Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,918 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:49 AM

I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (47511 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by SouthWestBlood(m): 1:35pm On Oct 08, 2017
Ekennovative:
It was not tithe that you paid bro. You merely gave your money to the poor.

Malachi 3:10 specified where tithe should be paid to and what percentage to pay. Anything short of that is an act of disobedience.

You'll receive the reward attached to giving and not to tithing. Obedience is better than to sacrifice.

Ok then, read the Bible verses highlighted below.

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by omhor(f): 1:36pm On Oct 08, 2017
Pastors in the house will not like this??
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by 400billionman: 1:36pm On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

But was I wrong to have given my 10percent to a beggar instead of to the alter?

Opinions please.

Sir, may I remind you a parable told by JESUS himself. Pls take his words more important than that of any other person.

Jesus spoke of a rich man and Lazarus. So many things we overlook are actually what matters to God.

The Bible said that the Rich man partied everyday and Lazarus his neighbor went hungry. The rich man died and went to Hell. Lazarus died and went to Heaven.

Nothing else was said of their lifestyles that warranted their final destinations. Pay attention to the bolded.

You are more indebted to the beggar you know than the one you don't know. God placed him as your neighbor for a reason.

You don't have to tell him that what you are giving him is your tithe. Your kindness does not also warrant him to start relying on you permanently either..

Tell am say nah free money wey enta your hand.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by mamachizzy(f): 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2017
read Deuteronomy 14 vs 22 down. I don't think after reading it u will still have doubts about what tithing means.
Am proud of u!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Tithing is convenantal, that Lord, I'm keeping my end of the bargain, it's a testament of God's goodness, it shows we stick to His plans and authority. It tells God i trust you, and i'm following the lead. It is done at each junction almost like a sacrifice to unlock the next thing, so yes Abraham tithed multiple times, and i don't wish to debate against anyone's beliefs my brother. Be to everyone according to their beliefs

If tithe is a covenant (the sort that Abraham and Jacob contracted with God), then, why do pastors emphasize it as though it were an obligation binding on anyone? Did anyone obligate Abraham to tithe? Did anyone obligate Jacob to tithe? Didn't they vow to tithe only if God first blessed them? Did they tithe before God blessed them? Was there any record of Abraham tithing out of his own properties?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 08, 2017
BluntBoy:

If tithe is a covenant (the sort that Abraham and Jacob contracted with God), then, why do pastors emphasize it as though it were an obligation binding on anyone? Did anyone obligate Abraham to tithe? Did anyone obligate Jacob to tithe? Didn't they vowed to tithe only if God first blessed them? Did they tithe before God blessed them? Was there any record of Abraham tithing out of his own properties?

I am not defending anyone, i'm a minister, by the way. And this is one area, i like to stay clear off. Please i can't answer you. I'm not intelligent enough. I'm sorry
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 08, 2017
Tithe is a law: Read Leveticus 27 : 30-34
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the
land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto
the LORD.
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he
shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even
of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be
holy unto the LORD.
He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither
shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and
the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.
These are the commandments, which the LORD
commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount
Sinai.

Please do not confuse tithing with giving to the poor. As Christians, we are to give to the poor and help them but your tithe should be kept aside for God, it should be brought into his house to propagate his word.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Tosin249(m): 1:43pm On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

Opinions please.

God said bring in ye ur tithe into the house of God so that there will be meat in the house of God not to beggar's.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Student125(m): 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2017
Eze2000:

Under certain certain circumstance it will not.

I once walked out from two different powerful churches you know. Synagogue is one. I tell you it is hard for God to reject a person but if he does you can never reach him again even if you cry blood.

Once, I saw God reject a woman crying for a male child. Get this ....she was rich, very rich but the prophecy she got the said a firm no and that she free to anywhere and try.

I will never forget that day and it was over 20 years ago when I was a kid.

You may be more exposed now, increased physically but refuse to grow in logic reasoning, u still talk like that kid of more than 20yrs ago.
I heard the eye remain the same since birth, so also I believe some other part will remain the same.
If you read my first comment you quoted on this topic, I have said even some prof, elders believe and say trash sometimes.
If not, how will you know if God rejected someone, and did God call u to tell you this #I tell you it is hard for God to reject a person but if he does you can never reach him again even if you cry blood."
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 1:46pm On Oct 08, 2017
vikstandon:

Malachi 3:10 (Message Bible)
Thats not a Bible, thats an Online passage,Im talking King James version or anything b4 THAT
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by 2buffagain(m): 1:46pm On Oct 08, 2017
Good move OP.

And It is good when this is done for the distant poor, not a broke person that knows you (like your sharp-guy neighbour), because human beings are weird.

I really think that there is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, for the LAW OF THE SPIRIT is what we as christians must operate on, not religious dogma peddled by people (however well-intentioned) who stand to gain from the dogma that they are peddling.

We owe our resources to the Holy Spirit's guidance.
For some, that will be to give to their church building (It's nice to have lights and air conditioning in church)
For others, that is to give to the poor.

Your maximum blessing will come when you give to where the Holy Spirit has instructed you to give to.
That is why, in these times, being in tune with the Holy Spirit is more important than just blindly following what any human says about things.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Lsofdk(m): 1:47pm On Oct 08, 2017
makydebbie:
She's a fool aswear. grin
Lol… I just weak.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 1:47pm On Oct 08, 2017
Tosin249:
God said bring in ye ur tithe into the house of God so that there will be meat in the house of God not to beggar's.
what bible passage did yu get that frm?

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by jamalnation(m): 1:47pm On Oct 08, 2017
AFONAMARO:

He is over right. Read Deu 14:29
read numbers 18:20-32
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 1:49pm On Oct 08, 2017
Yureyes:
Tithe is a law: Read Leveticus 27 : 30-34
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the
land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto
the LORD.
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he
shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even
of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be
holy unto the LORD.
He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither
shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and
the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.
These are the commandments, which the LORD
commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount
Sinai.

Please do not confuse tithing with giving to the poor. As Christians, we are to give to the poor and help them but your tithe should be kept aside for God, it should be brought into his house to propagate his word.
How does that passage direct us to think money when it comes to tithe?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Candyrain(m): 1:52pm On Oct 08, 2017
Lsofdk:
To your pastor abi?
Is that what the Bible says or what your pastor told you.

Malachi 3:10 already told me where to pay my tithe. If you disagree you can pls tell us where we should pay it
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 1:53pm On Oct 08, 2017
supersystemsnig:

I am not defending anyone, i'm a minister, by the way. And this is one area, i like to stay clear off. Please i can't answer you. I'm not intelligent enough. I'm sorry

Well, then, you need to be educated.

Abraham entered into a covenant with God. He promised to tithe if God would bless him. He didn't tithe first. He allowed God do His own part first. Same thing with Jacob.

If you are a minister, then you shouldn't keep quiet while pastors rob God.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by jamalnation(m): 1:54pm On Oct 08, 2017
AFONAMARO:

He is over right. Read Deu 14:29
read
Nehemiah 10:37–38
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 1:55pm On Oct 08, 2017
jamalnation:

Numbers 18:20-32New International Version (NIV)

20 The Lord said to Aaron, “You will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them; I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites.

21 “I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the tent of meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the tent of meeting and bear the responsibility for any offenses they commit against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’”

25 The Lord said to Moses, 26 “Speak to the Levites and say to them: ‘When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the Lord’s offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the Lord from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the Lord’s portion to Aaron the priest. 29 You must present as the Lord’s portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.’

30 “Say to the Levites: ‘When you present the best part, it will be reckoned to you as the product of the threshing floor or the winepress. 31 You and your households may eat the rest of it anywhere, for it is your wages for your work at the tent of meeting. 32 By presenting the best part of it you will not be guilty in this matter; then you will not defile the holy offerings of the Israelites, and you will not die.’

Plz check who that was directed to
Answer not me and you but the LEVITES.
not me and you, to be a livites you must be from the tribe of Levi,its from these tribe teh priest comes out of, every preist back then was a Levi.When the Jews came to Nigeria SE to take blood sample of igbo people who claimed to be Jews, it was teh LEVI DNA they where looking for.If you know any Jewish priest he is in a better place to xplain to you,The command of tithing was for teh Jews and of the benefit of the Levites.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 08, 2017
BluntBoy:

Well, then, you need to be educated.

Abraham entered into a covenant with God. He promised to tithe if God would bless him. He didn't tithe first. He allowed God do His own part first. Same thing with Jacob.

If you are a minister, then you shouldn't keep quiet while pastors rob God.

I knew your kinds, debate and arguments. I said i didn't know this? Have i openly declared support for or against? Why can't people speak truths without posturing ? Please leave me IJN. I'm busy with work.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by makydebbie(f): 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2017
Lsofdk:
Lol… I just weak.
grin
Me too, gullible people.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by kabillion(m): 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2017
In God's vineyard u did the greatest thing but to ur pastor you you are an ingrate
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by AFONAMARO: 1:57pm On Oct 08, 2017
jamalnation:

And according to you, who are the levites in our modern day Christianity?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 08, 2017
BluntBoy:

If tithe is a covenant (the sort that Abraham and Jacob contracted with God), then, why do pastors emphasize it as though it were an obligation binding on anyone? Did anyone obligate Abraham to tithe? Did anyone obligate Jacob to tithe? Didn't they vow to tithe only if God first blessed them? Did they tithe before God blessed them? Was there any record of Abraham tithing out of his own properties?

No one is forcing you to tithe. your tithe is between you and God. No one obligated Jacob to tithe but in Leviticus 27: 30-34, during the time of Moses, tithe was introduced as a commandment to the children of God.
Pastors will emphasize on tithes because it's their duty to warn you of God's anger and guide you spiritually.
Read Malachi 3:8-9
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say,
Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even
this whole nation.
If you decide not to pay your tithes, ye are cursed with a curse.
And it's the Pastor's duty to warn you of this curse. if you still refuse to pay your tithe, in other words refuse to obey God's commandments, the pastor won't come to you to force it out of your pocket.
You are commanded to tithe.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by rookiy(m): 2:00pm On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:

Opinions please.

u ar damn wrong .did ur Bible say u should gv ur tithe to a begger ..use ur head
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by 400billionman: 2:01pm On Oct 08, 2017
STARKACE:
Although am a Muslim, but actions are judged according to intentions and as long as you give for the sake of God it does not matter who you give it to, it all the same rewards. Just give you alms to those who need it even if it's your family member it must not necessarily be to the church or mosque

You have made the most enlightened response here.

It does not matter who the receiver is. The receiver must be someone in need of help/money.

That's all. Brother, sister, neighbor, friend, stranger, orphan, beggar.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by AFONAMARO: 2:02pm On Oct 08, 2017
jamalnation:
read
Nehemiah 10:37–38

Again, who is the levite in our modern day church?
Mind you, a pastor aren't a levite
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Honour2: 2:02pm On Oct 08, 2017
Sir, I earn in cash so I bring my tithe to Jesus,He is the one who receives my tithe and blesses me in return, It is not my business how it is used when I bring it. All I know is that I bring all my tithe into God's storehouse out of the abundance he has given me. He blesses me, opens the windows of heaven,rebukesthe devourer and my vine does not cast her fruit before the time in the field. I tell you I have been paying my tithe for so many years and I enjoy these blessings and more.Stop running the risk of telling people to disobey God, there is a curse attached to it. If you are not sure of God's stand on an issue, ask him with a sincere heart. What is my business with what pastors do with it, my place is to obey him and I am walking in abundant blessings. [b][/b]
AFONAMARO:

The book of malachi you quoted was not talking about cash.

Secondly, you may need to read chapter 2 of same malachi to understand what it was referring to. The message was simply urging the children of Isreal to repent from their sinful ways and return to God. It was equally urging them to stop neglecting the levites, as they(levites)have all left their calling which is just to serve God, and start engaging in other ventures to make ends meet, since the other tribes have stopped remembering them with their tithes as commanded by Moses.

Remember, the main function of tithe, was to encourage the levites who have no inheritance, not to make the pastors and Bishops to become rich.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by okpaheisom(m): 2:03pm On Oct 08, 2017
[/color][quote author=mdokaba1 post=61202480]It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Opinions please.

Brother, do u know u are u are funny?
What is tithe...10% of ur income which God specifically said it belongs to him malachi 3:8-10.
You have 90% left u could not give the poor out of that...it is the one that belongs to him u gave, so by ur own judgement is it right?
Bro. The truth is that ur heart tells u it not right & thats why u are seeking our opinion... Thank God u have a living concience, God can't be mock, it doesn't matter who is eating or stealing Gods money just ask for understanding from the Holy Spirit and do ur part.
GOD BLESS U. [color=#006600][quote author=mdokaba1 post=61202480]It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Opinions please.

What is tithe...10% of ur income which God specifically said it belongs to him malachi 3:8-10.
You have 90% left u could not give the poor out of that...it is the one that belongs to him u gave, so by ur own judgement is it right?
Bro. The truth is that ur heart tells u it not right & thats why u are seeking our opinion... Thank God u have a living concience, God can't be mock, it doesn't matter who is eating or stealing Gods money just ask for understanding from the Holy Spirit and do ur part.
GOD BLESS U.
[quote author=mdokaba1 post=61202480]It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Opinions please.

GOD BLESS U.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 2:03pm On Oct 08, 2017
Yureyes:

No one is forcing you to tithe. your tithe is between you and God. No one obligated Jacob to tithe but in Leviticus 27: 30-34, during the time of Moses, tithe was introduced as a commandment to the children of God.
Pastors will emphasize on tithes because it's their duty to warn you of God's anger and guide you spiritually.
Read Malachi 3:8-9
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say,
Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even
this whole nation.
If you decide not to pay your tithes, ye are cursed with a curse.
And it's the Pastor's duty to warn you of this curse. if you still refuse to pay your tithe, in other words refuse to obey God's commandments, the pastor won't come to you to force it out of your pocket.
You are commanded to tithe.

That is where you all got it wrong. Who was God addressing in Malachi 3:8-9?

And when the Bible mentioned "storehouse", what came to your mind?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by blackbriar: 2:05pm On Oct 08, 2017
Ekennovative:
It was not tithe that you paid bro. You merely gave your money to the poor.

Malachi 3:10 specified where tithe should be paid to and what percentage to pay. Anything short of that is an act of disobedience.

You'll receive the reward attached to giving and not to tithing. Obedience is better than to sacrifice.

Please what reward is there for tithing?

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Lsofdk(m): 2:08pm On Oct 08, 2017
Candyrain:

Malachi 3:10 already told me where to pay my tithe. If you disagree you can pls tell us where we should pay it
Go read Deuteronomy 14 : 22 -29. I think that's more expressive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (27) (Reply)

Before Your Son Brings Another Son As His Wife, Wake Up - Bishop Oyedepo / Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / How Pastor Adeboye Announced Retirement Before Osinbajo, Other Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.