Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,969 members, 7,931,366 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 12:11 AM

I Just Cut The Cord With My Father - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Just Cut The Cord With My Father (39698 Views)

Advise For A Woman Whose Husband Is Suffering From A Spinal Cord Injury / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! / I Found My Father After 24 Years, But... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Zeze06(m): 4:09pm On Sep 18, 2017
Timbuktuo:

1. But they can demand from their children to recite the number of times they go to church in a given year, right Mr. Adult?

2. How can you say an adult asking refusing to answer a ridiculous question is "shoving a contrary opinion down his parent's throat?" You should reread the opening post so that you have an idea what you're arguing about.

3. An adult is an adult and should be treated as one. What if the OP has become an atheist, his father would travel to America and force him to attend church?

4. Lol. Nice cop out.

When My mum calls me sometimes close to bed time, she always asks "hope you pray before you sleep" and even when I don't, I still tell her "yes mummy".... Doesn't make me less a man

Adults always disagree but doesn't mean should disrespect one's parent, the relationship between parents and children is not a joke, shouldn't be treated like a joke either...

Why would you refuse to answer your dad a honest question? People just take " exposure western liberty " negatively...

You don't have to "fight" to be a "man"
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by imma2(m): 4:15pm On Sep 18, 2017
moneyspeaking:
you children of now adays, parent will struggle so much on you. is this a good way to pay him back?
You would ve been happy if he asked you if you when last you worship satan?

think:
many people wish they still have parents but are here asking if you are over reacting?

have you ever noticed the reaction and mood of that your friend without father on the fathers day?

abegiiiii, cut all communication and stop the financial support too.... mthcw cry cry cry cry

We know your type; 10 cows for burial.
Simple question for you.

Did he force his Dad to bring him into this world? Stop acting like a demented she-ram.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by gabe: 4:18pm On Sep 18, 2017
OP listen to ur father. He doesn't want u to be an atheist like me...
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Kereokwu(f): 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2017
Life sometimes is not fair, some would do anything to have a dad and for some, a dad who cares about their spiritual well being would mean the would to them. Well someone has that but feels bothered, LIFE OH LIFE.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by guyla: 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2017
ZACHIE:
That's the exact thought of a thankless child.
Clap for yourself.
Cut him off, declare him a persona non grata. Spit on his name.
Rubbish father that is so pokenoseous!!!

Ungrateful fool.
One day you will look for tears. There will be none.

Not being able to reach you might kill him then and only then will you realize what you have done

and you won't be able to take back the hand of time
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Timbuktuo: 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2017
Zeze06:

When My mum calls me sometimes close to bed time, she always asks "hope you pray before you sleep" and even when I don't, I still tell her "yes mummy".... Doesn't make me less a man

Adults always disagree but doesn't mean should disrespect one's parent, the relationship between parents and children is not a joke, shouldn't be treated like a joke either...

Why would you refuse to answer your dad a honest question? People just take " exposure western liberty " negatively...

You don't have to "fight" to be a "man"

Alright, sir.

Thanks for your time
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Awoo88: 4:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
Op u miss am!!!! If your nagging you from far away Nigeria is a problem you are not spiritual at all. Most probably at middle stage of backsliding
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Mrflyguy: 4:42pm On Sep 18, 2017
Because of this issue ? holy slap fall on you
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by moneyspeaking: 4:44pm On Sep 18, 2017
imma2:
Simple question for you.

Did he force his Dad to bring him into this world? Stop acting like a demented she-ram.

Keep quite what do you know!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by GhanaMustGoo: 4:45pm On Sep 18, 2017
I just wish my pa had lived say 2 years longer
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 4:46pm On Sep 18, 2017
your dad is equal to boko haram... always trying to force their doctrine down to your throat... Op you didn't start early, a times its good show our parents that we are equal hard knot to crack... my parents gave me my freedom after I protests heavily & scattered everything in the house, its every parents dream and wish to cow their children around, call the old man and apologize , I'm stubborn but I'm also good in saying I'm sorry please forgive

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by TheEminentLaity: 4:50pm On Sep 18, 2017
Religion only good for bringing in divisions between blood relatives, against one of the most basic primal tendencies. We truly should learn from animals but trust Jesus on what he has to say:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household.
Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;
(Matt 10:34-37)

Yes Lord, as you said it so it is happening cheesy grin
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by tintingz(m): 4:53pm On Sep 18, 2017
missjane:
OP I wish I had a father like yours. You are blessed. I would give anything to be in your shoes. My father is a deeply occultic man and you can imagine the state of affairs in my family. I have prayed tirelessly for his repentance but it seems it's nothing is happening.. Pls every day u kneel to pray, thank God first that you have a father who is going to any lenght to make sure you make Heaven n bond with Jesus whether he is going about it the right way or not.
What kind of occultic is your father into? Is he a traditional man, if he's a traditional man, what is wrong with his practice?

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by nonut: 4:54pm On Sep 18, 2017
Zeze06:
cry

I understand this feeling... embarassed, if your father is old, please be careful not to hurt him, just follow him gently, you can even lie sometimes, just so you don't break his heart...

Elderly people sometimes do take things a little too seriously..
I would give anything to have my dad here to ask me any kind of questions in this world...
Modafocker, you had to chip in the last line. grin

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by adajoe555: 4:55pm On Sep 18, 2017
This reminds me of chimamanda

PURPLE HIBISCUS
Eugene and his son Jaja

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by BALLOSKI: 5:02pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I was born into Catholic faith and practice till I was 12 and I enjoyed it. My parent became deeper life member while we were living apart and now a pastor in that church. I re-united with them when I was 12 and since then I've been attending the church with them and still attend Catholic occasionally....I love the preaching from the founder of deeper life as he preaches the bitter truth but I believe most other young pastor see d church "doctrine" as commandment and so must be kept 100%.....the founder of the church addressed this issue several times but NO.

18 years on since we re-united, I'm a graduate, married and living abroad but my father still forcing his believe and doctrine on me. I considered myself spiritual but not so religious. I connect with my God easily but not a 3G church guy.

He made me and my siblings antisocial and introverted simply because he believed we shouldn't be involved in any social activities even sports. I still remember being beaten for playing soccer, he believes we would be influenced badly. Watching TV was a crime especially movies.

Fast forward to yesterday he rang my wife to check on us but the first question he asked was if we attend to church. I told him it's been raining and temperature was really low....then he started lamenting asking if I won't go to work if it wasn't Sunday,complaining about the country where I can't worship God...then to get me more exasperated he asked and insisted I tell him how many time I've been to church lately and how many times I've read d bible....I told him we've been attending but he insisted on a number.

This got me so mad that I stood up for myself under a heavy breathe as I do not want to disrespect him or hangup on him.I told him I do not appreciate being asked questions like a 10 yrs old boy and at my age I should know how to live my life and what's best for me.....he got angry and said goodbye and I guess he was still on d phone but I didn't know...I just hang up.....Now I've block him from reaching me ... planning to change my numbers.....but not any financial support. Only cutting all communication with him but not with my siblings as they mean more to me and I wanna see them through as much as God help me...

Please is this not an over reaction because I loved him as he's a very responsible man who puts the family first and strived to make us who we are. But we do not av a close relationship because of his believe even though he's been forcing it.
I once had my father asking me to initiate in one religious activity and I was not interested in it. But he said something that made me to reconsider my stance then. He said , "you children will kill me by not always following his instructions on religious issues". And I said, "baba, I don't want you to die and people would say we killed our father". This is why I succumbed then. African parents are very sensitive about the choice their children make about their spiritual life; so don't pull it too hard on your dad. Just obey him , even if it means lying just to please him.

If he's not here, you'll crave for that which he's doing that you so despise now. Follow him until he departs; appreciate him while he's here or you'll regret ever making him sad while he's here.

Call him and talk to him. I wanna hear from you again.

I wish my dad was here to give this kind of problem.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by linearity: 5:04pm On Sep 18, 2017
I will advice that you unblock his number and no need to change your number.

By asserting your independence, you have lay down a mile marker and your father now know it. The marker might not be the boundary yet, but your father know that, you are setting a limite, he might test marker again with those lines of question, try to maintain your grounds and he will gradually respect the boundary.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by imma2(m): 5:05pm On Sep 18, 2017
moneyspeaking:

Keep quite what do you know!
I don't know anything but don't you think "quite" should be "quiet"?

Let me remind you incase you have forgotten. I don't know anything.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by sellydion: 5:06pm On Sep 18, 2017
Listen my brother. You have the best of Fathers. Treat Him with all gentleness and love. He could be wrong but he meant well. Both for your earthly life and eternity. You are matured, use God's wisdom to deal with HIM. You can not make somebody,s father to be yours.

Think maturely and request for God,s wisdom to move along with HIM.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Zeze06(m): 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2017
cheesy grin

A lot of people can't relate...

nonut:

Modafocker, you had to chip in the last line. grin
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Samabu07(m): 5:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I was born into Catholic faith and practice till I was 12 and I enjoyed it. My parent became deeper life member while we were living apart and now a pastor in that church. I re-united with them when I was 12 and since then I've been attending the church with them and still attend Catholic occasionally....I love the preaching from the founder of deeper life as he preaches the bitter truth but I believe most other young pastor see d church "doctrine" as commandment and so must be kept 100%.....the founder of the church addressed this issue several times but NO.

18 years on since we re-united, I'm a graduate, married and living abroad but my father still forcing his believe and doctrine on me. I considered myself spiritual but not so religious. I connect with my God easily but not a 3G church guy.

He made me and my siblings antisocial and introverted simply because he believed we shouldn't be involved in any social activities even sports. I still remember being beaten for playing soccer, he believes we would be influenced badly. Watching TV was a crime especially movies.

Fast forward to yesterday he rang my wife to check on us but the first question he asked was if we attend to church. I told him it's been raining and temperature was really low....then he started lamenting asking if I won't go to work if it wasn't Sunday,complaining about the country where I can't worship God...then to get me more exasperated he asked and insisted I tell him how many time I've been to church lately and how many times I've read d bible....I told him we've been attending but he insisted on a number.

This got me so mad that I stood up for myself under a heavy breathe as I do not want to disrespect him or hangup on him.I told him I do not appreciate being asked questions like a 10 yrs old boy and at my age I should know how to live my life and what's best for me.....he got angry and said goodbye and I guess he was still on d phone but I didn't know...I just hang up.....Now I've block him from reaching me ... planning to change my numbers.....but not any financial support. Only cutting all communication with him but not with my siblings as they mean more to me and I wanna see them through as much as God help me...

Please is this not an over reaction because I loved him as he's a very responsible man who puts the family first and strived to make us who we are. But we do not av a close relationship because of his believe even though he's been forcing it.
I lost my dad six days ago, if I could keep him for a little while mehn I would appreciate it but then I advise you bear with him. Continue to make him see reasons with you without hurting any body's feelings.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Yoshy: 5:15pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

Dear OP, if making sure I go to church or serve God was my fathers only crime, I would never, I repeat NEVER! Have a reason to make him sigh. Appreciate what you have, no matter how intruding he may appear to be, he means well, follow him with wisdom.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by adslipps: 5:24pm On Sep 18, 2017
Very simple...

Dad: did u go to church today?

Son: yes I did.

Case closed.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Scetrocom: 5:59pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

You may have your point, but if you are truly spiritual and you know the world of God, I think you should know treating Your Own father like that is ungodly and unscriptural. Your father might look like extremist but all he's trying to do his to ensure you don't lose focus of heaven which is the main reason of all our spiritual activities. You should have tolerated him no matter the level of the so called provocation. He maybe wrong in trying to impose his own brand of faith on you, but not wrong in telling you that rain/cold shouldn't stop you from attending church since it doesn't stop you from going to work on working days.
Please, call your father and mend fence with him
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Maruchi203(m): 6:07pm On Sep 18, 2017
MADUBI:
shocked

You cut cord because of this small issue? O boy go and fix that cord before I send you e-slap.
Lol... 4g spectranet e-slap with 200,000 watts, 38.9v, 130kg

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by bfmconcepts: 6:08pm On Sep 18, 2017
chii8:
My dear,op,thread jeje oo, most nigerian papa are like that ooo,travelled to see my father with my kids, this long vac, on the first night,I did midnight prayer,in the following morning my father rebuked me for not praying for one hour (in my mind, I was like shey this man dey count how many hours wey I take dey pray ni) throughput my stay with them, praying became difficult cos I will be feeling that someone is somewhere counting the number of hours I used in praying.

@OP this is a very wise advice. You need to be very careful so that you will not incur the wrath of God. You have made your point, stand your ground and they will know you for it. Cutting communication link with your father is immature, a sign of low courage. Open up the communication line and keep dealing with the issue. What binds you as a family is more than religion. He is the first god you knew, he told you there is an Almighty God, please appreciate that. Moreover, what are you teaching your younger ones, what antecedent are you laying for your own children? KARMA is sacrosanct. May God help you, bless you and give you the grace to do the needful. It is difficult, but it is better. Shalom!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Maruchi203(m): 6:08pm On Sep 18, 2017
TheArchangel:
Call him you stubborn son. You are not even in Nigeria sef. Pity us wey dey here. My dad say make I come back before October 1 or else??.
You will be disfathered.. Lol
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by seundp(m): 6:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
pls be careful...don't cut cord with ur father... as far as he's your father he will always be right...u need to stil love him even if wen his getting on ur nerves..be wise....You won't pray your own child do DAT to u..And remember wat goes around com around ...Be wise.....I lost my dad last month and even tho we argue so much wen he was alive...he's irreplaceable... Rite now I wish my late dad can return to life even if its just for one more day.. God bless u bro
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Lugar14(m): 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2017
My friend you are right by standing up for your self but you know old men some time can be a pain in the ass. Next time he call just play along with him it will please him greatly that he has not failed in his responsibilities towards his children before God.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Gamusgamus: 6:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

Guy don't be deceived by the Devil, all your loving father wants from you is to be heavenly conscious , you have said it all that he is a pastor
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by remzor(m): 6:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
This op is still a boy. Wish I had a father to tell me that
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Mentcee(m): 6:32pm On Sep 18, 2017
Zeze06:
cry

I understand this feeling... embarassed, if your father is old, please be careful not to hurt him, just follow him gently, you can even lie sometimes, just so you don't break his heart...

Elderly people sometimes do take things a little too seriously..
I would give anything to have my dad here to ask me any kind of questions in this world...

May Jehovah bless you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Disadvantages Of Marrying A Man Who Can Cook / ‘Marry One, Marry All’ — Omosuwa Triplets Share Marriage Hopes / Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.