Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,672 members, 7,962,173 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 04:26 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (670) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4533337 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (667) (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kwametut: 3:35pm On Aug 21, 2013
OOOOOPS IT LOOKS LIKE BOON Colynzo SKIPPED THE PAGE. BACK TO PAGE 1. grin grin grin grin

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 3:36pm On Aug 21, 2013
kwame tut: Next STORY Colynzo, keep READING FOR THE HUMANS OOOO. grin grin grin grin grin

Was it cute in the beginning or has it always been this pathetic?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by collynzo2(m): 3:36pm On Aug 21, 2013
So, this year marks the 20th anniversary of Nelson Mandela's freedom.
He must be so proud of what he helped achieve.
I'm sure he spent all his time in prison dreaming that one day, his country would be the murder and rapè capital of the world.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 3:37pm On Aug 21, 2013
kwame tut: OOOOOPS IT LOOKS LIKE BOON Colynzo SKIPPED THE PAGE. BACK TO PAGE 1. grin grin grin grin

Oh, did he?

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by collynzo2(m): 3:40pm On Aug 21, 2013
I dont get what's so great about Nelson Mandela.
He was a convicted terrorist who served
his sentence to the full and was released...
I've heard of child abusers and rapîsts who've
done the exact same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 3:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
@Playmode being honest.

___

Thank you all for your input. It is not my intention to offend anyone or to belittle Nigeria. I am very passionate about my homeland that is why i am here. I don't have any worry in the world as i live comfortably in SA and get the opportunity to tour southern Africa on business trips. I can choose to ignore the situation in Nigeria but i was not brought up that way. I am a patriotic Nigerian and no matter how beautiful and comfortable SA is , I will always love my country, that is why i am criticizing it. I am actually jealous of SA,I don’t see any reason why Nigeria should not be more developed than SA. Everyday I see how ordinary South Africans insult Niegria in my presence and call it a ghetto, how do you think that makes me feel. I can hardly defend Nigeria because truth be told ,Nigeria sucks big time especially in 2011 when all this so called 3rd countries have evolved.

I have read a lot of comments here , some of them make sense while some are just blind patriotism. I disagree with some of you who feel that it is because these countries have whites that they are doing well. That is an inferiority complex mentality. Are you saying we black people are so dumb ,we can’t rule ourselves?

We don’t need white people to have a disciplined and developed country. Is there a white person in Fashola’s cabinet ? No! It ia all about true patriotism , honesty ,discipline and the love of the people and the land. Fashola chose to lead the right way,no white person influenced him to do so,it was his personal decision.

How come the UAE is developing it’s skyline at a rapid rate?The sheik makes the decisions and he is ARAB. Nigeria and the UAE get roughly the same income from oil , how come they are light years ahead of us. Nigeria is the way it not because we don’t have white people but because we have moronic baboons as leaders. Jonathief is a scam artist and he won’t have achieved anything by 2015.MARK MY WORDS.I still don’t know why many of you make excuses for him ,he has been in Government for close to 5 years, what has his impact being? Zero ,Zilch! This is the same man whose wife was arrested by the Efcc with briefcases full of dollars at the airport ,what happened to that case? NADA!

We as Nigerians are selfish and corrupt that is why we can accept Jonathief as a messiah when we all know deep down in our hearts that he is a P I M P styled criminal who should be shot at the stake for treason against the federal republic of Nigeria alongside his pals ,babangida and atiku. Very soon you will see babangida at jonathief’s side smiling all the way. We are being dribbled by the PDP hence I have nicknamed “oga jonathan” aka “Lionie Messi”! Time will prove me right, Jonathief is too corrupt to prove me wrong. I expect the worst leadership from him in the next 4 years. More white elephant projects and more embezzlement which is the legacy of the Peoples deceiving party.With a population of 150 million and a military force less than 1 million ,how can we be so scared to take the Government head on. How many people are the soldiers going to shoot. Imagine we start a mass rally in every state and everybody refuses to go to work. We mobilize on the street and block the roads ,all of us together rich and poor ,young and old and we demand that the PDP step down. We also use social media like facebook and twitter to voice our frustration to the world. Jonathief and his cronies will bolt in to exile. We can do it ,we are just to selfish to do it.

Remember Fela’s song : “I no want die ,I get 2 child ,I 4 wives,I get one mother” Na Policeman go slap your face myou no go talk,Army man go whip you yansh you go dey look like donkey”

We have to change our mindset and make the Government ,The Army and The police fear the people of Nigeria.

I know many of you at this point will say why i am not doing it myself. Trust me I have started mobilizing my peers especially those in SA,I am planning on going back and causing a lot of trouble for the government and by trouble I mean mass rallies going to mobilize the university students, I was a student of LASU and I have still some rep there. It takes one person to start.

I have already paid a website designer to build me a blog and a political website where I will make video speeches and motivate the youths to cause sever civil disobedience. I am also planning on starting a movement that will be geared towards youth revolution. This movement will also double as a political party. When the time is right , I will reveal my identity and damn the consequences. On my political website , I will challenge Jonathan to face me in a video debate that other Nigerians can tune in to. I know Jonathief has no idea on how to run a country and I will floor him within a few minutes into the debate. All he know is how to share the loot.Having studied him in his interview with Aisha Sesea of CNN ,I realised that this i.d.i.o.t is extremely clueless about what he has to do to move Nigeria forward. All he is good at doing is making empty promises without having any solid plans or strategy to back them up. A guy as cluless as jonathief cannot even win a legislative seat in the USA talkless of being president.

I left Nigeria to become successful , I have already achieved that ,now I have to move on the next phase in my life which is freeing my people from modern day slavery. I know i might get killed in the process but I hope that by the time I die I would have sparked an unstoppable revolution that will bring about the kind of change currently experienced in Ghana.

I built my business empire from scratch with a mere $1000 because I am a go getter I don’t believe in luck. Luck is for lazy people. I also don’t believe in “GOD will save us” ,I belive in “God only helps those who help themselves”. If we don’t boot out the PDP we are in for another 4 years of slavery.

Another thing I don’t like is when Nigerians try to compare Nigeria to worse off countries like Cameroon. Why are you doing that ? Do you envy Cameroon? It is like someone who has cancer saying that he is better than someone with HIV! You should be comparing Nigeria to SA.SA is an African Gem and generate less daily income than Nigeria but the country is solid like any western country. Do you know that SA beats UK hands down in terms of infrastructure and skyline beauty? Uk has predominantly gothic styled buildings while SA has modern styled buildings. Nigeria has been independent for 50 Zap.i.ng years. We moved from being the GIANT of Africa to being the dwarf of Africa in 2 decades. I was doing an investment opportunities research on Eritrea recently and I was shocked to see how clean and infrastructural sound the country was. Google Eritrea images, you will be shocked. With all the money we make in Nigeria , Nigeria is still flipping dirty and the air smells bad.

I don’t see Nigeria as a 3rd world country because 3rd world countries are Philippines ,South Africa , Vietnam ,Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia e.t.c Nigeria on the other and can be referred to as a 4th world country especially when you compare it’s current infrastructure ,education standards,citizens social welfare and medical facilities to those countries.

Do you know that the Nigerian property market is crap? Let me elaborate. I was planning on buying land in lekki and building a home but was discouraged when the agent told me that the land was N15 million. I was like , what d pfuck,N15 mill for a flimsy piece of land .N15 million can buy you a full house in an upmarket suburb in SA. That is ridiculous! Properties in Lagos, Nigeria are ridiculously overpriced and to make matters worse 90% of these properties are poorly built with substandard materials. If you look at homes in lekki ikoyi and VI, some of them have outer walls that are not straight, the pillars are usually bent slightly and the doors are always fitted in a rough manner not to mention poorly planned drainage systems. This same crappy house will be priced at N100 million .The annoying thing is that they are even selling ugly SEMI detached duplexes in Nigeria for N100 mill which is equal to R5 million rands(south African currency).Why the Zap will I want to buy a SEMI for N100 million when I can buy a full mansion in an exclusive Golf Estate in SA for less than that?

Now let me show you what type of house you will buy in Johannesburg for just N60 Million Naira(R3 Million Rands) including furniture and this is just the asking price.

Just take a look at the pics below:
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by collynzo2(m): 3:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
Victims of Mandela's terrorist bombing in 1983

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2013
collynzo2: Victims of Mandela's terrorist bombing in 1983

Tired of the jokes? grin grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by collynzo2(m): 3:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
South Africans worship a terrorist....more Mandela victims
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by swankyvodamail: 4:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
kwame tut: [b]For other uses, see Cradle of Humankind (disambiguation).

Coordinates: 25.96716°S 27.66245°E
UNESCO World Heritage Site Fossil Hominid Sites of Sterkfontein, Swartkrans, Kromdraai, and Environs
Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List
Cradle of Humankind is located in South Africa
Cradle of Humankind
Country South Africa
Type Cultural
Criteria iii, vi
Reference 915
UNESCO region Africa
Inscription history
Inscription 1999 (23rd Session)
Extensions 2005

The Cradle of Humankind is a World Heritage Site first named by UNESCO in 1999, about 50 kilometres northwest of Johannesburg, South Africa in the Gauteng province. This site currently occupies 47,000 hectares (180 sq mi);[1] it contains a complex of limestone caves, including the Sterkfontein Caves, where the 2.3-million year-old fossil Australopithecus africanus (nicknamed "Mrs. Ples"wink was found in 1947 by Dr. Robert Broom and John T. Robinson. The find helped corroborate the 1924 discovery of the juvenile Australopithecus africanus skull, "Taung Child", by Raymond Dart, at Taung in the North West Province of South Africa, where excavations still continue.

The name Cradle of Humankind reflects the fact that the site has produced a large number, as well as some of the oldest, hominin fossils ever found, some dating back as far as 3.5 million years ago.[2] Sterkfontein alone has produced more than a third of early hominid fossils ever found.[3]
Contents

1 History of discoveries
1.1 Sites
2 Geological context
3 Visitor centres
4 See also
5 References
6 External links

History of discoveries
Australopithecus africanus (Hominid Reconstruction).

In 1935 Robert Broom found the first ape-man fossils at Sterkfontein and began work at this site. In 1938 a young schoolboy, Gert Terrblanche, brought Raymond Dart fragments of a skull from nearby Kromdraai which later were identified as Paranthropus robustus. Also in 1938 a single ape-man tooth was found at the Cooper's site between Kromdraai and Sterkfontein. In 1948 the Camp-Peabody Expedition from the United States worked at Bolts Farm and Gladysvale looking for fossil hominids but failed to find any. Later in 1948 Robert Broom identified the first hominid remains from Swartkrans cave. In 1954 C.K. Brain began working at sites in the Cradle including Coopers and he soon would initiate his three decade work at Swartkrans cave which would result in the recovery of the second largest sample of hominid remains from the Cradle. The oldest controlled use of fire was also discovered at Swartkrans and dated to over 1 million years ago.

In 1966 Phillip Tobias began his excavations of Sterkfontein which are still continuing and are the longest continuously running fossil excavations in the world. In 1991 Lee Berger of the University of the Witwatersrand discovered the first hominid specimens from the Gladysvale site making this the first new early hominid site to be discovered in South Africa in 48 years. In 1994 Andre Keyser discovered fossil hominids at the site of Drimolen. In 1997 Kevin Kuykendall and Colin Menter of the University of the Witwatersrand found two fossil hominid teeth at the site of Gondolin. Also in 1997, the near-complete Australopithecus skeleton of "Little Foot", dating to around 3.3 million years ago (although more recent dates suggest it is closer to 2.5 million years ago), was discovered by Ron Clarke. In 2001 Steve Churchill of Duke University and Lee Berger found early modern human remains at Plovers Lake. Also in 2001 the first hominid fossils and stone tools were discovered in-situ at Coopers. In 2010, Lee Berger discovered the partial remains of two hominids (Australopithecus sediba) in the Malapa Fossil Site that lived between 1.78 and 1.95 million years ago.[/b]
after that we created a Zoo called nigeria and we keep it there
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by nachrisbedis: 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:
still you have not answered thiza's question why did you live your country?

to track your mother's pu*sy and f*ck it better than your father could.

Does that count?

FYI.. Am typing this in my well spaced office in Naija. Gbabe Id1ot

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by swankyvodamail: 5:18pm On Aug 21, 2013
na_chris_be_dis:

to track your mother's pu*sy and f*ck it better than your father could.

Does that count?

FYI.. Am typing this in my well spaced office in Naija. Gbabe Id1ot

oh I see a brother getting hot under the collar what it is so difficult to answer a very simple question so you choose to be vulger just answer the question please no vulger
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 7:11pm On Aug 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:
oh I see a brother getting hot under the collar what it is so difficult to answer a very simple question so you choose to be vulger just answer the question please no vulger

Hahaha - a fustrated Naai-gerian monkey, lashing out on Swanky. cheesy
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
collynzo2: I dont get what's so great about Nelson Mandela.
He was a convicted terrorist who served
his sentence to the full and was released...
I've heard of child abusers and rapîsts who've
done the exact same thing.

true talk my brother. that's why we are still angry at our governments for supporting the terrorist. now they are sympathetic to boko haram.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:

getting hot? haha.. i hardly read what the ghanian baboon writes, i just included CrabB. seeing that you have clearly not made any meaningful statement since you decided to let lose your dead brain. i just included you.

common, seriously, the only reason i would leave Naija right now is to f*ck your mother like i do to my other bitches. i bet she'll appreciate it grin grin

aside from that, am having fun in my homeland
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 7:24pm On Aug 21, 2013
chris365:

true talk my brother. that's why we are still angry at our governments for supporting the terrorist. now they are sympathetic to boko haram.

Boko Haram is made up of Naai-gerian monkeys. Not aliens from outer space. In the end, it is Naai-gerian against Naai-gerian. Therefore, your troubles are self-made. Leave others out of your uselessness. wink
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2013
National Budget of countries in terms of expenditure.

NIGERIA: $27.87 billion- This budget here is what will buy Agaugust most wanted weapons

SOUTH AFRICA: $117.8 billion

GHANA: $14.13 billion

ALGERIA: $84.82 billion

ANGOLA: $44.23 billion

IVORY COAST: $6.062 billion

LIBYA: $35.07 billion

MOROCCO: $33.29 billion

ARGENTINA: $133.6 billion

BRAZIL: $822.1 billion

AUSTRALIA: $541 billion

CUBA: $50.45 billion

EGYPT: $77.69 billion

SINGAPORE :$43.44 billion

INDIA: $267.7 billion

IRAQ: $88.34 billion

ITALY: $1.034 trillion

SAUDI ARABIA: $234.8 billion

CHINA: $1.992 trillion

FRANCE: $1.48 trillion

GERMANY: $1.53 trillion

JAPAN: $2.591 trillion

USA: $3.538 trillion

SOME STATES IN USA

NEW YORK: $135.1 billion

TEXAS: $156.4 billion

CARLIFONIA: $232.9 billion

SOURCE: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2056.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by swankyvodamail: 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2013
chris365:

No we are not sympathetic to BH just wonder how come the so called strongest military are being blikssemed so easily by a rag tag bunch of terrorist it just shows that your army is a paper tiger nothing more if you can't beat BH it just show that your army does not have intellingency garthering expertise or they are badly equipty or are underfunded or worse they have deplected their fund through corruption maybe some of them own properties in SA
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:59pm On Aug 21, 2013
collynzo2: My PC takes such a long time to shut down I've
decided to call it Nelson Mandela.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin this one's damn funny

dude's still enjoying the fraud they call hero grin

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GeneralJ(m): 7:59pm On Aug 21, 2013
How did this thread turn from military to racial bashing

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2013
GeneralJ: How did this thread turn from military to racial bashing

When Thiza posted his first picture of South African products.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 8:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:
No we are nott sympathetic to BH just wonder how come the so called strongest military are being blikssemed so easily by a rag tag bunch of terrorist it just shows that your army is a paper tiger nothing more if you can't BH it just show that your army does not have intellingency garthering expertise or they are badly equipty or are underfunded or worse they have depletedy their fund through corruption maybe some of them own properties in SA

you just sounded like a drunk dude that was kicked out of a bar i was at after work yesterday. was it not a rag tag bandits that kicked your military out of CAR never to return? if terrorism was easily dealt with, why didn't British military just snap their fingers for IRA to disappear instead of fighting them for about 20 years huh?

why is US packing their bags to run out of Afghanistan like they did in Iraq since all the equipment they are using to fight Taliban is enough to destroy SA in 2 days?

Russia is still fighting chechen rebels after decades but still remain the second best military in the world. what the f*ck do you even know about fighting terrorism? why couldn't SADF snap their fingers for mandela's terrorists to just disappear instead of negotiating to handover the country to the ANC terrorist group. grin grin

Boko haram came with tactics which Nigerian military was new to(counter terrorism). just in 2 years, the military has adapted, killed almost all their leaders, reduced suicide attacks to once in a blue moon, located and destroyed all their training facilities and now many of them have fled to cameroon (oh i pity cameroonpride when they'll turn their frustration on them grin) and you call that lack of intelligence?

so what should i say about SANDF inability to stop common poachers? as Msausa said, the poachers only use injections grin

you should stay away from drinking alcohol cos you already have the brain of a drunk grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by swankyvodamail: 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
chris365:

you just sounded like a drunk dude that was kicked out of a bar i was at after work yesterday. was it not a rag tag bandits that kicked your military out of CAR never to return? if terrorism was easily dealt with, why didn't British military just snap their fingers for IRA to disappear instead of fighting them for about 20 years huh?

why is US packing their bags to run out of Afghanistan like they did in Iraq since all the equipment they are using to fight Taliban is enough to destroy SA in 2 days?

Russia is still fighting chechen rebels after decades but still remain the second best military in the world. what the f*ck do you even know about fighting terrorism? why couldn't SADF snap their fingers for mandela's terrorists to just disappear instead of negotiating to handover the country to the ANC terrorist group. grin grin

Boko haram came with tactics which Nigerian military was new to(counter terrorism). just in 2 years, the military has adapted, killed almost all their leaders, reduced suicide attacks to once in a blue moon, located and destroyed all their training facilities and now many of them have fled to cameroon (oh i pity cameroonpride when they'll turn their frustration on them grin) and you call that lack of intelligence?

you should stay away from drinking alcohol cos you already have the brain of a drunk grin
fact remain your army has been exposed to be weak just strong on paper second SANDF was not kicked out of CAR it was a cabinet decision which decided for the army to pull out thirdly SANDF did not went to CAR to fight any terrorist org but to train the army of that Republic I hope I have enlighted your brain after all I forget you live in darkness like bart and you sound so high maybe you inhaled so much diesel fumes so you are not thinking straight or you just taken your dog meal that's why you bark endlessy well I forgive you
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2013
They have no story and no country.Badliwa umona lamagwala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmm-aazQQKA
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:
fact remain your army has been exposed to be weak just strong on paper second SANDF was not kicked out of CAR it was a cabinet decision which decided for the army to pull out thirdly SANDF did not went to CAR to fight any terrorist org but to train the army of that Republic I hope I have enlighted your brain after all I forget you live in darkness like bart and you sound so high maybe you inhaled so much diesel fumes so you are not thinking straight or you just taken your dog meal that's why you bark endlessy well I forgive you

yep.. talked like a true drunk. fact is SANDF weakness was well exposed by rag tag bandits in CAR, no mater the flimsy and stup1d excuses you all come up with. like it or not. dumbo grin

just look around africa and ask which country respects your military. even M23 rubbished you that your strike force will just die for nothing. Since when they deployed we've not heard one gunshot from your fearful army while M23 is on rampage. losers

even zimbabwe will invade SA. your comrades have attested to it. grin

enlighten me? surely you are aware your brain needs a proper reeducation cos that's what you have managed to display here.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
Die*Vluit:
They have no story and no country.Badliwa umona lamagwala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmm-aazQQKA

see this baboon grin

all internationally recognized Nigerian legends are recognized for their brains and hard work. not ex convicts and terrorist activities. Mandela is a big fraud. grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 9:17pm On Aug 21, 2013
They have no country. They have no story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=useSBNolZds
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 9:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
They have nothing. No story. No knowledge of self. No consciousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIe7wQ_YX7Y
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 9:22pm On Aug 21, 2013
"Make noise for Zulus in the building" _ Wyclef Jean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h269FLGxopE
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 9:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
If Mandela Were A Nigerian By Okey Ndibe

If Nelson Mandela were a Nigerian, he would never be treated in a hospital within his country. God forbid! At the slightest sign of ill health, he would be airlifted to a hospital in Germany, the UK, the US, France, or Saudi Arabia. Any Nigerian doctor who comes close to him – much less touches him – would immediately be arrested and charged with treason. An SSS interrogator would ask the hapless doctor, “You dey craze? So you wan kill de man?”

If Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, not only would he be in a foreign hospital, he would commandeer an entire wing of the said hospital. No government official would ever give Nigerians updates on his progress or prognosis. Hell, no! In fact, the only statement the government would ever issue is to deny that the man is hospitalized. Some spokesman would insist that the old man went abroad on vacation, to get some well deserved rest. You see, Nigerian officials – from the president down to the municipal chairman – are fond of boasting that they’ve “totally transformed” Nigeria, this or that state, or this local government area or another. Yet the last thing these human transformers would ever do is take a vacation in the country they’ve ostensibly transformed!

If Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, a league of pastors and imams would take to the press each day to tell us what “God” allegedly told them about the man’s condition. One pastor – or imam – would say God told him to warn Nigerians to pray interminably and fast furiously to ensure the ailing elder’s survival. Another would declaim that God confided in him that Mr. Mandela did not hearken to some divine instruction – and so was put on Saint Peter’s list of guests to expect at the pearly gates. Yet another imam – or pastor – would declare that a clique of witches and wizards had descended on the sick man, determined to doom him. If he’s to survive, he must personally contact the clairvoyant imam or pastor to receive special instructions on how to win the spiritual warfare.

Mr. Mandela is a man of comfortable means. He made a modest fortune from advances and royalties on books as well as earnings from his work as a widely sought, handsomely rewarded speaker on lecture circuits. He also received a Nobel Peace Prize that came with a handsome sum. In a word, he’s worked – and worked hard – for his money.

Now, if Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, he would be considered a capital fool for working at all to earn money. To work hard would make him nothing less than a mumu, a Nigerian parlance that suggests somebody is a step or two worse than a fool. No, he would simply announce himself, Obasanjo- or Anenih-like, as a major “stakeholder.” And then, pronto, some currency tap would start gushing cash onto the deep pockets of his agbada. (Which reminds me: if Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, he would not be permitted to sport those silly shirts he’s seen in. With those shirts, who’s going to be able to tell oga apart from his houseboys? He must exchange them for an endless line of lavishly embroidered agbada, accentuating his image as a human god).

If Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, he would have enough cash stashed away in foreign vaults to make the Forbes list of the world’s billionaires. Heck, Nigerian civil servants who manage pension funds are billionaires! Yet – like most Nigerian billionaires – he would not be in a haste to alert the editors of Forbes to the size of his assets. Heh, it’s not worth the trouble; who wants to be playing hide-and-seek with armed robbers and kidnappers? He may not confide in Forbes, but a Nigerian Mandela would be the proud owner of numerous oil blocks. He would be entitled to a “security vote” that nets him, at least, a billion naira per month. He would own mansions in several European capitals and resort locations. He would own private jets, his own private army (otherwise known as thugs), a university or two, a private cathedral or mosque, controlling shares in several banks, and enough high-priced cars to run an automobile dealership.

Mr. Mandela is an enlightened man, a towering moral figure who commands respect around the world, a lawyer, author and reader. Yes, he has the stamina to put in the months and years it takes to write a book. And he is capable of staying still for hours or days to read book. If he were a Nigerian big man, he’d love to have a book or two to his name – but the content would be cliché-riddled speeches written by bored, ill-educated and often cynical amanuenses. As for reading a book, perish the thought! A friend of mine once told a joke about one of Nigeria’s illiterate moneymen. According to him, this mind-ravaged rich man laughed at people who, behind his back, whispered that he was unlettered. “I can read,” said the traduced businessman. “I only care to read the amount on my checks!” That’s what a Nigerian Mandela would learn to do.

If the legendary Mandela were a Nigerian, he would not be addressed simply as Mister. On Mandela’s first visit to Nigeria, he was awarded an honorary doctorate degree by – if my memory serves me – the University of Maiduguri. Since then, Nigerian newspapers and magazines as well as broadcast media have taken to addressing the global icon as “Dr.” Mandela. In the Nigerian media’s imagination, by bestowing the prefix “doctor” on Mandela, they have somehow enhanced the man’s standing in the world. What would the man be without this generous beneficence from Nigeria by way of Maiduguri?

It’s conventional wisdom in Nigeria that titles, however hollow, matter. In many quarters, the quality of a person’s mind is of no consequence. What matters is self-advertisement, buttressed shamelessly in the adornment of antiquated, silly honorifics. So we went from addressing people as Chief (which has no meaning, really) to calling them High Chief, Double Chief, or Double High Chief – terms that inspire embarrassment on behalf of those who flaunt them. If Mandela were Nigerian, he would be identified as Triple High Chief (Sir) Barrister Nelson Mandela, GCFR, Tigbuo Zogbuo 1 of Igboland, Aare Baba Dudu 1 of Yorubaland, Alhaji Magajin Biu 1 of Hausaland, etc, etc. He would be overfed, weaned off his sprite, sportsman’s physique. With his kind of figure – a flat belly and all – you can’t even aspire to become a local government councilor in Nigeria! Day and night, his staff and harem would ply him with pomo stew, cow leg pepper soup, pounded yam and egusi washed down with six bottles of lager per session – until he’s appropriately fattened.

If Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, his claim to being a hero would be put to the ethnic test. Only members of his ethnic group would consider him an exemplary man. To others, he would be an object of ambivalent response: a hero today, a villain tomorrow, depending on what he’s said on what issue.

If Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, he would never have spent more than one week in prison. Why, the traditional rulers from his district would have gone as a delegation to his jailers, apologized on his behalf for his unruly opposition to the apartheid machinery and pledged that they would ensure that he show appropriate respect to constituted authority. He would then be released – cameras clicking to capture the moment – to the “royal fathers,” guarantors of his docility, quiescence and submission to the powers-that-be.

If Mr. Mandela were a Nigerian, he would not be an ex-president, but a president-for-life. His kinsmen would have hired a dibia, babalawo or malam to cure his “madness” when he decided to step aside after only one term as president. A Nigerian Mandela would not be subject to any constitutional limits on presidential terms; the constitution would be subject to him. Any part of the constitution that runs counter to his whims and caprices would be instantly amended or – better still – ignored.

To make a short story long, if Mandela were a Nigerian, then the man and his stupendous moral capital would not exist!

Please follow me on twitter @ okeyndibe
(okeyndibe@gmail.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrMJIqUnql8
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by swankyvodamail: 9:32pm On Aug 21, 2013
chris365:

yep.. talked like a true drunk. fact is SANDF weakness was well exposed by rag tag bandits in CAR, no mater the flimsy and stup1d excuses you all come up with. like it or not. dumbo grin

just look around africa and ask which country respects your military. even M23 rubbished you that your strike force will just die for nothing. Since when they deployed we've not heard one gunshot from your fearful army while M23 is on rampage. losers

even zimbabwe will invade SA. your comrades have attested to it. grin

enlighten me? surely you are aware your brain needs a proper reeducation cos that's what you have managed to display here.
fact we are still there what about the so called strong army where are they back home no capacity no strategy their weakness have been exposed end of story finish and klaar
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:35pm On Aug 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:
fact we are still there what about the so called strong army where are they back home no capacity no strategy their weakness have been exposed end of story finish and klaar

you are still there alright grin that's the only thing you can brag about your military. still in DRC shinning their boots while their mandate is left pending grin

a military with no achievements grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (667) (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.