Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,386 members, 7,881,392 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:26 PM

N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? (48433 Views)

Akwa Ibom International Worship Centre, Uyo Building: A White Elephant Project? / How 7 States Blew Billions On White Elephant Projects / N19b, $86m Refund Probe Sparks Anti-magu Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by nedu2000(m): 10:37am On Apr 05, 2018
MrEdimulo82:

..and when they expands the road, you will still come to say buildings are being demolished with no'strategy' . Mr. Strategy. Lagos metropolis is built up.
in india,to make way for the speed trains,they just built columns(pillars).The trains go over the road.

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by three: 10:40am On Apr 05, 2018
mapet:

This project is a PPP. How the rules play in competitive bidding is different. Since these guys are going to source for the funding and less from govt, then the valuation may not be so much the subject of scrutiny as the ability to source for the funding. Might I also add that these are one of the creative ways these our smart Lagos leaders of the Tinubu stock have been killing many birds with one stone and stay legit.

Mapet na wah for you oh! smiley

So you sabi d koko of d matter come dey form? grin

You are spot on as per PPP being abused in these parts and used as SPVs to circumvent established procurement laws in order to create opacity, non-competitiveness as well as siphon funds.

However, even the normal rules for PPP should yield a good return for everyone. Contractors have to make profit. The people need infrastructure (as established via a needs assessment) and the nation needs development. This must be within just parameters.

PPPs done right are not evil or opaque.

3 Likes

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 10:45am On Apr 05, 2018
0monnak0da:

Na who belleful dey host world cup or World Bottle.

So number priority should be food and the means (Jobs) to pay our bills.
Qatar belleful now and say them want host World Cup and are building everything from scratch. They won the right NOT based on existing infrastructure but a fat bank balance . They are still building as we speak

I believe you're referring to my post shey? With due respect your submission (underlined) above, such orientation is the exact reason why our growth has been slow. We always think about what we will consume today with no thought on building what will sustain us tomorrow

Secondly, see as you ignorantly "scored an own-goal" in the bolded part. Qatar is not building everything from scratch......and nobody wins hosting right based on "fat bank account"; or better still, lemme guess, following the tot process from your submission, cities like Rio de Janeiro(Brazil), USA-Mexico-Canada (joint bidders for 2026), Others in the past (Germany, South Africa, South Korea) had nothing but....what did you call it again.... grin grin grin grin grin...."fat bank balance "?

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 10:47am On Apr 05, 2018
JohnieWalker:

Even though both are white elephant project, Football offers more. This doesn't justify the fact that spending such amount of money on a stadium doesn't make it a non white elephant project...Just like say Benz and Audi gulps fuel but Audi is more preferrable.

Please can you engage me a little more and expatitate why you take the position that both are "White Elephant" and what should have been built instead?
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by 0monnak0da: 10:51am On Apr 05, 2018
mapet:

I believe you're referring to my post shey? With due respect your submission (underlined) above, such orientation is the exact reason why our growth has been slow. We always think about what we will consume today with no thought on building what will sustain us tomorrow

Secondly, see as you ignorantly "scored an own-goal" in the bolded part. Qatar is not building everything from scratch......and nobody wins hosting right based on "fat bank account"; or better still, lemme guess, following the tot process from your submission, cities like Rio de Janeiro(Brazil), USA-Mexico-Canada (joint bidders for 2026), Others in the past (Germany, South Africa, South Korea) had nothing but....what did you call it again.... grin grin grin grin grin...."fat bank balance "?

Why must I be referrng to you? Who are you?

Thnkng about what you eat today just ensures that you are alive tomorrow. It s the correct orientaton to want a job!! don't see what your problem wth that is

if you die today you can never grow tomorrow.

When you show me how a Stadium in Uyo is their priorty we can talk

Qatar s not a fotballng naton t has not got n place the nfrastructure and won based on a promse to BUILD

That promse is credble based on FAT BANK ACCOUNT

So Qatar is not comparable to Brazil whch has hosted the Cup and won t several times
IT IS BUILDING FROM SCRATCH

Our youths are desperate they need jobs

Accordng to you we should not be thinking of jobs otherwse we won't grow? See Logic
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 10:58am On Apr 05, 2018
three:

Mapet na wah for you oh! smiley

So you sabi d koko of d matter come dey form? grin

You are spot on as per PPP being abused in these parts and used as SPVs to circumvent established procurement laws in order to create opacity, non-competitiveness as well as siphon funds.

However, even the normal rules for PPP should yield a good return for everyone. Contractors have to make profit. The people need infrastructure (as established via a needs assessment) and the nation needs development. This must be within just parameters.

PPPs done right are not evil or opaque.

Don't get me wrong. I am somewhat in agreement with the underlined as the ultimate objective......but I will be pragmatic to say that the boys that introduced PPP to us have moved on at "Jet-Speed" while regulation is still doing "warm up"
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Quinic(m): 11:00am On Apr 05, 2018
loving this autojosh blogger...nice one. always creative
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 11:01am On Apr 05, 2018
0monnak0da:

Why must be referrng to you?

Thnkng about what you eat today just ensures that you are alive tomorrow.

f you die today you can never grow tomorrow.

When you show me how a Stadium in Uyo is their priorty we can talk

Qatar s not a fotballng naton t has not got n place the nfrastructure and won based on a promse to BUILD

That promse is credble based on FAT BANK ACCOUNT

So Qatar is not comparable to Brazil whch has hosted the Cup and won t several times
IT IS BUILDING FROM SCRATCH

Our youths are desperate they need jobs

Accordng to you we should not be thinking of jobs otherwse we won't grow? See Logic

Bros,

Both premises you posted in the underlined are factually incorrect. I give you the assignment to disprove this wink

@ bold,[this is me "jaw-dropped" shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked] It is needless debating this with you
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by 0monnak0da: 11:04am On Apr 05, 2018
mapet:

Bros,

Both premises you posted in the underlined are factually incorrect. I give you the assignment to disprove this
Go home and gve your family assignments. Na Jeje I dey go .

Wetn concern me wth you?

If you don't agree keep it n your belle i no ask you
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by olan4ward: 11:12am On Apr 05, 2018
AtikuNetwork:
Akpabio did well by building that stadium in Uyo and the Lagos government is also doing well for building the Oshodi terminal. These are infrastructures that we see and admire when we go to other foreign countries like South Africa, Europe, America, etc but when we try to replicate it here some people must complain. We should learn to give credit to our governors that are trying to modernize our infrastructures and stop this enemy-of-progress behavior that complains whenever infrastructures are upgraded please.
Go and make an enquiry and the cost comparison will throw you off your feet.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 11:14am On Apr 05, 2018
three:

This was the original post that elicited the response

He clearly stated that it was his reasons and not an empirical statement. He also stated 'mny have been embezzled' (sic) again no empirical statement there and clear indication of personal opinion.

Do you want to stretch this? His reasons automatically translate to personal opinions to "safe-land" your narrative? "His reasons" are not an indication of making assertive statements presumed to be facts?

Ok Lemme try this

The Pope is an impostor.....my reasons......A black man should have been elected and his ascension to the papacy..was through bribery
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 11:23am On Apr 05, 2018
CofOLandOfPeace:

AyamStarch: :
The title of this thread is misleading
Whitter Elephant project he asked for public opinion about. Interesting though. But our leaders need to be transparent.

Check our signature in blue below and call or click to chat us on your interest.

@ you both, I think it is important to bring to the fore the dictionary meaning of "White Elephant"

white elephant - a possession that is useless or troublesome, especially one that is expensive to maintain or difficult to dispose of.

from the above and many perspective people try to spin it, can both be termed White Elephant?
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by three: 11:32am On Apr 05, 2018
mapet:

Do you want to stretch this? His reasons automatically translate to personal opinions to "safe-land" your narrative? "His reasons" are not an indication of making assertive statements presumed to be facts?

Ok Lemme try this

The Pope is an impostor.....my reasons......A black man should have been elected and his ascension to the papacy..was through bribery

Nairaland is robust because it allows discourse.

Many come here to read comments - some for enlightenment, some for entertainment, some to educate others etc.

Anyone can make a supposition. It is left for them to prove that supposition or be ignored.

Your example above is interesting.

Some said there were black ancestors on the lineage of the house of Windsor, this sounded outlandish at first but references were made based on research. There is yet to be offered immutable proof but there exists some probability that a black royal existed.

The point is, hear people out, apply reason to the premise, if it falls short, draw the individuals attention to where it falls short, in turn offering verifiable references.

Let's all learn together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by mapet: 11:42am On Apr 05, 2018
See my reactions in blue

three:

Nairaland is robust because it allows discourse. - Somewhat true....to the extent that such "discourse" are credible. Do you also know NL is referred to as the "Dust Bin" of SM ?

Many come here to read comments - some for enlightenment, some for entertainment, some to educate others etc.

Anyone can make a supposition. It is left for them to prove that supposition or be ignored. - The danger in this, especially the underlined on some occasions, is that false/faulty statements could be taken as gospel.

Your example above is interesting.

Some said there were black ancestors on the lineage of the house of Windsor, this sounded outlandish at first but references were made based on research. There is yet to be offered immutable proof but there exists some probability that a black royal existed.- This is what makes it interesting

The point is, hear people out, apply reason to the premise, if it falls short, draw the individuals attention to where it falls short, in turn offering verifiable references. - I will continue to take this under advisement......but allow us some subs attimes........ grin grin grin grin

Let's all learn together.- absolutely with you on this.

Cheers
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by newoffer: 11:47am On Apr 05, 2018
scam everywhere
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by unitysheart(m): 11:56am On Apr 05, 2018
nedu2000:
stick to the point and detest name calling. The op posted a prototype,we all can't go and face the traffic at oshodi just to view your so called extensions(which are non-existent). The BRT,like is the case with ikorodu road will be curved out of an already existing road

Why comment on something you know next to nothing about? All in the name of "I must comment"
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by MrEdimulo82(m): 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2018
nedu2000:
in india,to make way for the speed trains,they just built columns(pillars).The trains go over the road.

With successive governance we will get there...knowing we can only improve our systems wt concurrent situation. We shall get there and surpass there
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Killurself: 12:26pm On Apr 05, 2018
Enemy of progress, they should allow Ambode do what is the best for the state. Materials are getting cost everyday, you don't need to compare things. If he chop the money we go still call him thief, let him do the complete the project before you talk. Eko o ni baaje.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by nedu2000(m): 12:56pm On Apr 05, 2018
MrEdimulo82:

With successive governance we will get there...knowing we can only improve our systems wt concurrent situation. We shall get there and surpass there
it is true sha,there was a time we didn't have roads and there was complete negligence. Amen to your latter statement.

1 Like

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by baslone: 1:00pm On Apr 05, 2018
nedu2000:
stick to the point and detest name calling. The op posted a prototype,we all can't go and face the traffic at oshodi just to view your so called extensions(which are non-existent). The BRT,like is the case with ikorodu road will be curved out of an already existing road

Creativity had to come to play on the Ikorodu road's case because it was done on an already existing road

In Oshodi, the road has been expanded, a lot of buildings had to be brought down to make this happen.

Only issue is the government has not made any serious attempt to compensate property owners yet.

I know this because I was affected as well.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by nedu2000(m): 1:11pm On Apr 05, 2018
baslone:

Creativity had to come to play on the Ikorodu road's case because it was done on an already existing road

In Oshodi, the road has been expanded, a lot of buildings had to be brought down to make this happen.

Only issue is the government has not made any serious attempt to compensate property owners yet.
if you look at the lagos/badagry exp way project one is tempted to think that this is the modus operandi,there is ample space(space for vegetation inbetween) yet there is just space for just 2 lanes.It should once again be wider. The govt is trying but maybe they should try and review their design.
P.S. i am a civil engineer.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by magzey: 1:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
Different Strokes grin

Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Barzinime(m): 1:38pm On Apr 05, 2018
And how do you know it doesnt happen elsewhere? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Olalan:
All projects in Nigeria are over inflated
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by richiepolymer(m): 3:55pm On Apr 05, 2018
Honestly speaking, much more money has be looted from Lagos than ever before. If we suddenly just have a stern administration, Those governors would rot in Jail.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by Olabestonic001(m): 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2018
battleaxe:

Uncle!! Really? I wouldn't want to enter a building of that magnitude if it did actually cost 35m.... some serious corners would have been cut somewhere.

Depending on what article you reference, the Burj is quoted as haven costed between 650m to 1 billion......dollars!

It's actually $1 Billion.
Many ignorance running here.
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by 0monnak0da: 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2018
Olabestonic001:

It's actually $1 Billion.
Many ignorance running here.

Ignorance?
No be hear you hear?
Did you sign the cheque?
Re: N23b Oshodi Transport Hub VS N19b Uyo Stadium - Which White Elephant Is Whiter? by triple996(m): 2:04am On Apr 06, 2018
Dem Don try

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bandits Abduct Students Of Islamiyya School, Katsina In Fresh Attack / We were offered Cash To Burn Kwankwaso Red Caps / Zinat Abebi Omotowo Is Dead! MC Oluomo's Mother Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.