Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,005 members, 7,949,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 09:28 AM

My FIFA World Cup Reminiscences - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My FIFA World Cup Reminiscences (360 Views)

NFF, Friends Deserted Me During My FIFA Ban - Siasia Narrates Ordeal / Nigeria Vs Zambia: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier - 1 - 0 (Full Time) / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My FIFA World Cup Reminiscences by obax321(m): 2:13pm On Dec 30, 2017

My FIFA World Cup Reminiscences

Mexico ’86 was the first FIFA World Cup I saw on Television. I remember watching some of the matches on my Dad’s newly-bought black and white 14″ Television made by President. It was a glorious thing. A certain Diego Armando Maradona dazzled the World of football with his mercurial skills and deft touches. The Mundial has never seen anything like it.

The 2018 FIFA World Cup which is the 21st edition starts in 166 days at the Luzhniki Stadium in the Russian city of Moscow. Eleven cities and twelve venues have been designated to host the biggest sporting event in the World. I look forward to the Russians putting together a great event that will linger in our memories for long.

The FIFA World Cup is coming back to Europe for the first time since Germany hosted it in 2006. Fourteen European teams, Five African teams, Five Asian teams, Five South American teams, and three teams from North America will be competing for the diadem. Surprisingly, Italy, Holland, and USA will all be missing in action. Italy will not be at the tournament for the first time since 1958!

The first FIFA World held in 1930 in Uruguay was an invitational tournament of only thirteen teams invited by FIFA then led by the Brazzilian Jules Rimet. It was won by the home team Uruguay who defeated Argentina by 4-2. No team outside Europe or South America have won the tournament till date. Will Russia 2018 break the cycle?

The FIFA World Cup is the greatest of all sporting events. I’ve seen great matches at the World Cup. I’ve seen great coaches. I’ve seen great teams. I’ve seen great players. I’ve seen great goalkeepers. Starting from this week, check on this page for weekly articles about the FIFA World Cup till the commencement of the tournament on the 14th June, 2018. And during the tournament proper, expect to read from me daily.

I wish you happy 2018.

Written by Obafemi Aridegbe

obafemiaris@aol.com

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Governor Wike Rewards Go Round FC With N50m, New Bus / Moses: I’m Pleased To Score Vs Brighton, It Was Long Overdue / Google Celebrates Late Stephen Keshi Who Would Have Marked 56 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.