Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,249 members, 7,939,955 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 02:46 PM

Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam (6648 Views)

Former Lagos Governor Fashola In Mecca (Photo) / Fashola And Ambode Throw Souvenirs At People At Alimosho / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by nulldev: 11:14pm On Mar 29, 2010
Mariory:

I have read the thread up to the point I made a post. No one is moving the "marker".
You are requesting a public official to respond publicly (in my opinion to get into a public argument) to very serious allegations made against him publicly, by people not authorised to enforce the laws they are claiming he has broken. In addition, said allegations are being made close to an election year. Did I miss anything?

As an after thought, what exactly is Fashola responding publicly to these allegations suppossed to achieve?

Pretty much sums it up M8.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Mariory(m): 11:20pm On Mar 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

WHAT What in the world do you mean BY PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO ENFORCE THE LAWS THEY ARE CLAIMING HE HAS BROKEN? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

He is PUBLICLY ACCOUNTABLE because he is an elected leader. Do you not see that in the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION? Again, STOP MOVING THE MARKER? What has the authorization of the people to do with anything? THEY ARE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC AND HENCE HE IS ACCOUNTABLE TO THEM AS WELL . . .  

You know what,  lets just say if it is contrary to the universal declaration up there, then it ought to be looked at. Simple!!! This back and forth and twists on when and where it can or cannot apply is just going nowhere because the fundamentals are not the ones changing here, just that we are slowly looking for ways to twist and weave past enforcing the basics is all. Thanks!

Ok ok! Forget what I said there. I can't be bothered to try explaining what I ment.

You agree it ought to be looked at but, by whom? If not the appropiate law enforcement agencies then who?
Still though what do you expect Fashola publicly responding to these allegations to achieve?
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Kobojunkie: 11:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
Mariory:

Ok ok! Forget what I said there. I can't be bothered to try explaining what I ment. Still though what do you expect Fashola publicly responding to these allegations to achieve?

Can I ask what Country and state you live in? Maybe I can better find you an example that way to help you understand this cause I am beginning to think that as long as the Fashola name is involved, no sense will come of this my trying to explain why the fundamentals of democracy should always apply whether it is fashola we are discussing or Peter Obi or Kalu Orji Or even Obama, or Blagoyevich.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Mariory(m): 11:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Can I ask what Country and state you live in? Maybe I can better find you an example that way to help you understand this cause I am beginning to think that as long as the Fashola name is involved, no sense will come of this my trying to explain why the fundamentals of democracy should always apply whether it is fashola we are discussing or Peter Obi or Kalu Orji Or even Obama, or Blagoyevich.

My Country or State are irrelevant. Make any example you wish no problem with that. It is not about Fashola although I am most interested in what he's doing in Lagos.
You are advocating for him to get into a 'to and fro' in the press with people making allegations against him in public. I find it hard to believe you will find any examples of that in the developed world.
I am still intriged as to what exactly you expect the outcome of such a public argument to be.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
Mariory:

My Country or State are irrelevant. Make any example you wish no problem with that. It is not about Fashola although I am most interested in what he's doing in Lagos.
You are advocating for him to get into a 'to and fro' in the press with people making allegations against him in public. I find it hard to believe you will find any examples of that in the developed world.
I am still intriged as to what exactly you expect the outcome of such a public argument to be.

Reading throiugh what you have above, I thjink it is definitely relevant. We just dealt with and are still dealing with this issue right here in the America with the President involved. Allegations where made against him and his party and any american who is on the side will tell you that the President knew to take it upon himself to answer to these allegations, not for the groups alone but for the people of america to know the truth of the situation. It is election year in the United states. Obama could have easily played the MY ENEMIES ARE AT WORK AND SO I WILL NOT SAY ANYTING card. He could have easily said it is election year so no need to do anything . He didn't really need the people to vote on HealthCare before he signed it. Allegations where made. There was no need to call in the FBI, CIA, US ARMY, INTERPOL, ACLU for him to know WHAT TO DO AS A Governor in a democratic system. He did not wait till the Tea Partiers announced they were speaking for a Majority of America before he responded to clear the air. He did not hold a count to be sure he only responded when the numbers were over 50%. He did not stop ask the teapartiers to provide evidence for allegations before he proceeded to clear the air. He did not play the "They attack government so they have issues with Obama personally" Card. He simply did what was required of him as a president. Check the government site to see where he has been, the many interviews he has conducted in order that he can clear the air on what healthcare is about or not about. COME ON!!!

IF YOU THINK TO APPLY ONLY 50% of that to this particular case, and do so UNBIASED, you would realize why LAGOS needs to do more than Play the SILENCE IS GOLDEN CARD. Look again at the details on the site I gave you. Where is that option even available?  Why do we like moving the Marker when convenient? Why do we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and pick sides when we ought not to?
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by nulldev: 11:45pm On Mar 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No need to chuck the toys out the pram. This is as clear as night and day and there is no need to pull the Fashola fan club card cos someone disagrees with you. Fashola has being accused of corrupt practices, want a reference point? You pulled one up with Governor Blagojevich.

Care to go through the timeline of that case? At what point did he start responding to allegations? was it not after the FBI (yes the Feds, not the state police) had concluded investigations and filed charges against him. Remember the press conference they called? evidence piled to the hilt. No 'watch out, part 2 is more explosive than part 1' type BS. Was there not a press leak at least a week in advance of impending investigations?  Did the state legislature demand a news letter or they demanded he appear before said body to state he's case and impeached on that basis.

Clear enough for you? As I said before a corruption case should be treated with all severity and not treated with press packets and TV PR dress ups. If there is a process that can be followed by all means ask that due process be followed and that Fashola not be allowed to taint the exercise with undue influence. You fear the house of assembly is tainted? EFCC and ICPC de to investigate and precedence has already being sent with Alamsco and Dariye already.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by nulldev: 12:06am On Mar 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Reading throiugh what you have above, I thjink it is definitely relevant. We just dealt with and are still dealing with this issue right here in the America with the President involved. Allegations where made against him and his party and any american who is on the side will tell you that the President knew to take it upon himself to answer to these allegations, not for the groups alone but for the people of america to know the truth of the situation. It is election year in the United states. Obama could have easily played the MY ENEMIES ARE AT WORK AND SO I WILL NOT SAY ANYTING card. He could have easily said it is election year so no need to do anything . He didn't really need the people to vote on HealthCare before he signed it. Allegations where made. There was no need to call in the FBI, CIA, US ARMY, INTERPOL, ACLU for him to know WHAT TO DO AS A Governor in a democratic system.  Check the government site to see where he has been, the many interviews he has conducted in order that he can clear the air on what healthcare is about or not about. COME ON!!!

IF YOU THINK TO APPLY ONLY 50% of that to this particular case, and do so UNBIASED, you would realize why LAGOS needs to do more than Play the SILENCE IS GOLDEN CARD. Look again at the details on the site I gave you. Where is that option even available?  Why do we like moving the Marker when convenient? Why do we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and pick sides when we ought not to?

The health care debate and hypothetical dooms day scenarios as painted by repubs = corruption allegations? And you accuse someone of moving the marker. Obama had to politik to win the health care bill or you think the undecided house democrats just magically swung he's way cos he had videos up? Wonder why it took over a year to get it passed?  No be political (yes that ugly word again, politics) horse trading eventually pass the bill?

Unflippingbelieavable. Accusations about the outcome of a possible government policy as opposed to a corruption case? Night and day pal.

You need to stick to debating the issue at hand and not fly off on wild tangents. What next, quotes from  Jed Bartlet  grin

How about the down right ridiculous allegations that Obama illegally obtained visas for he's Kenyan family or that he is not a US citizen? You need him on TV squashing that one too? Or you think it has completely died down now he is in charge?

And once again, the health care bill needed political weight/PR spin to push it over the finish line. No one will accuse him of anything but political naiveté if he did not get on the bully pulpit.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Mariory(m): 12:34am On Mar 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Reading throiugh what you have above, I thjink it is definitely relevant. We just dealt with and are still dealing with this issue right here in the America with the President involved. Allegations where made against him and his party and any american who is on the side will tell you that the President knew to take it upon himself to answer to these allegations, not for the groups alone but for the people of america to know the truth of the situation. It is election year in the United states. Obama could have easily played the MY ENEMIES ARE AT WORK AND SO I WILL NOT SAY ANYTING card. He could have easily said it is election year so no need to do anything . He didn't really need the people to vote on HealthCare before he signed it. Allegations where made. There was no need to call in the FBI, CIA, US ARMY, INTERPOL, ACLU for him to know WHAT TO DO AS A Governor in a democratic system. He did not wait till the Tea Partiers announced they were speaking for a Majority of America before he responded to clear the air. He did not hold a count to be sure he only responded when the numbers were over 50%. He did not stop ask the teapartiers to provide evidence for allegations before he proceeded to clear the air. He did not play the "They attack government so they have issues with Obama personally" Card. He simply did what was required of him as a president. Check the government site to see where he has been, the many interviews he has conducted in order that he can clear the air on what healthcare is about or not about. COME ON!!!

What allegations are you referring to?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also please see
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003171242542

The judge further berated The True Face of Lagos, saying that the group was faceless and had never been known to champion good governance, just as he insisted that it was not proper for the Assembly to act on the group’s publication as against a petition addressed to the Assembly.

He said. “The group that made the publication was faceless without any known address or location other than an email address and no documents were published in the advertorial to support any of the allegations. They were bare allegations and above all, the allegations were not contained in a petition addressed directly to the House of Assembly but published in an advertorial. The group has not been known or associated with the struggle for good governance and probity in government expenditures in Nigeria.”

He also granted an injunction restraining the Assembly and its agents from acting on its resolution of January 28, 2010 which directed the investigation of the allegations by the group.

The judge added that the Assembly could only commence the investigation when its resolution had been first published in its journal or in an official gazette of the Lagos State Government.

The judge also held that the Assembly’s inauguration of a six-man committee to probe the allegations without the publication of its resolution in its journal or official gazette of the state government was a fundamental breach of the 1999 Constitution, saying that the action was unconstitutional, illegal, unlawful and of no effect.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/1444-efcc-probes-fashola-investigators-move-to-lagos-true-face-withdraws-allegations-against-house.html

THE  Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has launched an investigation into the issues raised in the corruption allegations against the Lagos State governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola.
EFCC’s spokesperson, Mr. Femi Babafemi, told the Nigerian Tribune that the petition detailing alleged corrupt practices by the governor in the handling of the state’s finances was receiving the attention of the agency, just like any other petition.

Speaking on the matter, Honourable Jimoh Adewale (Apapa I), suggested that the group should go back and make another  advertorial retracting the allegation against members of the House, so that they could be saved from embarrassment which the group had caused the House through its previous  advertorial.

Speaking in the same vein, Honourable Alawiye King (Lagos Island I), urged his colleague to be careful because they were giving the group unnecessary and undue attention, just as he said their publication had distracted the House.

In the submission of the Speaker, he urged other groups with similar allegations to feel free and approach the House with their facts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that the links and associated quotes are for information purposes only and not in any way attempting to move the "marker". I'm waiting on the allegations Obama argued about in the press.

Also I'm still intrigued as to what you expect the outcome to be of Fashola responding to the allegations in the press.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Metea: 12:21pm On Apr 07, 2010
Reading through most of the comments I think there is an oversimplification on the part of many of us; especially those that have not bothered to carry out some investigations before commenting. A little bit of research will reveal that most of the allegations contained in the article arise from distorted facts; whether this is intentional and politically motivated or just a case of honest mistakes is something else, however; and I make no judgement on that. The concession in question relates to 2 key projects - - the rehabilitation and expansion of the Lekki Road and the construction of 22 km of Coastal Road, which is essentially an extension of the Ahmadu Bello way. The concession agreement is a public document so this can be verified. The 4th mainland bridge isn't included but a study was carried out to review the feasibility of private sector funding of the project. Unfortunately, it was considered not to be viable unless significant government funding was to be made available. Perhaps, Lagos State erred by not making that information public so that we all didn't have to believe that it was what the concession was all about. It is also incorrect that there wasn't a transparent competitive tender process. Most of us will recall the announcement in 2001 of a Singaporean group that was going to finance a number of infrastructure projects in Lagos. There were publications in the international press as well as a website that was created requesting for proposals. As a result of the Ikeja bomb blast at around that time, the group from Singapore pulled out, leaving just a handful of local proposals. It was this process that led to the LCC consortium winning the bid. The other question that arises is how profitable a road concession opportunity is. Please we should all do some research; from South Africa to Australia. The first point to note is that the Lekki concession agreement limits the profits that LCC can make since the government has a right (as contained in the concession agreement) to cap the profit and protect the citizens. The reference to N1bn cost per kilometre is misleading since this covers the following, among others: (a) cost of he Falomo overhead ramp that connects the existing Falomo bridge; (b) cost of 4 other bridge structures along the Lekki road most of which are not obvious to most of us that travel on the road (similar to the Mobil bridge); (c) cost of various pedestrian overhead bridges; (d) cost of coastal road; (e) cost of toll plazas; (f) finance costs during construction, and so on. The reality of road infrastructure projects under a PPP arrangement is that they are not as viable as we all believe. Executing projects like this in Nigeria is also not easy; granted there is no denying that Hitech have been slow in executing. I am told by the consortium members that their preference was JB, and though JB received the contractor bid document, they failed to submit their tender on the basis that they couldn't participate in a competitive tender process or perhaps, just didn't believe it was going to happen. In the circumstance, they were left with PW, DTV and Hitech. The international advisers adjudged the tender process a failed one and advised to negotiate directly with each. This was the process that led to the award of the contract to Hitech. I advise that those who can should go to Lagos State Government and read the report issued by the international engineers that advised Lagos State and LCC. Lagos State also had the benefit of being advised by local and international lawyers and let's not forget that discussions on the road project we are talking about started in 2001 and the concession agreement was not executed until 2008! Are we saying 7 years of negotiations involving (1) the passing of a new legislation by the State to back the project; (2) explicit concurrence of the federal government under a tripartite federal support agreement; (3) involvement of international lenders, lawyers and agencies; (4) open town hall meetings involving all stakeholders etc, is not transparent enough?! Guys, Our country is in grave danger of being destroyed by politicians who do not mean well. If we are all looking for a case of grandiose scam, we should focus on the attempt made by a minister to award contract for the construction of a 2nd runway at the Abuja airport for $425m when independent review suggests it should cost no ore than $70m! If you think this road is expensive, please consider that the Abuja airport road (circa 30km) under construction is costing the Federal Government $2bn; and no one can figure out the scam?! On LCC, we should be comforted by a number of things: (1) This is private sector money and government has not left its citizens to the mercy of LCC. They cannot unilaterally set or change tariffs and their profit is capped; (2) They are slow but from what we've seen the quality of the work is good. Do you remember what Law School to Mobil used to look like? (3) Sections of the road will be open to us without needing to pay toll. (4) For a change, someone is doing something; and something good! In all of these, I must however support 100% those who champion the need for transparency in all that Government does. It must however not be at the expense of choosing not to get the facts right. I am amazed at how easy it's been to get the facts on what was otherwise described as a concession shrouded in secrecy.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by lammie01: 1:22pm On Apr 07, 2010
Metea:

(1) This is private sector money and government has not left its citizens to the mercy of LCC. They cannot unilaterally set or change tariffs and their profit is capped; (2) They are slow but from what we've seen the quality of the work is good. Do you remember what Law School to Mobil used to look like? (3) Sections of the road will be open to us without needing to pay toll. (4) For a change, someone is doing something; and something good! In all of these, I must however support 100% those who champion the need for transparency in all that Government does. It must however not be at the expense of choosing not to get the facts right. I am amazed at how easy it's been to get the facts on what was otherwise described as a concession shrouded in secrecy.

How does 1500 hectares of prime land close to the sea fit in your arguement of private sector money? How does 3 toll gates on the road fit in your arguement that govt will cap the tolls? How does your your arguement that the govt will not leave its citizens at the mercy of LCC fit into the governor general Tinubu being the cairman of Hitech and olowalafe the chairman of LCC being Fasholas buddie.

Let the truth be told Govt and LCC are one and the same, Tinub and Fashola are both govts currently and they are both involved in this scam as private sectors. We are no fools The Abuja scam is a scam , the lekki road is another scam , scam and scams everyday

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by babapupa: 6:26pm On Apr 07, 2010
Kobo is back with his/her pointless and silly arguments.

For starters, the deal is having Fashola public account fort his actions. Any sane and reasonable human being knows the only way and avenue for that to happen is within the 4 corner walls of a court of Law. It's absolutely moronic to ask the Governor to stand on the sidewalk and yell to Lagosians what he did or didn't do.

I know Kobo and other loonies like forpeace are off the deep end, but let's just say they have a point per the Governor should publicly address the allegations (Though only stupid idiots and fools addresses allegations in public and I don't expect a lawyer like the Governor himself to make such stupid and ignorant move)

What if the Governor actually addressed the allegations in public and publicly proclaimed his innocence? Are you gonna then say he is innocent because he did exactly what you demanded and end of story or he is still guilty even after doing what you demanded? What if he hands are really not clean? What next? See how stupid and dumb your arguments are?

Kobo, I know you don't think with your head, you think with hatred and odious bad belle, the only way to address this issue is for the group making the allegations to insert their TOP secrete evidence against the governor in the dailies just like they dd with their stupid advertorials for Lagosians to read and see. We are yet to see anything simply because they have nothing beyond their words of mouth claims.

How come the legislators are now telling the group to f-uc-k off and take their allegations directly to the Governor?

How come the legislators are not deploying their powers to subpoena proofs and other evidence from the Governor and the group?

How come the group is not taking it's case to the courts if they really have something to prove?

How come they haven't done what's expected in any sane and civilized society, like taking their case to the state attorney general for further investigation and prosecution?

Y'all need to get a life.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by felele(m): 9:19pm On Apr 08, 2010
i see this thread is beginning to slide in the direction of pointless arguments about the finer points of democratic governance.

In order that we do not lose focus, can we concentrate on the meat of the matter as espoused below by my humble self? Is it also possible for all the Tinubu defenders in here to respond to these "meats of the matter"?
[b]
Frankly, I think the "True Face of Lagos" guys are just a bunch of disgruntled party apparatchiks who have lost their usual feeding troughs in the Fashola administration.

The true meat of the matter is the WAY and MANNER the Lagos-Epe expressway expansion concession was granted, to whom it was granted and what Lagos State Government paid - over N22.5 billion - for the privilege of giving away a major arterial road for 30 years!!!
The true meat of the matter is how Bola Ahmed Tinubu came to be the owner of:

1. 4 Oyinkan Abayomi Drive, Ikoyi.

2. The Lagos State Government Guest House in Abuja

The true meat of the matter is how Trojan Estates Ltd came into ownership of the 250 hectare Royal Gardens Estate, Ajah.

How Ocean and Oil Petroleum (Oando) was able to buy Agip with Lagos State Government funds

How that deal impacted upon who eventually became the Oba of Lagos.

How Oando was able to corner one half of the Gas distribution network concession for metropolitan Lagos (to be fair to them, they are actually performing, as opposed to Atiku's Gasland, which cornered the other half, comprising Lekki, Epe, Lagos Island, Victoria Island and Ikoyi)

These, amongst others are the real questions that the Government of Lagos State, and not necessarily the person of Babatunde Raji Fashola, need to address, and immediately too.

For Fashola, I understand his position, but a true man dies but once. Cowards die several times before their actual death. To use the fear of Tinubu as an excuse to turn a blind eye is to open yourself to allegations, possibly provable on the probability of guilt by association, of collusion in the BLEEDING of Lagos State by the self same Bola Ahmed Tinubu![/b]

I also propose that the Tinubu apologists here give us an answer to the following post:

lammie01:

How does 1500 hectares of prime land close to the sea fit in your arguement of private sector money? How does 3 toll gates on the road fit in your arguement that govt will cap the tolls? How does your your arguement that the govt will not leave its citizens at the mercy of LCC fit into the governor general Tinubu being the cairman of Hitech and olowalafe the chairman of LCC being Fasholas buddie.

Let the truth be told Govt and LCC are one and the same, Tinubu and Fashola are both govts currently and they are both involved in this scam as private sectors. We are no fools The Abuja scam is a scam , the lekki road is another scam , scam and scams everyday

Bearing in mind of course, the salient fact that Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Tunji Olowolafe are the Chairmen of HiTech Construction and Lekki Concession Company respectively, and the curious fact that the same Tunji Olowolafe is now the subject of the allegations made by "The True Face of Lagos" regarding favouritism by Fashola in the award of contracts state wide.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by idifu(m): 2:23pm On May 26, 2010
@babapupa corruption is not progress o abeg stop mixing d two together, loud-mouth, delusional modafucka
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by babapupa: 2:54pm On May 26, 2010
^^^^You really don't have to yell or course, just make your worthless point and keep it moving.

And like I said, I don't have time to waste going back n forth with you and your enemy of progress crew.

Your silly noise on NL is not going to prevent Fashola from commissioning another project tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, it's not going to prevent Lagosians from applauding and singing his praise.

This is just internet noise and you and your people are entitled to do just that.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by babapupa: 3:01pm On May 26, 2010
Fashola Hands Over Eight Roads, 2million Gallons Water Works.

May 25, 2010 - Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Tuesday handed over eight major roads and a two million gallon capacity Water Works to the people, promising that the phase two of the Adiyan Mini Water Works with a capacity for 75 million gallons of water a day is on the way.

Governor Fashola who spoke at Meiran in continuation of his delivery of dividends of democracy to the people of Lagos where he handed over a two million gallon capacity Mini Water Works said the phase two is expected to complement the water output at the Adiyan one Waterworks.

He added that the Meiran Water Works represents the seventh to be handed over by the present administration since the beginning of this year listing them as in Ojo, Mende, Epe, Isheri-Oshun, Magodo and Ajegunle.

The Governor explained that in order to ensure that residents of Meiran get the water supplied to their residences, a reticulation of about five kilometers have been put in place by the water Corporation.

He was certain that the issue of people carrying pails and buckets across several kilometres in search of portable is becoming a thing of the past with the efforts of the State Government in providing pipe-borne water for its teeming residents.

Governor Fashola while handing over the Abule Egba/Ekoro/Agbelekale road told the residents that it is because of the intention of the Government to ensure that the same quality service enjoyed by people living in Victoria Island and Ikoyi is replicated in Meiran that the road is being handled by the same contractor Hitech that has handled similar ones in other parts of the State.

He said while the Government would continue to ensure that it provides a qualitative piece of life to the people, it would be their responsibility to encourage the administration by ensuring that they pay their taxes regularly.

The Governor urged the people to always obtain building approvals before they commence construction of any structure, adding that when people build without approved plans it often leads to distortion of the masterplan.

He also said the various developmental projects and infrastructural improvement across the State have led to the empowerment of several classes of people, affirming that cost of renting houses in the Ekoro and Abule Egba area has gone up considerably following the construction of the roads. He however appealed to the landlord to be considerate in charging new rates.

He urged the residents of areas that have not been touched by government to exercise patience, saying that all parts of the State would feel the presence of the government.

The Governor also urged motorists to take cognizance of the pedestrians on the walkways provided on the roads, reminding them that pedestrians as tax payers also have a right to use the walkways unhindered.

Said he: "Our work has just started. Please let everyone be patient with us. We will construct the roads in phases and ensure that they interlink. We cannot construct roads that lead nowhere. They must be linked."

The Lagos State helmsman told the audience that as long as the people kept faith with the party of ideas which is the Action Congress, more goodies are still on the way coming for the people and will happen during their lifetime.

At the Mancity/Olaniyi road in Ifako Ijaiye, Governor Fashola commended the spirit of service of the Local Government Chairmen in the area both past and present for being selfless and always placing service to the community above all other considerations.

While emphasizing his call for peaceful coexistence, Governor Fashola said as long as the people keep the peace, respect each other's religious, ethnic beliefs and respect leaders in the society, nothing would be impossible to achieve in Lagos State.

Speaking at the handing over of the Mancity/Olaniyi road, the Chairman of the Ifako Ijaiye Local Government, Mr Adeyemi Olabinjo thanked the Governor for coming to the aid of the people of the area in providing a grade A road that would help reduce pressure on the Lagos Abeokuta Express Way.

Mr Olabinjo said in line with the welfarist posture of Governor Fashola, he ruled against toll collection on the road by the Local Government, pleading with Governor Fashola to assist the council with other major roads in the area.

Also speaking at the Ekoro road handing over, a community leader in the area, Chief Kola Ogunjale commended the Governor for bringing smiles and comfort to the residents of the area, saying his feat is unparallelled nationwide.

He added that with his experience across several nations of the world, Governor Fashola is a leader who is different and uncommon and prayed for longevity for everyone to be able to witness the transformation which Lagos is experiencing through the Governor.

Governor Fashola who also drove through the Iju road which is undergoing construction was accompanied on the handing over trip by the Deputy Governor, Princess Sarah Adebisi Sosan, members of the State Executive Council, members of the State House of Assembly, Local Government Council and Local Council Development Areas Chairmen, Osun State Governorship candidate of the Action Congress in the 2007 elections, Engineer Rauf Aregbesola, National Assembly members representing the State, party leaders, community leaders and very appreciative members of host communities who came out to cheer the Governor at the various event venues.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by blacksta(m): 3:16pm On May 26, 2010
Mr Babapupa

Please i require a honest answer - Dont you find this bizarre both Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Tunji Olowolafe are the Chairmen of HiTech Construction and Lekki Concession Company respectively - Do you not think we have a conflict of interest here. It is known fact the guy (Mr. Makanjuola Alabi) who runs adverstisment billboards for the Lagos i think it is called LASAA is also a Director of one of the largest private Media Agencies in Lagos whose company was a nobody before his appointment and now the biggest player.

Whats your take on the above.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by babapupa: 5:02pm On May 26, 2010
blacksta:

Mr Babapupa

Please  i require a honest answer - Dont you find this bizarre  both  Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Tunji Olowolafe are the Chairmen of HiTech Construction and Lekki Concession Company respectively - Do you not think we have a conflict of interest here.  It is known  fact the guy (Mr. Makanjuola Alabi) who runs  adverstisment billboards for the Lagos i think it is called LASAA is also a Director of one of the  largest private Media Agencies in Lagos whose company was a nobody before his appointment and now the biggest player.

Whats your take on the above. 

This is what many people don't understand.

Every society on the face of the earth is not immune to shady dealings, even in the western world where they scream and yell democracy.

The fact is, Nigeria is still a country of law and Lagos state is blessed with capable judiciary and law/legislative sector to handle any form of illegalities.

Only Lagos judges sends politicians to jail.

The EFCC is also there to look into anything. I'm not saying things are perfect in the state of Lagos, things are definitely not, but I can not afford to stay  close minded, shut my eyes and start acting as if Lagos is still the old Lagos of even 4 years ago.

I not bury my head in the sand and start acting as if who owns what and who owns that is the only thing going on in Lagos. Lagosians on a daily basis are feeling the positive impact of their votes, their leaders are delivering on a massive scale that can never be duplicated any where in Nigeria, even at the federal level. This is unheard of in Nigeria.

So far in the last 2 weeks alone, the state commissioned 17 major projects from road to bridges, waterworks and many more. The year is not even half way in and they've commissioner dozens of projects and I see them handing over hundreds before the end of the year. Is this not we want them to do? is this not what we have been crying for?

And if you guys care so much about Lagosians, how come none of you guys are talking about these commissioned projects and many good things within the state? Are the same Lagosians not enjoying the benefits off these projects? Is this not what we put them in office to do? Work and deliver on behalf of the people. Why is it that all you guys talk about and peddle is yet to be proven rumors and innuendos.

Of what use is bothering myself with innuendos and rumors? If the allegations are true, let other folks charged with looking into such worry about that. Just this morning, LASEPA shut down 8 comps for several environmental violations. So, is LASEPA owned by Tinubu or one of his friends or the director of LASEPA used to own an environmental company?

The fact is, no society is perfect and obviously Lagos is not, but the state is delivering, they are doing their job.

Before Fashola, Lagos was dirty and filthy, the state was littered with dirty and ugly signs and billboards, even on 3rdMB. The same state signage agency you're talking about got rid of the dirty signs and billboard, they improved the aesthetic image of the state.

If the state suggest building a sidewalk, same clueless folks on NL screams and yell, if the state suggests building a airport, they lose their shallow thinking minds. It's just hard for me to take them seriously because it's obvious their interests and concerns has nothing to do with the average Lagosian.

This is why it's very heard for me to take some of you seriously and I never will.

Lagos is more than who owns what and all the other silly stuff.
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by SisiKill1: 7:18pm On May 26, 2010
[Quote]pusillanimous[/quote]

[I]*scratching head*[/I]

Pullywhatnow?
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by oluwabamis(m): 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2010
fashola should as a matter of urgency look into the issue of tolling on the lagos-epe road. I think something is not right. There is also the issue of fencing off existing business on both sides of the road, fashola should prove to lagosians that his govt is not just about generating revenue for the state, but also people oriented.
the governor should take it easy oo, we dont have other place than this lagos
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Pygru: 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
Ewww shocked
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by awhagwan: 10:16pm On Jul 18, 2013
[size=20pt]Ehhhhnnnnn!!!!?[/size] This is would have been unbelievable in 2010, but today, we now know ALL of these allegations to be true!!!

[size=16pt]I now know that Lagosians are all certified Mumus!!![/size]

How can one man pocket 20 million people like this? [size=25pt]Thief-nubu, you try gaan o!! Chai!!![/size]
felele:

Er, actually, my good [size=20pt]Dr. Kitaun[/size], no. You couldn't be further from the truth on that one.

Besides the fact that I DO NOT do government contracts, I actually suspected this deal from day one, when they said it would cost N50 billion. It's not a completely new road, fer chrissakes, even if it were, it would still not cost [size=20pt]N1 billion per kilometre![/size]

The clincher for me was the sudden need of the Lagos State government of the day to part with [size=20pt]1500 hectares of prime Lekki land[/size] as their own contribution to the deal. If they are contributing about HALF the cost of building the road, why not kuku finance the whole thing with taxpayers' funds, which they alleged was about [size=20pt]N8 billion gross per month[/size] (Tinubu's boast on IGR, not mine), and not disenfranchise the indigenous landowners in the name of "Public Private Partnership", their buzzword of the time?

I am just pissed that Ikorodu road was built by some individuals with their funds and contributions from others, yet they did not ask for a penny in return, yet so called Governors are annexing public property in the name of development. Tinubu must think we all have sawdust for brains.

Fashola NEEDS TO CANCEL THIS DEAL AND RETURN THE ROAD TO PUBLIC OWNERSHIP, while at the same time revoke the 1500 hectares allocated to ARM and return same to the indigenous people who own the land!!!!

Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by Pygru: 5:14pm On Jul 19, 2013
awhagwan: [size=20pt]Ehhhhnnnnn!!!!?[/size] This is would have been unbelievable in 2010, but today, we now know ALL of these allegations to be true!!!

[size=16pt]I now know that Lagosians are all certified Mumus!!![/size]

How can one man pocket 20 million people like this? [size=25pt]Thief-nubu, you try gaan o!! Chai!!![/size]
grin grin grin
Re: Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam by TylerDurden: 12:35pm On Mar 20, 2020
Fashole

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cancer On The Rise, But Treatment Costs N0.5m Monthly In Nigeria / Fight At APC Convention Wounds 70, As Buhari & Atiku Supporters Clash (Photos) / BREAKING: Mayhem In House Of Reps Over South-east Devt. Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.