Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,463 members, 7,888,442 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:50 AM

Significance Of The Number 40 In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Significance Of The Number 40 In The Bible (423 Views)

What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? / The Number Of Private Jets Bishop Oyedepo Actually Owns - Leke Beecroft / What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Significance Of The Number 40 In The Bible by Eberex(m): 4:23pm On Mar 28, 2018
The Bible contains some numbers that are very significant and spiritual. They are not just for formality sake or chosen by guesswork. One of such numbers is the 40days/night.

When the church tells us to fast for 40days, it is not a joking matter. Successful completion of the fast would open doors for you, there are no two ways about it. It is God's word, and we know His words are spirit and life.

Without much ado, let us look into the Bible and see what that number tells us.

Let us begin with Genesis 6:5-8

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

Genesis 7:4, 12, 17
4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.” 12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.17 For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth.

Exodus 24:15-18
15 When Moses went up on the mountain, the cloud covered it, 16 and the glory of the Lord settled on Mount Sinai. For six days the cloud covered the mountain, and on the seventh day, the Lord called to Moses from within the cloud. 17 To the Israelites, the glory of the Lord looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain. 18 Then Moses entered the cloud as he went on up the mountain. And he stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights.

Deuteronomy 9:25-26
25 I lay prostrate before the Lord those forty days and forty nights because the Lord had said he would destroy you. 26 I prayed to the Lord and said, “Sovereign Lord, do not destroy your people, your own inheritance that you redeemed by your great power and brought out of Egypt with a mighty hand.

1 Samuel 17:16
For forty days the Philistine came forward every morning and evening and took his stand.

1 Kings 19:7-8
7 The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” 8 So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights [/b]until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God

Jonah 3:3-5
Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “[b]Forty more days
and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God.

Mathew 5:17
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them

Mathew 4:1-2
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry

Mark 1:12-13
At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, 13 and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted[g] by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.

Luke 4:4
Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where[b] for forty days[/b] he was tempted[a] by the devil

(1) (Reply)

Is It Proper To Club On Saturday And Attend Church On Sunday? / Let's Pray For Our Priests And Other Christians In All Those Areas / I See Violence And Riot Across South Africa Until 2019 Election”- Pro Samuel Ak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.