Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,936 members, 7,873,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:41 AM

N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? (48403 Views)

Akwa Ibom International Worship Centre, Uyo Building: A White Elephant Project? / How 7 States Blew Billions On White Elephant Projects / N19b, $86m Refund Probe Sparks Anti-magu Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by three: 8:56am On Apr 05, 2018
rottennaija:

Not surprised. AtikuNetwork. I believe that's what will continue to happen if Atiku succeeds

In Fact!

AtikuNetwork, I can't think of a better way to demarket one's principal. He is enmeshed in accusations of fraud particularly in the 1999-2007 privatisation process and the best thing you can do for him is make such a statement?

Are you trolling Atiku?

2 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 9:03am On Apr 05, 2018
AyamStarch:
The title of this thread is misleading
Whitter Elephant project he asked for public opinion about. Interesting though. But our leaders need to be transparent.

Check our signature in blue below and call or click to chat us on your interest.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by SoNature(m): 9:03am On Apr 05, 2018
JixNation:
I will rather have a governor who is working on his state than this midget we have here.

His reasoning IQ is not up to 2KB.

If you are referring to el-Rufai, oga, I don't believe you.

You see, I've seen him do this and answer tough questions.

Malam Nasir el-Rufai and Shehu Sani are the most intelligent politicians from northern Nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by LorDBolton(m): 9:03am On Apr 05, 2018
yanabasee:
Nigerians don't like to pay money to see a match at the stadium...... But football can generate much incomes and revenue for a state if properly managed.....

The TP hub will also on its own generate revenues owing to the population in Lagos.....

We can't compare these two.... What we should be looking out for is, if its maintenance cost will align with its income rate!!

Azzin bros I've said it before..football is an untapped goldmine in this country.

We have the capacity to turn Nigeria league into a premier soccer championship widely followed in all of western and central Africa.

Even the value chain in football is amazing.

Besides infrastructure, we lack leadership.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:03am On Apr 05, 2018
I can't term both project "white elephant project" because, I am not the civil engineer or the architect that designed it. As long as the project serves its purpose to the citizens of their resepctive states and there are proper maintenance for this projects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by three: 9:05am On Apr 05, 2018
slimthugchimee2:

Weren't you the same guy complaining that Ikeja terminal wasn't world class, now they brought you world class again you still say is a white elephant project undecided guy what is it that you want?

Appropriateness, Cost Benefit and Opportunity Cost

Add Transparency to that. (Do some research on public administration and public procurement - public is mentioned before these two words because the elected official or appointee is holding 'public trust')

If a man who has five children and earns 500k a month decides to send one child to American International School and the other four to Jakande school would that make sense?

Q1. Which Buses and what passengers are going to use the Ikeja Bus Terminal?
Q2. What is a Bus Terminal?
Q3. Is the Bus Terminal along an established transportation route?
Q4. Have you seen any World Class Bus Terminal where you first walk past the buses you are going to embark THEN enter the Ticketing Hall before exiting again to go back to where you started from?
Q5. How much did the Bus Terminal Cost?
Q6. Was the Lagos State Public Procurement Law followed?

Q1. Have you seen any Transport Interchange with Offices and shops built ab initio ABOVE it?
Q2. Who will rent the Offices and Shops and at What Cost?
Q3. If I can build 23 Bus Interchanges with the amount I'm using to build just one shouldn't I in the interest of the Public reconsider and evaluate Cost Benefit?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Biodun556(m): 9:09am On Apr 05, 2018
Non is white elephant project. We must learn how to appreciate our politicians when they do the right things. The Oshodi bus terminal actually worth a stadium considering the quality of materials and the size.

2 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Bluffly: 9:11am On Apr 05, 2018
yanabasee:
Nigerians don't like to pay money to see a match at the stadium...... But football can generate much incomes and revenue for a state if properly managed.....

The TP hub will also on its own generate revenues owing to the population in Lagos.....

We can't compare these two.... What we should be looking out for is, if its maintenance cost will align with its income rate!!
If the basic infrastructure and economic needs of Nigerians are met, I'm sure they will. Never the less the foreign leagues as set a standard in the minds of Nigerians. So our league needs to measure even if not in total.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Biodun556(m): 9:15am On Apr 05, 2018
GavelSlam:

The attempt to educate you was a white elephant project.

Na wa for Nigerian youths. We don't know what we want, we just criticize blindly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 05, 2018
GavelSlam:

The attempt to educate you was a white elephant project.
Hey! Hey!! Hey!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by osazeeblue01: 9:17am On Apr 05, 2018
No one should be praised because is our money.

I always get angry when i see people praising the people we elected to the needful....
Must we praise them?
Is it there money they used in building or constructing any useful thing?
They where voted for because they said yes they can manage the resources.

Nobody should ever praise the President,Governor,senator and others.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Realdeals(m): 9:20am On Apr 05, 2018
Okoyeebos:

It's either you're typing from one backward village with no prospects or you are suffering from factory fitted ignorance.

There's an ongoing rail project in Lagos and rail stations are being built.
You don't understand what he meant, the BRT lane from Oshodi to Abule Egba, which is under construction is what he said could have been a light rail, instead of filling it with glorify molue's in the name of BRT.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by samsobo24(m): 9:24am On Apr 05, 2018
thundafire:
Oshodi bus terminal is a white project my reasons, dey are suppose 2 build a rail not bus which country dats developing builds bus stations in 21st century and mny have been embezzled
perhaps you haven't read about ambodes public transport reform and the Lagos rail project masterplan
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by MrEdimulo82(m): 9:26am On Apr 05, 2018
nedu2000:
So they intend cutting out of the 3lane one-way lane to a 2 lane to accommodate BRT? Do they realise how busy this road is?what if a trailer or a car spoils. We don't have strategists in govt.it is just to do contracts and collect kick-backs

..and when they expands the road, you will still come to say buildings are being demolished with no'strategy' . Mr. Strategy. Lagos metropolis is built up.

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Sagay212: 9:29am On Apr 05, 2018
The oshodi terminal and other nonsense terminals in lagos are private properties for the evil politicians. They are splitting the roads for their BET buses to make more money. At the end of the day, they will bring in more BRT buses, ban the lag red buses from the BRT Lane, ban danfo and bring in their own buses, monopolize everything and make billions of the gullible lagosians. Why is your governor building imaginary world class terminals and not building world class schools, hospitals and roads? That's because they are in strictly for their personal business. Schools?hospitals and good roads wont give them the money they need to buy houses in Dubai and live lavish.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Biodun556(m): 9:31am On Apr 05, 2018
Lucid1:
??

It's sickening to always see these comments on Nairaland about project figures being overly high and sorts.
My question is: how many of you have carried out proper evaluation of the cost of these projects and how they arrived at the figures quoted? None?

It's becoming too cliché seeing these comments on posts that showcase public projects; It's like 100% expecting rain after lightning and thunder.

If we no see projects we go complain, If we see project, we go complain of phantom looting; I tire!

We need to develop our minds above this sort of pettiness, shouting that money has been looted without proof or evidence of it's existence.

Why are we surprise that some people join boko haram? Some foolish comment here tell us that many Nigerian youth don't reason well.

Have they compare the price of dollar the time Uyo stadium stadium was built? How many such project have they carried out to assumed that the cost is outrageous? Isnt it better for politicians to embezzle through massive infractructral development than stealing raw cash without something to show for it?

2 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by AtikuNetwork: 9:31am On Apr 05, 2018
three:

In Fact!

AtikuNetwork, I can't think of a better way to demarket one's principal. He is enmeshed in accusations of fraud particularly in the 1999-2007 privatisation process and the best thing you can do for him is make such a statement?

Are you trolling Atiku?

You can go to hell bro. I speak for all progress loving Nigerians not enemies of progress like you who are only good at complaining and criticizing. People like you will always play politics with our development by always using language like 'white elephant' and 'overblotted cost' as an excuse for us not to develop. You lack any iota of objectivity because your motivation is political. I am first and foremost for the progress of Nigeria before party affiliation. I swear my support for Alhaji Atiku is voluntary and I have not received a single kobo for my efforts so I don't give a damn about your nonsense emotional blackmail attempt. Project costs are inflated everywhere in the world, yet those countries are still doing big projects, modernizing and developing. People like you will be the first to go abroad and clap for their modernity and technological advancement in infrastructure, yet you never find reason to be encouraged when Nigeria tries in whichever little way to progress developmentally. No matter the cost of the project some will still say it is inflated. You will always have a reason to complain. Allah be praised that your type are not in power because you are a backward thinker and anti-progress.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 9:36am On Apr 05, 2018
Lomprico2:
Do u even know what a 'white elephant project' is at all op??

You have asked a fundamental question Bros. I believe that we as citizenry needs to get off our ignorance-ladden high horses and begin to put to use our education (which in some cases looks like monumental waste). Except the OP is just trying to draw traffic or finger itching, his definition of "White Elephant" is clearly unclear or much more misplaced.

My 2cents
1. Both projects ideally are good infrastructure for the location they are.
2. We are so bothered needlessly chasing "how much did it cost". Reality check is such posture in most cases is like beckoning to a vehicle that has long passed us by. Why are we not bothered on the value returns? I guess that takes some level of rocket science to some people......
3. Have someone calculated the volume of people that the Oshodi terminal will deal with on a daily basis? How much on the average each will spend and how much accrues back to the state govt.Have someone bothered to consider that the Terminal also has as part of it a mega-mall, how accessible it will be to take a bus or train to Oshodi to do a major shopping? Has someone considered how this affects the value of properties and business in the Oshodi Axis? I went to assess a property in Oshodi last year, this is a property I will have to pull down the structure already on it before building mine. The asking price was N90m. I argued that why that exorbitant cost considering that the current building on the property is useless to me. The rep of the family simply pointed me to the Terminal (then at foundation level) and told me that by this year, the price would have gone over N120m.
4. It is also false that nobody is building terminals like this in 21st century. These can only be statements from people who has hardly left their villages. What I see cities do is to strategically (co)locate Terminals like these in central business communities with access to rail-lines, markets/malls etc. London underground and Jo'borgs Gauteng have been operating this model for a long time.

2 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Horlufemi(m): 9:36am On Apr 05, 2018
AtikuNetwork:
Akpabio did well by building that stadium in Uyo and the Lagos government is also doing well for building the Oshodi terminal. These are infrastructures that we see and admire when we go to other foreign countries like South Africa, Europe, America, etc but when we try to replicate it here some people must complain. We should learn to give credit to our governors that are trying to modernize our infrastructures and stop this enemy-of-progress behavior that complains whenever infrastructures are upgraded please.

I shit on Atiku
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 9:39am On Apr 05, 2018
JohnieWalker:
Both are white elephant project but football can generate more if only our govt know how to run it

Check my signature to Get your Lifetime Premium Grammarly Account for just a token, please I need serious buyers not 'I wee get back to you' crew

The contradiction in this statement of yours tells me you either were in too much hurry to sell "Lifetime Premium Grammarly Account" that you did yourself talking from both sides of the mouth.

3 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 9:43am On Apr 05, 2018
Adekdammy:
If the amount is just for the hub minus the road that leads to the airport, then Ambode is fantastically corrupt but whichever way, take both the stadium and the hub to another country and you will be amazed that they might not even spend up to half of the total amount.

Bros,

I have come to the conclusion that there is no way we can assert what an ideal value of govt contract is. Even if you add the road "all-join" Nigerians will still complain. I believe we should focus on advocating that projects once started should be completed within reasonble time so that we can start to derive value from it.

5 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by errhis(m): 9:46am On Apr 05, 2018
We complain when the government dont work... When they do, we compare... We are our own doom
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 9:47am On Apr 05, 2018
AtikuNetwork:
Akpabio did well by building that stadium in Uyo and the Lagos government is also doing well for building the Oshodi terminal. These are infrastructures that we see and admire when we go to other foreign countries like South Africa, Europe, America, etc but when we try to replicate it here some people must complain. [/b]We should learn to give credit to our governors that are trying to modernize our infrastructures and stop this [b]enemy-of-progress behavior that complains whenever infrastructures are upgraded please.

This is my position too. What many people fail to get is that these are the necessary infrastructures that enhance a better quality of living for everyone. Let's take South Africa for example, how do you think they were considered, talkless of winning the bid to host a world cup? How do you think Morroco is a prime force in the bid for 2026 world cup? What do you think is happening to countries/Cities after they win bids to host the world either in sports, tourism or commerce?

We need to get our mentality off "projects" as we call it and see the big picture

3 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by TheAlchemist: 9:53am On Apr 05, 2018
three:

Appropriateness, Cost Benefit and Opportunity Cost

Add Transparency to that. (Do some research on public administration and public procurement - public is mentioned before these two words because the elected official or appointee is holding 'public trust')

If a man who has five children and earns 500k a month decides to send one child to American International School and the other four to Jakande school would that make sense?

Q1. Which Buses and what passengers are going to use the Ikeja Bus Terminal?
Q2. What is a Bus Terminal?
Q3. Is the Bus Terminal along an established transportation route?
Q4. Have you seen any World Class Bus Terminal where you first walk past the buses you are going to embark THEN enter the Ticketing Hall before exiting again to go back to where you started from?
Q5. How much did the Bus Terminal Cost?
Q6. Was the Lagos State Public Procurement Law followed?

Q1. Have you seen any Transport Interchange with Offices and shops built ab initio ABOVE it?
Q2. Who will rent the Offices and Shops and at What Cost?
Q3. If I can build 23 Bus Interchanges with the amount I'm using to build just one shouldn't I in the interest of the Public reconsider and evaluate Cost Benefit?

From your write up, i guess your company was unable to win the bid to build the bus terminal? just kidding but very good analysis.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 10:01am On Apr 05, 2018
three:

Intolerance to others' views or perceived ignorance is not a sign of intelligence.

It might be a sign of superiority BUT no one knows everything (FACT), HOW will you know that you do not know and who will then educate you on that which you do not know if you hold superiority over others?

Bros,

Permit me to 'humbly" react to these your posers like these;

1. I believe the basic tenets (assumed) in public space discourse is for us to engage with candor and a sense of responsibility to how we present what should be knowledge. If the guy had come on the premise of asking to be educated in this regard, it would have been different. Why would you make emphatic statements and gaffes on something you do not know zilch about?

2. This is absolutely not intolerance to others' views. It is simply a call to a certain basic level of "discipline" in discourse or debates. The discipline is that you do not put out as facts statements that are false and expect not to be challenged; neither can you recourse to asking to be educated when you have made false assertion........."to thine own-self be true..............", what you don't know simply own up that you don't

3. No one knows everything...absolutely TRUE. no one is supposed to. We all contribute to knowledge so that we can as a collective know more. Following from this, you will then understand the danger of someone adding falsehood to knowledge.....

4. How will you know that you don't know? Simple. ACKNOWLEDGE IT when you don't know. Don't give a posture that you do when you don't

Cheers

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by TheAlchemist: 10:02am On Apr 05, 2018
mapet:

Bros,

I have come to the conclusion that there is no way we can assert what an ideal value of govt contract is. Even if you add the road "all-join" Nigerians will still complain. I believe we should focus on advocating that projects once started should be completed within reasonble time so that we can start to derive value from it.

A transparent public bid evaluation process would actually give you the true cost of a project, so was such a process followed and where are the list of the world class firms that took part in the bid round and there previous project track records.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by 0monnak0da: 10:06am On Apr 05, 2018
slimthugchimee2:

Weren't you the same guy complaining that Ikeja terminal wasn't world class, now they brought you world class again you still say is a white elephant project undecided guy what is it that you want?

Don't mind it

it is just another bitter Yibbo girl

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Modarun(m): 10:11am On Apr 05, 2018
There are absolutely no reason for comparisms here. The Uyo stadium is done, dusted and delivered already, they should wait until Ambode completes the Oshodi projects first before they make noise.
Besides the Uyo stadium is not just only a sports complex, but an ultea modern recreational facility, that came equioed with Cinema, Club, Bars and Eateries. so whats there to compare?
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by 0monnak0da: 10:12am On Apr 05, 2018
Na who belleful dey host world cup or World Bottle.

So number priority should be food and the means (Jobs) to pay our bills.
Qatar belleful now and say them want host World Cup and are building everything from scratch. They won the right NOT based on existing infrastructure but a fat bank balance . They are still building as we speak

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Lomprico2: 10:12am On Apr 05, 2018
[quote author=three post=66445240][/quote]

Good! Now from this definition is d stadium and terminal without use or value?

D last time I checked all international football matches by super eagles are played in Uyo's stadium.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by three: 10:18am On Apr 05, 2018
mapet:

Bros,

Permit me to 'humbly" react to these your posers like these;

1. I believe the basic tenets (assumed) in public space discourse is for us to engage with candor and a sense of responsibility to how we present what should be knowledge. If the guy had come on the premise of asking to be educated in this regard, it would have been different. Why would you make emphatic statements and gaffes on something you do not know zilch about?

2. This is absolutely not intolerance to others' views. It is simply a call to a certain basic level of "discipline" in discourse or debates. The discipline is that you do not put out as facts statements that are false and expect not to be challenged; neither can you recourse to asking to be educated when you have made false assertion........."to thine own-self be true..............", what you don't know simply own up that you don't

3. No one knows everything...absolutely TRUE. no one is supposed to. We all contribute to knowledge so that we can as a collective know more. Following from this, you will then understand the danger of someone adding falsehood to knowledge.....

4. How will you know that you don't know? Simple. ACKNOWLEDGE IT when you don't know. Don't give a posture that you do when you don't

Cheers

This was the original post that elicited the response

thundafire:
Oshodi bus terminal is a white project my reasons, dey are suppose 2 build a rail not bus which country dats developing builds bus stations in 21st century and mny have been embezzled

He clearly stated that it was his reasons and not an empirical statement. He also stated 'mny have been embezzled' (sic) again no empirical statement there and clear indication of personal opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 10:25am On Apr 05, 2018
TheAlchemist:

A transparency public bid evaluation process would actually give you the true cost of a project, so was such a process followed and where are the list of the world class firms that took part in the bid round and there previous project track records.

This project is a PPP. How the rules play in competitive bidding is different. Since these guys are going to source for the funding and less from govt, then the valuation may not be so much the subject of scrutiny as the ability to source for the funding. Might I also add that these are one of the creative ways these our smart Lagos leaders of the Tinubu stock have been killing many birds with one stone and stay legit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Governors Give Jonathan New Conditions / Twitter Ban: Malami Orders Prosecution Of Offenders / My Fears For Buhari’s Change Agenda - Olusegun Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.