Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,112 members, 7,896,738 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 08:12 PM

87 Traffic Officials Dismissed In Lagos ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 87 Traffic Officials Dismissed In Lagos ! (545 Views)

Why Is Fuel #87 In The North And #120 - #130 In The East? / 25 Youth Corp Members Dismissed In Jigawa Camp / Ibori's Conviction Appeal Dismissed In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

87 Traffic Officials Dismissed In Lagos ! by wales(m): 8:08am On Apr 09, 2010
The commissioner for transport in Lagos State, Bamidele Badejo, on Thursday appealed to Lagos residents to take advantage of the complaint units at various licensing offices to report erring officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency, LASTMA, instead of “taking laws into their hands by attacking (the) officers.”

“It is disheartening to note that the last one year witnessed fifty-eight accidents/attacks on our personnel resulting in eight deaths,” Mr. Badejo said at the ministerial press briefing held in Alausa.

However, the attack on LASTMA officials by motorists is a direct reflection of the incessant excesses of the traffic management officials.

The state government has turned a deaf ear to motorists’ overwhelming complaints until recently, when the helpless motorists started to claim back a pound of flesh from the officials.

Getting serious with discipline

“The fear of LASTMA is the beginning of wisdom,” is a common cliché that portrays the rate at with which the traffic officials have always got away with their well reported excesses, but Mr. Badejo assured Lagosians of a new attitude towards the discipline of LASTMA officials and appealed, therefore, that they report erring officials.

“Let me state categorically that this government will not tolerate any act by its officials that can bring its name to disrepute,” Mr. Badejo said, while disclosing that 87 LASTMA officials have been dismissed from the agency in the last 12 months, while there are about 115 cases awaiting adjudication by the agency’s personnel management board.

On the other hand, Mr. Badejo noted that Lagosians are improving on their compliance with traffic regulations as the statistics revealed decrease in number and degree of road accidents and offences.

The commissioner also said the negotiation for the takeover of the three watch towers in Ijora, Costain, and Apongbon was concluded last month and rehabilitation will soon commence to use the towers to monitor traffic and security.

He commended the attitudes of Lagosians towards public infrastructure, while announcing that 10 roads have been fitted with roads studs.

“I am happy to inform you that there has not been any report of vandalism of the road stud installation since the year 2007 to date. This signifies that our people are now better informed about the composition of the road studs, as against the erroneous old belief that the studs contain mercury, which is used for producing fake currencies,” he said.

The commissioner also revealed that the days of evading the agencies enforcing validity of vehicle particulars are numbered as the state government is planning to implement an auto-inspector, a device that electronically checks the validity of vehicles. The device will also put an end to traffic snarls that result when motorists are accosted by vehicle inspection officers.

Link:
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5552173-147/87_traffic_officials_dismissed_in_lagos.csp

Re: 87 Traffic Officials Dismissed In Lagos ! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 09, 2010
I dont get this. . . TO were dismissed, but in the article all I read was about fearing LASTMA etc
Re: 87 Traffic Officials Dismissed In Lagos ! by wales(m): 4:30pm On Apr 09, 2010
“Let me state categorically that this government will not tolerate any act by its officials that can bring its name to disrepute,” Mr. Badejo said, while disclosing that 87 LASTMA officials have been dismissed from the agency in the last 12 months, while there are about 115 cases awaiting adjudication by the agency’s personnel management board.

Hope you can also read from the statement that 87 was also dismissed from the agency.
Re: 87 Traffic Officials Dismissed In Lagos ! by dani1luv: 5:50pm On Apr 10, 2010
FL Gators:

I dont get this. . . TO were dismissed, but in the article all I read was about fearing LASTMA etc
I was also confused

Moved to Politics Section

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan, Alleged Bomber’s Father Meet / Spousal Abuse: Presidential Style / Yayale To Take Charge …as Jonathan Jets To Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.