Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,218 members, 7,925,774 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 10:52 PM

Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' (2265 Views)

TMG Dissociate Self From Presidential Debates, Accuse Organizers Of Fraud / Boko-Haram Cannot Islamize Nigeria - Borno Governor / Boko Haram’s Cameroon Connection: Fear Of Islamic Extremism In Cameroon: Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by princekevo(m): 5:40pm On Apr 13, 2010
Politicians in Borno State in north-eastern Nigeria are debating a bill aimed at curbing religious extremism.

The Islamic Preaching Bill would outlaw preaching likely to cause a breach of the peace as well as requiring most clerics to obtain a preaching licence.

The legislation was proposed after an Islamic sect was blamed for sectarian violence in northern Nigeria last year in which hundreds of people died.

Sharia code runs alongside secular law in 12 of Nigeria's 36 states.

Our correspondent says recommendations for preaching licences would be given by a new Islamic Religious Preaching Board consisting of clerics, public administrators and security personnel.

Imams of Friday mosque congregations and those who have led congregational prayers at religious festivals would be exempt from having to obtain a licence.

The bill is an attempt to prevent a recurrence of the violence which spread across Nigeria's northern states in July 2009 when supporters of an Islamic sect called Boko Haram - known locally as the "Taliban" - attacked police and government offices.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8617813.stm

I really hope this is gonna bring an end to the madness in the north.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 13, 2010
We will know they mean business when they opt out of Sharia criminal code.

That will be a good start.

This business of giving license to who can and can't preach is very dangerous for democracy. If a cleric emerges tomorrow and becomes anti-Government on pure democratic and political grounds. They can simply withdraw his licence and you can see that a once upon a time well intentioned law will now be used for censorship by an oppressive Government.

Like I said they should opt out of Sharia Criminal Code if they mean business.
They can also pass legislation to make illegal any form of insighting violence in the name of religion but let it be up to the courts to determine what amounts to insighting violence.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by princekevo(m): 7:11pm On Apr 13, 2010

Exactly my thought also.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by auwal87(m): 7:58pm On Apr 13, 2010
The Preaching License is practiced in Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, in fact all the GCC countries, and some North African Countries. It is a very good move. I bet it will bring a lot of change to the extremism saga.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by 006(m): 2:14am On Apr 14, 2010
mikeansy:

We will know they mean business when they opt out of Sharia criminal code.

That will be a good start.

This business of giving license to who can and can't preach is very dangerous for democracy. If a cleric emerges tomorrow and becomes anti-Government on pure democratic and political grounds. They can simply withdraw his licence and you can see that a once upon a time well intentioned law will now be used for censorship by an oppressive Government.

They can also pass legislation to make illegal any form of insighting violence in the name of religion but let it be up to the courts to determine what amounts to insighting violence.

Well, nothing good comes out of Islam; it's only violence and struggles to topple legitimate governments.
I feel the law is good, if well implemented, would curb the excessive hatred they preach.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 14, 2010
Remove violence from Islam, you would have removed her only strenght.

I won't be suprised if a "fatuwa" or whatever it is called is declared on all those participating in that debate.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by hollandis(f): 11:55am On Apr 14, 2010
ISLAMIC SCHOOLS SHOULD BE ABOLISHED
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by gReenmAn(m): 2:12pm On Apr 14, 2010
Didn't know extremism could be divorced from Sharia[i]ism[/i].
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by bawomolo(m): 3:30pm On Apr 14, 2010
hollandis:

ISLAMIC SCHOOLS SHOULD BE ABOLISHED

i don't think they should be abolished, just regulated.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by splashbaby(m): 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2010
bawomolo:

i don't think they should be abolished, just regulated.
Another Christian Fanatics!
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by bawomolo(m): 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2010
splashbaby:

Another Christian Fanatics!

oh yes, i'm definitely a christian fanatic.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by haronky7: 9:56pm On Apr 14, 2010
Religion has always been a sensitive issue in this country, and I dont want to be dragged into its wrangglings

As at the last time I checked, Nigeria is a secular state; right?

So, my question is will the new proposed board be paid from the State's purse, i.e from Federal allocation to the state?

If yes, then how is it right to use the money of a secular Nigerian state to fund religious setup? No offence to our Muslim brothers and sisters. How will it look like if a state declres itself to be Orisa, Bhuddist, etc, and channelling the centrally generated funds to support its regious order. It's llikely going to create a dissenting voice among faithfuls of other religion

The only right approach is if Nigeria practises true Federalism, and all the states strive to generate its own funds without going cap in hand to Abuja for their allocation which comes regardless of their input to the nation. If the aforementioned is fulfilled, then no one will raise an eyebrow, even if the whole North declares Sharia law (or the whole West for instance declares Orisa etc), which they are funding independently of the secular Nigerian state

In a secular state, this will continue to be hunting ghost
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by zubeyr(m): 3:52am On Apr 15, 2010
Bunch of ignorants the problem of Nigeria is more rooted in extremism from both sides asking muslims to opt out sharia is like asking xtians to opt out believing that jesus is the saviour and has died for the sins of the word haleluyah
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by Nobody: 4:09am On Apr 15, 2010
zubeyr:

Bunch of ignorants the problem of Nigeria is more rooted in extremism from both sides asking muslims to opt out sharia is like asking xtians to opt out believing that jesus is the saviour and has died for the sins of the word haleluyah

Fool nobody is asking you to opt out of Islam

State practice of Sharia is what they need to opt out of. Religion should be personal.

In the south their are no Jesuit laws running side by side with secular laws.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by haronky7: 8:53am On Apr 15, 2010
@Zubeyr

Coming to this forum and calling people a bunch of ignorants and yet putting forward a less than convincing statement, only displaying religious bigotry, is very unimpressive.

This is a forum for intellectual debate, not for some intolerant sharp-tongued religious fanatic cool

And pls always get your facts right before posting any response
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by princekevo(m): 9:09am On Apr 15, 2010
zubeyr:

Normal reasoning of an average muslim extrimist. They are talking abt the radicalism in sharia laws he talking abt believing that jesus is the saviour. How many time have u seen a christian killing people jst becoz the failed to believe that jesus is the saviour, or how many churches have you seen cutting off someone's arm jst becoz he committed adulty.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by redsun(m): 9:14am On Apr 15, 2010
Sharia is for the dead minds,minds that can't reason,they should only be applicable to the unreasonable nigerian politicians only,strictly for them,not for normal human beings.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by princekevo(m): 9:24am On Apr 15, 2010
redsun:

Sharia is for the dead minds,minds that can't reason,they should only be applicable to the unreasonable nigerian politicians only,strictly for them,not for normal human beings.
Lol !! The law is as unreasonable as the followers. The rich ones and  politician can convert 100s of their mistresses into wives with their wealth , while the poor one's are being stoned to death with their mistress.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by redsun(m): 9:26am On Apr 15, 2010
Fundamental islamism is for the dark age,it has no place in an evolving world,infact all organize religions are things of the past.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by member479760: 11:01am On Apr 15, 2010
good talk
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by medolala: 4:13pm On Apr 15, 2010
i really think when it comes to religion we should judge from a human beings point of view & not let our individual beliefs cloud our minds. be u an Orisa person or an aethist, a muslim, hindu or a christian, borrow a leaf from mahatma gandhi and see all as one - but each, a bit hard wired to a belief.

let patience and understanding prevail over us all.
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by Linusman(m): 8:49am On Apr 16, 2010
Why are neutral topics easily turned to instruments for criticizing Islam? With all these comments, how do we want Muslims to feel or is this site for Christians only?
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
@Linusman

Hopefully, the rational individuals (who chose to transcend tribe, creed, etc.) like you on this forum would continue to assay to bring objectivity & fairness on board.
Hence, criticisms will not only be relevant, specific & commensurate. and while at it, be honest, truthful and fair i.e
Criticism only & only when due.
Verification of allegation before spewing hate-filled rhetoric.
Avoidance of ill-conceived generalization.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T to you Linusman
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 4:52pm On Apr 18, 2010
Linusman:

Why are neutral topics easily turned to instruments for criticizing Islam? With all these comments, how do we want Muslims to feel or is this site for Christians only?
that how it it is here.when you visit the muslim thread too.dont be suprise about their reaction as their is intertribal war between igbo and we yoruba so also is it btw christian and muslim
Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 18, 2010
AYODEJI4LOVE:

that how it it is here.when you visit the muslim thread too.dont be suprise about their reaction as their is intertribal war between igbo and we yoruba so also is it btw christian and muslim

If the hatred between HausaiFulanis and Biroms could be relegated to internet bashing, we would have made progress security wise.

At the least the Igbos and Yorubas are not killing each other on the streets.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' by tunde121oke: 8:48am On Apr 20, 2010
please dont stop

(1) (Reply)

NAME THEM - Nigerian Traffic Wardens In London Causing Havoc (UK LASTMA) / Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? / Katsina's/germany 60 Megawatts Power Projects Using Solar & Wind!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.