Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,848 members, 7,872,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:34 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (558) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1338506 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (555) (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:27pm On Feb 21, 2021
Aphrodite007:

You came late. I was seeing it with my koro-koro eyes. My own is, who will now do the sweeping?

The wise man is very good at sweeping up. grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by PtBlank: 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2021
Thanks, although I was only curious about the implications of the ruling
RalphJean:

The student must have a car.
Have a licence.
Have insurance.
I guess a clean license for a couple of years is required. Will the student meet up the requirements?

Uber ‘business’ is not to simply move a car.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 8:42pm On Feb 21, 2021
marylandcakes:

But is the wise man that was fighting now hahaha
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2021
Aphrodite007:

But is the wise man that was fighting now hahaha

Then he will have to clean up after himself. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:01pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

who told u these Grammar u are blowing that school gives 3 months to balance. are u even in UK?
to answer that question u most have similar experience or witness it.

dont discourage her.
let her achieve her dream.
u only need to balance the remaining 50% before season ends not 3months.
if u resume January u need to balance by August end b4 another season start by September.
una no go apply to better sch and city grin

Take a bold step my dear and pursue ur dream. even Nigerians abroad are full of discouragement and selfishness. u will understand when u re here.
be determined. and God help you

While I agree that there is possibility (pre covid era) , it can be mental tasking /draining (the worrying that comes when you can't meet up financially,) and with covid were jobs arent as much .... so its not an easy journey at all when you don't have a fall back support.

I don't think anyone here wants to discourage on purpose but we all know its not easy to train and school legally . I find jan resumption easier to do this waka than sept resumption . HMRC is also getting more tighter in their tracking solution so for those who want PSW later you have to keep to the rules

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 12:35am On Feb 22, 2021
marylandcakes:

I believe the wise man you speak of is a woman
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 1:12am On Feb 22, 2021
Bourne007:
You might probably need to understand the difference between being Self-employed and on placement

oversabi they worry u

What u dont experience u keep arguing on it.
u can know more that what know.
instead of asking route and link to something u keep arguing.
the same problem u people have here In UK.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 1:32am On Feb 22, 2021
Aphrodite007:

You are a very interesting person. I’ve been reading your comments, and I initially thought to hold my tongue (abi fingers), but you’ve gone a bit too far.

It’s ok if you want to encourage people. Please do. But don’t stop others from sounding warnings to the person. Your own is to give your advice, then leave others to give theirs.

Btw, you’re right, nothing stops a student from being self employed. I was self employed in uni, but under an umbrella company. If a student wants to then be self employed on their own, that’s risky, however, I like experience being the best teacher. Just so you know, Your bank can call up anytime and ask for company papers and tax docs. Then you’re exposing yourself as a student to HMRC. But what do we know, you know pass us.

About paying 50% then coming to study in the UK. I had a friend who did this. He worked every damn day. He still couldn’t come up with the money to complete his fees which I ended up lending him a huge amount, then he paid back. What if your friend doesn’t have someone to lend them?

But please ignore us, we are the busy bodies that are discouraging others.

Student on PLACEMENT/INTERNSHIP year can work full time paid job during their placement.

my University sponsored students who couldn't find a PLACEMENT/INTERNSHIP place due to COVID19 company Lockdown ....or have a business proposal (optional) and finance them. Depend on ur Uni.

and u know what, this is an advantage for guys who still want to stay I UK after graduation(.......the rest is later)

nothing concerning HMRC about that.
they are even happy self because they take Tax from u.
Ofcourse they know most foreign students are in their country to make money and change to better life.

About not able to pay 50%
This COVID19 is a great advantage to International students.
the online studies help them to have more time to work.
some areas in UK have several jobs than others.
depends on where in UK.
Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds are cities that have many options. we change jobs anytime. take employer do shakara. believe it or not. Work Agencies chase u with phone to come work especially this COVID19 that many are Afraid to work in d cities.

I have seen guys that resumed last January and balance up b4 August and even raised money for family to join the b4 2020 ends.
that's why I say its depend on how u can hussle.

To make it in life u need advice and guidance from experienced people.
many took a bold step and came to UK years back...without or little fund..thank God today they are ok.

please note my advice is mainly for postgraduate Prospective students not undergraduate.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by FraudMan: 1:45am On Feb 22, 2021
*More popcorns please* grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 1:51am On Feb 22, 2021
FraudMan:
*More popcorns please* grin

u and this my pop corn grin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Santa2: 6:17am On Feb 22, 2021
Efound3:

Student on PLACEMENT/INTERNSHIP year can work full time paid job during their placement.

my University sponsored students who couldn't find a PLACEMENT/INTERNSHIP place due to COVID19 company Lockdown ....or have a business proposal (optional) and finance them. Depend on ur Uni.

and u know what, this is an advantage for guys who still want to stay I UK after graduation(.......the rest is later)

Ofcourse they know most foreign students are in their country to make money and change to better life.

depends on where in UK.
Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds are cities that have many options. we change jobs anytime. take employer do shakara. believe it or not. Work Agencies chase u with phone to come work especially this COVID19 that many are Afraid to work in d cities.

I have seen guys that resumed last January and balance up b4 August and even raised money for family to join the b4 2020 ends.

many took a bold step and came to UK years back...without or little fund..thank God today they are ok.

please note my advice is mainly for postgraduate Prospective students not undergraduate.

Are you advising that students work above the prescribed 20 hours work a week?

I believe this would be breaching the terms upon which your visa was granted and affect you later when you want to apply for PSW or tier 2 or even ILR.

Anyway each to their own but I believe we should all strive to stay on the right side of the law.

wetin I know self? na small pikin I be

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 10:20am On Feb 22, 2021
No one even argued here LOL .. I just asked if you know the difference between the 2.

Oya provide link make we all learn. Let's see where and how "who told that tier4 student cant be self employed." this can happen. Self employed but inside IR35?? wink

Efound3:

oversabi they worry u

What u dont experience u keep arguing on it.
u can know more that what know.
instead of asking route and link to something u keep arguing.
the same problem u people have here In UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AlphaCentaurii: 11:51am On Feb 22, 2021
Please does anyone know where i can buy clothes for the cold UK weather in Ikeja? Like the body warmer....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olenime(m): 12:01pm On Feb 22, 2021
AlphaCentaurii:
Please does anyone know where i can buy clothes for the cold UK weather in Ikeja? Like the body warmer....
Go yaba
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 12:29pm On Feb 22, 2021
Santa2:

Are you advising that students work above the prescribed 20 hours work a week?

I believe this would be breaching the terms upon which your visa was granted and affect you later when you want to apply for PSW or tier 2 or even ILR.

Anyway each to their own but I believe we should all strive to stay on the right side of the law.

wetin I know self? na small pikin I be

Nah. . .enemy of progress, don't stop him from achieving his dream grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 12:39pm On Feb 22, 2021
This is a public forum; anyone can see it...

When wahala comes, who do these people turn to? It is those abroad that often help bail them out through personal contacts, churches and charities...

* When someone comes with the word hussle - I take a deep breath... What do they think we are all mostly doing in this country. And what sort of hussle is our friend advocating

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ochukoccna: 1:19pm On Feb 22, 2021
AlphaCentaurii:

Yaba for used ones, Lagos Island for new ones

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2021
chrisj2:
This is a public forum; anyone can see it...

When wahala comes, who do these people turn to? It is those abroad that often help bail them out through personal contacts, churches and charities...

* When someone comes with the word hussle - I take a deep breath... What do they think we are all mostly doing in this country. And what sort of hussle is our friend advocating

We will do the usual race-card waving , they hate Nigerians, after paying so much in school fees .. bla bla bla.

Nobody will be bothered to find out exactly what the brother/sister did.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2021
Efound3:

Student on PLACEMENT/INTERNSHIP year can work full time paid job during their placement. YES

my University sponsored students who couldn't find a PLACEMENT/INTERNSHIP place due to COVID19 company Lockdown ....or have a business proposal (optional) and finance them. Depend on ur Uni. start up visa not internship, having a business is not optional

depends on where in UK.
Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds are cities that have many options. we change jobs anytime[b] I believe you mean Agency, as on/off boarding process is not a day thing[/b]. take employer do shakara. believe it or not. Work Agencies chase u with phone to come work especially this COVID19 that many are Afraid to work in d cities.

I have seen guys that resumed last January and balance up b4 August and even raised money for family to join the b4 2020 ends. How is their academic performance??

many took a bold step and came to UK years back...without or little fund..thank God today they are ok. UK has changed from years back

Half information is dangerous. All these your GRA GRA no be ham oh

The sponsorship you are talking about is for startup visa, where the student present a business and the uni endorses them for a 2 years visa, which allows them to work full time and switch employment.

No such thing as sponsorship for internship/placement by uni, as it's a part of you modules which you need to go and get experience from an organisation.

Hustle pass hustle, some people are into dubious stuff, others are in breach of there visa conditions. Because Mr A. Did and was successful Mr B. Might not be.

Before you say let experience people talk, please find my receipt below.

Ex T4 MSc
Ex startup/graduate entrepreneur
Current employer of a couple of students on placement
Current T1 entrepreneur.

Fly wey no get lawyer na him dey follow dead body enter grave.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AlphaCentaurii: 1:48pm On Feb 22, 2021
ochukoccna:

Yaba for used ones, Lagos Island for new ones
Thank you...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AlphaCentaurii: 1:48pm On Feb 22, 2021
olenime:

Go yaba
Thank you.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2021
justwise:

We will do the usual race-card waving , they hate Nigerians, after paying so much in school fees .. bla bla bla.

And when wahala starts its only you that will carry that cross. What worked for someone few years ago might not work in 2021 .however when the advice is made it doesn't factor that the system is changing as well to be more equipped

For example HMRC now has a "better" real time PAYE reporting for employers , making it much harder to work under the table. HMRC has also implemented better system to match your earnings with NI and that info is accessible during visa renewal

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 2:44pm On Feb 22, 2021
umarwy:

Half information is dangerous. All these your GRA GRA no be ham oh

The sponsorship you are talking about is for startup visa, where the student present a business and the uni endorses them for a 2 years visa, which allows them to work full time and switch employment.

No such thing as sponsorship for internship/placement by uni, as it's a part of you modules which you need to go and get experience from an organisation.

Hustle pass hustle, some people are into dubious stuff, others are in breach of there visa conditions. Because Mr A. Did and was successful Mr B. Might not be.

Before you say let experience people talk, please find my receipt below.

Ex T4 MSc
Ex startup/graduate entrepreneur
Current employer of a couple of students on placement
Current T1 entrepreneur.

Fly wey no get lawyer na him dey follow dead body enter grave.

You that is writing this grammar. I’m not sure you have ever enter aeroplane sef. I’m very sure you haven’t been to the UK. Please allow the person who is experienced to talk.
Someone told you that Tier-4 student on 2 year masters (with placement) can use the placement year to do Uber.... and you are arguing?
Do you even know UK?

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2021
LagosismyHome:

And when wahala starts its only you that will carry that cross. What worked for someone few years ago might not work in 2021 .however when the advice is made it doesn't factor that the system is changing as well to be more equipped

For example HMRC now has a "better" real time PAYE reporting for employers , making it much harder to work under the table. HMRC has also implemented better system to match your earnings with NI and that info is accessible during visa renewal

My dear, we are not talking LAGOS here. We are talking UK. Please, leave the people person who has UK experience to talk.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2021
RalphJean:

You that is writing this grammar. I’m not sure you have ever enter aeroplane sef. I’m very sure you haven’t been to the UK. Please allow the person who is experienced to talk.
Someone told you that Tier-4 student on 2 year masters (with placement) can use the placement year to do Uber.... and you are arguing?
Do you even know UK?

Sorry Sir

Let me buy gala and go to lekki toll gate with flag

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2021
RalphJean:

My dear, we are not talking LAGOS here. We are talking UK. Please, leave the people person who has UK experience to talk.

Ouch smiley cheesy grin... Lagos is truly my home, even I forget sometimes

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by FraudMan: 3:50pm On Feb 22, 2021
LagosismyHome, umarwy, RalphJean make una well done ooooo. Na our friend una dey use clout chase like ds abi. cheesy

*Grabs popcorn

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 3:57pm On Feb 22, 2021
justwise:

Ha ha ha...

To be fair, I am reading millions of naira on the student visa thread and I am thinking, where is all these money coming from... The cost of international studentship is really so high that you sometimes wonder if it is really worth it for many many students...

And I also wonder about the game the UK government is playing... They like money too much.

Anyways, words to the wise. You advice but it is up to them to listen and/or reason...

* We all have our skeletons but we should keep them firmly in the closet not here in a public forum.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by SamReinvented: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2021
Aphrodite007:

I like you, you have plenty money. After spending on visa and ihs, you still want to spend. Please do give away for us.

The answer will depend on the visa. If you’re in Nigeria, you’ll pay your flight and anointing oil for prayers. If in UK, no shaking.

Omo... e shock me too ooo. grin grin grin After dumping over 900k in ihs and visa, i was just getting angry at the thoughts of money cheesy cheesy cheesy. But this person still dey ask about money.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:17pm On Feb 22, 2021
chrisj2:

Ha ha ha...

To be fair, I am reading millions of naira on the student visa thread and I am thinking, where is all these money coming from... The cost of international studentship is really so high that you sometimes wonder if it is really worth it for many many students...

And I also wonder about the game the UK government is playing... They like money too much.

Anyways, words to the wise. You advice but it is up to them to listen and/or reason...

* We all have our skeletons but we should keep them firmly in the closet not here in a public forum.

A good number of them don't have that money, get someone to pay money into your account, wait for 28days and printout the bank statement then return the money, that is the common practice.

When someone will be asking for a school that accepts £1000 deposit that tells you all you need to know..

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:26pm On Feb 22, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Coming to the UK to study is a good thing and should be encourage but you have to prepare financially, i think its a lot better to get a loan in Nigeria and payback with part time job and PSW. Schooling and worrying about fees, rent and bills is a terrible thing.

Very few came out of it with a good memory.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (555) (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.