Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,173 members, 7,880,659 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:17 AM

Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly (766 Views)

Man Takes Selfie With Iara Oshiomhole..sings Her Praises / APC Rejects Benue South Rerun Result, Protest To INEC Office (photos) / Photo: Amaechi Takes His Campaign The Street After He Was Attacked At Obia Kpor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by ichommy(m): 1:07pm On Mar 03, 2010
Early yesterday morning, Joseph Danley Obiechie, dressed in milk suit and chocolate shirt filled the trunk of his grey Hummer jeep with bottles of water and two protest placards and drove off from his Maitama office to the National Assembly complex at the Three Arms Zone.

At the Assembly’s major entrance on Hospital Street, he parked his vehicle off the road, took off his placards which were connected with strings to form a vest and headed for the security check point at the entrance.

After what seemed like a clearance, he then wore his vest of placards and began a solitary protest that lasted for the rest of the day at a popular spot for protesters in front of the Assembly.

One of the placards, which covered his front, read, “We Can See Jonathan.” This was his protest point. Mr. Joseph wanted everybody to read his message, especially the lawmakers entering the National Assembly. Almost everybody entering the National Assembly through that entrance could notice him and the short message he wore on his dress.

His argument is that since it is Goodluck Jonathan that Nigerians can see, the lawmakers should start thinking in the direction of working fully with the Acting President as the substantial president “so that we can move forward. For how long can we stand still and be talking about President Yar’Adua that we cannot see?” he asked. “So let’s deal with the Jonathan we can see and grow Nigeria.” He said the Acting President should assert his powers as a President and order “Turai (Mrs Yar’Adua) or whoever is holding the president hostage to let Nigerians see him or be arrested. If he (Yar’Adua) is seen and he cannot talk and move, he should be declared incapacitated and then impeached,” Mr. Joseph added.

He said part of his message was to Mrs Yar’Adua, who is believed to have masterminded a plot to keep her husband’s actual health condition secret from Nigerians. “President Yar’Adua is not the personal property of Turai. He is also not the personal property of Katsina State, President Yar’Adua’s state of origin. He is the president of Nigeria and now the property of all Nigerians; so they should let us see him. Anybody can be sick, we are not mocking him but it is affecting us all.” Mr. Joseph, 45, has lived in the United States since 1989 as a business man selling Fax and Satellite machines. However, after his training as a guidance counsellor, which he referred to as “my calling” he made his trip back to Nigeria in 2009.

When Mr. Joseph came back from US last year, he was disappointed at the lack of progress.

“The Nigeria I saw when I came back was not the country I left 20 years ago.” Mr. Joseph lamented. He grew up in Kano, Nigeria’s most populous northern state.

Thereafter, he quit business and set up a Foundation for Correction of Moral Decadence in Nigeria.

Killing docility

He said the major factor holding Nigeria back is the docility of Nigerians.

“Docility is what is killing us in Nigeria.” Mr. Joseph said. “The solution is to start daring for one another.” This is his second solitary protest in Nigeria. The first was against former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s involvement in the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) scam.

“I am disappointed that Ndidi Elumelu’s report was swept under the carpet but that will not stop me.” Mr. Joseph said.

Although he was not happy with the outcome of his first shot at solitary protest, he said he will continue to dare for Nigeria.

Mr. Joseph said he decided to adopt solitary protesting over crowd protest because it is more peaceful and powerful. “I don’t want anybody to die; if anybody has to Nigeria, let it be me.” His protest ran into late afternoon, despite the sweltering temperature of about 48 °C.

“That is the sacrifice for the country. I am ready to die for every Nigerian.” He said.

He therefore appealed to religious leaders, especially pastors, to come out of their pulpits to save Nigeria from degeneration. He said it was wrong for pastors to keep collecting money from their faithful while they sit back and watch them wallow in poverty.

“All men of God should come out. If our prayers are still working, why are we still in this rudimentary state in Nigeria? Let us take a step; we have prayed enough!”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5534877-146/man_takes_his_protest_to_the.csp
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by violent(m): 1:20pm On Mar 03, 2010
. . . . there might be hope for the country afterall
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by jpilata(m): 1:38pm On Mar 03, 2010
To God, I love great men like this.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 03, 2010
what a nonsense waste of space
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 2:07pm On Mar 03, 2010
babaearly:

I'm amazed at your contribution!
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by vigasimple(m): 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2010
babaearly:

I think you are part and one of the reason nigeria is not progressing.

Somebody doing something we should all be doing and all you spit is garbage. Find something useful to do with your life to impact your future and the future of your generation and the generatin beyond.

To Mr Joseph, I say well done. To Dora Akunyili, I salute your courage. Nigeria is one big scam by PDP, no wonder there is 419 everywhere because they are the master419club.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by chosen04(f): 2:22pm On Mar 03, 2010
^^^^And who told him his protest will bring any change?

The man has no massage. 'We can see Joe' is no protest point at all.

ichommy:

Early yesterday morning, Joseph Danley Obiechie, dressed in milk suit and chocolate shirt filled the trunk of his grey Hummer jeep with bottles of water and two protest placards and drove off from his Maitama office to the National Assembly complex at the Three Arms Zone.

Milk suit and chocolate shirt,
Grey Hummer Jeep filled,
Bottles of Bottled ice chilled water,
2 Placards.

^^^^Obviously, this man is not protesting but advertising his wealth and life style.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Godalone(m): 3:06pm On Mar 03, 2010
babaearly:

You must be out of your mind,it seems you are one of them.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 3:20pm On Mar 03, 2010
Nice
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by SkyBlue1: 3:21pm On Mar 03, 2010
chosen04:

The man has no massage. 'We can see Joe'  is no protest point at all.

Grey Hummer Jeep filled,
2 Placards.

^^^^Obviously, this man is not protesting but advertising his wealth and life style.

A common excuse used by many Nigerians (if not most) to sit down and do absolutely nothing, while complaining about how bad things are and ofcourse indulging themselves in "enlightened and intelligent" rants on what they think are "the problems with Nigeria". Talk is cheap. You think he could have had a better message? Why not go there and deliver it yourself like he did? Honestly. . . . . . Nigeria.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Mar 03, 2010
chosen04:

The man has no massage. 'We can see Joe' is no protest point at all.

Grey Hummer Jeep filled,
2 Placards.

The changes dont have to be immediate . . . .He has created some kinda awareness and that is all that counts.
he has made people see what cld be done and i am sure, many will join soon
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by SkyBlue1: 3:33pm On Mar 03, 2010
Fhemmmy:

The changes dont have to be immediate . . . .He has created some kinda awareness and that is all that counts.
he has made people see what cld be done and i am sure, many will join soon

We are talking about Nigeria, right? For your sake, do not hold your breath. On quite a few occassions I have thrown out challenges on this forum on how we can actually participate in being part of the solution instead of just talking. The number of excuses like "what difference would it make" you hear is quite amusing. Last week or so, I posted links to members which contained contact details of house or rep members and senators so that people who "debate" on this section with such conviction, can actually act by doing something very simple, contacting your reps (something I actually did myself). Simple as that. Imagine if we all did it. Some guy takes things a step further and protests on his own, and some people are castigating?

The issue I higlighted in bold shows search for instant and quick gratification. It seems people won't even consider (talk less of doing), anything unless they are 190% sure it will "make a difference", or unless everyone also does it (so no one ends up doing it). Another way of seeing it is doing all you can because your convictions are actually worth something so that you can at least say you have tried, not because you are sure it will "make a difference" or because it would be popular or liked. This man has shown more courage than many who "contribute" to discussions.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Mar 03, 2010
Sky Blue:

We are talking about Nigeria, right? For your sake, do not hold your breath. On quite a few occassions I have thrown out challenges on this forum on how we can actually participate in being part of the solution instead of just talking. The number of excuses like "what difference would it make" you hear is quite amusing. Last week or so, I posted links to members which contained contact details of house or rep members and senators so that people who "debate" on this section with such conviction, can actually act by doing something very simple, contacting your reps (something I actually did myself). Simple as that. Imagine if we all did it. Some guy takes things a step further and protests on his own, and some people are castigating?

The issue I higlighted in bold shows search for instant and quick gratification. It seems people won't even consider (talk less of doing), anything unless they are 190% sure it will "make a difference", or unless everyone also does it (so no one ends up doing it). Another way of seeing it is doing all you can because your convictions are actually worth something so that you can at least say you have tried, not because you are sure it will "make a difference" or because it would be popular or liked. This man has shown more courage than many who "contribute" to discussions.

Yes, we are talking about Nigeria.
Remember when people were asking for Yaradua to speak to them? all the silent protest of marching and all that started with one group and later, many others were done afterwards.
Nigerians are getting tired and willing to leave their comfort zone.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by YD(m): 4:04pm On Mar 03, 2010
it's obvious from some people's responses that they do not even have faith in moving the country forward, let putting in some efforts. i have been opportuned to spearhead an anti-corruption crusade. after about a year's crusade, i realised the ordinary nigeria does not even believe in this struggle for a better nigeria.some are so pessimistic that you just shake your head and move on.somebody even said he's just showing off wealth?
i salute men like this. it may not be enough, but its a good starting point.
in your own little space wherever you find yourself, start a revolution!
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 4:06pm On Mar 03, 2010
^^^ True Dat . . . .but we will get there
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Beaf: 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2010
With men like that there is a lot of hope. Highly encouraging.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by ichommy(m): 6:49pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

WORD wink
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by safeact(m): 7:36pm On Mar 03, 2010
All d pessimistic People in dis forum should be ban from henceforth fr6m making any input. How a gentle like Joe leave d comfort of his house to risk his life and what u could say is display of wealth! If he wants to show off,he knows where to do it better, so all d antagonistic here that can never see anything good in person should stop blabbing! He has stood out and distinguished himself from d crowd just as citizens of USA would do and as usa brought up. He has just sold ideas to many nigerians that u can single handedly do a peaceful protest by walking to ur state house of assembly or even any of d radio or television statiön to register ur grievances. Imagine when everyone start doing this, what will happen. I leave u to answer that. Joe is a hero!
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Mar 03, 2010
safeact:

All d pessimistic People in dis forum should be ban from henceforth fr6m making any input. How a gentle like Joe leave d comfort of his house to risk his life and what u could say is display of wealth! If he wants to show off,he knows where to do it better, so all d antagonistic here that can never see anything good in person should stop blabbing! He has stood out and distinguished himself from d crowd just as citizens of USA would do and as usa brought up. He has just sold ideas to many nigerians that u can single handedly do a peaceful protest by walking to your state house of assembly or even any of d radio or television statiön to register your grievances. Imagine when everyone start doing this, what will happen. I leave u to answer that. Joe is a hero!
He is a great person . . . .but banning people that dont agree with others will go against what democracy is about.
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Onlytruth(m): 7:47pm On Mar 03, 2010
Poor Joe! If only Nigeria is worth dying for now . . cry
There was a time Nigeria was worth dying for, but these days I'm not so sure undecided. However, I think Joe is making history. If they don't kill him soon, other Nigerians will join him and the movement will be unstoppable.
Seconded, Joe is a hero. cool
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

violent:

. . . .  there might be hope for the country afterall
j.pilata:

To God, I love great men like this.
most people just either want God to come and give us the change we wanted.i dont blame their short-sightedness anyways you guy made my day.keep it up
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by violent(m): 10:07pm On Mar 03, 2010
babaearly:

dimwit! angry
Re: Man Takes His Protest To The National Assembly by 006(m): 10:24pm On Mar 03, 2010
Thank you Joe, you're my hero!

(1) (Reply)

2011: Pdp Governors Move To Checkmate Jonathan / American Plans To Wage War On Yemen , Nigeria And Venezuela . / I Want To Be Nigeria’s Next President,to Listen To Masses - Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.