Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,631 members, 7,918,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:57 PM

I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son (2672 Views)

IPOD Conversation With The Yoruba Friend- One Nigeria Concept / Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum / Zik’s Son Cant Sleep In His Father’s House Because Its In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by newmaster(m): 6:04am On Feb 17, 2010
I disagree with my father’s one Nigeria concept –Zik’s son
From KASSIDY UCHENDU, Nsukka
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

• Zik
Photo: Sun Publishing
More Stories on This Section
Although Chief Chukwuma Bamidele Azikiwe, the present Owelle of Onitsha and first son of Nigeria’s first President and Governor-general, the late Rt. Hon Dr Nnamadi Azikiwe, shares in the aspiration and ideology of one Nigeria of his late father, he still believes that this ideology has become anachronistic.

Chief Azikiwe, who expressed this opinion in an interview with Daily Sun at Nsukka, said the ideology has out-lived its usefulness, pointing out that the ideology served as a tool to keep Nigeria together for the attainment of independence.
“Every era carries with it peculiar problems and solution and what was necessary at that time might not be needed in our own era”, the Owelle opined.

He, however, re-affirmed his strong faith in one and indivisible Nigeria and the principle of unity in diversity, but said no one tribe should be left alone to face the challenges posed by the unity.
“God knows why he had to bring the various ethnic nationalities together”, he noted and urged Nigerians to learn to tolerate one another in order to achieve enduring unity.

“Colonialism and racism are no longer the menace in Africa”, he observed, pointing out that the pre-independence leaders had to unite to be able to wrest power from Britain.
Repudiating racism, the Owelle re-called that time was when Nigerians were barred from being seen in Ikoyi area of Lagos State after 6p.m.

“My father was a pan-Africanist and a strong advocate of one and indivisible nation. I also preach it myself, but I advise Nigerians to play down on those things that divide us while emphasizing the things that unite us”, Chief Azikiwe stressed.
He frowned at the use of divisive sentiments by some politicians to divide the country to serve their selfish interests, saying this has been the bane of the country.
He described Nigerians as wonderful people, pointing out, however, that there are “good and bad Igbos, good and bad Yorubas and similarly, good and bad Hausas.”

The Owelle speaking generally on the state of the nation emphasized the need for the implementation of the pertinent parts of the Mohammed Uwais electoral reform report, stressing that good governance cannot be attained in the country without true and sustainable democracy.
According to him, only a good electoral process can ensure the emergence of popular candidates in elections even as he regretted that in the present situation of selection instead of election in the country seem to be the order of the day.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/feb/17/national-17-02-2010-16.htm

1 Like

Re: I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by EzeUche(m): 7:21am On Feb 17, 2010
One Nigeria is a myth. It would have been nice if we all could get along with each other, but history proves otherwise. sad
Re: I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by pcmecom(m): 8:28am On Feb 17, 2010
O
ne Nigeria is a myth. It would have been nice if we all could get along with each other, but history proves otherwise.

You have a point, but I personally believe in "one nigeria", I dont say this as a form of national unity but rather on the basis of the fact that most of the challenges we face as a nation are man-made and can be resolved. If only we can look beyond our differences, then perhaps we can begin to see that we are the same people but our ideologies may differ. I believe the enemies of nigeria are exploiting our differences to bring division in the country.

There are other countries out there with a diverse population like ours and yet still manage to co-exist with the neighbours,I dont see why we cant replicate such in nigeria.
Re: I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by citizenY(m): 8:35am On Feb 17, 2010
Bamidele, some people will remove your red cap and trample it. Dem go throway that feather inside fire. grin

People like Mekus baba cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by Afam4eva(m): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2010
A one united Nigeria is possible only if we do things right.
Re: I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by WilyWily5: 9:41am On Feb 17, 2010
Nigeria is not one and will never be One.
Re: I Disagree With My Father’s One Nigeria Concept –zik’s Son by citizenY(m): 9:52am On Feb 17, 2010
^^^^
Bamidele, c one of dem.
I talk am, e no go tey, grin

(1) (Reply)

Chile Eboe-Osuji, A Nigerian, & 4 Others Sworn In As ICC Judges In The Hague / From The Archive(s): Amazing Pre And Post Independence Nigerian Photos / TRUTH AT LAST! Yes, Babangida Killed Dele Giwa” – Major Debo Basorun Rtd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.