Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,614 members, 7,932,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 01:29 PM

Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. (9084 Views)

My Sojourn Into W201 World (1993 190E I6 Auto Tranny) / A Clean Mercedes Benz 190E For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by Nobody: 2:32am On Oct 24, 2017
Jakumo:

Benzmatic, don't underestimate the abilities of Nigeria's shade-tree mechanics, popularly known as Kazeems. Some time back I was looking for a 1985 W126 Mercedes 500SE (The very rare short chassis version of the car), as opposed to the readily available 500SEL version of that car that came with the long chassis.

I found my dream car clinically dead in a village mechanics' yard, where it had been set up on blocks for use as a break room and weed smoking venue for the apprentice mechanics. I bought the car right away for the princely sum of 30K naira total, despite noting that it originally was powered by a puny six-cylinder 300 engine, that had to go, since my religion forbids using any engine besides a powerful V8.

That engine swap turned out to be quite complex, and it eventually entailed replacing not just the transmission, but also the rear differential, in order to arrive at the correct back-axle gear-ratio to match the V8 engine's specifications. Finally, due to the age of the car, it was impossible to find a stock drive shaft (propeller shaft) for the modified drive train, so, the Kazeems swooped to the rescue again, and managed to fabricate a shortened propeller shaft that would fit the car, starting with the shaft taken from an SEL ( long chassis) version of the vehicle.

Today, that 500SE still looks like a crappy old Babalawo's car, but looks can be very deceiving, and one of my great pleasures when behind the wheel of the car, is stomping on the gas pedal for blast-off along the open highway, like a guided missile on a mission, whose smooth yet brutal acceleration and top speed can only be matched by a tiny minority of brand new vehicles currently plying Nigerian roads.

I could tell you some amazing stories about how heavy equipment Kazeem mechanics were able to completely re -assemble a highly complex D7G Caterpillar bulldozer, which I bought in total scrap condition from a dredging company in Lekki Lagos, with the transmission completely disassembled and packed into sacks on the ground at the time of purchase, but that topic is not relevant to cars, outside of its value in illustrating the considerable skill set of Nigeria's shade-tree Kazeem mechanics.
wow.... please can you share a picture of your w126
Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by masties2(f): 2:38pm On Oct 24, 2017
Awesome work op. Really impressive.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by masties2(f): 2:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
Jakumo:

Benzmatic, don't underestimate the abilities of Nigeria's shade-tree mechanics, popularly known as Kazeems. Some time back I was looking for a 1985 W126 Mercedes 500SE (The very rare short chassis version of the car), as opposed to the readily available 500SEL version of that car that came with the long chassis.

I found my dream car clinically dead in a village mechanics' yard, where it had been set up on blocks for use as a break room and weed smoking venue for the apprentice mechanics. I bought the car right away for the princely sum of 30K naira total, despite noting that it originally was powered by a puny six-cylinder 300 engine, that had to go, since my religion forbids using any engine besides a powerful V8.

That engine swap turned out to be quite complex, and it eventually entailed replacing not just the transmission, but also the rear differential, in order to arrive at the correct back-axle gear-ratio to match the V8 engine's specifications. Finally, due to the age of the car, it was impossible to find a stock drive shaft (propeller shaft) for the modified drive train, so, the Kazeems swooped to the rescue again, and managed to fabricate a shortened propeller shaft that would fit the car, starting with the shaft taken from an SEL ( long chassis) version of the vehicle.

Today, that 500SE still looks like a crappy old Babalawo's car, but looks can be very deceiving, and one of my great pleasures when behind the wheel of the car, is stomping on the gas pedal for blast-off along the open highway, like a guided missile on a mission, whose smooth yet brutal acceleration and top speed can only be matched by a tiny minority of brand new vehicles currently plying Nigerian roads.

I could tell you some amazing stories about how heavy equipment Kazeem mechanics were able to completely re-assemble a highly complex D7G Caterpillar bulldozer, which I bought in total scrap condition from a dredging company in Lekki Lagos, with the transmission completely disassembled and packed into sacks on the ground at the time of purchase, but that topic is not relevant to cars, outside of its value in illustrating the considerable skill set of Nigeria's shade-tree Kazeem mechanics.

You write like a poet. Have your tried your hands at poetry?

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by benzmatic: 1:30pm On Jan 15, 2018
Painter: mr Jimoh, Agbowo, Ibadan: 08056130577. used the oven at Ojoo.

upholstery man: located at mechanic village, railway line, Bodija, Ibadan. Phone no. not found, everyone knows him there. They call him 'Elewedu'.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by BamBamK: 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
thank u...

benzmatic:

upholstery man: located at mechanic village, railway line, Bodija, Ibadan. Phone no. not found, everyone knows him there. They call him 'Elewedu'.
Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by Praxtech: 2:54pm On Aug 12, 2020
benzmatic:

Gazzuzz see what you caused

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. by rhames(m): 6:03am On Jun 15, 2021
benzmatic:
hello NL. its been ages. I like many of the old mercs but the 190: I can call special. The company sold more than a million examples. I've been wanting to share my 190 pictures since forever so I thought to attempt starting that this evening. They are not many, I'll also be brief. here goes:

I doff my heart for another member of Mercedes Benz fanatic club. I have a budget Not N300k for any older model, either the regular V booth or 190.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Get The 4 Digit Code That Came With My Peugeot 406.. / 7 Simple Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria / Autel, Launch And Other Car Diagnostics Equipments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.