Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,979 members, 7,906,686 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 02:22 PM

You Are A Quack - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You Are A Quack (468 Views)

Revealed Why Nigeria Produces Quack Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Are A Quack by seguntijan(m): 3:47am On Jan 02, 2018
I paid a visit to a group of friends who work in same office. It was more of a surprise visit because I was meeting them for the first time. Out of the intermix of joy, I was introduced to the MD who’s a committed member of CIPM. He asked if this is the “Prof” and they were all happy to say “Yes”. Then he asked if I was a member of a CIPM and I said “No”. He just busted my memes by saying “You are a Quack HR Practitioner”. No feedback ever got me thinking like this. Was he right?! Yes! He was absolutely right.
That day I made up my mind to give it all it takes to become a member. After my induction I told another friend that I was going to show that man that am no longer a “Quack”. He told me to wait till am an active member. And I asked how, he said until I make meaningful contributions to the profession, I remain a Quack. That was another bust.
No matter how good you are or how much experience you gather in any field, if you don’t have a commitment to that profession, you are a Quack. That’s the simple meaning of being a Quack. Also, if you don’t commit to the progress of that progression, you are a “certified Quack”.
Your true commitment to any profession is how you give back to that profession. Your life and conduct has to demonstrate the value proposition and creed of that profession. You need to keep up to your oath of allegiance and be forthright.
I was trained by Deloitte as an Accountant, but I was not serious about my professional examination. I left years after not minding if I was a qualified Accountant or not. I knew I was good at the job until a day when I got a call from a friend to take up the position of a CFO with official car and about 3x my salary. He asked for my cv and I was quick to send; but after a few minutes he called back that I was rejected because I was not a qualified Accountant. They needed someone who could sign their Accounts and also stand in professional gap. Perhaps if it was a ministerial appointment that required such professional qualification that’s how it would have panned out. I regretted not taking up my exams then and made up my mind to go back to school. It is not too late for me.
If you are looking for a valuable space in your career and profession, demonstrate commitment by being a TRUE PROFESSIONAL AND NOT A QUACK.

2 Likes

Re: You Are A Quack by odiereke(m): 6:03am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice tips, nice write up.

(1) (Reply)

Thread For Those With Fear Of Public Speaking. / Is A Title Or A Position Needed To Be A Leader? / What's The Best Way To Learn An Ict Skill (esp. Graphics Design)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.