Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,920 members, 7,872,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:39 AM

2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku (873 Views)

Atiku Condemns Attack On Jonathan: "Office Of The President Must Be Respected" / Ibb Is A Pillar Of Unity, Stability, Says Atiku / Igbo Deserve To Produce President In 2015, Says Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by migareigns(m): 11:52am On May 08, 2010
Apparently towing the line of his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, that the presidential ticket of the party has been zoned to the north till 2015, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar yesterday said the zoning arrangement between the North and South must be respected.

Unlike the former President Olusegun Obasanjo who denied knowledge of the zoning arrangement, Atiku said he was aware of the zoning.

Fielding questions from the British Broadcasting Corporation on the issue, Atiku said: “Well, yes, I am aware of that agreement. I was a party to it, it exists and I expect the party will implement that policy and if the party decides not to implement it, it will also have to meet and review it.”

http://gistboard.com/content/vice-president-may-emerge-tuesday
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by vigasimple(m): 12:26pm On May 08, 2010
I hope no one is taking any serious notice of the utterance of this political prostitute.

He left PDP to AC to enable him got Presidential candidate ticket, and when he did not succeed he ran back to see if he can succeed.

Where was his Priniciple? his ideology? beliefs?

So, he believes in Zoning? shege
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by redsun(m): 12:36pm On May 08, 2010
Atiku is a thief,what ever he says is for the birds.The opinion of a thief counts only in the underworld.

Nigerians should wake up and start stoning his like instead listening to them
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by migareigns(m): 1:12pm On May 08, 2010
vigasimple:

I hope no one is taking any serious notice of the utterance of this political love-peddler.

He left PDP to AC to enable him got Presidential candidate ticket, and when he did not succeed he ran back to see if he can succeed.

Where was his Priniciple? his ideology? beliefs?

So, he believes in Zoning? shege

I can't blame him for trying the zoning argument. It is the only way he thinks he has a shot at the presidency.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 08, 2010
Now that Jonathan has been sworn in as substantive President. Running as VP is now officially out of the question. Jonathan has to do something about Rotational Presidency.

The internal politics of PDP right now forms at least 80% of Nigerian politics. However there is no guarantee this will be the case 10years from now. While rotational Presidency looks attractive right now, it could also be a potential danger in future because there is no guarantee that by 2015 those who have already benefited from it in the SouthWest and North will simply not walk away from the deal by pitching their tents with new parties. This scenario will end up deepening the very mistrust rotational Presidency is trying to address.

So instead of setting ourselves up to be scammed latter. Let us either scrap this system or have it in the Electoral Act so that it becomes binding on all.

The status quo is very very dangerous. It is a recipe for dissaster. Some claim it is in the PDP constitution and must be binding, well since when did it appear in the PDP constitution? Abubakar Rimi ran in 1999, Barnabas Gemade ran in 2003, Rochas Okorocha ran in 2007. Their votes were counted and recognised by the PDP in their own primaries. They were not disqualified for being from the wrong zone.

Anybody trying to sustain the status quo on zoning as it is without either strengthening it or scraping it entirely is simply being dishonest.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 08, 2010
migareigns:

I can't blame him for trying the zoning argument. It is the only way he thinks he has a shot at the presidency.

Well Atiku is already shut out from the 2011 contest under PDP. The constitution of PDP does not allow returnee defectors to contest that quickly under the party.

He is waisting his time.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by nduchucks: 1:39pm On May 08, 2010
What a delight it would be, if Goodluck Jonathan threatened to leave the PDP if he were not allowed to be the party's flagbearer!

PDP is the root of all Nigeria's evil. GJ needs to perform beyond expectations in the next few months, and bring progressives in his administration such as Ribadu, El-Rufai, and other progressive southerners. The old fools such as Atiku and co need to retire and give younger generation and Nigeria a chance to excel.

If Jonathan performs, ALL Nigerians will support him in 2011, if he uses the Presidential bully pulpit to talk to the nation and explain why the PDP rotational agreement is unconstitutional and not in the best interest of Nigeria.  A Jonathan/Ribadu or Jonathan/El-Rufai ticket would be a winner.

If Jonathan can muster the courage to nominate Ribadu for VP, then I will personally kill some cows in celebration.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 08, 2010
Exactly!!!!

He needs to take the initiative and own the debate.

His patience, silence and soft demeanour may have worked perfectly in the Yar'adua saga. But this issue of rotational Presidency will need a little more than that. We need an open debate on rotational Presidency with him stating clearly his views.

I believe Rotational Presidency as currently designed is a recipe for dissaster.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by monkeyleg: 1:51pm On May 08, 2010
Nobody should pay any attention to that deadender. Lets not forget that it is the illiterate and thieving politicians who believe zoning is the way out, and as a country we now have a genuine opportunity to get things right.

c'mon, do we really need a system, that prevents the people from choosing able candidates just because they come from a certain region of the country? are we saying we cannot pick suitably qualified people from all parts of the country and we have to rely on some stupid pointless system , which I may add held Nigeria Captive for 6months. Is it not about time the Nigerian people as a whole start doing things the right way? Who the Hell if ATIKU to suggest to nigerians how we should pick our next leader?
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by monkeyleg: 1:58pm On May 08, 2010
@ Mike and Ndu,

You guys speak wisely and I totally agree with you. GJ now has an opportunity to set Nigeria on the right path. He must really motor on now, cos the work cut out for us Nigerians is unbelievable. He need to attract progressive minds, and like you both suggest pick either Nasir or Nuhu to work with him. Nigeria can not afford to remain where it is for too long, there is so much to be done, that when I sit and analyse the work load it scares me. And I really hope Nigerians would start to think about nation building.

Rotational Presidency is an absolute NO, and must be killed and buried.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by SapeleGuy: 4:14pm On May 08, 2010
Like it or not, Atiku is correct.

This is an internal PDP matter that is not binding on the rest of the country or other political parties.

Why did GJ not say zoning was bad in 2006 or 7?
Having now benefitted from the policy of rotation GJ can not now say he doesn't agree with it.

This matter between GJ, OBJ, IBB, Atiku and Ogbulafor will weaken the PDP.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 08, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Like it or not, Atiku is correct.

This is an internal PDP matter that is not binding on the rest of the country or other political parties.

Why did GJ not say zoning was bad in 2006 or 7?
Having now benefitted from the policy of rotation GJ can not now say he doesn't agree with it.

This matter between GJ, OBJ, IBB, Atiku and Ogbulafor will weaken the PDP.

But there is no evidence that it is binding on PDP

How do u explain Abubakar Rimi running in PDP primaries in 1999, How do u explain Barnabas Gemade running in 2003 PDP Primaries? How do you explain Rochas Okorocha running in 2007 PDP Primaries? Their votes were counted and recognised on the PDP.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by SapeleGuy: 4:30pm On May 08, 2010
mikeansy:

But there is no evidence that it is binding on PDP

How do u explain Abubakar Rimi running in PDP primaries in 1999, How do u explain Barnabas Gemade running in 2003 PDP Primaries? How do you explain Rochas Okorocha running in 2007 PDP Primaries? Their votes were counted and recognised on the PDP.

The explanation is very simple they were pacemakers that were used or tricked to lend the 'kill and divide' process some semblance of democracy. Oyibo say nah 'fait accompli'
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 08, 2010
SapeleGuy:

The explanation is very simple they were pacemakers that were used or tricked to lend the 'kill and divide' process some semblance of democracy. Oyibo say nah 'fait accompli'

What if they won? Rochas came second in the last PDP primaries.

Why can't Jonathan be one of Rimi, Gemade or Rochas and also have his own shut at winning the primaries?
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by master2(m): 4:36pm On May 08, 2010
Where is OBJ? Na dis time we need am to put this political ashawo where he belong.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by vigasimple(m): 5:17pm On May 08, 2010
I wished I had the time to write an article or a book on the issue of zoning (whether be it in the PDP or in Nigeria as whole)

However, it is suffice to say that Zoning is a SCAM by the North to maintain their grips on the Presidency of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to siphon the resources of the South for the benefits of the few Northern oligarcy and monarchy using the name of the region and religion.

Look guys, come 2015, PDP will change the goal post, and some will break away and form another party to stop the 'zoning'. They will refuse to respect or honour it. Yar A'dua saga has show us how devious the political cabal from the north can be.

Luckily the minority christian in the North are now seeing how the Fulani with Islamic 'born to rule' domination is performing, and David Mark can see the handwriting on the wall, and luckily, he is the number 3 man in the country and is aware of the consequencies, and rightfully reject the scam.

Nigeria problem is the Fulani Islamic supremacist, they beleive they are the best and can dominate us including our believes and religion.

Then the Yoruba's who fall for the SCAM because of the FEUD with the Igbo's, again the igbo's are not exempt because they can also sell their birthright for a plate of soup.Highest bidder syndrom or long throath. 

The Yoruba's and the Igbo's and maybe the South south (ijaws and co) have to find a way to work together for the development of their people otherwise the NORTH will continue their scam on the southern mugus.

Zoning or rotationl Presidency is equal to mediocrity, let the best man/woman do the job irrespective of region, religion etc.

Unfortunatelty the North are good at the political game playing than the south.

ZONING as it presently stand is a NORTHERN SCAM AFTER THE DEATH OF MKO ABIOLA TO PACIFY THE YORUBA'S FOR A WHILE. THE NORTH HAS NO INTENTION OF RELIQUINSHING THE PRESIDENCY.

How we are going to do it I am yet to figure it out, I think the principle of domination of a particular region or zone on the others is not good politics, maybe if each zone can produce their best candidates to be voted by Nigerians that may answer the question.

Also, I must add for the sake of completeness, either the Yoruba with ODUA or Hausa/ fulani with Arewa and most especially and  loudest the Igbo's with Biafra should tone it down and start talking about the unity of Nigeria geniunely, no marginalisation of any region/tribe etc.

Let us bring the the political domination of the class of 1966 to an end (per EL Rufai)and start making argument of the 2010 and beyond.

GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AND HER PEOPLE  including ME especially.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Dede1(m): 5:19pm On May 08, 2010
There are things done under the auspices of democracy that were not constitutional encoded. Certain arrangements are ironed out at political party levels. There was a North-South political dichotomy in terms of not only rotational presidency but office positions in the national assembly in PDP.

War usually starts with this type of petty political disingenuous being displayed by some forum contributors. It was the same rotational mechanism that gave rise to Jonathan Goodluck as VP. I am not surprise that some folks are already behaving like an overfed chicken etching for a fight with a hawk
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by D3rdeye: 5:21pm On May 08, 2010
We really cant be listening to a man like Atiku at this time, what was he thinking in the first instance? Only a country filled with jokers will give hime the priviledge of an audience
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Dede1(m): 5:34pm On May 08, 2010
Interesting enough, I have read the list of names for VP proffered by the same people who seemed to dislike the idea of rotational presidency in line with the so-called federal character. Why the names were only people of northern region of Nigeria? Does it connote that southern Nigerian folks are not qualified to assume the position of VP with Goodluck Joanthan as the President?
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by SapeleGuy: 5:45pm On May 08, 2010
Dede1:

Interesting enough, I have read the list of names for VP proffered by the same people who seemed to dislike the idea of rotational presidency in line with the so-called federal character. Why the names were only people of northern region of Nigeria? Does it connote that southern Nigerian folks are not qualified to assume the position of VP with Goodluck Joanthan as the President?

Thank you.
Adopt true federalism and there will be no need for these crooked arrangements.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 08, 2010
Dede1:

Will u support a legislation to write rotational Presidency into the electoral act?
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by SapeleGuy: 6:15pm On May 08, 2010
mikeansy:

Will u support a legislation to write rotational Presidency into the electoral act?

Rotation is an admission that 'I plenty pass you' politics in a country like Nigeria leads to exclusion for some and doesn't work.

If we really want to effect change, we need to ask different questions. Why are they scared to embrace fiscal federalism and devolution?
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Akanbiedu(m): 6:32pm On May 08, 2010
Dede1:

There are things done under the auspices of democracy that were not constitutional encoded. Certain arrangements are ironed out at political party levels. There was a North-South political dichotomy in terms of not only rotational presidency but office positions in the national assembly in PDP.

War usually starts with this type of petty political disingenuous being displayed by some forum contributors. It was the same rotational mechanism that gave rise to Jonathan Goodluck as VP. I am not surprise that some folks are already behaving like an overfed chicken etching for a fight with a hawk

Dede1:

What a question! It baffles me that a lot of southerners think zoning benefits north more.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 08, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

What a question! It baffles me that a lot of southerners think zoning benefits north more.

My greatest problem with zonning is not who it benefits more but that it will eventually cause more hate and distrust if it is not either strengthened or scrapped.

Now the greatest opponents of rotational Presidency are from the SouthWest. Reason being they detest the idea of waiting 48years before they can have another shut at the Presidency eventhough most times the argument will be about merit. With may be 2 more zones benefiting from rotational presidency and disliking the idea; opponents of rotational Presidency will find their voice.

Those who have benefited from the system who want to have another shut at the Presidency will simply leave PDP. Those who have not benefited from the system and have been waiting patiently will feel cheated.

This scenario will deepen more hate and mistrust. The very issues rotational Presidency was designed to resolve will be amplified.

Jonathan is an Ijaw man, I don't know when next another Ijaw man will stand in his shoes. If I am in his shoes this is what I will do. I will send a bill to write rotational Presidency into the electoral act to the NASS taking into consideration those who have already taken turns. This will expose the hypocrisy of Nigerians. If the Bill is rejected then rotational Presidency has been rejected by Nigerians and you will simply have some legitimacy if you muscle the idea out of PDP constitution.

If the bill is accepted, then you can go home in 2011 knowing that surely one day power will come to the South-South.

To ask Jonathan to jettission his Presidential ambition based on an un-existent rule is simply ridiculous. If Rotational Presidency is that wonderful then please lets have it as the law.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 08, 2010
Dede1

You are confusing Rotational Presidency and Balance of Power.

I don't think rotational Presidency was the issue when Shagari/Ekwueme paired or Murtala Mohamed/ Obasanjo or Obasanjo/Yar'adua or Buhari/Idiagbon or Babangida/Ukiwe or Abdusallam/ Aigbe.

Rotational Presidency was not the issue in the above scenarios, it is balance of power in other to have all be part of Government at all times.

Two Southerners or Two Northerners can run as President and Vice in 2011 if the like but they may not get widespread support.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by vigasimple(m): 11:30pm On May 08, 2010
mikeansy:

My greatest problem with zonning is not who it benefits more but that it will eventually cause more hate and distrust if it is not either strengthened or scrapped.

Now the greatest opponents of rotational Presidency are from the SouthWest. Reason being they detest the idea of waiting 48years before they can have another shut at the Presidency eventhough most times the argument will be about merit. With may be 2 more zones benefiting from rotational presidency and disliking the idea; opponents of rotational Presidency will find their voice.

Those who have benefited from the system who want to have another shut at the Presidency will simply leave PDP. Those who have not benefited from the system and have been waiting patiently will feel cheated.

This scenario will deepen more hate and mistrust. The very issues rotational Presidency was designed to resolve will be amplified.

@ mike,

You have completely missed the point, South west are not the major opponet of rotational Presidency so to enable them to have another shot. It i the Northern scam.

Look, come 2015 anyway, the North are not going to relinquish power unless they are forced to do so.

The reason they are forced to relinquish is because mKO Abiola was murdered by the North are the South west are threathing to seceed, and Biafra waiting in the wings, The North they made FRAUDULENT PACT in their mind wit OBJ.

I personally and so many nigerians do not care where the President comes from but it was the Northern domination of mediocare that mke Nigerians rejecting thir leadership but they then want to use rotation to have some releance.

Historically, we have 3 regions, why not North, West and East, why south/north, so that in every 4 or 8 years the jor tribes can be represntated. It is the North Fraud, that combnes Yoruba, Igbo and South south as one region.

Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by haronky7: 12:00am On May 09, 2010
Abeg, who is this Atiku that you guys are taking seriously?
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by OYBMEND: 12:25am On May 09, 2010
[size=18pt]If the Hausa/Fulani make too much noise and Jonathan decide not to run. He should purnish them by handing over to a Northern minority from middle-belt. Afterall they are Northerners too.

David Mark will be a good choice.
[/size]
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Akosbaba(m): 12:36am On May 09, 2010
So Atiku now thinks rotation is the most viable option for him to attain the post of president,before he thought defecting to AC was the answer.when will this man realise that the presidency for him is over.as for the effects of rotational presidency on the country as a whole,it is a pity that a party like PDP which is at the helm of affairs would leave free and fair primaries for some fruitless zoning exercise.right from independence this country has been ruled by only the north and the south west(excluding azikwe who was only a ceremonial president anyway)with very little progress to show for it,which creates a case for the southerners who have been yearning for the post of the no 1 man in this country.in the subsequent months before next year's election,shouldn't the incumbent president jonathan be given a chance to rule if he proves he's capable(which i don't doubt he is).I think it's high time the pdp correct this anomaly of giving power to the north.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Akosbaba(m): 12:37am On May 09, 2010
So Atiku now thinks rotation is the most viable option for him to attain the post of president,before he thought defecting to AC was the answer.when will this man realise that the presidency for him is over.as for the effects of rotational presidency on the country as a whole,it is a pity that a party like PDP which is at the helm of affairs would leave free and fair primaries for some fruitless zoning exercise.right from independence this country has been ruled by only the north and the south west(excluding azikwe who was only a ceremonial president anyway)with very little progress to show for it,which creates a case for the southerners who have been yearning for the post of the no 1 man in this country.in the subsequent months before next year's election,shouldn't the incumbent president jonathan be given a chance to rule if he proves he's capable(which i don't doubt he is).I think it's high time the pdp correct this anomaly of giving power to the north.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by redsun(m): 4:47am On May 09, 2010
PDP is fuc-ked,it is a rogue party,anybody that plays along with it is a rogue.Jonathan should make a fundamental change and rename the party or rather disband it.He should disassociate from ev il and backwardness,he will be granted amnesty for his past evil as long as he burst the system,even his wife will be pardoned.
Re: 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku by Osama10(m): 4:52am On May 09, 2010
Zoninnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnning my asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

He has eaten dust already.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Patrol Team Vehicle / Yoruba In Jos Are Peace-Loving / Petition For The Recall Of Hon. Oladimeji Sabur Bankole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.