Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,839 members, 7,882,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 07:34 PM

If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? (2152 Views)

Why Is There No Single Objective Proof That God Exists / Jesus And Other Gods Born On December 25 / Death Is Proof That A Higher Power (god) Exists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2017
NPComplete:

How do u know the universe is not a mind? Because u are incapable of communicating with it doesn't preclude that possibility.
Right now as u are typing this, there are probably two bacteria or cells inside u having this discussion in their own way. And they are claiming u aren't a mind too just a mishmash of cells and tissues.

You are making my point bro . Now you are agreeing with the mind–body dualism - the mind and the body are separable . See the universe as a body and God as the mind and voila ! You have panentheism . That the universe is the body of God and Its non-physical or mental aspect of Itself , is Its mind . The universe itself is not mind , it is the body . wink

I agree with this. The problem is that u want to define the something like the bible does. And I want to define that something in other ways.
That's okay then

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2017
CuteMadridista:

How do you know "There's nothing prior to the existence of the universe"?

I meant there couldn't have been nothingness prior to the existence of the universe since nothing produces nothing .
Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by NPComplete: 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You are making my point bro . Now you are agreeing with the mind–body dualism - the mind and the body are separable . See the universe as a body and God as the mind and voila ! You have panentheism . That the universe is the body of God and Its non-physical or mental aspect of Itself , is Its mind . The universe itself is not mind , it is the body . wink

That's okay then

Hmmm. This is also a possibility I am inclined to believe.
Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2017
NPComplete:

Perhaps everything exists within that limited god. And we, his creations, live and express ourselves within the limits his limits gave us.
I am wondering why people have a problem with a limited God. Why can't our God have his own God. Why is that a thought people just don't want to entertain?/

I think Occam's razor should come in here : We should pick a much simpler explanation over this . God does not need to be limited and have his own God , what about God's God's God and so on ? And we could be in a mess if we should think God is limited needing another being and this other being will need another being - this is another form of infinite regress anyway .
Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2017
NPComplete:

Hmmm. This is also a possibility I am inclined to believe.

Does this mean that the existence of our finite minds is contingent on the existence of the mind of the universe , God ? Which I have previously described as an 'ultimate mind '
Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by NPComplete: 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I think Occam's razor should come in here : We should pick a much simpler explanation over this . God does not need to be limited and have his own God , what about God's God's God and so on ? And we could be in a mess if we should think God is limited needing another being and this other being will need another being - this is another form of infinite regress anyway .

You people forget that Occam's Razor isn't always a perfect fit.
For example, u don't know about how people have children. But u hear about two competing theories. One, two people have sex and a sperm fertilizes an egg and cells divide and after 9 months a baby is pushed out of the womb through a vagina. Two, a stork carries the baby in its beak and drops it at the door step of the parents Dumbo-style.
Occam's Razor says the second is most likely right. But we all know that's a lie.
Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:31pm On Oct 23, 2017
NPComplete:

You people forget that Occam's Razor isn't always a perfect fit.
For example, u don't know about how people have children. But u hear about two competing theories. One, two people have sex and a sperm fertilizes an egg and cells divide and after 9 months a baby is pushed out of the womb through a vagina. Two, a stork carries the baby in its beak and drops it at the door step of the parents Dumbo-style.
Occam's Razor says the second is most likely right. But we all know that's a lie.

But you do realize that infinite regress is illogical right ? That alone proves you wrong na . You can't continue having finite beings ad infinitum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If God Exists, Doesn't That Mean That Other Gods Exist? by NPComplete: 11:18pm On Oct 23, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

But you do realize that infinite regress is illogical right ? That alone proves you wrong na . You can't continue having finite beings ad infinitum

You are missing the point of my who argument. My position gives way for multiple beliefs. U can see that since the beginning of this discussion, I have accepted more than one position as what I am inclined to believe.
We can't have an infinite regress? How do u know? What if an infinite, or a cyclical one for that matter, regress is actually the norm outside of this universe?
Furthermore, even if the regress is finite, what's to say ur own creator is the original cause? Perhaps ur creator also has a creator who has a creator than goes way back to the original cause.

I don't believe exactly one thing. I believe in a lot of possible things.

(1) (2) (Reply)

what does it mean to be bornagain / France 98: Nigeria Lost their match to Denmark deliberately in 98 WC / God Gave Me Annointed Vagina: Pastor Veronica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.