TOLD THEM $500. THEY ASK ME AGAIN WHEN WILL I COME BACK? I TOLD THEM 3DAYS TIME. WHEN DEY SEE THE MONEY THEM SAID I MUST GIVE THEM $50 I ASK THEM WHY THEM SAID THAT I AM GOING WITH A NEW PASSPORT. I NOW TELL THEM NO. FOR ABOUT 15MINS THEM LETER TAKE 500 NAIRA MAY GOD HELP US IN NIG.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Signs You May Miss Your Flight / How much is switzerland visa and flight ticket money in nigeria.. please help / Christmas: Enugu Indigenes Get Free Transport From Gov. Ugwuanyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.