Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,824 members, 7,872,766 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:25 PM

Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report (2305 Views)

8 Suspected Kidnappers Of Chibok Girls Arrested By Police 4 Years After (Photos) / The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal / "Shettima Is The Boko Haram Boss & The Keeper Of Chibok Girls" - Sheriff's Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 24, 2017
The Federal Government paid €3m for the release of some Chibok schoolgirls who were in Boko Haram custody, according to Wall Street Journal.

In 2014, Boko Haram insurgents had kidnapped 276 girls from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state.

Of the 276, 163 are now free: 57 fled in the early days after their abduction, three escaped later, and a Swiss-coached mediation secured 103.

Twenty-one of the 103 were freed on October 13, 2016, while the remaining 82 were freed on May 6 this year.

In a detailed report on the incident, WSJ said while €1m was paid for the 21 first freed, additional €2m accompanied the five Boko Haram commanders that were exchanged with the next batch: the 82 girls.

TheCable had earlier reported how the €2m were reportedly paid.

Ahmad Salkida, a journalist known to have links with the sect, and Zannah Mustapha, a lawyer, were said to be key mediators involved in both deals.

After months of talks involving Salkida and Mustapha, a breakthrough was finally reached when in late 2016, both parties agreed on a plan concerning the girls’ freedom.

WSJ said: “The plan called for two exchanges. In the first one, Boko Haram would free 20 Chibok hostages in exchange for €1m.

“If both sides were satisfied with the outcome, the rest of the girls who wanted to come home would be swapped in a second exchange in return for €2 and five imprisoned Boko Haram commanders.”

“As Mustapha worked through the details and tried to maintain the confidence of both sides, the Nigerian government began the delicate process of finding prisoners Shekau would deem acceptable.

“Salkida was the man picked for the task. He began to crisscross Nigeria combing jails and interviewing inmates, looking for militants who fit the profile.”

The report added that while the deal began coming together, there were fears that President Muhammdu Buhari might not approve of it.

“The President was eager for a victory. He also loathed the idea of paying Boko Haram. No one knew if he would sign off,” it said.

“In the end, he approved the deal, with a condition: He insisted that any money that reached Boko Haram would be a step toward a comprehensive peace agreement.

“Since the insurgents collected their €3m, some Nigerian officials say an army that had struggled to feed itself seems replenished,” it stated.

TheCable stated that it was not able to independently verify the claims concerning the payment.

When contacted, Femi Adesina, Buhari’s spokesman, neither confirmed nor denied the claims.

“Ask them to show the evidence,” Adesina told TheCable via a text message.

http://punchng.com/buhari-paid-boko-haram-e3m-for-release-of-chibok-girls-report/
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 6:51am On Dec 24, 2017
Only heavens know what Buhari wants to do with our $1 billion dollars oh!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 24, 2017
Gavelslam come and defend your master
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Mcsenior(m): 4:01pm On Dec 24, 2017
$1B new release; more loots to share

Visit NATURAL REMEDY LAB today for natural home made remedies for all diseases & infections.
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nwodosis(m): 4:05pm On Dec 24, 2017
shocked
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Okoroawusa: 4:21pm On Dec 24, 2017
And so?
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by rifasenate11(m): 4:28pm On Dec 24, 2017
Buhari is the only one that knows how his cohorts formed BH and he is doing very well to support thier campaigns. Buhari is a terrorist

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by ehinmowo: 4:36pm On Dec 24, 2017
It shows d dumbness of the the current govt. imagine €3m in the hands of insurgents.

And now he wants to spend $1bn to fight Bokoharam

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 24, 2017
ehinmowo:
It shows d dumbness of the the current govt. imagine €3m in the hands of insurgents.

Better pounds sterling...hard currency.
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 24, 2017
One billion dollars again to put in the hands of BH.... God forbid!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Omeokachie: 9:21pm On Dec 24, 2017
They will still vote for this incompetent tyrant come 2019, and wail about their future being mortgaged!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Adezzy007: 11:36pm On Dec 24, 2017
I don't really care what he did to get those girls back. If my sister is among them I would love to have her back by any possible means. Since the last govt failed to do it but the present govt should equip the military to wipe out boko haram and fulani militants

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by rdokoye: 11:46pm On Dec 24, 2017
So he should give them more money, empowering them in the process. You get your daughter or sister back, but 100s more will die, in the bombings, financed by the Chibok girls release.

There's a reason why the West "DOES NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORIST".
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 4:06am On Dec 25, 2017
Don't you find it curious that none of the "rescued" girls have ever been allowed to speak with the press?

Adezzy007:
I don't really care what he did to get those girls back. If my sister is among them I would love to have her back by any possible means. Since the last govt failed to do it but the present govt should equip the military to wipe out boko haram and fulani militants

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by nawtyme: 4:09am On Dec 25, 2017
Gave them money, released their henchmen from detention hence their renewed attacks, and now you need 1billion to fight them.
Yet zombies said he would lead the army to war against boko haram.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 4:11am On Dec 25, 2017
360 billion naira, 1billion USD! A MAN WHO CANNOT FULFILL ANY CAMPAIGN PROMISE... cheesy

nawtyme:
Gave them money, released their henchmen from detention hence their renewed attacks, and now you need 1billion to fight them.
Yet zombies said he would lead the army to war against boko haram.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by cstr1001: 5:17am On Dec 25, 2017
This is a very serious accusation.

TREASON.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 5:46am On Dec 25, 2017
cstr1001:
This is a very serious accusation.

TREASON.

IS IT YOUR TREASON OR PMB'S OWN AS ALLEGED BY PUNCH NEWSPAPERS AN APC MEDIA OUTFIT?
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by cstr1001: 5:49am On Dec 25, 2017
badebillions:

IS IT YOUR TREASON OR PMB'S OWN AS ALLEGED BY PUNCH NEWSPAPERS AN APC MEDIA OUTFIT?
It is treasonous if it is true that the presidency funded BH with 3m Euros.

Everybody culpable from the president to his aides should face life in prison.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 25, 2017
NIGERIA IS RUINED BEYOND THAT.. LEADERS ARE NOW MEASURED BY LEVELS OF INCOMPETENCY.... MY INCOMPETENCY IS BETTER THAN YOURS.. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

cstr1001:

It is treasonous if it is true that the presidency funded BH with 3m Euros.

Everybody culpable from the president to his aides should face life in prison.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by otil1: 8:33am On Dec 25, 2017
badebillions:

GavelSlam, a real devil on Nairaland. Betraying his country and thinking he is making sense as a paid social media influencer. Just for the paltry N30k from BMC
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Ovamboland(m): 9:26am On Dec 25, 2017
badebillions:

You forget easily that your hero was scammed to pay over $40 million and no single Chibok girl was released.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 25, 2017
Ovamboland:

You forget easily that your hero was scammed to pay over $40 million and no single Chibok girl was released.
I don't do deek measuring contests in incompetency

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by GavelSlam: 9:47am On Dec 25, 2017
badebillions:

I don't do deek measuring contests in incompetency

Yes you would rather the girls were killed because they are not your blood sisters.

Does the US despite their "We never negotiate with terrorist" mantra not pay ransom?

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by coputa(m): 9:56am On Dec 25, 2017
ehinmowo:

To finance Boko haram.
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by GavelSlam: 9:57am On Dec 25, 2017
otil1:

GavelSlam, a real devil on Nairaland. Betraying his country and thinking he is making sense as a paid social media influencer. Just for the paltry N30k from BMC

Like I told one of your uncouth, brain dead colleagues yesterday i am not responsible for the poverty you were born into.

Where were you when the school bells rang?

Take your frustration to those that sired you.

30k is far less than I make daily and I'm not even being brash about it.

Pray to God you have a member of your family that can work and earn as I do.

Nonsense.

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by coputa(m): 9:59am On Dec 25, 2017
Ovamboland:

Is he their patron
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by otil1: 10:01am On Dec 25, 2017
GavelSlam:

Like I told one of your uncouth, brain dead colleagues yesterday i am not responsible for the poverty you were born into.

Where were you when the school bells rang?

Take your frustration to those that sired you.

30k is far less than I make daily and I'm not even being brash about it.

Pray to God you have a member of your family that can work and earn as I do.

Nonsense.

So typical of @GavelSlam. You never disappoint.

Keep deceiving yourself that you are having fun. Truth be said, your brash response exposes your hollowness and insecurity.

School bells? Gosh! What's the link

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by GavelSlam: 10:06am On Dec 25, 2017
otil1:

So typical of @GavelSlam. You never disappoint.

Keep deceiving yourself that you are having fun. Truth be said, your brash response exposes your hollowness and insecurity.

School bells? Gosh! What's the link

If you had sufficient brain cells and had not been involved in examination malpractice as you were from nursery school, perhaps you would have realised I make my earnings from being a professional; From what I studied beyond postgraduate level.

Get a life .
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by uwa1(m): 10:10am On Dec 25, 2017
Ok
Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by garriguy: 10:18am On Dec 25, 2017
It's better than embezzlement

Meanwhile

For this Christmas season, I will be appreciating everyone for their contribution and dedication by giving my book (normal price is 2,000) for free, only for today.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!!!

Download here

http://www.garriprocessing.com/2017/12/download-for-free-be-your-own-manager.html

Below is the table of contents

1 Like

Re: Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report by Ishilove: 10:44am On Dec 25, 2017
GavelSlam:

If you had sufficient brain cells and had not been involved in examination malpractice as you were from nursery school, perhaps you would have realised I make my earnings from being a professional; From what I studied beyond postgraduate level.

Get a life .
Ahn ahn!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Yoruba And Igbo / Rivers Guber: Wike Cries Out, Reveals Those Struggling To Destroy Election Resul / The Language Of Oza-nogogo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.