Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,731 members, 7,935,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 11:26 PM

Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? (1012 Views)

Thank God For Slavery- A Case Of Religion Turning Blacks To Fools / Thank God For Slavery! / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by KnownUnknown: 11:51pm On Feb 08, 2023
jaephoenix:

Youre just talking bullshit.
I said where yhwh said taking of slaves is wrong, not stealing or maltreatment.
Is he not the same god that told israelites to sack a city and take the people there as slaves?
If he says don't take slaves then he'd be contradicting himself, don't you think so?

Exodus 21:
20 “When Jaephoenix strikes his slave Dtruthspeaker, allegedly male, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. 21 But if Dtruthspeaker survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

You have Yahweh’s approval to beat the scumbag to within an inch of his life. Dtruthspeaker is your money. Not worth much but he is your money regardless.
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:32am On Feb 09, 2023
jaephoenix:

Youre just talking bullshit.
I said where yhwh said taking of slaves is wrong, not stealing or maltreatment.

See yourself. Maltreatment is the core of slavery, if not you people will not be running to UK or Canada or Us offering yourselves up to be their slaves.

jaephoenix:

Is he not the same god that told israelites to sack a city and take the people there as slaves?
If he says don't take slaves then he'd be contradicting himself, don't you think so?

Now you lie, for no where did God say "sack a city and take the people there as slaves".
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 5:33am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

See, if you were not mad, you would have seen that those words mean respect your lawful authority and ruler like parents, elders, etc (masters).

Nothing about approval of slavery, RATHER IT IS ONLY GOD WHO COMMANDED THAT SLAVES MUST BE FREED IN THE SABBATH YEAR. THE ONLY ONE WHO FREED SLAVES

In all honesty, isnt it just simple to tell the masters that slavery is a sin just like saying " Thou shall not lie or steal?"

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:42am On Feb 09, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Exodus 21:
20 “When Jaephoenix strikes his slave Dtruthspeaker, allegedly male, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. 21 But if Dtruthspeaker survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

You have Yahweh’s approval to beat the scumbag to within an inch of his life. Dtruthspeaker is your money. Not worth much but he is your money regardless.

You have no thing to say such that you are now complaining against The prohibiting the murder of a slave where even your criminal laws, knowing how evil and wicked you people are, increased it from 2 days to "a year and a day"
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:54am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

In all honesty, isnt it just simple to tell the masters that slavery is a sin just like saying " Thou shall not lie or steal?"

No it is not.

It is exactly like entering into a relationship with a person. You do not go in and immediately start throwing away all the things that person is accustomed to having.

It is exactly the same challenge the missionaries met with Africans when they came here and saw that Africans had more than 1 wife. They still brought Christianity to them and had relationships with them even though they had more than 1 wife.

And today, their work is done and a lot of people have 1 wife. So it is in Isreal such that by judges, you do not see a slave in Isreal which clearly means that God's plan of eradicating slavery was successful.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 6:03am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

No it is not.

It is exactly like entering into a relationship with a person. You do not go in and immediately start throwing away all the things that person is accustomed to having.

It is exactly the same challenge the missionaries met with Africans when they came here and saw that Africans had more than 1 wife. They still brought Christianity to them and had relationships with them even though they had more than 1 wife.

And today, their work is done and a lot of people have 1 wife. So it is in Isreal such that by judges, you do not see a slave in Isreal which clearly means that God's plan of eradicating slavery was successful.

Nope, this doesn't follow.

If you can be assertive and direct to say " Thou shall not commit adultery " and " Thou shall not steal"

Then you can also say " Thou shall not own a slave"

This isnt human to human relationship as in the example your opinion is based on. This is God giving orders.

Very simple and honest to say " Thou shall not own slaves" .

3 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:11am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

Then you can also say " Thou shall not own a slave".

Do you not appreciate that He is dealing with people who already have slaves?

And He is the One Who came to them for a relationship, so is it not a case of if He does not like what He sees in them He can go?

And How can He can they listen to Him and be saved, if He does not have a relationship with them?
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 6:19am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

And He is the One Who came to them for a relationship, so is it not a case of if He does not like what He sees them He can go?

And How can He can they listen to Him if He does not have a relationship with them?

You mean He thought they wouldn't listen to him if he told them not to own slaves?

But he told them not to commit adultery, lie, steal etc . Did that stop them from having the said relationship?

I guess you arrived at this opinion in a desperate attempt at defending this very disturbing moral pain point of Christianity.

And thousands of years passed since he first communicated with them and he never deemed it necessary to tell them it was time to stop slavery.

Talking about coming to them for a relationship?

According to the bible, is he not the one that created them in the first instance?
Is the relationship between Him and them not that of " a Potter and clay"?

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:27am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

You mean He thought they wouldn't listen to him if he told them not to own slaves?

Even now do you listen to me?

If I was your friend (relationship) is it not much more certain and almost guaranteed that you would listen and obey?

sotall:

And thousands of years passed since he first communicated with them and he never deemed it necessary to tell them it was time to stop slavery...

According to the bible, is he not the one that created them in the first instance?
Is the relationship between Him and them not that of " a Potter and clay

Now you have gone Off Point and deviating from Post, because you have nothing to say.
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 6:40am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Even now do you listen to me?

If I was your friend (relationship) is it not much more certain and almost guaranteed that you would listen and obey?

Now you have gone Off Point and deviating from Post, because you have nothing to say.

grin grin

Sorry bro feel free to stop answering if you feel pushed to a corner you cant escape from. You aren't God, nor the writer of the bible.

Your recent response is so weak i cant deal.

Listen to you? Bro we are having an argument and you are not doing a good job at trying to convince me.

Bro, what kind of friendship are you talking about?

Being my friend doesn't in anyway mean i would agree/listen to whatever your opinion is.

Gone offpoint?

Is the relationship between God and man not analogous to " Potter and clay".

According to the bible, God made man in a way that pleased him just like a Potter would mould any object he wants out of clay.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:17am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

grin grin

Sorry bro feel free to stop answering if you feel pushed to a corner you cant escape from. You aren't God, nor the writer of the bible.

Your recent response is so weak i cant deal.

Arguments must be on point of the issueat all times and every deviation from the argument renders such argument invalid.

So, it is either you can give a direct answer to the issue or you can't. That is how a debate goes.

sotall:

Listen to you? Bro we are having an argument and you are not doing a good job at trying to convince me.

I am not trying to convince you, (I don't care about you) I am only having an argument and so far you are proving my case where I told you that you do not listen to people who you do not have relationship with.

sotall:

Is the relationship between God and man not analogous to " Potter and clay".

It is even better for unlike the clay, God even listens to "His Clays" and even does what they ask for.

And ditto! We know that Potter-clay is meant to remind man of his place most especially as you people have gotten out of line exactly like a Good Landlord would remind a stupid tenant that he is a tenant.

We are going away from course, so back to the issue of slavery, if you have any reasonable and valid thing to say.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 7:25am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Arguments must be on point of the issueat all times and every deviation from the argument renders such argument invalid.

So, it is either you can give a direct answer to the issue or you can't. That is how a debate goes.

I am not trying to convince you, (I don't care about you) I am only having an argument and so far you are proving my case where I told you that you do not listen to people who you do not have relationship with.

It is even better for unlike the clay, God even listens to "His Clays" and even does what they ask for.

And ditto! We know that Potter-clay is meant to remind man of his place most especially as you people have gotten out of line exactly like a Good Landlord would remind a stupid tenant that he is a tenant.

We are going away from course, so back to the issue of slavery, if you have any reasonable and valid thing to say.

How you left the main point of my earlier rebuttal and focused on the side points still baffles me.

Now give a direct answer to this and not dodge.

If God who doesn't yet have a relationship with man according to you can say " Thou shall not commit fornication " and " Thou shall not lie"

Why cant he say " Thou shall not own slaves"

In your answer please use my references. That will make this easier

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:55am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

How you left the main point of my earlier rebuttal and focused on the side points still baffles me.

grin it always amuses me to see how you people forget that this is a written debate therefore, everything said remains there and does not go away unlike non written arguments where you can feign forgetness and denial. grin

So your attempt to deflect only falls back on you and disgraces you. grin

sotall:

Now give a direct answer to this and not dodge.

If God who doesn't yet have a relationship with man according to you can say " Thou shall not commit fornication " and " Thou shall not lie"

Why cant he say " Thou shall not own slaves"

In your answer please use my references. That will make this easier

grin I have already explained it. Thou shall not commit fornication " and " Thou shall not lie" are future actions that you may do or may not do.

But slavery is already on going and they already had slaves which they think is natural and allowable unlike fornication and lying which everyone knows already that they are wrong.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 8:07am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

grin it always amuses me to see how you people forget that this is a written debate therefore, everything said remains there and does not go away unlike non written arguments where you can feign forgetness and denial. grin

So your attempt to deflect only falls back on you and disgraces you. grin

grin I have already explained it. Thou shall not commit fornication " and " Thou shall not lie" are future actions that you may do or may not do.

But slavery is already on going and they already had slaves which they think is natural and allowable unlike fornication and lying which everyone knows already that they are wrong.

Another very shallow defense grin grin

So at the time he gave them the law of "Thou shall not steal", you mean they weren't into fornication already or stealing wasn't in practice?

You can do better than this!

That they were already into slavery is not a reason not to tell them that it is wrong. Moreover thousands of years passed and He never told them to stop slavery.

Bro stop defending the indefensible.

3 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:27am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

Another very shallow
So at the time he gave them the law of "Thou shall not steal", you mean they weren't into fornication already or stealing wasn't in practice?

grin Change of Post! I did not say they did not steal or fornicate.

You don't have any thing to say. grin

sotall:

That they were already into slavery is not a reason not to tell them that it is wrong. Moreover thousands of years passed and He never told them to stop slavery.

You are just woefully clutching at at air because you have no reasonable counter to give. grin Even now, no one tells all those migrants crossing into Europe that it is wrong. The first thing that they are doing is to take care of them and settle them.

So this is God taking care of the slaves first.

So you don't have any thing to say. grin

sotall:
Bro stop defending the indefensible.

grin exactly what people say when they don't have any thing to say because

"There is no valid argument against The Truth". grin

So just rest, there is no valid argument anyone can make. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by sotall(m): 9:07am On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

You are just woefully clutching at at air because you have no reasonable counter to give. grin Even now, no one tells all those migrants crossing into Europe that it is wrong. The first thing that they are doing is to take care of them and settle them.

I leave you to your half-truths and dodging the obvious.
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:14am On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

I leave you to your half-truths and dodging the obvious.

grin hahahahaha grin .now, you know you have no thing, boy. grin

"There is no valid argument against the Truth." It is an unbreakable Law. grin
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 2:46pm On Feb 09, 2023
Image123:

What is the word used for slave in the Bible, what is the word used for servant in the Bible?
The original Hebrew word is ebed which translates to slave in English. Servant isn't the direct translation. Newer versions of the bible substituted servant there
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 2:48pm On Feb 09, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Exodus 21:

And I'll oblige Yahweh and beat the Christ outta DTruthSpeaker. So help me yahweh

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Image123(m): 2:55pm On Feb 09, 2023
jaephoenix:

The original Hebrew word is ebed which translates to slave in English. Servant isn't the direct translation. Newer versions of the bible substituted servant there

So from what you are saying, there's no Hebrew word for servant in the Bible?
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Image123(m): 2:57pm On Feb 09, 2023
LordReed:

LMFAO! Jealous of a fairytale? What a joke. Bwahahahahaha!

Quite possible if the supposed fairytale trumps everything that you believe in. Haven't you seen people jealous of fake life?
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

See yourself. Maltreatment is the core of slavery, if not you people will not be running to UK or Canada or Us offering yourselves up to be their slaves.

Now you lie, for no where did God say "sack a city and take the people there as slaves".

First things first, we are offering to be workers, not slaves. Slaves work without payment or contracts. That's not the situation there.
Deuteronomy 20:16–18, Moses gives these instructions: “As for the towns of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, you must not let anything that breathes remain alive. You shall annihilate them—the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites—just as the Lord your God has commanded.”

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by LordReed(m): 3:17pm On Feb 09, 2023
Image123:

Quite possible if the supposed fairytale trumps everything that you believe in. Haven't you seen people jealous of fake life?

LMFAO! Well sorry to burst your bubble, your fairytale god and his morality are not something I could ever be jealous of. Bwahahahahaha!
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:18pm On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

No it is not.

Monumental liar. There was slavery during the supposed era of New Testament. And besides your yahweh never said slavery was bad
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:20pm On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

And He is the One Who came to them for a relationship, so is it not a case of if He does not like what He sees in them He can go?

And How can He can they listen to Him and be saved, if He does not have a relationship with them?

And when he said thou shalt not kill or lie or have other gods , were they not killing, lying and have other graven images before?
See its really tiring defending Yahweh and the Bible. I don't envy your job at all
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Image123(m): 3:20pm On Feb 09, 2023
LordReed:

LMFAO! Well sorry to burst your bubble, your fairytale god and his morality are not something I could ever be jealous of. Bwahahahahaha!

Yet you've studied and tried to grasp it all your life. Tell the lies to the people at home dear, not me.
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:22pm On Feb 09, 2023
sotall:

But he told them not to commit adultery, lie, steal etc . Did that stop them from having the said relationship?

I guess you arrived at this opinion in a desperate attempt at defending this very disturbing moral pain point of Christianity.

And thousands of years passed since he first communicated with them and he never deemed it necessary to tell them it was time to stop slavery.

Talking about coming to them for a relationship?

Is the relationship between Him and them not that of " a Potter and clay"?
He'll soon accuse you of 'Change of post' and scamper off. Watch out.
Dude is legendary grin
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:25pm On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Just like I can tell Yahweh, 'hold on, remove your judgement don't condemn me and accuse me of murder, I wanna kill DTruthSpeaker'
And he listens to me
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:28pm On Feb 09, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Told you, didn't I? grin
Dude is so very predictable. Get him into a tight corner, and he plays his 'Change of post' card and runs away angry

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:29pm On Feb 09, 2023
Image123:

So from what you are saying, there's no Hebrew word for servant in the Bible?
The notion of servants weren't available then, only slaves. If you have a contrary evidence, do show
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by jaephoenix(m): 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2023
Image123:

If you say so, bro
Re: Does The Bible Advocate For Slavery? by Image123(m): 3:43pm On Feb 09, 2023
jaephoenix:

The notion of servants weren't available then, only slaves. If you have a contrary evidence, do show

In your words, Abraham, all the disciples and apostles were forced to work for and obey another and considered to be their property; an enslaved person, usually abducted, against their will. i am okay to be such a slave myself, enough said.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Began To See The Errors Most Christian Make In Their Faith Walk / Chief Priest Of Oba Of Benin's Cathedral Speaks On How The Church Operates. Pics / Can One Have Sex After Introduction Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.