Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,018 members, 7,896,288 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:25 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4490204 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 11:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ^^^^ naaa the answer was SA are animals , uncivilized people , wild animals which escaped from the zoo ...you guys need to go back where you rightly belong (follow the arrow)-----------> THE JUNGLE there is no zoo which can contain such wild animals.
Humanity is a mindset it is not about free education(my foot yeahh) ,free healthcare etc and all those fantasies that the average SA can't even afford , i promised here to not show how poor a big part of your population is , because i know they didn't choose it , don't make me break that oath.

By free health care we do not mean every thing is free. But basic health care at state medical facalties is free if you can not afford it. Eductaion is free for those who can not afford it. Though the sytem is not perfect and there are those who slip through the crakes and of course free dose not mean good it is the best program of it's kind in Africa.

PS there are no real jungels in SA. We have bush veld.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 24, 2013
andrewza:

By free health care we do not mean every thing is free. But basic health care at state medical facalties is free if you can not afford it. Eductaion is free for those who can not afford it. Though the sytem is not perfect and there are those who slip through the crakes and of course free dose not mean good it is the best program of it's kind in Africa.

PS there are no real jungels in SA. We have bush veld.
baba GOD what kind of paradise is not perfect? grin grin tongue shei SA go kill una
so your educational system is not good? well i don't know and don't bother about SA ,as a foreigner your country is a no no. like you said earlier Sa aint perfect so is Nigeria or Cameroon , try to b humble next time you will realize that no one envy you , stop trying to shove in people's throat your supremacist ideas. Don't throw stones when your house is made of glass.
last but not the least SA sure have a good and well equipped/trained army but the value of an army is on the ground.
i rest my case for today if i catch you insulting someone again you go see .why even Africans call you savages cool cool. Have a good night grin grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:06am On Jan 25, 2013
snydergp:

Firstly u are not the best in africa even the Ethiopian infantry troops are rated higher then naija's AK-47 carrying bandits who left there APV and fled when Sudanese rebbels attacted u and that's a fact.

When it comes to dissipline ur army are way behind, even ur own Nigerian Citizens have commented about ur soldiers treatment of ur own citizens.

Please upgrade those AK-47's ur soldiers are using in Mali to more modern rifles like SANDF's homemade R4 assualt rifles those AK's are good, but lack accurracy and range in DM situations.

Your troops haven't started in direct engagement with rebbels so please let's talk after France has done all the hardwork for u and Ecowas.

Those AK's looks as if ur still a thirdworld rag tag armytongue, and please don't tell ur not using them because the world saw ur army carrying those antique rebbel rowzers.

Buy some of these from SA ur army will look more modern "Mr Giants of Africa", also tell ur solldiers to stop molesting refugees where ever they are deployd including in Nigeria were they regulary beat up old people at check points.

R4's the standard issue rifle for SANDF.

Look at that soldier doesn't he look more equiped and professional then an average NA soldiers

IT IS NOW VERY CLEAR THAT NIGERIA AS THE GIANT OF AFRICA IS HATED BY SOME OTHER AFRICANS WHO ENVY THE BIGGEST BLACK NATION ON EARTH....NIGERIA. IT IS A TRUE SAYING THAT GREATNESS WILL MAKE PEOPLE TO BECOME YOUR ENEMY. CAN EVERYBODY READ THE REACTION OF SOME OTHER AFRICANS TO THE POST I MACE ABOUT NIGERIAN INFANTRY HEROES OF AFRICA ? HATRED WITHOUT A REASON, HATRED AND ENVY AGAINST NIGERIA BY ITS OWN AFRICAN 'BROTHERS' WHOM SHE FOUGHT HARD TO FREE FROM WHITE MAN'S MODERN DAY SLAVERY AND BONDAGE OF OPPRESSION. BLACK MAN, BLACK HEART, WICKED HEART, EVIL HEART.

look here snydergp, i am sure you are not as educated and intelligent as past and present nigerian army chiefs of staff like general dambazau who has a PhD degree, or UN/ECOWAS/AU respected general agwayi who has a masters degree, or current army chief general ihejirika who is a chartered quantity surveyor, those generals have been trained in the best and most expensive military officers academy in USA, BRITAIN, GERMANY, INDIA, ISRAEL, ETC. they chose AK-47 because the general world consensus is that AK-47 is the most reliable comabt rifle for continuous firing in many hours of combat without jamming and for use in dusty and harsh terrain without requiring regular maintenance under battle field pressure.

nigeria today has $50 billion cash reserve in foreign banks, so if we want to but 1 million american M-16 rifles for our army we have the money.

we use what we want after many years of testing other assault rifles that we imported from europe into our armoury since year 1960 to 2012. no rife is perfect, all guns have advantages and disadvantages.

russia is the second most powerful military in the world and they still use AK-47 as standard military rifle. china is third ranked military power in the world and it still uses rifle developed from AK-47 and same does india which is the fourth most powerful military in the world.

nigerian made AK-47 is not the same as the original old type, it has been improved for more combat effectiveness. nigeria is not interested in south african made weapons because most of them have not been used by many countries in real war engagements and so their track record is not yet known, and the south africa that manufactures them does not engage in deadly combat since the bush war ended in 1988, the SANDF have been sitting down making hollywood movie style photos and videos to 'show' military 'capabilities' while they avoid the deadliest and bloodiest combat zones in africa.

hate nigeria or love nigeria, you cannot change it's greatness that God has blessed nigeria with.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:09am On Jan 25, 2013
agaugust:

IT IS NOW VERY CLEAR THAT NIGERIA AS THE GIANT OF AFRICA IS HATED BY SOME OTHER AFRICANS WHO ENVY THE BIGGEST BLACK NATION ON EARTH....NIGERIA. IT IS A TRUE SAYING THAT GREATNESS WILL MAKE PEOPLE TO BECOME YOUR ENEMY. CAN EVERYBODY READ THE REACTION OF SOME OTHER AFRICANS TO THE POST I MACE ABOUT NIGERIAN INFANTRY HEROES OF AFRICA ? HATRED WITHOUT A REASON, HATRED AND ENVY AGAINST NIGERIA BY ITS OWN AFRICAN 'BROTHERS' WHOM SHE FOUGHT HARD TO FREE FROM WHITE MAN'S MODERN DAY SLAVERY AND BONDAGE OF OPPRESSION. BLACK MAN, BLACK HEART, WICKED HEART, EVIL HEART.

look here snydergp, i am sure you are not as educated and intelligent as past and present nigerian army chiefs of staff like general dambazau who has a PhD degree, or UN/ECOWAS/AU respected general agwayi who has a masters degree, or current army chief general ihejirika who is a chartered quantity surveyor, those generals have been trained in the best and most expensive military officers academy in USA, BRITAIN, GERMANY, INDIA, ISRAEL, ETC. they chose AK-47 because the general world consensus is that AK-47 is the most reliable comabt rifle for continuous firing in many hours of combat without jamming and for use in dusty and harsh terrain without requiring regular maintenance under battle field pressure.

nigeria today has $50 billion cash reserve in foreign banks, so if we want to but 1 million american M-16 rifles for our army we have the money.

we use what we want after many years of testing other assault rifles that we imported from europe into our armoury since year 1960 to 2012. no rife is perfect, all guns have advantages and disadvantages.

russia is the second most powerful military in the world and they still use AK-47 as standard military rifle. china is third ranked military power in the world and it still uses rifle developed from AK-47 and same does india which is the fourth most powerful military in the world.

nigerian made AK-47 is not the same as the original old type, it has been improved for more combat effectiveness. nigeria is not interested in south african made weapons because most of them have not been used by many countries in real war engagements and so their track record is not yet known, and the south africa that manufactures them does not engage in deadly combat since the bush war ended in 1988, the SANDF have been sitting down making hollywood movie style photos and videos to 'show' military 'capabilities' while they avoid the deadliest and bloodiest combat zones in africa.

hate nigeria or love nigeria, you cannot change it's greatness that God has blessed nigeria with.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 25, 2013
agaugust:

. Syndergp you don hear!!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:12am On Jan 25, 2013
snydergp:

Firstly u are not the best in africa even the Ethiopian infantry troops are rated higher then naija's AK-47 carrying bandits who left there APV and fled when Sudanese rebbels attacted u and that's a fact.

When it comes to dissipline ur army are way behind, even ur own Nigerian Citizens have commented about ur soldiers treatment of ur own citizens.

Please upgrade those AK-47's ur soldiers are using in Mali to more modern rifles like SANDF's homemade R4 assualt rifles those AK's are good, but lack accurracy and range in DM situations.

Your troops haven't started in direct engagement with rebbels so please let's talk after France has done all the hardwork for u and Ecowas.

Those AK's looks as if ur still a thirdworld rag tag armytongue, and please don't tell ur not using them because the world saw ur army carrying those antique rebbel rowzers.

Buy some of these from SA ur army will look more modern "Mr Giants of Africa", also tell ur solldiers to stop molesting refugees where ever they are deployd including in Nigeria were they regulary beat up old people at check points.

R4's the standard issue rifle for SANDF.

Look at that soldier doesn't he look more equiped and professional then an average NA soldiers

you can hate nigeria or love nigeria, you cannot change it's greatness that God has blessed nigeria with. nigeria is born with greatness attached to its destiny.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:34am On Jan 25, 2013
Leave the mumu south africans make dem continue to dey mumu round nairaland, dey post picture of toy guns. Bunch of illiterate animals, wey run out of zoo.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 3:35am On Jan 25, 2013
Henry120:

Damn, you silly excuse for a human being. I could not careless whatever you are, hell, I did not ask you what you are. Retard......

It's a matter of choice you foo.l, if a past president wants to receive medical attention abroad, that's of his choice, not because of the health system you toad. 70% of your population live in shacks, slums. Animals at kruger national park, live better than 70% of south africans. Who go about raping people, thinking that would change their sexual orientation. South africans be walking around with highest number of people living with hiv/ aids. You bast..ard child.

Your stupid president believes taking your bath after having un protected se.x with an hiv patient prevents you from contacting HIV. How dumb is that. You are as fooli..sh as your president.

You are a cheap worthless DOG. Like I said earlier I do not care what you call the sub standard rifle. You poorly nurtured child. Fuc....k..tard

You should learn how to control your temper because such an outburst will bury you six feet under the ground. I will suggest we keep to the topic and desist from being derailed to other topic such as infrastructure. I read you wrote that 70% of South African live in shacks, how could you stoop so low my fellow African? knowing well that there is no African country that can compete with SA in Africa in terms of infrastructure. South Africa is the only government in Africa that builds low cost houses for its citizens on a large scale free of charge. South Africa is so developed that infact it is now categorised as the mixture of developed and developmental state (hybrid) by the world bank. I know this will make you very confused. America might be considered developed but still it has many ghettos and informal settlements. Gauteng and Western cape in South Africa if they were both considered to be two separate countries they would have been declared developed states. Education and Health system are mainly two concepts that play a major role in determining the developmental state of one country.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 5:03am On Jan 25, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: baba GOD what kind of paradise is not perfect? grin grin tongue shei SA go kill una
so your educational system is not good? well i don't know and don't bother about SA ,as a foreigner your country is a no no. like you said earlier Sa aint perfect so is Nigeria or Cameroon , try to b humble next time you will realize that no one envy you , stop trying to shove in people's throat your supremacist ideas. Don't throw stones when your house is made of glass.
last but not the least SA sure have a good and well equipped/trained army but the value of an army is on the ground.
i rest my case for today if i catch you insulting someone again you go see .why even Africans call you savages cool cool. Have a good night grin grin grin

When did we call SA a parrdis. It a hell of a lot better than the rest of africa but we still got a lot to do.

The eduction sytem is not equal. Some schools and entire provences perform better than others. So depending on where you born depends on how good your public school will be. But we know that there is a problem and are working to fix it.

Why should I be humbel. We the best I know we the best. The millions of ileagals rushing to enter our country is proof we the best. Our wealth is proof we the best. Our streangth is proof. We are a member of G20 and BRICS. We thinking gloabal while the rest of Africa strugel for complet control of there own country. So please why should I be humbel in front of some one from Camaroon. Some back water african country that has achieved nothing.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 5:22am On Jan 25, 2013
agaugust: agaugust:

Why should we enevy you. You have nothing we want. If we had you oi we would be a global power. Your corrupt nation on the brink of collaps is nothing to enevy.

You see that is the point. Most countries useing the AK 47 are to poor to replace it. Nigeria has the money. But only buy fancy gear for the SF. Same for the F7. You could probaly have goten second hand F16 for the same price. There is so much Nigeria could do but they don't.

Russia got rid of the 47 model(actual sooner with the AKM but most 47 are actualy AKM's) in 74 and now use the AK 100 seriers(101 I beilfe is the basic model).
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:40am On Jan 25, 2013
andrewza:

When did we call SA a parrdis. It a hell of a lot better than the rest of africa but we still got a lot to do.

The eduction sytem is not equal. Some schools and entire provences perform better than others. So depending on where you born depends on how good your public school will be. But we know that there is a problem and are working to fix it.

Why should I be humbel. We the best I know we the best. The millions of ileagals rushing to enter our country is proof we the best. Our wealth is proof we the best. Our streangth is proof. We are a member of G20 and BRICS. We thinking gloabal while the rest of Africa strugel for complet control of there own country. So please why should I be humbel in front of some one from Camaroon. Some back water african country that has achieved nothing.

I will flood the thread tomorrow with Caneroon achievements and SA backwardness. You hear, nso zut tongue
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:42am On Jan 25, 2013
Its Caneroon dumbass how dare you scum bag, bastard fucking slave in your own land, you are a shame for every Bantu , tufiakwa I spit on you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:20am On Jan 25, 2013
agaugust:

you can hate nigeria or love nigeria, you cannot change it's greatness that God has blessed nigeria with. nigeria is born with greatness attached to its destiny.

It seems u have a profound hatred for the truth and a complete lack of intellegence.

I'm more educated than ur average NA soldier. I have a Bsc in Mechanical Engineering from WITS and a Bcom Honours spesialising in H.R. If that means uneducated in ur mind please go HANG urselftongue.

Don't talk SH*T here about ur $50bn in reserves, because that money is used by ur Federal Bank for assurance for future payment for goods and services not military u foolish uneducated boy. That money is also used for current account stability and for interventions in ur Naija Currency by ur FG.

Stop ur LIES and Foolishness.

The R4 is battle tested and has a 30 year service history its also inservice in the Ugandan Army.

As I've said before we don't hate Nigeria we just stating the true facts here.

Talking abt SA avoiding battles in africa tell do u know anything abt AU protocols and what happend the last time SANDF intervened in West Africa including the diplomatic spat that followed between ECOWAS leaders and SA. We are in DRC, CAR, Sudan and Burundi.

Tell me are there any NA soldiers in SADC currently NO NO NO, please stop ur Sentimental Rantings u army is a regional power not a African power there's atleast 3 nations that's Ranked Higher than Nigeria in world Rankings on this continent
-Algeria
-South Africa
-Egypt

African Giants my *SS the only reason ur up there is because of numbers on the ground not training standards. If u are that good why do ur Generals go to India and Germany why can't they upskill domestically why do they need a foreign military for training boot camps, don't this clearly show ur lack in certain aspects. U Cannot Fool Everyone All The Time.

U are a miss informed FOOL trying school people who have been on service with ur soldiers "some of them trully good at what they do".

The hole world knows about our respective nations capabilities let them deside.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 25, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Its Caneroon dumbass how dare you scum bag, bastard fucking slave in your own land, you are a shame for every Bantu , tufiakwa I spit on you.

Flood as much as u like it won't make a difference on the infrastructaral developements on the ground.

U call us slaves but ur country can't even function without DONOR AID from FRANCE.

Sincerely now what has ur goverment done for u in the last 20 years compare that to SA then we can have a conversation about our respective nations, YES we have a CRIME, EQUALITY, HIV and a lot of other developmental ISSUES but compare that on Average to Other African Nation interms of Acces to Primary Healthcare, Education, Justice, Acces to Electricity, Water and Sanitation, Housing and Welfare Services.

Go to IMF, UN, World Bank statistics on our respective developemental issues not media sensational reports PLEASE LET'S COMPARE WITH CREDIBLE RELIABLE SOURCES.

http://data.worldbank.org
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 25, 2013
Don't worry I will take care of you tomorrow. Shame on you I weep for shaka and our Bantu ancestors. Bunch of castrated animals, fucking slave in your own land you dare open your mouth here what do you own in SA ,bastards which assets do you have beggars... There will b no mercy
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 25, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Don't I will take care of you tomorrow. Shame on you I weep for shaka and our Bantu ancestors. Bunch of castrated animals, fucking slave in your own land you dare open your mouth here what do you own in SA ,bastards which assets do you have beggars... There will b no mercy
Until their blacks elect a white president, then I'd be fully convinced. @snyerdp, for now, enjoy the moment, boast of all the legacies your colonial masters provided.. I'm out! undecided
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 25, 2013
scipher:
Until their blacks elect a white president, then I'd be fully convinced. for now, enjoy the moment, boast of all the legacies your colonial masters provided.. I'm out! undecided
don't get u
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:30am On Jan 25, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Its Caneroon dumbass how dare you scum bag, bastard fucking slave in your own land, you are a shame for every Bantu , tufiakwa I spit on you.

Actual it is cameroon.

Realy. You got short term memory.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 25, 2013
Its Cameroon dumb ass
andrewza:

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 25, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Don't worry I will take care of you tomorrow. Shame on you I weep for shaka and our Bantu ancestors. Bunch of castrated animals, fucking slave in your own land you dare open your mouth here what do you own in SA ,bastards which assets do you have beggars... There will b no mercy

Me I own two residential properties a Flat and 3 cars, including a small shop and a joint enterprise with two family members, what do u own in cameroon, u in that French colonial outpost.

Ur the only BASTARD here that's why u live in Europe far away from ur sorry *SS shithole country u FUCKTART.

I'm Nolonger going to respond to ur sorry *ss bleepings, because that country of urs where there's only one developed city has nothing on SA.

I'm now leaving untill monday to participate in my monthly SAVAGE RITUALS u C.U.N.Ttongue
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 25, 2013
People are and own everything on NL, m quite surprised you even replied cause I don't give a sh.it . A promise is a debt so don't worry whatever you gon do , reply oooh don't reply oo I will transform this thread to an SA's savagery exposition
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 8:47am On Jan 25, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Its Cameroon dumb ass

Check the spelling you used and you will see you spelled it wrong.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 9:58am On Jan 25, 2013
South Africa's helicopter gift for Mugabe

Fears have surfaced that retired military helicopters from the South African National Defence Force will be used to prop up Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF.

Zimbabwean soldiers take to the skies in an Alouette III chopper. (Aaron Ufumeli)

Craig McKune, Stefaans Brümmer

mg.co.za, Fri 25 Jan 2013 00:00 GMT+2

The South African National Defence Force is about to send a gift of helicopters and spares to its Zimbabwean counterparts, raising the spectre they will be used in a military-backed campaign to put President Robert Mugabe and his Zanu-PF party back in power in polls expected this year.

The Mail & Guardian has seen the confidential minutes of a meeting in Cape Town two months ago between defence chiefs of the two countries.

Under the heading "disposal of Alouette III helicopters and spares", the minutes noted that "the administrative processes in the SANDF have been finalised and the equipment will soon be handed over to the ZDF [Zimbabwe Defence Forces]".

The department of defence confirmed shortly before going to press that "all processes for the disposal have been completed and the airframes and spares are ready for dispatch to that country as a donation".

Zimbabwe is scheduled to hold elections by the end of March, although they are widely expected to be delayed for some months. Apprehension is building in civil society and Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai's Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) that the military will step in, as it did during the violent 2008 presidential run-off to save Mugabe.

The aged but versatile Alouette III, operated by the military in both countries since the 1960s, would be a force multiplier for the ZDF, providing fast access to rural areas.

Zimbabwe is under European and United States weapons sanctions, hampering its air force's efforts to keep its handful of Alouette III and Agusta-Bell light utility helicopters in the air.

Military meddling
The ZDF notoriously stepped in to back Mugabe in the 2008 presidential run-off after the MDC beat Zanu-PF in parliamentary elections. Operation waVhotera Papi (For whom did you vote?) reportedly involved a systematic, brutal crackdown on MDC supporters.

ZDF chief General Constantine Chiwenga openly backs Zanu-PF, and is alleged in media reports and by the MDC to be preparing a campaign to support Zanu-PF's election efforts and to have undermined the current unity government.

The minutes seen by the M&G appear to reflect the ZDF's disdain for power-sharing. The Zimbabwean delegation was quoted as reporting: "The smooth governing of the country remained untenable owing to divergent political ideologies of the political parties in the inclusive government."

The minutes are of the defence committee of the seventh session of the South Africa-Zimbabwe Joint Permanent Commission on Defence and Security, a standing bilateral body. Meeting at Cape Town's Mount Nelson Hotel between November 21 and 23, the committee was co-chaired by South African army chief Lieutenant General Vusi Masondo and his Zimbabwean counterpart, Lieutenant General Philip Valerio Sibanda.

Following allegations that his troops were campaigning for Zanu-PF in rural areas when elections were expected in 2011, Sibanda told the state-owned Herald newspaper: "We have troops in various parts of the country doing training and … assisting in various government departments like health and agriculture. It is unfortunate that we have some people who think that when they see army officers in a particular area ... they are undertaking political activities."

Acquisition spree
More recently, allegations surfaced of the military going on a vehicle shopping spree in anticipation of elections. The Zimbabwe Independent reported in November that the ZDF was buying about 1 000 Isuzu bakkies, complementing Zanu PF's acquisition of 550 cars, the latter "to ensure its officials and foot soldiers reach all corners of the country to mobilise voters".

The quantity of Aloettes airframes and spares to be handed to the ZDF could not be establishedthis week.

The South African Air Force retired its fleet of Alouette IIIs between 2005 and 2007, when they were replaced by Agusta light utility helicopters ordered in the arms deal. The defence department said in Parliament in 2008 that 17 Alouettes had been stripped of their guns and were for sale.

The Zimbabwe arms embargo is not binding on South Africa, because the Russians and Chinese vetoed a 2008 United Nations Security Council attempt to extend sanctions.

No permit
Exports of military hardware from South Africa must be sanctioned by the Cabinet's National Conventional Arms Control Committee (NCACC), chaired by Justice Minister Jeff Radebe. Radebe's spokesperson, Mthunzi Mhaga, said the Alouettes and spares did not "fall within the NCACC's parameters of control" under its enabling legislation.

The NCACC is apparently relying on the classification of the helicopters as "civilian" after their guns were stripped out, though both the giver and the recipient are military.

Modise decided
The defence department on Thursday defended the donation, saying that it stemmed from "a decision that was taken by the former and first minister of defence, Joe Modise, in 1997 when [the Alouettes] were being phased out. How the donation of the spares to the ZDF relate to the forthcoming elections in that country is difficult to understand.

"The SANDF would like to place it on record that it has a bilateral agreement with the Zimbabwe Defence Force and a number of exchanges in various fields between the two defence forces have taken place and will continue."

Zimbabwe army spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Alphious Makotore asked for questions to be physically presented to Colonel Overson Mugwisi based at Zimbabwe Defence House in Harare. For safety reasons, the M&G's Harare correspondent did not do this.

MDC spokesperson Douglas Mwonzora said on Thursday his party was aware of a plot to beef up the military before elections in support of Mugabe.

"The military chiefs have already stated their objectives and who they will back for president.

"In our respectful view the military is political and it is evident that it will neither respect the views of the people, nor recognise an MDC victory in the coming election." – Additional reporting by M&G Harare correspondent

A legend of the skies

The Alouette III helicopter, which has flown Southern African skies for more than half a century, is a utilitarian machine, known for its durability and affectionately called the draadkar, or "wire car" – a comment on its not very fetching appearance.

Developed by the French in the late 1950s, the Alouette debuted in both the South African and Rhodesian militaries in 1962.

Over the next two decades, the South African Air Force purchased 118 of them, and the Rhodesian Air Force Alouette fleet grew to an estimated 47. When the South African fleet was being retired in 2007, SAAirforce.co.za effusively described it as "a legend in the South African Air Force. Doing all it was asked and more, this amazing helicopter served for 44 years and the fleet flew more than 346 000 hours.

"The Alouette III will be remembered for its durability in the challenging African environment ... It was loved by its pilots and crew, feared by its enemies and regarded as a saviour by those it rescued from a mountain ledge or a flood-devastated area."

Among the many missions over the decades, South Africa's Alouettes were used in the Angolan and Rhodesian bush wars, alongside Rhodesia's machines in the latter case.

Zimbabwe used them during the war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo between 1998 and 2003. A number were reportedly shot down or written off. President Robert Mugabe's forces were left hungry for spares. But the arms embargoes made replacements hard to come by. – Craig McKune
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 10:17am On Jan 25, 2013
That was a clear evidence that South Africa does not have anything to do with outdated military equipment.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 11:45am On Jan 25, 2013
agaugust:

Wrong- many countries ( Russia, China, India, etc) have moved away from standard AK47 and are now using type 56 assault riffles, which is the modified copy of AK47 with a folded butt, resembling that of R4 and R5. Many African countries including Nigeria are still stuck to the old AK47. I am speaking this from experience that I had in DRC from Oct 2004-May2005 wherein were deployed with small contingents from Nigeria, India and Bangladesh ( majority of whom were MPs) and the former was using an old standard AK 47s while the latter (India and Bangladesh) were carrying the latest type 56. I know the truth hurts my friend, but what you have said is untrue. There is no way that Nigeria would ever modify AK 47 because you will never hear of that anywhere. Stop fabricating lies because Nigeria will still require licence to modify AK47 and it has to be done under public domain. I have never heard of any assault rifle ever made in Nigeria.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 11:47am On Jan 25, 2013
agaugust:

Wrong- many countries ( Russia, China, India, etc) have moved away from standard AK47 and are now using type 56 assault riffles, which is the modified gas-operated copy of AK47 with a folded butt, resembling that of R4 and R5. Many African countries including Nigeria are still stuck to the old AK47. I am speaking this from experience that I had in DRC from Oct 2004-May2005 wherein were deployed with small contingents from Nigeria, India and Bangladesh ( majority of whom were MPs) and the former was using an old standard AK 47s while the latter (India and Bangladesh) were carrying the latest type 56. I know the truth hurts my friend, but what you have said is untrue. There is no way that Nigeria would ever modify AK 47 because you will never hear of that anywhere. Stop fabricating lies because Nigeria will still require licence to modify AK47 and it has to be done under public domain. I have never heard of any assault rifle ever made in Nigeria. You like it or not, this is the truth.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:00pm On Jan 25, 2013
Actualy the AK47 was never liscened meaning any body can make a copy and just call it somthing els. Hence Kalshnicov is still only living on a army pension and is not trioloner. The new once are liscened. The typ 56 is the chines option. Russia dose not use it they got the AK100s
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nigeria also widely use the chinese type 56. The thing is the military, especially the army still use the AK-47/ AKM.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 25, 2013
The police in nigeria use the type 56 which is an improved version of the AK-47 while the army still use the ak-47/ akm.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 2:17pm On Jan 25, 2013
I don't know what will aguagust say about this, who is always ranting about Nigeria Army of never been defeated in War?

The Road To Somalia: Nigerian Army's Defeat In The Niger-Delta

July 16, 2009 - 00:00 — siteadmin

A few years ago, the American intelligence community took a hard look at Nigeria and predicted her demise.  At the time, the “Pharaohs” masquerading as leaders in Aso rock choose to play the Ostrich by burying their head in the sand. They lampooned the Americans for daring to state the obvious.  Yet, events since then have continued to validate the grim prognosis for Nigeria as predicted by the American intelligence community as the nation has increasingly been mired in crisis after crisis.

The ongoing Guerrilla warfare in the Niger-Delta represents some of the last acts in Nigeria’s final descent into the abyss. Not minding the noise about the offer of amnesty emanating from a crassly incompetent federal government, the reality remains that the Nigerian army now stands defeated in the Niger- Delta. More than anything else, the successful crippling of the oil industry and the extension of the attack to Lagos signals the defeat of the Nigerian army. The offer of amnesty is a face saving gesture from a defeated federal government and her infamous army. Knowing the true character of the Nigerian army whose only achievement in its entire history is the raping and massacre of unarmed Nigerians and the pillaging of whole communities, only the reality of defeat could make them offer an amnesty.

The defeat of the army is both welcome and predictable. It is an army that has never reflected professionalism, nor the finer virtues of soldiering; it is instead a vastly corrupt mediocre establishment that represents the narrow ethnic interests of the Northern oligarchy.  During the Biafra-Nigeria war, the Nigerian army in spite of a vast armada of limitless sophisticated weapons and superiority in numbers could not defeat a mostly unarmed, rag-tag Biafran Army for three years in full scale frontal (not guerrilla) conflict. In Sierra Leone and Liberia, the Nigerian army was on many occasions disgraced beyond belief by rag-tag rebels. A lazy, incompetent and politicised ethnic organisation that can hardly prevail in any battle, the Nigerian army also stands solely responsible for the injustices, marginalisation, domination, misrule and corruption that have brought the nation on the road to Somalia and inevitable disintegration.

Though the “Northern” army succeeded in deceiving the world and other non discerning Nigerians into helping them to fight for a so called “one Nigeria,” in reality the army which in the main represented and still represents the interests of the North never believed in Nigeria beyond the crude oil resources as events since the end of the war has proven. It should therefore come as no surprise that the same army has played the greatest role in the destruction of Nigeria. Since the end of the Biafra-Nigeria war, the Northern army  has subsequently unleashed a massive criminal looting  of the nations coffers,  erected an “ethnic cold war,” introduced  lopsided structures that favour  the North  and pursued outright policies of exclusion and domination that has created the cancer that is presently tearing down the nation. 

No nation founded on fraud, sustained by force rather than by mutual consent and premised on injustice can survive. All such nations have historically collapsed, and Nigeria inevitably stands in line to join the long list of such decapitated nations. Already ranked 15th in the list of failed states where she shamefully jostles for space with nations such as Afghanistan and Somalia, familiar sights of gun totting hoodlums randomly shooting on the streets of lawless Somalia will sooner become a permanent feature of the Nigerian landscape.

With the increasing availability of general purpose machine guns (GPMG), rocket propelled grenades, dynamites and the technology for the manufacture of improvised explosive devices (IED) amongst others, Nigeria has entered the fast track route to Somalia. It is the inevitable price of long years of rapacious Northern military and civilian misrule, injustice, arrogance, marginalisation, exploitation, monumental corruption and domination. Barring a miracle, it will not be too long before we render a requiem mass for a nation that only offered her supposed citizens penury, oppression and death.  Somalia here we come!

Comrade Lawrence Chinedu Nwobu

Email: lawrencenwobu@yahoo.com
http://mobile.saharareporters.com/article/road-somalia-nigerian-armys-defeat-niger-delta
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 25, 2013
Saharareporters.com is a phony, filled with lies , half truth and blatant misinformation. like wikipedia, it is not a reliable source for information.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 2:48pm On Jan 25, 2013
What is $50 billion doing in reserve in foreign banks while there is this crisis?

Nigerian Army ill-equipped to fight terrorism, Boko Haram’

Written by Adebayo Waheed

| Print | E-mail

Monday, 11 June 2012

Participants at the Commanding Officers’ Workshop 2012 have identified ill-equipped and lack of adequately trained personnel for counter terrorism as reasons terrorist acts and Boko Haram insurgency continue unabated in the country.

The participants, drawn from the Nigerian Army formations across the country, in a communiqué issued at the end of the five-day workshop with the theme:"Enhancing the Capacity of Unit Commanders to meet Contemporary Challenges to the Nigerian Army" held at the 2 Division Headquarters, Adekunle Fajuyi Cantonment, Odogbo, Ibadan, Oyo State on Friday, stressed the need for focused training to effectively combat and subdue the Boko Haram menace since it had been identified as "a  threat the Nigerian Army was not adequately trained and equipped to handle."

They urged authorities of the Nigerian Army to focus on combined inter-agency training on internal security operations.

The communiqué, which was read on behalf of the participants by Colonel Taiwo Durowaye of 302 Artillery General Support Regiment, also identified terrorism as a phenomenon the army was not adequately trained and equipped to handle.

According to the communiqué, terrorism exists and operates successfully in Nigeria hence, a threat the Nigerian Army must confront by ensuring that units deployed for counter terrorism tasks are reinforced with at least a platoon of counter terrorist trained personnel for special operations.

To this end, the unit commanders were advised to cultivate mutual trust and camaraderie with other agencies operating in their respective formations.

The communiqué also highlighted the art of winning the hearts and minds of the local populace as an important factor in combating the current security challenges in the country.

It urged the commanding officers to maintain good civil-military relations with communities in their respective areas of operations to enhance information gathering and success in operations.

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-rim&hl=en&q=Nigerian%20Army%20is%20ill%20equipped%20to%20fight%20Boko%20Haram&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&channel=browser

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-rim&hl=en&q=Nigerian%20Army%20is%20ill%20equipped%20to%20fight%20Boko%20Haram&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&channel=browser

I hope they are more than enough and speak of the same thing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.