Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,119 members, 7,943,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 (18661 Views)

China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market Next Year...here's The Detai / Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by swagifted(m): 8:23am On Aug 26, 2017
Emjay1310:
Welcomed idea but we've not seen light 24 hrs yet, how will the cars be charged then? Cost of light will just shoot up.
if more people electrify their means of transport, more fossil fuel will be available for power plants
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by ActionsShure: 8:25am On Aug 26, 2017
Men
I must open solar sbop b4 dec
2018 smillimg to me.
Charge terminal at my solar spot.
1K a day.
Full charge

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by x6blade(m): 8:28am On Aug 26, 2017
Electric vehicle aren't just electric most of them are autonomous I.e self driving, and are always connected to data ,Nigerian roads are terrible and Google maps is terrible here
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by colossus91(m): 8:30am On Aug 26, 2017
hope the car battery can use desktop chargergrin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by AndriaRich(m): 8:30am On Aug 26, 2017
i jst hope using the eletric cars will have absolutely nothing to do with NEPA...... grin

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Wristler: 8:32am On Aug 26, 2017
grin

I'm happy tho.... Nothing concern me with electric cars......My thoughts are how Nigeria will become the dumping ground for orthodox cars and how Range will become the cheapest taxi

Before you blame me, blame Buhari, blame PDP, APC blame everything and everyone holding Nigeria down

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:33am On Aug 26, 2017
bgossipnaija:

Nigus Enfinity, an indigenous firm, says it will introduce electric vehicles into the Nigerian automobile market in 2018 and that its local assembly plant for electric vehicles will be ready in 2020.

Malik Ado-Ibrahim, chairman of the company, made this known to journalists in an interactive session which held in Abuja on Thursday.

Ado-Ibrahim said several countries across the world have set targets for the ban of petrol-fuelled vehicles with India targeting 2030, and the United Kingdom, 2040.

He said Nigeria and Africa need to look inward to be at the fore of the automotive revolution or risk becoming waste bin for banned vehicles from other countries.

Ado-Ibrahim, who was the first African to lead the Formula 1 Team global race car competition in 1999, said his firm is already building a 100 megawatts (mw) solar power plant in Katsina and another in Adamawa state.

According to him, the company has also partnered with Build Your Dreams, a Chinese firm, to import electric vehicles at affordable costs from 2018.

“We are also working with BYD to get a local brand and start an electric vehicle assembly plant for Nigeria from 2020. Gradually we will move to an EV with the African DNA starting in Nigeria,” he said.

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/08/electric-cars-to-be-introduced-into.html

[img]https://3.bp..com/-yW68CbLEEnk/WaAQa0bj-tI/AAAAAAAAFJE/kIumAbv9OWM-nmOg6OXfDP39ICesz_-GQCLcBGAs/s640/electric_cars_Energy_13.jpg[/img]
with epιlepтιc power ѕυpply?anyway nιgerιanѕ are lιĸe ѕnaĸeѕ alwayѕ ιn every вad ѕтory..
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Exponental(m): 8:39am On Aug 26, 2017
Won't it be advisable to put a generator in the trunk? (sarcasm)
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by litaninja(m): 8:42am On Aug 26, 2017
Lmao! Will electricity be introduced to the Nigerian market by 2018
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by LordofNaija: 8:43am On Aug 26, 2017
So i go go buy 5k diesel use charge car wey no go last ne 2hours journey. As an igbo man all i can say is kolewerkgringringrin

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by princetom1(m): 8:46am On Aug 26, 2017
INTERMAN:
What about the charging points and location?. I heard there is only a specified place for the charging just like filling stations.Thos areas uses solar and private power sources.Because electric cars can't be charge at home.It will drain the power and destroy transformers.And there is a special terminal to connect it to a charging point which is not available for private use yet.

Not true. You can charge ur electric vehicles at home. As a matter of fact, charging stations in the US are strategically placed alongside travel routes (that was the original plan) for those who are planning long journey before EV increased and they now having them in oda strategic locations (am using tesla as sample)

2 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by princetom1(m): 8:48am On Aug 26, 2017
Them never build correct vehicle, na EV dem wan build, make dem continue....

cc: EgunMogaji, GAZZUZZ, Davodyguy, Ogakazeem, SmartChoices, NgcoboP, nurey, diporlivo, uzuz, cyborg123, Emperoh
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 26, 2017
Black man and consumption like 5 & 6
Instead of thinking about how to get 24/7 electricity for atleast a week, they are trying to purchase their colonial masters latest product. grin grin
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Mentcee(m): 8:58am On Aug 26, 2017
The illiterate idiot called Buhari will not allow it as it will be counter productive to his fixation with oil!
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by mrdipye(m): 9:07am On Aug 26, 2017
PissedOffWeed:
embarassed We nigerians never get enough power to charge ordinary 6000 amh phones to our taste..... Now they are bringing electric cars?
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 26, 2017
bgossipnaija:

Nigus Enfinity, an indigenous firm, says it will introduce electric vehicles into the Nigerian automobile market in 2018 and that its local assembly plant for electric vehicles will be ready in 2020.

Malik Ado-Ibrahim, chairman of the company, made this known to journalists in an interactive session which held in Abuja on Thursday.

Ado-Ibrahim said several countries across the world have set targets for the ban of petrol-fuelled vehicles with India targeting 2030, and the United Kingdom, 2040.

He said Nigeria and Africa need to look inward to be at the fore of the automotive revolution or risk becoming waste bin for banned vehicles from other countries.

Ado-Ibrahim, who was the first African to lead the Formula 1 Team global race car competition in 1999, said his firm is already building a 100 megawatts (mw) solar power plant in Katsina and another in Adamawa state.

According to him, the company has also partnered with Build Your Dreams, a Chinese firm, to import electric vehicles at affordable costs from 2018.

“We are also working with BYD to get a local brand and start an electric vehicle assembly plant for Nigeria from 2020. Gradually we will move to an EV with the African DNA starting in Nigeria,” he said.

http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/08/electric-cars-to-be-introduced-into.html

[img]https://3.bp..com/-yW68CbLEEnk/WaAQa0bj-tI/AAAAAAAAFJE/kIumAbv9OWM-nmOg6OXfDP39ICesz_-GQCLcBGAs/s640/electric_cars_Energy_13.jpg[/img]

Lol, they will use generator to charge the cars oo
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Lexusgs430: 9:12am On Aug 26, 2017
proffmanue:
what Kva of generator can we use to charge it?

Mtn Lumos aka yellow box.......

We never charge bulb finish, nah motor remain.... Pipe dream......
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by TheShopKeeper(m): 9:15am On Aug 26, 2017
1. Fossil oil is gradually in very low demand...all the yanga of our brothers from the oil producing areas will stop.

2. A very stupid idea, where is the electricity now even for just domestic consumption.
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by YelloweWest: 9:18am On Aug 26, 2017
Lol.. wey light to take charge am??
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 26, 2017
Just make sure you carry generator in your boot, just in case.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 26, 2017
Emjay1310:
Welcomed idea but we've not seen light 24 hrs yet, how will the cars be charged then? Cost of light will just shoot up.

The car will be for the rich, In fact there will be no tokunbo, so you have nothing to worry about.
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by ginggerxy: 9:57am On Aug 26, 2017
mccoy47:
Oil gradually phasing out
don't worry, you will still need fuel to power your generator cool
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Godwin2real: 10:18am On Aug 26, 2017
Think think people they are not stupid just dat they need ur money if u want to charge, i wonder if they can produce electric car want happen to solar car...... Na my money they need. Na business development.
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by iamjavadem(m): 10:21am On Aug 26, 2017
Emjay1310:
Same way you are seeing light to charge your phone, laptop and watch dstv.

1 Like

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by cyborg123(m): 10:24am On Aug 26, 2017
princetom1:
Them never build correct vehicle, na EV dem wan build, make dem continue....

cc: EgunMogaji, GAZZUZZ, Davodyguy, Ogakazeem, SmartChoices, NgcoboP, nurey, diporlivo, uzuz, cyborg123, Emperoh
It's a good start. EVs seem to be less complex than normal vehicles.
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by ExInferis(m): 10:33am On Aug 26, 2017
We gonna need bigger powerbanks.
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by mikool007(m): 10:39am On Aug 26, 2017
There is hardly electricity you want to bring cars that run solely on electricity, dum people
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by bellyjean(m): 10:53am On Aug 26, 2017
I am a little bit disappointed with many responses here.

He wants to break in through Adamawa and kastina states. He builds his solar plants there and have charging stations built across the important cities in the states. He does not plan to connect to the National grid in any way.

From business point of view, i'd love to see how he achieves this, given the high initial costs of purchasing an electric vehicle and much more, the cost of setting up 100MW solar plants and charging stations. Unless he has some government body subsidising the costs for him.

Although Electric vehicle will not pose any threats to ICEngine vehicles in Nigeria and for many countries in Africa; at least not in 10-15yrs from now, but whether we like it or not, the Nigerian Market is a fertile ground and with our unbridled thirst for luxury, class and foreign brands (even when they are not sustainable), we should begin to see these vehicles coming into Nigeria.

It is a good initiative though. He must have thought this through, must have had assurance from potential buyers who will patronise his cars(of course, his early buyers would be politicians and the elites). But when the economic indicies of Nigeria are on the negative scale, with over 112million nigerians living below $1 a day, Adammawa and Kastina states are not like London and California, He must think highly of himself as a messiah cheesy
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by modsfucker: 10:58am On Aug 26, 2017
How many units of electricity would one use to fully charge his car?
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 26, 2017
They will have have to provide constant electricity first grin grin grin
Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Originalsly: 11:25am On Aug 26, 2017
mikool007:
There is hardly electricity you want to bring cars that run solely on electricity, dum people
Sooo many share this view..... let me ask... isn't it also dumb to import laptops?...why import laptops and other stuff that need to be recharged when there is no steady electricity?...shouldn't we first wait for steady electricity? Backwardness is investing in what is becoming obsolete.....proudly allowing Nigeria to become a dumping ground. How many car companies are now bringing their plants to Nigeria?...their outdated plants ....that we are calling welcome development? We have to start from somewhere..... when something is new...not everyone can afford it....those who can... would have no problem in having the cars recharged. This is a private investor...should he wait for the government?....did Tesla wait for the US government?...the world is moving away from fossil fuel.... some of us don't even think about solar energy.....brain still locked into 1900's technologies and we are the first to call others dumb and backwards. Even Toyota..... so dominant in the market today.... says they don't want to be left behind and are now teaming up with Mazda to produce full electric cars.....and I'm sure 15 years down the road we will be soooo proud when Toyota moves its obsolete assembly plants to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Electric Cars To Be Introduced Into Nigerian Market By 2018 by Codes151(m): 11:46am On Aug 26, 2017
rottennaija:
Yes, we don't have light for now. But I believe if we set our bars high, we will have no choice than to work to achieve it.

i know! Hopefully we will! But we should learn to see the conspiracy through!

Even USA will not sit and let ur economy surpass theirs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drivers' License Expiration Is Now "5 Years" Says Federal Government / How Much For Golf3 / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.