Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,620 members, 7,888,977 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:39 PM

Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) (55154 Views)

LAUTECH Online Transcripts And Letter Of English Proficiency / 7 Keys To Writing A Story That Scores High In Your English Exams / Test Your English Proficiency Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Sike(m): 8:10am On Jan 07, 2018
Eleyi gidi gan o
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ebomo79: 8:15am On Jan 07, 2018
A mother does not need to be drunk to beat her daughter. The odd thing in the write up is the reason for the beating "because she was drunk" this can possibly be that the mother got mad and beat up her daughter for being drunk. Therefore, it was the daughter that was drunk.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by wtfcoded: 8:38am On Jan 07, 2018
ezelous:
F9

ITI.
Olodo lecturer
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by wtfcoded: 8:54am On Jan 07, 2018
BMCSlayer:
The mother.
Its like my dad slapped me because he was angry.
"My dad slapped me because...." is different from "A dad slapped his son because..."
Check the question again.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by BMCSlayer: 8:58am On Jan 07, 2018
Adanne9110:
sorry dear not the same,,,,it's quite different,,,except u would say ' my dad slapped him because he was angry' "me" makes your example ist person while "he" makes it third person
its really not? I brought up this question yesterday night and my house has been arguing it since.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by AmbAyomideMFR(m): 9:03am On Jan 07, 2018
Lol......Olodo somebody
veekid:
Mtchew! Very simple thing!!!
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ExplicitContent: 9:28am On Jan 07, 2018
placeofallure:

I pity y'all clicking like to support this post. Somebody just told you that the word 'she' is an adverb and you never thought to re-examine it in your heads. Of course 'she' is a pronoun just like He, Her, Him, I, We, Us, It, They, Them etc.

As regards the post: 'The mother beat her daughter because she was drunk '
Like BigBelleControl said earlier, 'because she was drunk' is an adverbial clause of reason showing why the daughter was beaten. But what the subordinate clause, which is an adverbial clause of reason didn't tell us is this:
Whether the woman beat the daughter out of her
own drunkenness. OR
Whether the daughter got beaten because she
was drunk.

Therefore, I rule that the sentence is ambiguous. That's why aspiring writers are advised against vague use of pronouns or any word for that matter for clarity purposes. Thanks.

You are correct dear. Pronoun not adverb.
I was drunk myself when i made the post. grin grin I just wake up the see mentionsss..
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ExplicitContent: 9:29am On Jan 07, 2018
femeritus:

"she" is not an adverb please. It's a pronoun.

Modified: na higness cause am.. Guess its me the mother will beat now!
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by FunctionX(m): 10:10am On Jan 07, 2018
Whether the mother or the daughter. All I know is that there were a drunk.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 07, 2018
Babes no dey comment for dis type.... if na Fvck and money matter... you for their rat mouth dey sharp.... dull Naija babes

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by prodigiousangel(m): 10:22am On Jan 07, 2018
richG:
Hmmm it's ambiguous

U sabi�
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ufuosman(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2018
The daughter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by SaintOpzy(m): 11:01am On Jan 07, 2018
BigBelleControl:
This is an adverbial clause of reason which modifies the verb drunk which is the reason for the action.

Therefore the daughter is the drunk one.

Bruv in this case...Drunk isn't a verb
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by auska2(m): 11:09am On Jan 07, 2018
the mother eg the mother beat her daughter because she was angry .so who was angry?
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 07, 2018
BigBelleControl:
This is an adverbial clause of reason which modifies the verb drunk which is the reason for the action.

Therefore the daughter is the drunk one.

U are partly right by correctly spotting and naming the clause. However, your conclusion was wrong.
''because she was drunk' is the clause trying to throw more light on the finite verb ''beat''

So jumping into the conclusion that it was the daughter was rather hasty.

It could also be that neighbours who knew the mother as caring and over protective were wondering why she beat her daughter on that fateful Day and the answer to their questions prompted this sentence.

So, I will say it's a 2way statement! There are lots Of them in English
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by sajis: 11:58am On Jan 07, 2018
Their Uncle
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Reeberry: 12:05pm On Jan 07, 2018
daylife7:
Babes no dey comment for dis type.... if na Fvck and money matter... you for their rat mouth dey sharp.... dull Naija babes
Lol. You noticed. Why are they like that? grin
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by obatoro: 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
The mother was drunk. The daughter was not beaten for being drunk.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Bahddo(m): 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2018
Not enough info to tell which it is. Only says the reason for the slap, but isn't clear about who was drunk.

Writers should always avoid ambiguity, unless it's for a good reason.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Sugar97(f): 1:16pm On Jan 07, 2018
echelons:
Obviously the daughter.. Action and consequence.. Get drunk, get beaten.

How about drink and beat someone? Its also action and consequence. Beating another because u're drunk
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Sugar97(f): 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2018
okonja:
The mother is drunk because a mother in her right sense would not beat her daughter for no reason. cool

Lol...just because it wasn't stated doesn't mean there' was no reason
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by eminent007(m): 1:53pm On Jan 07, 2018
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Samirana360(m): 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2018
momove4real25:
lipsrsealed :-Xbad niga spotted
fine girl found
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Obeysco: 2:31pm On Jan 07, 2018
It is the daughter, using the law of proximity.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by techJ: 3:01pm On Jan 07, 2018
It's really funny that a lot of people here are so sure it's the mother that was drunk, while others were sp sure that it's the daughter. The truth is, both groups are correct. The statement is contracted, thus became ambigious. If we expand the statement, then we can get the specific meaning. For example, these 2 statements can be deducted or inferred:

A mother beat hee daughter because the daughter was drunk

Or

A mother beat her daughter because the mother was drunk.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by nellyelitz(m): 3:07pm On Jan 07, 2018
Daughter: 'because' summee it.

I'm not too good in English language sha
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by dam007(m): 3:07pm On Jan 07, 2018
The op is drunk
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Jhayeahsam01(m): 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2018
you all failed simple English

in this scenario

****the cane she use to beat the daugher was drunk ****

the phrasal verb of this action is synometrical to the effect of the cane... not indicating maybe it was sugar cane or canosynthesis koboko..

in reference to the standard cambridge english

mesmarising the action of mother to daughter via cane is called logical parental PUNISHMENT
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by MightySparrow: 3:56pm On Jan 07, 2018
Because the woman,, the daughter,, and the OP were drunk.....

Why asking me such question?
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by mychaty: 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2018
Let's look at it this way
"because" in this context explains the action of the sentence.
The action of the sentence is someone beating the other.
Now the reason "being drunk" explains why the action "beating" was carried out by "who?"..... the mother!!!
So, the mother was the one drunk

Butressing, If the daughter were to be the one drunk, the sentence should have been presented as
"A mother beat her daughter for being drunk"
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Dhorcas(f): 6:16pm On Jan 07, 2018
I think its the mother.
OK. No, tthe daughter.

Abel, how do we know the answer. Op?
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by placeofallure(f): 6:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
ExplicitContent:

You are correct dear. Pronoun not adverb.
I was drunk myself when i made the post. grin grin I just wake up the see mentionsss..

Oops! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Difference Between State University And Federal University / 2016/2017 Seplat Undergraduate Scholarship / Jamb 2012/2013 Utme Registration Form Now Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.