Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,448 members, 7,978,440 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 08:26 AM

I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? - Religion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (48617 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Bruno3000(m): 9:48pm On Oct 08, 2017
billycayana:
See what the white has done to my people
Confusion everywhere
cheesy

xup cutie...
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by covenantchildd: 9:49pm On Oct 08, 2017
NewNigeriaMind:

You are already blessed my brother. Ask God and you shall receive.

You don’t need a priest for God’s Blessing.

When you live the testament of Christ Jesus you shall realize all your needs have been provided for and it carries more weight when you ask directly from God than from a priest.

Yes he is blessed already like u rightly siad,but blessings needs to b activated thru ur act of obedience of faith as commanded jst dsame way u need to engage ur gift or talent deposited inside of u for profiting
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by covenantchildd: 9:56pm On Oct 08, 2017
Its unfortunate so many peeps here see tithing as "donations", hence their reason for not giving it to d church,my people indeed perish for lack of knowledge
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by adegeye38(m): 10:00pm On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

But was I wrong to have given my 10percent to a beggar instead of to the alter?

Opinions please.

you are not wrong bro, its cool, guess God just wanted to use you to bless that woman.

keep on paying your tithe bro, to the Church or wherever God wants you to
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by shallysgirl: 10:11pm On Oct 08, 2017
Someone close to them told me.
TEYA:

Perform rituals with money given to them? You are superstitious o!
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by SuperHigh(m): 10:20pm On Oct 08, 2017
Truth be told, you have not paid tithe.
You only sowed a seed

We are commanded to bring our tithe to the store house of God. Malachi. 4

Be guided pls,
Our service to god is not how we feel but how He has instructed
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by PianoWizard: 10:27pm On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

Opinions please.

what you did is wrong... your tithe is for God and the church.

Tithing is a command,, it means 10 percent of what you received is holy and special unto God.

If you feel like giving to the poor why not give out of your own and leave your tithe.
I am sure you see tithing as donations hence you don't take it seriously.

I doubt if you listen since everyone is already praising you.

Sorry bro but you lack biblical understanding.

lol,, you carry tithe give beggar and you think you have paid tithe.. SMH
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobodys(f): 10:31pm On Oct 08, 2017
Exempted:

But did the bible ask us to be kind to the poor with OUR TITHES

Aren't there other channels u can show kindness 2d poor? Must it be God's %?
yes dear. The bible says we shud be kind to the poor with our tithes
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobodys(f): 10:33pm On Oct 08, 2017
PianoWizard:

Tithing is a command,, it means 10 percent of what you received is holy and special unto God.

If you feel like giving to the poor why not give out of your own and leave your tithe.

and u think u hav biblical knowledge?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by mchc1001: 10:35pm On Oct 08, 2017
tuclap:

Your space for hell go dey very sure without double chance IF you continue this your mindset

You must be wasting your time if you think that by paying your tithe you will make heaven

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 10:39pm On Oct 08, 2017
adjoviomole:

The widow that gave her all while Jesus was in the temple, she brought is to the ban abi store house too abi?

I have read your comments and they are evidences that you are a very lazy Christian.

First, the widow was not tithing but making a contribution.

Second, the storehouse mentioned in Malachi is not the temple but
a place where grains and all were stored for the benefits of those who served in the temple. You couldn't bring your tithes by yourself to the storehouse. It was first given to the Levites who would tithe a tenth of the original tithe (this is called a tithe of the tithes). A tithe of the tithes is 1% and this would be made only by the Levites in the presence of the priests. The 1% would be deposited in the storehouse by the Levitical tribes and it would serve the workers in the temple, including the Levites and the priests. The tithes were not meant to maintain the temple. There was a temple tax for that purpose.

Third, the book of Malachi cannot be read in isolation. God was angry about a whole lot of things and not just tithe alone. I don't have much time but take your time to read the book of Nehemiah.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by adegeye38(m): 10:39pm On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:

Opinions please.

Guy dont let any ignorant fool sway your believe on d benefits and importance of tithing

First, let's look at the defintion and purpose of the tithe.

The main principle behind tithing and giving is the fact that what we do with our money shows where our heart is.

Matthew 6:21 says "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

When we are able to give 10% or more of our income instead of keeping that money for ourselves, it shows that our heart isn't tied to our money and that welove God more than our money.

The Bible mentions money over 800 times and of all of Jesus' parables, more than half of them talked about money. Why? Because that is where so many people get tripped up! When we are able to release at least 10% of our income back to God, our money doesn't have as tight of a hold on us because we realize that God is in control of our finances. We remember that everything we have has been given to us by Him.

Even though most of us probably work for the money we make each month, even God has his hand there - He has given us the ability to do our jobs. Many who grasp what God has truly given them seem to agree that 10% doesn't even feel like enough!

Is Tithing Mandatory?

some people find issue with idea of tithing being "mandatory" or "required" - as if it is something that keeps believers in bondage.

But do God's standards really keep us in bondage? Just like God tells us to keep sex within marriage, to love one another and to seek first His kingdom, tithing is a blessing to our lives and something that will help better our lives (as well as help the lives of others).

We are not saved by works, thus failing to tithe will not necessarily send you to hell, but doing so will help improve your life and strengthen your relationship with God.

I personally don't believe that God will curse us if we don't tithe, but I do believe He will help us escape the curse that is already in the world if we do.

Old Testament vs. New Testament

Tithing Practices Whether the tithe is only for Old Testament or if it is also included in the New Testament is probably the most debated issue.

The scripture most frequently referenced regarding the tithe is indeed in the Old Testament (Malachi 3:10-12), but the tithe is also referenced in the New Testament. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus talks to the Pharisees, condemning them for tithing to the penny but neglecting the moreimportant issues of justice, mercyand faith.

He then goes on to tell them that they should in fact tithe, but that they shouldn't neglect the more important things.

Jesus recognized the importance of keeping the tithe and we should, too.

There are many practices in the Old Testament that don't make sense to us today, yet many of these ancients ways carry over to the New Testament law of grace as part of Christ's promise to not abolish the law, but to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17).

For instance we no longer sacrifice animals but asbelievers we are called to offer ourselves up as a living sacrifice (Rom 12:1).

Men no longer are required to be circumcised, but we all have a circumcision of the heart through the Holy Spirit (Rom 2:29).

Most of us don't have grain and produce to bring to the storehouse, but we do have incomes that we can bring the first tenth of into the church.

In other words, just because something is written in the Old Testament doesn't mean it lacks application to us today in some way or another.

When I think of Christians asking themselves whether "tithing" is commanded in the Bible, is an OldTestament or New Testament teaching, I wonder how many of these Christians "send back" the many scriptural blessings God has given His people in the Old Testament.

How many people when they are blessed and given hope through the mention of God's works, words etc. through the Old Testament Scriptures say ‘I don't receive this or that blessing or confirmation because it's in the Old Testament'?"

While it is true that we are no longer under the old law, that we are under grace, we must not forget the purpose of grace: to help us live for God and do the things He wants us to do.

Romans 8:4 tells us that Jesus came that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, not so that we could altogether dismiss it.

And Romans 3:21-31 talks about how we have righteousness through faith and not through following the law, but verse 31 adds "Do we,then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law."

God's grace gives us the power and ability to tithe!

The blessings of tithing is what you see and experience, so am not talking abstracly

as a born again christian continue to grow in Christ and make sure YOU HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, you are a success already

Christianity is not a religion but a way of life

I, as a person, am ready to give as much as i can to the gospel, not only in tithe alone, cos without the gospel i am a Nobody, the gospel gave me all i have and It is the most valuable thing in the world!!.

God bless you bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by smackazi(m): 10:49pm On Oct 08, 2017
Yes you are 100% wrong
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nnamekus1(m): 11:01pm On Oct 08, 2017
Nobodys:
anoda prooff... Wel swithrt the funny thing is our pastors use verse 10 to preach for first fruits buh nooo they wud never go down to verse 12... Christianity isnt the problem. D problem is our bad religious leaders
You're so on point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by freeman5555(m): 11:06pm On Oct 08, 2017
mat 25:35-40. verse 40 says "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me"
so if you ask me, u have paid your tithe.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Topgainer: 11:23pm On Oct 08, 2017
It is obvious the manipulators of Malachi 3 on this thread dodge to comment on Deuteronomy 14. They threaten and rain empty curses on Christians who asked them to prove this 'all' important God's ten percent share of people's wages and salary which must be brought to the Gentile Papa Daddy.
Tithe is a command and a law, but only within the Hebrew Jurisdiction. The guidelines for it can be seen in the Torah and it ends there with other Jewish customs like it. The modifications by Gentile Bishops and man of gods to mean 10% of people's wages or salaries to be submitted weekly to a man who is not a Levite does not have origin in the Bible let alone among the founding Fathers of Christianity.
Somebody jokingly said that the men of gods are behind close doors working hard to expunge Deut 14 from the Bible for the declining revenue the truth of that passage will cause them. But for now, it is safe to avoid that passage till a robust countering statements could be manufactured.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by castro316: 11:32pm On Oct 08, 2017
adjoviomole:

Does the op need to still pay his tithe or not?
He has paid his tithe completely. Jesus is not a confusionist. Read Mathew 25 and also remember that Jesus is God too
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by vikstandon(m): 11:37pm On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

can we see a sample?

What are you beating at...Do I owe you all these explanations.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by donj84: 12:32am On Oct 09, 2017
HajimeSaito:
You have done the most noble thing a Christian can do. Don't listen to any son of Belial who tells you otherwise.

Proverbs 19:17

Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.

Proverbs 28:27

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.
Be careful with this guy o,he should not lead you astray....tithe is different from giving. Tithe is a commandment that can't be compromised. You pay your one tenth in the church, once you giving your tithe to a person,its no longer tithe, its giving... God never condemned giving.....even for you to get double blessings and quick growth, when you pay your tithe, you give one tenth of your tithe now to like the begger you gave the main tithe to or to someone you know can't pay you back...
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Aragon: 1:17am On Oct 09, 2017
mdokaba1:

Opinions please.

You ask this question cos you only believe your Pastor and so you don't bother to read the BIBLE cos if you do you will know that God never asked for your Tithes in the first place. Read the entire Malachi it's the smallest book of the Bible. Read it and not just the little verse your Pastor shows you. Your Pastor is neither a Jew or Levite and so have no Right to the Provisions God made for them. As long as Jesus and Paul did not ask or collect Tithes you waste your time with it. Rather Follow what Jesus said can take you to Heaven. "I was Sick, Naked, Hungry etc and you cared for me, Now come into the House of my Father" Which is exactly what you just did and should continue to do And not Fund luxurious Lifestyle of these people calling themselves pastors. Go to Youtube and search for "UNLEARN the lies" There you will see a Jewish Bible teacher teach about Tithes. At least it's from his Culture and Tradition. It's just 9mins clip. By the time you finish watching it all the Pastors in the world can't change your mind cos once TRUTH hits you , nothing can change it again
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by promez(m): 1:24am On Oct 09, 2017
bedspread:

It's Wonderful to give to the poor... INFACT the Bible specifically talks about dt.

But Your Tithe is not a gift. Neither is it your money. Your Tithe is GOD's SHARE of your Money. And He Directs where it should be taken to. See Malachi 3:10

Deuteronomy 26 Vs 12 says otherwise.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Tizbid(m): 1:36am On Oct 09, 2017
mdokaba1:

Opinions please.

Several bible quotations flying here and there as everyone wanna prove a point.

Does paying your tithe grant u salvation or does the lack of doing so take u to hell?(Bible quoting spirit filled fellows can jump on that... grin).
Love for God and love for your neighbour is what's important.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 2:59am On Oct 09, 2017
stagger:
Your tithe belongs exclusively to God. Even pastors are expected to pay 10% of their increase as tithe. They were Christians first before they became pastors. Tithe is to be used for work in church, not for pastor to go shopping or buying fuel. I know one who used to use tithe money to fuel his car and he is presently living under a very heavy curse.

There is a place for also giving to the poor, as well as to parents, to societal causes, etc. It is not compulsory to give physical cash to the poor. In fact, if you pay for a skills training to take a poor person off the streets, you have not only given to that poor person but you have improved the lives of at least two or three dependants of that poor person. If you buy a garri grating machine for the poor women in your village to grate cassava, you have given to the poor in huge measure.

Don't let anyone deceive you by saying your tithe should be given to the poor. You can give to the poor in many measures. So instead of just dropping money in a poor person's plate and leaving him or her in that condition still, you should make it a duty to take that person off the streets. Adopt an orphan. Put a child to school. Pay for a skills acquisition training for someone. That is the best kind of giving you can give to a poor person as you will transform them for a lifetime.

You people keep shouting God, God, God. Does he come down and take the money
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 3:03am On Oct 09, 2017
bedspread:
YOU TITHE IS NOT TO YOUR PASTOR... I drop my Tithe either in the basket for it or I pay to the Church Account....

You are seriously an olodo. Who has the Chirch's bank account? God? Is it not the pastor and his executive men? You need brain.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 3:17am On Oct 09, 2017
PianoWizard:

Tithing was food and crops according to the Bible, if my Church wants tithe, let them come so we can go to the market and buy food stuffs. I won't be giving any pastorpreneur my shi shi.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by VagileVictor(m): 3:58am On Oct 09, 2017
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it". Malachi 3:10

Brother, tithe is brought into the central storehouse of God and not scattered as you have done. What you have done is referred to as"almsgiving". Which denotes robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Almsgiving is different from tithe. You can't use your discretion as it concerns tithe because it is fixed at 10% of your income but you can decide to give any percentage in terms of almsgiving.

A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by MikeJosy: 5:59am On Oct 09, 2017
U have done a very good charity work, the bible says he who lend to the poor, lendeth to the lord but that is no longer called tithe. Good charity work, keep it up but remember that ur tithe should be paid in ur church.According Mal 3:9-10.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Richiejaystar: 6:45am On Oct 09, 2017
Your tithe is to be given in the church, u are still owing God his tithe.
U only helped the beggar, you didn't pay any tithe.
Your tithe and offerings should go to the lord in his church.

Pray and ask God for signs.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 6:55am On Oct 09, 2017
vikstandon:

What are you beating at...Do I owe you all these explanations.
Not at all.But it will be great to see such Bible physically cos I'm meant to believe it's an Online Bible .
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Topgainer: 7:09am On Oct 09, 2017
PianoWizard:
Tithing is a command,, it means 10 percent of what you received is holy.I am sure you see tithing as donations hence you don't take it seriously.lol,, you carry tithe give beggar and you think you have paid tithe.. SMH
Tithe was for the sons of Levi and the Temple, the widows, the strangers, the poor and the whole people of Isreal. It was not money in the first place. Deut 14 says the law made the giving of tithe ( farm produce) once every 3 years.
If you ever took 10% of your money weekly or monthly to any Gentile Papa and call that tithe, you are 100% wrong. In fact, what you gave is offerings.

MikeJosy:
U have done a very good charity work, the bible says he who lend to the poor, lendeth to the lord but that is no longer called tithe. Good charity work, keep it up but remember that ur tithe should be paid in ur church. According Mal 3:9-10.
No Jewish man to whom the Tithe was given took his tithes directly to any Church assuming there was Church then. Levites are the only people who took tithes to Temple besides, the Jewish Temple and the Church are completely different. Go and read your Bible, because it is clear you don't know or you know but are deliberately twisting Bible to suit your preset mind.
VagileVictor:
Malachi 3:10
denotes robbing Peter to pay Paul You can't use your discretion as it concerns tithe because it is fixed at 10% of your income but you can decide to give any percentage in terms of almsgiving.
A word is enough for the wise.
He robbed nobody. 10% of income submitted to a Gentile Papa is not tithe and 100% of January Salary submitted to Daddy Papa is not first fruit.
Richiejaystar:
Your tithe is to be given in the church, u are still owing God his tithe.
U only helped the beggar, you didn't pay any tithe.
Your tithe and offerings should go to the lord in his church.
Pray and ask God for signs.
He is not owing God any money. Jesus paid all our debts to the Law and gave us a new Commandment to love one another.
He doesn't need to pray for signs when the guidelines, the purpose and to whom tithes are meant for is clearly written in the Torah. All he needed to do was to study.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by webhostbiz: 7:22am On Oct 09, 2017
REV. FR OKITE EXPLAINS THE LAW ON TITHES IN THE LIGHT OF GOD'S CONCERN FOR THE POOR

I call on all priests and ministers of the Gospel to rethink the meaning of our life and vocation as priests and ministers. Each person should ask himself why he chose to become a priest or a Gospel minister. What does God expect of me as a priest? The priest is alter Christus, another Christ. What this means is that people who encounter me should be able to see the touching presence of Christ in and through me. They should be able to feel Chist's love and compassion, his care and concern. My words should reveal and reflect Christ's message of hope and salvation. During our retreat, I told the retreatants the story of a young priest (and this is a true story) who, intending to bamboozle his audience with high sounding theological terms, kept repeating to them "As a priest, I am altar Christi." And I said to him what do you mean by that? He replied, you know nah, it means another Christ. I corrected him. He intended to say "alter Christus". But I added, how I wish you meant the one you said, "altar Christi" because that is also a grammatically possible expression in Latin, and it means "altar of Christ". You see being a priest involves sacrifice. The priest should be ready to become the altar upon which the sacrifice of the Christian community will be offered. He should be ready to bear the sacrifice upon himself.
But what we find is a situation where the priest thinks he is there to enjoy life. The priest craves a life of affluence and excessive wealth.
The priest should take a look at the inaugural message of Christ in Luke 4,16-30 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because ge has anointed me. He has sent me to bring good news to the poor. .." The priest who models himself after Christ cannot but take seriously this mission to the poor. But what we find in the Church today is an overall exploitation of the poor masses. Some parish priests cannot begin a Sunday mass and end it without calling for two or more extra collections outside the regular offertory. This is highly unacceptable. I call this "exploitation of the people's faith and devotion." Presently Nigeria is going through one of the worst economic downturn in its history. Life is at its ebb. Families can't afford their food daily. Yet they somehow manage to give some to the Church and the priest. We should all be geateful for this. But the greedy priest is not satisfied with this. He must, like Oliver Twist, ask for more, and more and more, until the pockets are drained. That is exploitation. The priest should take cognisance of the real life situations of his flock. Part of our duty as priests in these hard times is to help our people to navigate through the difficulties that face them, and we cannot do this if we exploit them financially.
Let me give you another example of how we are exploiting the people. Recently the idea of tithes and tithing has crept into the Catholic Church in Igboland. Clearly this is one of those influences we picking up from Pentecostalism. However, is it justitifiable biblically and otherwise? My answer is a categorical NO. In the Old Testament texts which speak about tithes, the whole idea was that of a redistribution of wealth, in order to make sure that the people who don't have would get something from those who have more. It was not something principally to be offered to priests or those who served at the altar. If you take Deut 14:22-29 for instance, this point becomes clear. I call on everyone, both priests and lay faithful to go and read this passage very well. The idea here is that there was an annual occasion for tithing, in which each family was to take one tenth (i.e. the tithe) of their year's produce to the temple, and there in the temple the family itself (not the priests) will together eat what they have brought. In their feasting however, they are enjoined not to forget the Levites, "because they have no property or inheritance". They should also remember to share some of it with "the resident foreigner, the orphan and the widow." So tithing as the book of Deuteronomy makes clear is an occasion for feasting, in which a part of it is shared with the poor, namely the Levites, the resident foreigners, the widows and orphans.
One may argue that the priests are the Levites of our time. That may be correct, but in this passage what entitles the Levites to a share in the tithe is not his serving the Lord, but the fact of his possessing no property. The priests of today (or in the Protestant and Pentecostal churches, the pastor, minister, evangelist) all have possessions: cars, landed property, fat bank accounts, etc. They no longer belong to the poor who were meant to eat the tithes with the people. The primary concern in the Deuteronomic law on tithes is that the people, by means of a communion meal before the Lord, involving one tenth of their produce, should recognise God as the one who gave the land and its increase, and tha they should share it with those who do not have. When we come to the famous passage in Malachi 3, God laments that the people rob him by not bringing in their tithes. This passage in Malachi can only be interpreted in reference to the bringing in of tithes means in Deuteronomy. That is to say, God laments that people were not bringing their tithes to the temple to eat as the Law requires, but were eating them them at home. And by doing so, the poor people including the Levites, the widows and orphans, could not get their own share. God's concern for the poor is offended.
Now leaving the Bible aside, let's talk of morality and justice. What moral justification can a priest who owns a car, sometimes the latest model in town, has millions in his bank account, owns buildings all over, lives in Parish house that is paid for and catered for by the parishioners, whose feeding and overhead expenses are taken care of by others. What moral justification can such a person ever have to demand that a poor parishioner, whose earning is so meagre, should give him 10% of it, under false pretence that you are the modern day Levite. There is a huge difference. The difference is that the modern day priest is, to say the least, well-to-do while the ancient Levite was destitute. When the priest or minister or pastor under the pretext of being a Levite, demands tithes from his congregation, that would amount to exploitation and forming part of the oppressive machinery. Only a warped sense of rightness, fuelled by egoism, will allow that.
So my advice to fellow priests is that we should keep the seeking of self interest and financial gains by the side and focus on service to the people.
On a further note, discipline and self control are very important in our lives as priests.

Pls forward this message if you found it enlightening and eye-opening. Help save our poor masses from the greed of of priests and pastors

#SharedasCopied#

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobodys(f): 7:28am On Oct 09, 2017
freeman5555:
mat 25:35-40. verse 40 says "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me"
so if you ask me, u have paid your tithe.
exactly dear ..everyone of these lazy christians who wont make proper research on d bible buh only bliv what their pastor says, kept saying d guy is wrong, that tithe is mearnt for God ..i wonder when our pastors became the God, when it clearly states that if we feed d hungry ones then we hav fed God...op u dy right jor....they wud rush to quote mal 3 buh wud act like there is no deut in their bible... They interprete the bible to a way that it favours their pocket...God help the christiandom..

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Which Church Program Would You Want To Attend? (Hilarious Photos) / Prophetess Who Claimed She Went To Hell Apologize To The Church / 10 Self-Proclaimed Holy Men With Miracles That Went Horribly Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.