Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,285 members, 7,910,505 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 10:22 AM

Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser (8737 Views)

Siasia Named Super Eagles Coach / Mikel Named Super Eagles Captain / Amodu Sacked, Foreign Technical Adviser To Be Appointed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by whiteroses(f): 4:53pm On Feb 28, 2010
its only a five month (renewable) contract dont rejoice yet cos oyinbo be ur coash tongue
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by txxxed(m): 6:31pm On Feb 28, 2010
Guys he is tough character, but i don't know if he is the best for us sha.
Read his complete profile here, http://gamegist.com/2010/02/28/nigeria-appoint-lars-lagerback-as-manager-is-he-the-best-for-the-eagles/
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by An0nimus: 8:15am On Mar 01, 2010
Nigerians will always cry faul. . .lets call a spade a spade.with the way SE played in the Nations cup(forget the fact that we took 3rd).d'you really think Amodu iz a very gud coach?l dont care to kno Uncle LL's (funny name FBS) past records. All i can do now iz hope for the best bt xpct the worst.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by FBS: 8:58am On Mar 01, 2010
LAGERBACK TO BE UNVEILED WEDNESDAY

Lars Lagerback is expected to be officially unveiled at a media conference on Wednesday, just before the friendly international against Democratic Republic of Congo in Abuja.

The Swede will remain in Abuja to complete negotiations on the final details of his contract and is expected to sign the deal early next week before his midweek unveiling.

The NFF have proposed three local assistants for him in Austin Eguavoen, Daniel Amokachi and Alloy Agu.

Lagerback has, however, proposed to bring in three of his own backroom staff – one assistant coach, one physical trainer and one scout.

Meanwhile, a top official of the NFF has told KickOffNigeria.com that Lagerback was only offered an initial five-month contract until August because his wages will be paid by the Presidential Task Force, which will cease to exist after that time.

“The PTF will be responsible for the wages of the new coach, and their job will end in August after the World Cup. From that point on, it is the NFF that will take up the responsibility for paying the coach and it will be up to us to decide whether we want to keep him or not, depending on our performance at the World Cup.”

NFF Executive Committee member Taiwo Ogunjobi added that if the Glass House were suitably impressed by Lagerback, he would be offered a minimum two-year deal.

“We hope that he will do very well. If he does, we will not give him anything less than a two-year contract,” Ogunjobi told KickOffNigeria.com.

The PTF was set up by Nigeria President Umaru Musa Yaradua to help secure World Cup qualification and prepare the team for the tournament and their brief will end after the World Cup.

http://www.kickoff.com/static/news/article.php?id=14105
---

+1 to Double L!
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by tlops(m): 9:01am On Mar 01, 2010
you can check this link to see the swedish readers reaction  to Lägerback's appointment as the SE coach

http://www.thelocal.se/25254/20100227/

C'mon man - Herr (Mr) Lars Lägerback has accomplished quite a lot with the Swedish team - considering the material that he's been working with,  Fact is that Sweden has some of the same problems that all countries that do not have a hugely successful ( lucrative) professional league have to contend with : namely that we sublet our talent to the English, Spanish, German, Italian leagues in exactly the same way that some African nations sublet their talents to far away places like Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Greece, where our lads may learn more of the teke-teke ( techniques) and tricks of the trade - and - so it seems lose some of the killer instincts of the tough guys back at home where it's still the survival of the fittest. What we saw of the African championships in Angola is not all that Africa's got to offer. Did you see Michael Essien for example? We didn't see him either because he probably had a tight professional schedule in his home club back in England.

Mr. Lägerback's personal motivation and goodwill for Nigeria and the Nigerian national soccer side must be tremendous. Just imagine if he could steer Nigeria to the final and to actually win THE WORLD CUP!!!! - the whole world will be at his feet - the memory of " Svennis" Sven-Göran Eriksson who is Swedish and was the national coach for England would soon be obliterated and everyone would be clamouring for the supreme Swedish coach Lars Lärgerback but who would be able to pay him ( the best) by then and how much would he be offered? How much would he be asking for? Would Sweden re-instate him or would he snub us and go where the real money is?

We shouldn't push this idea of national pride too far - England did not feel that it was national insult to have a Swede as their national coach - albeit he is as white a man as Bobby Charlton …. And even if the Swedes are a little closer to Scot-land than to Eng-land…,

Furthermore it would be good for Swedish business and for Sweden-Nigeria relations. WE are already best friends.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by greatnatio: 9:39am On Mar 01, 2010
Nigeria’s best players not in Eagles- Lagerback

Source: http://www.nigerianewspapersonline.net/nigerias-best-players-not-in-eagles-lagerback
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by FBS: 9:49am On Mar 01, 2010
Nigeria will have to brace up for a new team for the World Cup afterall, a new coach, Lars Lagerback, said he believes that several of the country’s top players have been shut out from the team.
The swede also made it clear that getting Nigeria to the last four in South Africa when the World Cup kicks off is not part of his mandate.
“There are some good Nigerian players who are not playing for the national team at the moment, whom I strongly believe should be playing for the Super Eagles,” declared Lagerback, who will address a Press conference in Abuja on Wednesday.
“I strongly believe that the best players of every country should be in the national team. I have been in touch with Nigerian players, both young and old, and I am quite familiar with their performances week in, week out.
“I, therefore, plan to select the best for Nigeria because the best should be playing for the national team.”
Lagerback continued: “The players, just like in any team, have to accept the new challenge. They need to know that things may be done in an unfamiliar way.” Besides his tactical shortcomings, Eagles’ former coach, Shuaibu Amodu, was often criticised for his team selection, picking injured or off-form players to the dismay of many.

http://www.nigerianewspapersonline.net/nigerias-best-players-not-in-eagles-lagerback
-----

Foreign or home based players?
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by snakova(m): 12:29pm On Mar 01, 2010
honeric01:

grin grin grin grin grin now you have your foreign coach, you will win the worldcup, don't worry ok? grin grin grin grin
We may not win world cup, but we may get to the semis grin grin grin
Our second round tie is fair, and we may just be lucky with the quarters.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by honeric01(m): 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2010
snakova:

We may not win world cup, but we may get to the semis grin grin grin
Our second round tie is fair, and we may just be lucky with the quarters.

stop dreaming, because he's a white man coach, you automatically thinks he's going to get to the semi final abi? keep dreaming. first round exit awaits you and your white coach. tongue
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by snakova(m): 1:00pm On Mar 01, 2010
honeric01:

stop dreaming, because he's a white man coach, you automatically thinks he's going to get to the semi final abi? keep dreaming. first round exit awaits you and your white coach. tongue
with a 3rd place winner at the WC? sure i would keep on dreaming. Its better than facing a stark naked reality with Amodu. You have to look beyond the color and take a glimpse at the achievements. I can gamble with a 3rd place winner at WC, not with a LOSER in Africa.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by otokx(m): 1:45pm On Mar 01, 2010
This is a no brainer.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by honeric01(m): 3:29pm On Mar 01, 2010
snakova:

with a 3rd place winner at the WC? sure i would keep on dreaming. Its better than facing a stark unclothed reality with Amodu. You have to look beyond the color and take a glimpse at the achievements. I can gamble with a 3rd place winner at WC, not with a LOSER in Africa.

What achievements does your king of kings have that supersedes what Amodu has?
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by montelik(m): 3:42pm On Mar 01, 2010
snakova:

with a 3rd place winner at the WC? sure i would keep on dreaming. Its better than facing a stark unclothed reality with Amodu. You have to look beyond the color and take a glimpse at the achievements. I can gamble with a 3rd place winner at WC, not with a LOSER in Africa.

Correction
Did Sweden finish 3rd at USA 94? True. Sweden finished third defeating Bulgaria in the 3rd place play-off.

Was Lars Lagerback the coach of the Swedish team that came 3rd at USA 94? NO. He didn't even go to USA 94. The coach of Sweden's USA 94 squad was Tommy Svensson.

Get your facts straight. Because you no like Amodu does not mean you should begin to inflate Lagerback's CV. He already has a better record than Amodu without exaggeration.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by honeric01(m): 3:49pm On Mar 01, 2010
montelik:

Correction
Did Sweden finished 3rd at USA 94? True. Sweden finished third defeating Bulgaria in the 3rd place play-off.

Now tell me, what record does he have that's better than that of Amodu? please enlighten me oo
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by fosbiggy(m): 4:19pm On Mar 01, 2010
Why are we so against this Lagerbeer or sorry Lagerback man, when we should be lagering front. Anyway, I have no problem with this man, the problem is that the NFF is runed by a group of people who have decided to hold this Country to ransom, for whatever reason. How will you appoint a coach when there is just one frendly window left, before the WORLD CUP. Is he being hired to fail or suceed, I dont understand!. For Amodu, he has lost the magic wand, that saw him dominate the Nigerian league and Africa with BCC Lions of Gboko in the early 90s, before being appoint to coach Nigeria, first in 1995 and secondly in 2001.Amodu is not daring. In a world cup year, he should have taken some risks, like the Ghanian Coach did, but he did not, hence he was busy catching the enemies of Nigerian football.We should reorganise after the World Cup
Amokachi should have led us to the World Cup.We are not going beyond the first round anyway.Lager front or back cant help us.No coach can . So since they have decided to waste money, let them. na dem sabi
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by pops1(m): 4:44pm On Mar 01, 2010
Lagerback has been in a coaching career since 1977, That's over 30 years and has not won any tournament in his entire career so far. Is this the worth of millions of £ befitting our bid for the world's cup? Pathetic.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by namdo(m): 5:14pm On Mar 01, 2010
i wonder how many friendly/warm up matches SE will play before wc begins. Na waaaaa well i wish my country luck in the competition ahead. I know that this is a very impromptu arrangement.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by asscend: 7:04pm On Mar 01, 2010
All complaints about the new Eagles coach should be sent to LASTMINUTE@NORMAL NAIJA WAY.COM
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by martinosi: 8:58am On Mar 02, 2010
Its the Vogue right now. to be coached by a foriegner
whats good enough for England is Sweet for Nigeria
and anyway Nigerians cant get enuff of Oyibo's lol!!! grin
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by mystikal(m): 9:17am On Mar 02, 2010
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by greatnatio: 10:12am On Mar 02, 2010
i thought i was the oldest man in my village, but now hear this:

Kanu is too old – Lagerback

Source: http://www.nigerianewspapersonline.net/kanu-is-too-old-lagerback
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by FBS: 10:49am On Mar 02, 2010
^^^You missed the point. Read very well.
We all know Kanu is not U-17 for goodness sake.  cheesy
The main question is this? Is he too old to play?
I have said this before and say it again, He is a BIG PLUS for the team if he (Kanu) is used properly.

NEWLY appointed  Technical Adviser, Lars Lagerbäck has disclosed that Super Eagles captain Nwankwo Kanu is experienced but too old.
He revealed his intention to grant Kanu audience before making a decision on whether the Portsmouth star will fit into his programme.
The former Sweden national team coach, stated that he would give every other player a chance to impress him but warned, Kanu is already on the wrong side of football.
“I know about Kanu and I know he is a good player. He is experienced, but getting old. That is true, but I can’t rule him out and assume he is too old to play.
“I plan to meet him and discuss with him and we will see where we go. I plan to meet many of the other players, because I know Nigeria has many good ones.
“The players are very good and this makes the team strong. We plan to get together and see what can be done with the team. I know Nigeria can do well with the quality (of players) we haveI like this. . .the word WE and not THEY,” he enthused.
Lagerback was appointed by Nigeria last Friday and is saddled with the responsibility of leading the Super Eagles to the World Cup slated for South Africa in June.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by snowdrops(m): 12:30pm On Mar 02, 2010
Even if we employ a hundred foreign coaches plus those from Mars, Nigeria will not win the world cup.

This action would have made more sense if it were done prior to the Nations cup which we stood a good chance of winning.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by semid4lyfe(m): 3:40pm On Mar 02, 2010
honeric01:

Now tell me, what record does he have that's better than that of Amodu? please enlighten me oo

E don do. . . .abeg sheath your sword. . . .Amodu is now history and Lagerback is now the present and the future (at least, until 5 mönths time, lol) Arguing from now till eternity won't put him back on the saddle to take S.E to SA 2010. . . .Let's support the team and pray & hope they perform well despite whoever is in charge.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by tlops(m): 5:12pm On Mar 02, 2010
I hope LagerBACK doesn't take us back as his name implies shocked shocked, from now e be lagerFRONT
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by honeric01(m): 6:22pm On Mar 02, 2010
semid4lyfe:

E don do. . . .abeg sheath your sword. . . .Amodu is now history and Lagerback is now the present and the future (at least, until 5 mönths time, lol) Arguing from now till eternity won't put him back on the saddle to take S.E to SA 2010. . . .Let's support the team and pray & hope they perform well despite whoever is in charge.

Guy, wetin dey vex me be say, why would they fire someone with 48% depth to hire someone with 49% depth? anyways, na here i go dey dey look jejely.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 07, 2010
http://www.lagerback.com/

New website for una coach. it's still being tinkered with sha.
Re: Lars Lagerback Named Super Eagles Technical Adviser by snakova(m): 1:07pm On Apr 08, 2010
montelik:

Correction
Did Sweden finish 3rd at USA 94? True. Sweden finished third defeating Bulgaria in the 3rd place play-off.

Was Lars Lagerback the coach of the Swedish team that came 3rd at USA 94? NO. He didn't even go to USA 94. The coach of Sweden's USA 94 squad was Tommy Svensson.

Get your facts straight. Because you no like Amodu does not mean you should begin to inflate Lagerback's CV. He already has a better record than Amodu without exaggeration.
He assisted the 94 coach. confirm on wikipedia.
honeric01:

What achievements does your king of kings have that supersedes what Amodu has?
Being an assistant to a 3rd place winning coach is better than Amodu can dream of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AFCON 2023: Peseiro Anticipates Tough Game Against Angola / Soccer Is For Sissies-rugby Is For Men / FIFA Bans Nigeria For Government Interference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.