Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,699 members, 7,924,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 07:19 AM

Run!!! (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Run!!! (a Short Story) (504 Views)

Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Run!!! (a Short Story) by blazes01: 10:21pm On Jan 20, 2018
Hey guys. I wrote this a long time ago so I thought to share it. It's my first post here actually. Hope you like it.

Hello. Whatever you read here is entirely true. Sorry, that last statement is not entirely true. But I promise that the true part of the story is true. You're confused? Good. That makes the both of us.
This here is a mixture of reality and fiction. So I'll call it friction. Get it? F-R-iction. 'F' for fiction and the 'R' for reality. You still don't get it? Urggh. Slow. Fiction starts with the letter….. Okay okay! Fine you get it! So as I said earlier, this is going to be a friction series and you're left to decide for yourself what is true and what isn't.
PS: Don't even think of thinking of trying to ask me what part is real and what part isn't. You'd just get more confused. So here goes.
I was watching a football match somewhere near Awo common room with many other guys. Chelsea was playing against Manchester United. Who would miss a match like that. I even stabbed church to watch it. Although, I like to think that I had a very busy week and had to use the match to relax a little bit. Relax, however, is my own fancy way of saying I stood up from the first minute of the match to the last. Okay that was a lie. I actually stood up for most of the match and ran for the rest. Yes, I ran. Literally. There were too many people at the place by the time I got there and i didn't bring something to sit on so i had to stand. Getting a good spot to stand was also not very easy. Before I tell you the reason though, I will have you know that I'm about to tell you something I hold very personal so don't laugh. I could be considered by some idiots to be uhm… vertically challenged. If you don't know what it means then you're on your own. So I had to make sure I wasn't standing behind or sandwiched between the"vertically blessed". Wait a minute. I don't know why I'm feeling guilty about not going to church because of a football match. Bah! Forget it.
Back to the story. I was watching the match peacefully, that's if you ignore the war and protest my toes were putting up as I was standing on them. No matter how hard I tried the vertically blessed always seemed to have made a sacred covenant to ruin the match for me. Unfortunately for me, they did a wonderful job. Seeing the screen was a struggle but I had the determination of an ant climbing a hill. I had already made it through most of the match then it happened. The guy behind me ran. The guy beside me ran. The guy in front of me ran. I looked at the direction from which they were running to see what was wrong. Instead I found others doing the thing any sane would do when they see everyone else doing it - run! Especially when you don't know what's chasing you. See, you know how best to run when you know what's chasing you. Not knowing what you're running from is another complicated issue entirely. Only a mad man can understand this mystery. And so my race began.
The Bible verse that says thousands shall fall by your left and ten thousands by your right never meant much to me until that moment. Let me pause here to thank God for never going back on his promise. As I ran, people fell around me. And guess those that fell, the vertically blessed!!! Glory to God!!!I didn't have time to gloat over my enemies though. I concentrated all of my effort on running as fast I could without falling or I'd share the same fate with my vertically blessed enemies. As I ran, I wondered what was chasing us but I couldn't spare the precious little time and the mighty courage to look back. From our starting point to block 1, I ran the race. I was still running on the corridor of block 1 when the devil reached for me. My slippers did what its name suggests. It simply slipped off of my foot. The ground decided to borrow this unfortunate characteristic of my slippers by being wet and slippery too. The guys coming behind me were still running so who was I to stop? I continued running. I got to Awo annex area before I slowed to a jog.
"Baba wetin dey happen?", a guy running ahead of me asked.
"Me sef no know o. But I no dey stop check", I replied between heavy pants.

(1) (Reply)

Behind The Door / Cry Healing / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.