Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,181 members, 7,890,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 04:37 AM

7 Outrageous Things You Should Never Say In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Outrageous Things You Should Never Say In An Interview (679 Views)

Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview / 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

7 Outrageous Things You Should Never Say In An Interview by Omachi006(f): 11:35am On Nov 02, 2017
We get that it is easy to get rattled at a job interview. And before you know it, you’ve blurted something out that would most likely cost you that job.

This is why it is very important that you stay calm and centered before you’re called in for the interview; during the interview and even afterwards.

The first thing you need to do is to breathe in deep and tell yourself you’ve got this. You don’t need to be unnecessarily tensed or anxious. These things make for a bad interview.

So, whether you’re standing or sitting in a lobby or something, here are some 7 things you should never say in a job interview, no matter how nervous and anxious you are.

1. What does your company do?
Really. You should never ever ask this question. Your role as an interviewee is to make sure you get all the needed and appropriate information about the company you’ve been invited to for the interview.

If you ask this question, your interviewer will assume you’re not ready for the job or you’re simply uninterested.

2. My previous boss was extremely annoying.
No one and I mean no one needs to know this. You don’t badmouth your previous boss or bosses at an interview. That is way too much unnecessary information that may end up costing you that position.

By the way, well-brought up people don’t talk bad about others in spite of the circumstances. It just serves as a stain on your character when you do.

While it may be hard to not talk negative about your previous boss, especially if you left the company under bad conditions, you don’t want to talk about it.

3. Is it a problem if…?
Another thing you really should never say is to ask questions about your shortcomings or to even point them. Especially when you’ve not been given the job! You need to focus on the conversation with the interviewer and quiet the critical voice in your head. Once you pay close attention to the questions being asked, then you won’t deviate from the path of discussion. Your brain slows down and then you can think about the kinds of answers to give to the interviewer.

You really don’t want to start babbling and asking unnecessary questions.

4. I’m not good at working with people
Maybe working with a team isn’t your best strength. So you prefer working by yourself at times. It’s cool but interviewers and employers see being unable to work with a team as a red flag that diminishes your hire-ability.

A tree doesn’t make a forest. It is impossible to grow anything by one’s self. You will always need people to help you grow at every point in life. So, you need to have an understanding that you alone can’t do everything.

Interviewers see being able to interact and work with a team as an indication that you’re good for the company. So start harnessing those social skills and put them to work.

5. I’m not excited about this role
You may be perfect for the job; you’ve got all the qualifications, charisma and stuff. But if you say stuff like “I’m not excited about this role but I’m bored at home” or “this job is just something to get by while I look for other opportunities” or “I’ve got bills to pay so this job is just a thing I have to do”.

Truth is it doesn’t matter your reasons for taking the job or coming for the interview, you need to show some excitement!

6. I’m not very good at using software. Is it going to be a problem?
At times, our mouth takes off running before our brain gets the chance to catch up. Truth is interviewers don’t want to hear you talk about your perceived defects. They want to know what you can do and how well you can do it. Whether you’re not an expert with Excel or Microsoft Office Suite, it is not your role to pinpoint your weaknesses.

If they have a problem, let them tell you about it. Don’t put words in their mouth. If they don’t ask, don’t say it even if you’re thinking it.

7. How much leave time can I get if I start working here?
Wow. Talk of foot in mouth syndrome. If you haven’t even been hired, you definitely should NOT be asking about how much leave time you can get. Employers and human resources personnel want to see excitement and passion about the work you would be doing in the company.

Unless you’ve been hired and you want to discuss terms, you should not ask how much leave time you can get. There’s no hurry.

Bonus: How important is it exactly for me to get to work on time? Is not a question you should ask. It’s unprofessional and may reduce your hire-ability chances.
Just know you’re not there to beg for a job. You have a lot to offer. Don’t plead for the job by staying things like “I’m a hard worker” or “I do well under stress” but state what you bring to the table as a professional.

If they’re worth working for, they will hire you because they will be impressed with your thinking, your accomplishments and learning as well as your personality.

Just remember that you can’t mess up an interview. You can only learn from it.

Source: https://afmobiblog./2017/09/25/7-outrageous-things-you-should-never-say-in-a-job-interview/

Re: 7 Outrageous Things You Should Never Say In An Interview by Omachi006(f): 11:36am On Nov 02, 2017
Don't get tired of going for interviews. One golden opportunity is all you need. wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apply For Cornerstone Staffing Ongoing Recruitment 2017 / Vacancy! Operation Assistant Needed At Magprotein Nigeria Limited - Apply Here / Needed Urgently, Administrative Assistant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.