Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,746 members, 7,915,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:00 PM

Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine (9484 Views)

Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. / Wole Soyinka Government High School / Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 1:08am On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo, you were 10 years old in JSS 1? shocked shocked shocked shocked

I entered JSS 1 at 19 years old back then in 1983. The youngest in my class then was 14 years old, and the oldest was 26 years old.

All these young kids nowadays sha.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 1:09am On Mar 07, 2010
Sagamite:

chiogo, you were 10 years old in JSS 1?  shocked shocked shocked shocked

I entered JSS 1 at 19 years old back then in 1983. The youngest in my class then was 14 years old, and th[b]e oldest was 26 years old.[/b]

All these young kids nowadays sha.

That is sad!!!!!!

26 @ middle school? I'd cry my a$$ out.

Sagamite, 19? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 1:14am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

That is sad!!!!!!

26 @ middle school? I'd cry my a$$ out.

Sagamite, 19? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ehn hen!!!

Kilode? I was the local champion in Sagamu as all my peers entered JSS 1 at the age of 21.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is child abuse in my books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne-Marie_Imafidon
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 1:19am On Mar 07, 2010
Sagamite:

Ehn hen!!!

Kilode? I was the local champion in Sagamu as all my peers entered JSS 1 at the age of 21.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is child abuse in my books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne-Marie_Imafidon
Kilode? Sagamite, JSS 1 ni age 19? Otun n bere lowo mi kilo de? grin grin grin Maa da mi lohun jare.

She aint the first one to go to college at age 12. nd you have to understand that in Nigerian [if she's Nigerian] they dont have an age limit to start school. In some other countries, you gotta be age 5 to start school, but in Naija, I dont think it really matters as long as money is being paid for the education.

I know a babe in South Florida, came here last year, she's 16, already a Junior in Uni.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 1:25am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Kilode? Sagamite, JSS 1 ni age 19? Otun n bere lowo mi kilo de? grin grin grin Maa da mi lohun jare.

She aint the first one to go to college at age 12. nd you have to understand that in Nigerian [if she's Nigerian] they dont have an age limit to start school. In some other countries, you gotta be age 5 to start school, but in Naija, I thinkit really matters as long as money is being paid for the education.

I know a babe in South Florida, came here last year, she's 16, already a Junior in Uni.

It is OK for someone else's child but not my child.

There is no need to rush a child's education like that. (S)He is not a circus animal to show the world.

No child of mine is entering uni before 17 at worst. Even if he is a genius that I allow to finish secondary school at 14, he will use the next three years learning something like being an entreprenuer's apprentice or a junior hand in a charity working P/T or doing something like building an engine/developing software.

I will rather have a well-rounded child than the praise of having a child prodigy.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 1:31am On Mar 07, 2010
Sagamite:

It is OK for someone else's child but not my child.

There is no need to rush a child's education like that. (S)He is not a circus animal to show the world.

No child of mine is entering uni before 17 at worst. Even if he is a genius that I allow to finish secondary school at 14, he will use the next three years learning something like being an entreprenuer's apprentice or a junior hand in a charity.

I will rather have a well-rounded child than the praise of having a child prodigy.

Sagamite, I know where you're coming from. . . . but it's not totally up to you.

If your child is a genius and wants to skip a grade, then its totally up to him/her.

As a parent, you should also let your child choose the best option for him[er] when it comes to education, placing a limit on him[er] is really not the best thing to do as a parent. undecided

Sagamite, why do you come across as controlling to me?
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by InesQor(m): 1:33am On Mar 07, 2010
I even thought it was just these two until I saw the link by Sagamite, led me to www.imafidon.com Haba these Imafidons are something else o! shocked
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by netotse(m): 1:38am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Sagamite, I know where you're coming from. . . . but it's not totally up to you.

If your child is a genius and wants to skip a grade, then its totally up to him/her.

As a parent, you should also let your child choose the best option for him[er] when it comes to education, placing a limit on him[er]  is really not the best thing to do as a parent. undecided

you're telling a nigerian man something is up to his children not to him? kai. . .i order you to repent, oya!
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 1:42am On Mar 07, 2010
netotse:

you're telling a nigerian man something is up to his children not to him? kai. . .i order you to repent, oya!
With Sagamite, I think I made a mistake. grin
Dude has a huge ego.

But sincerely, I wouldnt limit my children when it comes to their education.

Omo, its either they do it at my level or above my level, not below my level. Which parent doesnt want their child to do better than them.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 1:42am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

As a parent, you should also let your child choose the best option for him[er] when it comes to education, placing a limit on him[er]  is really not the best thing to do as a parent. undecided

How many 8 year olds do you know that want to skip a grade? This is mostly the wish of overbearing parents that are seeking glory stories to tell, not the child.

My child can start making suggestions on what they want once they start hitting puberty. The ones that have demonstrated good thinking, decision making and vision would be listened to. The ones that have demonstrated that they are dunces, follow peer pressure and are impressionable by useless role models will not get an inch until they are 18 or ready to take responsibilities for themselves [and would have to be subjected to paternity tests as well].

Controlling? No, I am not. I am just very clear about decisions about my life (me and the wards under me). If it is not my life, I am not interested in controlling it as long as decisions does not negatively impact my life.

I will fail as a parent if I have a child that is a genius but lacks social skills because they grew up standing out as a sour thumb just like a 13 year old will stand out in university.

Let my son go to university and read hard and party hard like a normal child. A 13 year old going to a Frat party would be looked at like a child, and would never get any pu-nani despite seeing several young, fresh and juicy ones his new internal hormonal devil companions are whispering to him to grab.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by netotse(m): 1:48am On Mar 07, 2010
imo i think this is not a case of what the child wants, but what the parents want. . .u want to tell me that if they now repeat, their parents wont flog the nonsense out of them?
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 1:49am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

With Sagamite, I think I made a mistake. grin
Dude has a huge ego.

The ego is normal for a man on my intellectual and intelligence level.  cool [Rubs his faadan (shaven) head]

FL Gators:

But sincerely, I wouldnt limit my children when it comes to their education.

Omo, its either they do it at my level or above my level, not below my level. Which parent doesnt want their child to do better than them.

You are not limiting their education by not rushing it. What are they going to learn at 14 that they can not learn at 17 and still be normal

When the child comes out without optimal ability to relate to others is when you will know they accelerated stages in education but simultaneously missed stages in personality development.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 1:57am On Mar 07, 2010
Sagamite:

How many 8 year olds do you know that want to skip a grade? This is mostly the wish of overbearing parents that are seeking glory stories to tell, not the child.

My child can start making suggestions on what they want once they start hitting puberty. The ones that have demonstrated good thinking, decision making and vision would be listened to. The ones that have demonstrated that they are dunces, follow peer pressure and are impressionable by useless role models will not get an inch until they are 18 or ready to take responsibilities for themselves.
Sagamite, Sagamite, Sagamite. How many times did I call you?

There's a different between enforcing your child to to way above his stage, but when he chooses to exceed above the normality of expectations, then I believe that it's totally up to him. And he can do that with your blessing and prayer.

If my child exceeds above the other kids in his class, begs me for an education within his [level], begs me to study hard, I will not say "No, since you already know what's being taught in class, go and watch T.V". If his test scores suggests that he can do more and better, if my child DECIDES to do more and better, then who am I to say no?

How many parents wish for a child that choose to exceed better than the best?

Sagamite:

Controlling? No, I am not. I am just very clear about decisions about my life (me and the wards under me). If it is not my life, I am not interested in controlling it as long as decisions does not negatively impact my life.

I will fail as a parent if I have a child that is a genius but lacks social skills because they grew up standing out as a sour thumb just like a 13 year old will stand out in university.

Let my son go to university and read hard and party hard like a normal child. A 13 year old going to a Frat party would be looked at like a child, and would never get any pu-nani.
If he chooses no social life [like SEFAGO and the rest of the dorks here] then let him.
And who said you cannot exceed with a social life.
It's called balance and control. If you can balance both, then why not.

You also have to understand that Chronological age is different from Developmental age. Children do not develop at the same age.
Your child might be 8, and be at a teenager developmental stage. . . . My advice is to let them exercise their brain.
Dont put a limit to what they can do just because you think they're not yet developed.

rotfl @ never get any punami grin You seriously want your child even at any age to join a frat/drink and party. Ekaabo o, baba omo Frat party tongue
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 2:02am On Mar 07, 2010
netotse:

imo i think this is not a case of what the child wants, but what the parents want. . .u want to tell me that if they now repeat, their parents wont flog the nonsense out of them?
Not always jare.
From high school, my mom never "forced" me to do anything, she trusted my decisions when it comes to my education.
The best you can do for a child is to NEVER LET HIM FORGET WHO HE IS AND WHERE HE COMES FROM.
From there, they know the steps to take. Infact, they'll understand that they have no other choice BUT to succeed.

Sagamite:

The ego is normal for a man on my intellectual and intelligence level.  cool [Rubs his faadan (shaven) head]
No comment grin

Sagamite:

You are not limiting their education by not rushing it. What are they going to learn at 14 that they can not learn at 17 and still be normal

When the child comes out without optimal ability to relate to others is when you will know they accelerated stages in education but simultaneously missed stages in personality development.
Why dont you let him decide and explore what the world has for him, education wise ni o.

Not every dorks cant relate to everyone. . . . take me for example grin grin grin I just DONT like everyone.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by InesQor(m): 2:19am On Mar 07, 2010
^^^ DORK alert!!!! grin cool
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 2:24am On Mar 07, 2010
InesQor:

^^^ DORK alert!!!! grin cool
hehehe, I'm a special case.
Not dorkish like SEFAGO and sjeezy cool grin
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 2:24am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Sagamite, Sagamite, Sagamite. How many times did I call you?

There's a different between enforcing your child to to way above his stage, but when he chooses to exceed above the normality of expectations, then I believe that it's totally up to him. And he can do that with your blessing and prayer.

If my child exceeds above the other kids in his class, begs me for an education within his [level], begs me to study hard, I will not say "No, since you already know what's being taught in class, go and watch T.V". If his test scores suggests that he can do more and better, if my child DECIDES to do more and better, then who am I to say no?

How many parents wish for a child that choose to exceed better than the best?

I have radical and unorthodox philosophical thoughts.

I want my child to be one of the best, not the best just like I like for myself.

Most of the people that are best at something are normally not balanced, from my observations.

I don't mind the rushing in youth, IF THE CHILD IS ASKING FOR IT, not being overly induced by his school or society but rather a strong innate will is the driver. After that, between finishing high school and 17, I would prefer he develops some real life skills like entrepreneurship or inventing or even starting a tutorial class to teach others his subject of expertise (and make money) than going to university at a juvenile age (that is just my personal maverickness).

Universities are not running away, what he will learn now he can learn in another 3 years, but his life can run away and they don't sell that in the market.

FL Gators:

If he chooses no social life [like SEFAGO and the rest of the dorks here] then let him.
And who said you cannot exceed with a social life.
It's called balance and control. If you can balance both, then why not.

Very rarely.

When I was in secondary school, the extremely young ones did not really cope as well as the normal aged kids. I really don't think they enjoyed it as much as the normal kids.

Shitting on themselves (it was boarding school), not understanding the political play, I can't recall one that had a female admirer, some were so quiet they went into their shell, one was mentally bullied by his mate that since he went to US he has never returned to Naija and then joined the US army to toughen up etc.

Those that tried to bully me because of my posh, mummy's boy looks had the beating of their lives because I be Bariga boy, no be Ikoyi boy.

FL Gators:

You also have to understand that Chronological age is different from Developmental age. Children do not develop at the same age.
Your child might be 8, and be at a teenager developmental stage. . . . My advice is to let them exercise their brain.
Dont put a limit to what they can do just because you think they're not yet developed.

That is rare and is not a correlation with educational prowess we are talking about.

FL Gators:

rotfl @ never get any punami grin You seriously want your child even at any age to join a frat/drink and party. Ekaabo o, baba omo Frat party tongue

I have never smoked, drank, gambled or taken drugs in my life. Despite being in places where it is being done rabidly and mixing with people that do one of these at a stage in my life starting from secondary school, and me being pressured to join in (but I am not a follower, I am a leader). I will party with ANYBODY even if they are doing things I would not do. I am too cool to take up bad habits to prove to others I am cool and one of the boys. So I will not expect my child to do any of those things too.

But to pick babe, my son must to as long as he is focused on his education and development, has his head screwed on and over 18. I will give him condoms and masterclass in getting the milkshake.  grin Ko sha ina sidi awon omo yen (make he fire the chics arses).

FL Gators:

Why dont you let him decide and explore what the world has for him, education wise ni o.

I don't believe in letting 13 year olds explore the world and decide, that is oyinbo crap that I see failing daily in the UK. My scope of understanding would be way beyond his, especially based on my interest in personality profiles. Although I will like to hear their opinions though and show I am listening on areas that are not critical mistakes.

They can explore after they are 18 and then learn. This is an age I will not feel guilty at if I need to kick them out of my house and let them face the consequences of their actions.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by MUNEER2(m): 2:26am On Mar 07, 2010
Fantastic, they are real prodigies. . .
I just hope they won't end up like Micheal Jackson lipsrsealed
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 2:33am On Mar 07, 2010
Sagamite, you make very good points.

I'm tired of arguing jor grin

I just hope you dont inhibit your children when it comes to education.

And when I meant, let your children explore the world before them, I do not mean you leave them totally in a journey by themselves.
And only at/or above their education expectation. You let them climb, but you do not let them fall. Dont tell them that they SHOULD NOT climb fast because their classmates are climbing at a steady pace.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Sagamite(m): 2:37am On Mar 07, 2010
My point is don't climb too fast when it really is of no benefit and can be detrimental to your hands and legs, not don't climb fast.

A child in university at 14 is climbing way too fast. I was buying valentine cards for Modupe at that age and playing football in the afternoon.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 2:40am On Mar 07, 2010
Sagamite:

My point is don't climb too fast when it really is of no benefit and can be detrimental to your hands and legs, not don't climb fast.

A child in university at 14 is climbing way too fast. I was buying valentine cards for Modupe at that age and playing football in the afternoon.
I understand what you mean.

But if your child still says "daddy, let me do it, because I want to do it, because I know I can do it" after your steady pace advice. Please dont say "No"
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by netotse(m): 2:57am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

I understand what you mean.

But if your child still says "daddy, let me do it, because I want to do it, because I know I can do it" after your steady pace advice. Please dont say "No"
why should anyone say no? i will slap him and say God forbid tongue
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 3:00am On Mar 07, 2010
netotse:

grin grin grin No comment
I know you just dey joke, if not, I for don rain curses on you tongue
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by ceasyc(f): 3:15am On Mar 07, 2010
@post - peter n paula imafidon wow
imafidon sounds 9jan/benin (city)
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by chiogo(f): 5:02am On Mar 07, 2010
LOL @ Sagamite and Gators.

I'm gonna agree with Sagamite though. A 14-yr old in college, especially if living on campus is just plain awkward. For one, most of your classmates would have at least 4 years on you. No matter how mature one looks and acts, the age difference will still be very conspicuous. 16 or 17 is "okay" even though most college freshmen in America are 18.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by bawomolo(m): 5:30am On Mar 07, 2010
speaking from personal experience, i'd rather see my kids start school with their age peer.

it's much easier to assimilate that way. no need to rush.
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 5:31am On Mar 07, 2010
bawomolo:

speaking from personal experience, i'd rather see my kids start school with their age peer.

No need to worry, baba Seyi, our kid will have a social life
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 5:34am On Mar 07, 2010
ceasyc:

@post - peter n paula imafidon wow
imafidon sounds 9jan/benin (city)

Yeah that's an original benin name. I am very close to benin people so I know.

MUNEER2:

Fantastic, they are real prodigies. . .
I just hope they won't end up like Micheal Jackson lipsrsealed

Very good point- they most likely might end up like Michael jackson I say. If they spent all their lives doing advanced math instead of playing with lego its quite disturbing. However the end justifies the means. If theyare talented its better to cultivate their talent IMO than worry about any psychological effects it has on them hehe.

FL Gators:

hehehe, I'm a special case.
Not dorkish like SEFAGO and sjeezy cool grin

Na ur husband u dey call dork?  kiss kiss kiss  I really doubt I am much of a dork, maybe when I was a bit younger, now I just like to party.
Anyways I am actually in Florida and I am smiling at every hot black girl saying "ba wo ni"  in the hope that I run into you.

netotse:

As funny as it sounds, I grew up in a home where everyone of us had to study what our dad told us to. My dad wanted two doctors- since he was a doctor- as well as a lawyer and an accountant. After forcing my sister to do law, he tried to do that Poo for me. Then I started off as premed and consciously screwed up the classes so that I would have no chance of being a doctor so that I could end up doing what I wanted. My younger brother who was also forced to do medicine simultaneously got Cs in premed classes and then dropped out ending up in his desired major.

PS: Did you get my email?
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 5:35am On Mar 07, 2010
Plz, you're not my husband. Olorun maje.
You see me trying to toast bawomolo and you're making such a claim?

You're in FL for real? Which part? cheesy
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 5:38am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Plz, you're not my husband. Olorun maje.
You see me trying to toast bawomolo and you're making such a claim?

You're in FL for real? Which part? cheesy

I actually went past gainesville, I am in dade city though I will be leaving for Georgia on monday.

You are just using bawomolo to make me jealous not working gal
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by Nobody: 5:40am On Mar 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

I actually went past gainesville, I am in dade city though I will be leaving for Georgia on monday
Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Dade? Never heard of Dade city.

Ok dude, South, North, East. . . . undecided

Saying "bawo ni" abi? What an excuse angry
Re: Wonder Twins Head For High School Aged Nine by SEFAGO(m): 5:47am On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Dade? Never heard of Dade city.

Ok dude, South, North, East. . . . undecided

Saying "bawo ni" abi? What an excuse angry

Yeah my toasting skills are blunt right now. Usually I always stare at a girl in a creepy way and then wink at her. Changing tactics now.

Central-east florida- thats what my friend said lol. Its also a podunk part of florida u probably dont know where it is. Man I just dey follow, I have been to 4 states today, my head hurts lol.

bawomolo:

Whats really the difference between 16 or 18 as long as you finish the whole of high school. An outgoing person would remain the same out going person lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

RE: Fed. Varsities May Not Benefit From N10 Billion ‘universities Solar Project’ / Photo: Demonic Looking Beast Killed In Madonna University / Auchi Poly Students Protest Over Strike, Bring Vehicular Movement To A Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.