Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,863 members, 7,906,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 07:00 AM

Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O (10846 Views)

Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Is Relocating To Namibia Worth It As A Nigerian? / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Sagamite(m): 6:33pm On May 24, 2010
henry101:

What I find amusing is that my cousins(two) are presently in the Nigeria. (17 & 15years old)
The eldest is presently writing his SSCE after which He would come to Los Angeles for his degree.
They have lived all their lives in Los Angeles and are those kids u call "Oyinbo"
The funny aspect is that their parent prefered Lagos but they refused living in Lagos and headed to the east, (their home town) where they attend a boarding school.
They speak the igbo language and pidgin English and are very much aquitanted with the tradition (all this within two years) and are very comfortable with their lives. They ve learnt the Nigerian meaning of management,  grin.
Their dad is just the middle-class family man and their mom has been the happiest mom ever since the transformation.
Rmbr they have never set their foot in Naija since they were kids.
And they have been doing great for two years and half.
They come and go back after summer vacations,
The younger ones here are getting ready for same treatment too, lol.

That ia the way it should be done. Sounds like music to my ears.  cheesy

tpia.:

i thought it's been proved time and time again that children raised abroad can be just as Nigerian as the ones at home, if their parents want it that way.

The only difference is they (naija kids abroad) have electricity, running water, good roads and well paying blue collar jobs while they're waiting for their big break. Aside from all that, they're regular Nigerians.

Absolutely not!!!

It is not only the parents that raise a child, it is lot of factors embedded in society.

I dare say, in the West, the TV raises your child more than you do. P Diddy is the real P Daddy figure.

I can tell a child raised in Naija from one raised in the UK, easily. For example, most of the ones in the UK find it had to adjust to things not going their way and definitely throw a tantrum as they are indoctrinated that they should almost always to get what they want or for it to be provided to them otherwise "the system is a failure". It is even very evident when contrasting dating a Naija raised girl to a UK raised Naija girl, their reaction to not having their way.

African kids are far more better behaved. It is even evident when I was watching this UK programme of WAGs in South Africa. The WAGs kept on exclaming how well behaved the SA kids were because they are not used to that in UK. We are talking about mostly toddlers and U-5s in this programme o. Talkless of pubescents and teenagers.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by DisGuy: 11:06pm On May 24, 2010
Sagamite:

That ia the way it should be done. Sounds like music to my ears.  cheesy

Absolutely not!!!

It is not only the parents that raise a child, it is lot of factors embedded in society.

I dare say, in the West, the TV raises your child more than you do. P Diddy is the real P Daddy figure.

I can tell a child raised in Naija from one raised in the UK, easily. For example, most of the ones in the UK find it had to adjust to things not going their way and definitely throw a tantrum as they are indoctrinated that they should almost always to get what they want or for it to be provided to them otherwise "the system is a failure". It is even very evident when contrasting dating a Naija raised girl to a UK raised Naija girl, their reaction to not having their way.

African kids are far more better behaved. It is even evident when I was watching this UK programme of WAGs in South Africa. The WAGs kept on exclaming how well behaved the SA kids were because they are not used to that in UK. We are talking about mostly toddlers and U-5s in this programme o. Talkless of pubescents and teenagers.

Why wont it sound like music to your ears? eh thats saving £500 a months on childcare!!
and the mother doing all the long hours at work or any owambe going!!!
but the children still attends snap crackel pop 'international' school sango-ota with a British headmaster grin
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Sagamite(m): 11:34pm On May 24, 2010
Dis Guy:

Why wont it sound like music to your ears? eh thats saving £500 a months on childcare!!
and the mother doing all the long hours at work or any owambe going!!!
but the children still attends snap crackel pop 'international' school sango-ota with a British headmaster grin

The boys were sent to the East na. Where they learnt their mother tongue and saw the toughness of life so they don't take anything for granted. They did not go to some posh school in Lagos. Most ghetto UK schools are better that 99.9% of the good public schools in Nigeria, yet the people moan and use it as excuse to fail/misbehave.

My A-level school was one of the ghetto ones, but my groundings in Nigeria ensured I appreciated I was in an environment that offered me more practicals than just titration in 6 years, so I did what I had to do without moaning.

The fact is that the western system offers you far more education wise to align you for success but life is more about money. I will focus so much on my kids mentality and philosophy about life as well.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Ndipe(m): 12:33am On Jan 31, 2016
It's true, school fees back home are a drawback, cos what's gonna happen in case of a layoff, how will you pay your children's school fees? One has to think twice before relocating.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Is The Best Place To Study and work In Europe? / ‘abuja-kaduna Train Service Generates N100m Monthly’ / FG To Receive 802 Nigerian Returnees From Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.