Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,809 members, 7,915,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:34 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (559) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1357249 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Sweetjusty(f): 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2021
I am an embryologist who works and live in Lagos, Nigeria. Pls I am looking forward to leaving Nigeria. Is there a way i can apply for jobs from here first or are there any professional courses to be taken. Pls I need answers. my email address is sweetjusty001@yahoo.com. Thanks
I am an embryologist, and i just got a job with a Hospital in Manchester after doing series of interview.

the starting salary is 25k annually which i consider small for me.

I would like to find out the best city to stay,( within a 30mins radius to Manchester) because i dont think i can live in the city center with that amount. also do you advise i bring my family immediately? will that salary be enough for us.

Please i need help, i have just a month to get ready.

@justwise and everybody else.

thank you.[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 2:21am On Feb 23, 2021
This trend is always exciting as ever.... Laugh want finish me reading through all this una latest war film........ Make I grab popcorn too cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 6:42am On Feb 23, 2021
wallg123:
This trend is always exciting as ever.... Laugh want finish me reading through all this una latest war film........ Make I grab popcorn too cool
*thread*

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 9:20am On Feb 23, 2021
Someone asked the same question on page 545 and it was answered. I advise that you read from that page forward.
Sweetjusty:

I am an embryologist who works and live in Lagos, Nigeria. Pls I am looking forward to leaving Nigeria. Is there a way i can apply for jobs from here first or are there any professional courses to be taken. Pls I need answers. my email address is sweetjusty001@yahoo.com. Thanks
I am an embryologist, and i just got a job with a Hospital in Manchester after doing series of interview.

I would like to find out the best city to stay,( within a 30mins radius to Manchester) because i dont think i can live in the city center with that amount. also do you advise i bring my family immediately? will that salary be enough for us.

thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:03am On Feb 23, 2021
umarwy:

Half information is dangerous. All these your GRA GRA no be ham oh

Boss come and put me through the T1. I’ve been planning to do it before the end of the year. I’ve read up what I need to know, but just to hear from someone that’s done it. Did you have to join an accelerator (I’ve forgotten what they are called, an example is Barclays) or were you helped out by your uni? Did you have to show tax papers and company docs? Etc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:07am On Feb 23, 2021
LagosismyHome:

And when wahala starts its only you that will carry that cross. What worked for someone few years ago might not work in 2021 .however when the advice is made it doesn't factor that the system is changing as well to be more equipped

For example HMRC now has a "better" real time PAYE reporting for employers , making it much harder to work under the table. HMRC has also implemented better system to match your earnings with NI and that info is accessible during visa renewal

Omo!! You know funny enough this is the reason I steer clear advising students, because things were different then, if I say something and they enter trouble, I’ll now be the enemy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 11:40am On Feb 23, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Boss come and put me through the T1. Been planning to do it before the end of the year? I’ve read up what I need to know, but just to hear from someone that’s fine it. Did you have to join an accelerator (I’ve forgotten what they are called, an example is Barclays) or where you helped out by your uni? Did you have to show tax papers and company docs? Etc

I started from the graduate entrepreneurship ( now startup visa), for which I had to get developed a business plan and have it endorsed by my Uni.
Then visa, business development, monthly progress reports to the uni. Then endorsement for extension, followed by visa, business development, monthly updates with the uni.

The graduate entrepreneurship (startup visa) was for 2 years. Before I switched to the T1 general.

Docs required/used

Proof of business activities
Proof of business registration
Proof of maintenance
Proof of investments
Reference letter from university
Company accounts
Share certificates
Etc
Etc

Can't recall the whole list

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:58pm On Feb 23, 2021
umarwy:

I started from the graduate entrepreneurship ( now startup visa), for which I had to get developed a business plan and have it endorsed by my Uni.
Then visa, business development, monthly progress reports to the uni. Then endorsement for extension, followed by visa, business development, monthly updates with the uni.

The graduate entrepreneurship (startup visa) was for 2 years. Before I switched to the T1 general.

Docs required/used

Proof of business activities
Proof of business registration
Proof of maintenance
Proof of investments
Reference letter from university
Company accounts
Share certificates
Etc
Etc

Can't recall the whole list

Nice one. Thanks. Sorry about the typos, I spell so badly when I’m multitasking or in a hurry.

I guess that that reference letter from a uni will be optional, because not everyone is a student. Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Sweetjusty(f): 10:34pm On Feb 23, 2021
please can you help me out with the this info. i want to apply for jobs in uk as an embryologist too. pease information regarding this will be so much appreciated.

zeb04:
Hello guys, pls i need you all to look at this.

thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by MrOkenwa(m): 11:15am On Feb 24, 2021
smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 11:53am On Feb 24, 2021
MrOkenwa:
Good morning.
Please what would be the fate of a 7 years old in pry 3 here in Nigeria, when he migrates with his parents to the uk? Is he going to start his education all over again?
Thank you in anticipation.

Don’t worry at all. Even if they speak not 1 single word of English language, they will be fine. The child will be placed in the same class where ALL 7year olds are.

In the UK, I don’t think 7year olds are in primary 3...more like primary 2.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 12:16pm On Feb 24, 2021
Sweetjusty:

thank you.

Why did you feel you have to say that £25000 starting salary is not enough? Do you know the average wage in the UK? Will you not be better off in Nigeria if you earn so much more currently?

Ask questions wisely!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by MrOkenwa(m): 12:48pm On Feb 24, 2021
RalphJean:

Don’t worry at all. Even if they speak not 1 single word of English language, they will be fine. The child will be placed in the same class where ALL 7year olds are.

Ha. A sign of relieve for me. This has been my major concern.
Thank you for this message of hope boss.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:00pm On Feb 24, 2021
MrOkenwa:
Good morning.
Please what would be the fate of a 7 years old in pry 3 here in Nigeria, when he migrates with his parents to the uk? Is he going to start his education all over again?

Depending on when he was born .....

sep 1 2012 to August 31 2013 are in Year 3 class.

sep 1 2013 to August 31 2014 are in Year 2 class.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by MrOkenwa(m): 1:16pm On Feb 24, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Depending on when he was born .....

sep 1 2012 to August 31 2013 are in Year 3 class.

sep 1 2013 to August 31 2014 are in Year 2 class.
Thank you for your response. He was born on 25 August. He would be 7 this year.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 1:57pm On Feb 24, 2021
chrisj2:

Why did you feel you have to say that £25000 starting salary is not enough? Do you know the average wage in the UK? Will you not be better off in Nigeria if you earn so much more currently?

Ask questions wisely!

The person who got that job and posted about the salary really doesn't need help.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:14pm On Feb 24, 2021
Sweetjusty:
please can you help me out with the this info. i want to apply for jobs in uk as an embryologist too. pease information regarding this will be so much appreciated.

Our elders say if you beat a child with your left hand, you bring them close with your right hand. My lovely thread mates have done the job of the left hand, which I wholly support (especially as JW told you to read backwards), but now, I’ll do the job of the right hand.

Firstly, Chris was right, if you think 25k is too small, best not to come. Min wage is 19800.

Secondly, You can google cities around Manchester centre and write down those names, then google “rent homes in *city*” to check if that city is affordable for you. Keep doing this until you find your preferred city. I’ll add that you should also check transportation links from work to your choice home (google maps), to make sure you can easily get to work.

Thirdly, bringing your family is up to you, but personally, I don’t advise this. Come first and experience it first, before you move your family. If you don’t even know the minimum wage in the UK and think 25k is too small, it means that you have a lot to learn about the UK and settling in may be hard with a family.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 2:52pm On Feb 24, 2021
To further clarify matters, on a 25k p.a. salary, after HMRC takes its bite, the take home will be (off the top of my head) roughly about £1,700 per month.
I think Salford might work better than Manchester proper.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AirBay: 2:59pm On Feb 24, 2021
RalphJean:

Yes, correct. Pry 2 for 7years old. There are some 8years old as well but very hard to see 7years old in primary 3. This assumption is based on the school I worked with. It may be different somewhere else.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:45pm On Feb 24, 2021
MrOkenwa:

Thank you for your response. He was born on 25 August. He would be 7 this year.

Ok... start getting used to how uk state birthday. He never 7 until after August 25th grin so he is 6 years not 7 and he would be in year 2 and among the youngest since the cut of is August 31st

So until a day after your birthday before you are that age not months before like we say in Nigeria

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2021
chrisj2:

Ask questions wisely!

Easy now bros. You dey vex oh.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2021
chrisj2:

Ask questions wisely!

Depending on where you are in your career..... 25k is small na. cheesy. I agree . However there are other factors that come into play. Ie Is there prospect for better and the 25k is just used as a stepping stone... location as well, this for London go hard but outside London then easier
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 5:24pm On Feb 24, 2021
I am not annoyed can any normal salary ever be enough? We are all managing except just a few...

The rest of the question is ok but talking about money at this juncture is not really appropriate. It sounded almost boastful...

£25000 might not be a lot for a family that is used to having a good and high standard of living in Nigeria... But it is a very good start (starting salary) for someone moving to another country. Add all the other benefits that we normally have to pay for in Nigeria and much better security, then that £25000 should not be sneered.

It is just an advice to the posters and others. I have been in this country long and we do not go on about money and earnings and wealth - we are not like Americans...

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:06pm On Feb 24, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Depending on where you are in your career..... 25k is small na. cheesy. I agree . However there are other factors that come into play. Ie Is there prospect for better and the 25k is just used as a stepping stone... location as well, this for London go hard but outside London then easier

It's offered as a starting salary.
Truth be told, intra-company transfers aside, it is uncommon to make such a move and find yourself at the same career level you left in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 6:22pm On Feb 24, 2021
£25k salary is small. About 10 years ago I started on £28k and that wasn't even considered great then. His/her statement was not out of place.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hiring2020: 7:22pm On Feb 24, 2021
Hello house, please who needs pounds. I need to exchange pounds to naira.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 8:00pm On Feb 24, 2021
What’s your rate

hiring2020:
Hello house, please who needs pounds. I need to exchange pounds to naira.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:27pm On Feb 24, 2021
dustydee:
£25k salary is small. About 10 years ago I started on £28k and that wasn't even considered great then. His/her statement was not out of place.

Graduate jobs are 24k. A reputable company offered me 26k as a graduate staff. I have friends that earned 17k now they are on 35-44. My first job in the UK was 22k (3 years ago) but now, omo!

So no, 28k is a good salary when you’re starting. Let’s learn to be grateful and to build from small to big.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 9:55pm On Feb 24, 2021
Also remember that part of what the Brexiteers campaigned for was removing freedom of movement so wages could rise, but that's a lie - Kwasi Kwarteng and the Brexiteers are standing by waiting to remove some EU labour law provisions which they would definitely have done if Covid hadn't come along to help them in that regard. Look out for more contracts when the economy picks up, the IR35 rules are clarified in April, and those currently unemployed are reabsorbed. There's going to be some pressure on wages.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:27pm On Feb 24, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Graduate jobs are 24k. A reputable company offered me 26k as a graduate staff. I have friends that earned 17k now they are on 35-44. My first job in the UK was 22k (3 years ago) but now, omo!

So no, 28k is a good salary when you’re starting. Let’s learn to be grateful and to build from small to big.

Well said.
And from the fact that the poster has gotten a job in their field from Nigeria, I would assume it's one that's got very good prospects here/western world, if not on the shortage list. And it's also to be assumed that the poster wishes to leave Nigeria. Come out first, establish yourself in your field, then look around and move on up.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 10:56pm On Feb 24, 2021
This has been dealt with, why bringing it up again?
State your fears, our gurus here will answer to the best of their knowledge.

Your willingness to leave Nigeria is the motivating factor here, if you are not ready no amount will be good enough for you.

25k before tax is enough, though a stepping stone if you feel you deserve better.
You come in, stay like 3months to get settled before your family comes.

From my little experience,
$1000 can take care of a month rent plus bills
$400 for feeding @$100 weekly
$100 for a month transport
Balance of $400 or more
Above is for a small family in northern England
If you are flamboyant, like hushpupi kinda, am afraid it may not be enough.

Cheers

Sweetjusty:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 10:59pm On Feb 24, 2021
He will be in year 2 now to enter year 3 by September this year.

Schooling here is done by age not precious class in Nigeria.

MrOkenwa:
Good morning.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.