Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:34 AM

Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? (15419 Views)

Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? / Who Actually Built Lagos? / The Most Expensive House In Nigeria. Who Owns It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by AKMoney1(m): 12:11pm On Sep 18, 2017
Narldon:

Sometimes. . .

I wonder if My Ancestors don't feel ashamed when they see other Ancestors give their own Descendants Lands in Banana Island, Lekki, Wuse, Maitamia cry

Is Dangote's Ancestors not their Mates? Or Does his own Ancestors have two heads?

Where are you from? We could be from the same village cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by Superuser(m): 12:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
An Act to Vest all Land compromised in the territory of each State (except land vested in the Federal government or its agencies) solely in the Governor of the State , who would hold such Land in trust for the people and would henceforth be responsible for allocation of land in all urban areas to individuals resident in the State and to organisations for residential, agriculture, commercial and other purposes while similar powers will with respect to non urban areas are conferred on Local Governments.(27th March 1978) Commencement.

29th March 1978

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by Superuser(m): 12:17pm On Sep 18, 2017
Thanks.
Another question here, who owns or have the rights to fish or make use of the sea/ocean within a geographical location?
chloride6:
According to the land use act of 1978, all lands belong to the Federal Government but the power to act over it is vested in the State government.

So all claims of onwership come from the State government. In Lagos, I don't know if this is applicable elsewhere, lands for development are first gazzeted meaning they are published in Government records for public use. Although most lands already belong to certain families before the enactment of the act, they require a governor consent to claim legal ownership. There after you obtain a certificate of occupancy I think.

But I've read some where that you don't actually buy land, it's just rented out to you for 99 years.
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by Victornezzar: 12:22pm On Sep 18, 2017
Dongreat:

A harmless question was asked but all you could do is to bring in tribes to goad a tribe war. People like you are the most scoundrel set of people to ever walk this earth and it's insults to those of us looking to make this world peaceful.
You must either be a teen or a failed adult who blamed the majority for his/her failure and your only solution in life is to hide behind the dusty keyboard in your "face me I face you" squalor and spew hate for all to see how shameful you are to not only your family but the entire clan in large.
My advice is to go brush your teeth, take your bath and go hawk something to keep you busy instead of starting a hate war online.
Don't be among the '67' but try to contribute to this world so that in the end you won't kick the bucket frustrated and have your tombstone named "here lies a goat who achieved nothing in life and still nothing in death".
Dis 1 na smackdown
bros no mercy at all

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by chloride6: 12:26pm On Sep 18, 2017
Superuser:
Thanks.
Another question here, who owns or have the rights to fish or make use of the sea/ocean within a geographical location?

I don't have the answer to that but I believe the answer to that question may be related to the fact that every country has economic right up to 200 nautical miles from its shoreline. Also, I think States can exercise some rights over waters in their litoral zone which is defined as up to 12 nautical miles from the shoreline.

But take my answer with absolute levity. I may be dead wrong.

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by Syphonn(m): 12:31pm On Sep 18, 2017
Generating profits in businesses is one of the main aims of starting up any business enterprise. Making money as a business oriented person can sometimes be breath taking, as different strategies have to be followed to boost the business’ profits.
Small scale businesses are mostly carried out with the plan of expanding it if the profit margin grows high. Many of these petty businesses are carried out in a large scale form when many staffs are employed and the business is taken to a location where it can accommodate many customers.

READ MORE AT www.busygisting.com
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by etzmiezbee(f): 12:34pm On Sep 18, 2017
According to the land use act of 1978, land belong to governor of d state if d land is in urban area and chairman local government if it is in d rural area

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:51pm On Sep 18, 2017
go and ask obasanjo or better still read the land use act of 1976. . .All land in Nigeria belongs to the federal government!
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by silasweb(m): 2:32pm On Sep 18, 2017
Idrismusty97:
So do you own a land?
Why do you ask?
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by KamsyU: 3:18pm On Sep 18, 2017
I think the government should compensate the people who they snatch or seize land from.
I mean it's just wrong to leave them hanging on to nothing.
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 18, 2017
Imperialist white racist catfish employed to heat up tribal sentiments.
Registered 3 days and already 130 posts.
devindevin2000:
Ask the developers...Igbos. They own most land in Nigeria, so they know a lot about it.

DANites are duty bound to
a) Make posts to challenge tribal bigotry,

b) Make posts to challenge agitation to breakup Nigeria,

c) Support other DANite on threads by quoting, liking and sharing sharing their posts.

d) Identify new moniker to be added to members list

e) Follow all listed Danites by clicking "follow" link on their profile page. You get to profile page by clicking on a DANite's moniker or go to url: Nairaland.com/<moniker>

f) Avoid quoting tribalists, secessionists and debating

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
illuminated93, Addy003, Ikhilor, GQman, neocortex, TheHistorian, Shaytun, sirjerry, WORDWORLD, amanda2013, wetinconsignme, freshest4live, ameri9ja, Okoroawusa, onward4life, Almaheed, genbuhari, Axeman2, lonelydora, LoveMachine, darkckUSA, mrdashing10, henitan24, amah91, obaamah, ediss, maximunimpact, maxiflexy, reel14, Clean2016, isalegan2, ilekokonit, xtianh, drabeey, jumper524, mrmystro, ahmed99, royaluc, dongrea, caseless winterfell007, afobear, quotasystem, nabiz, deleyi20, mujtahida, stagger, Horllamideh, jnrremedy, litmus, shervydman, ikio, iykmann, limitless777, jakd, juneoctober, hati13, panafrican, musicwriter, naijatalktown, itsmrike, enice, dokunbam, fiftynaira, goldbim, Frankyboy1, 9jaDoc, JaffyJoe, castiello, kitaatita, VillageWinch, GhanaMustGoo, oz4real83, rafsonnggmail, Kingspin, Chukazu, Juliearth, asunaobi, dabiton, mesoprogress
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Please copy this block of text and save it on your PC and then paste it to bottom of your posts.

To join our email list send email wetinconsignme@asia.com.

If you want to become a Danite, indicate your interest and you would be added to list by an active established member.

1 Like

Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by laborious(m): 10:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
I spent the first bulk money I ever made in my life to purchase a piece of land 2015, last week my neighbors called me that one idiotic ass eater came to claiming the land belongs to him, threatening to bulldoze the foundation I have laid... I just look the guy like diz ehn.....tell am say if he wan dance python enter bush make him come near my site again..olobriburuku people..
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by ShoProperties(m): 12:02am On Sep 19, 2017
Bh
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by adewarley099(m): 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nice write up
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by adewarley099(m): 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2017
Nice write up ..
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by ShoProperties(m): 9:55pm On Sep 19, 2017
sad
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by ShoProperties(m): 4:20am On Sep 28, 2017
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by ShoProperties(m): 1:39am On Oct 03, 2017
d
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by ShoProperties(m): 6:27pm On Oct 23, 2017
Nn
Re: Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? by ShoProperties(m): 12:42am On Jul 25, 2018
G

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whole House Audio System + Cctv Installations For A Nairalander / Lekki Gardens Welfare Team Re-visit Survivors Of Collapsed Building (photos) / Construction Of A Four Bedroom Duplex. Ipaja, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.