Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,826 members, 7,938,428 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 05:19 AM

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (14966 Views)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? / Babalawos And Mamalawos In Lagos. / ~'Christians' Who Attend Church And Consult Babalawos At The Same Time. . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 9:14pm On May 17, 2010
@typia
And what is your understanding/definition of "juju", Babalawo?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by BrOwnSuga3: 9:17pm On May 17, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

@brownsuga,  grin
you are the masochistic type aren't you. you love pain so much you need to get off on nairaland by asking people to attack you.

how you love the attacks, climaxing or abuses and yabbies  grin grin grin grin grin grin

I know your type

lol , this is the babalawo we are talking about
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Oba234: 9:26pm On May 17, 2010
oh please christianity has everything to do with this thread. Weren't you the same person that said this in an earlier post in respond to somebody criticizing you
"I only came out here to air my concern and hear people's opinion over same, but not to be abused by anyone.
Your god cannot do anything to me, but my God, the I AM that I AM will recompense you  abundantly with your fowl mouth. I refuse to get into any argument with you. I have an excellent spirit and do have powers over every principalities and powers, spiritual wickedness in heavenly places, ruler of the darkness of the world, satanic human agent like you,  and I also have dominion over your juju powers and that of your god."

on your first topic thats in the racism section, you were complaining that yoruba movies belittles christianity. Then you claim the actresses are not real christians since they go to cele, etc. abeg, from everything you have posted, everything points to the fact that christianity is a big part of this.

like others have said, Nobody is forcing you to watch.  I am pretty sure the marketers of Yoruba movies are not marketing to somebody like you, so why are you complaining. They have a target audience that enjoy what is being shown and buy the movies because if it isn't so, the industry would collapse. so you are just yarning nosense. There are lots of thinsg in life we don't life and wish we could change, if you can't change it, stop screaming on nairaland infront of your computer.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by toideve(m): 9:48pm On May 17, 2010
@Post

because they are fetish in nature
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Dotman01(m): 10:01pm On May 17, 2010
I will only answer the questn if d poster can tell me why. . . Richard gere likes to make love in his movie (of wch i believe they av an educated nd more competent producers). . . . Why are lot of american films show a lot of intimacy, crime, scientic - fictions and LIES(Tricks)scenes. . . . 2nd questn who told u ur way of worshippin God is d right way, your pastor?. . . . I dnt think u av d rite to judge or say c&s churches ( am nt a member)are like babalawos. . . . .wat gve u d impression ur doctrine is right. . . .like u said earlier this is 21st century.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by tunnytox(m): 10:25pm On May 17, 2010
There is no doubt that the poster is right most Yoruba movies promote babalawos, but do i personally have any problem with this? my answer is NO, the way out of this is simple scanned through any film before watching it if you don't like it don't watch it no be force, grin I usually watch yoruba films on youtube whenever I have some time but what I'll alwys do is scan through it first, once it contains any scene of Babalawo, Alfa or even Pastor I'll not watch it , its that simple. What that means is that i end up watching only few Yoruba films.

What I see about all these films is that instead of educating some deluded Nigerians its rather encouraging them to continue to live in ignorance, I believe up to 90% of problems most people take to Babalawo or pastor only requires common sense but a typical Nigerian will attach spritual meaning to anything, it just ignorance
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by mekusxxx: 10:26pm On May 17, 2010
Because most of them are babalawos. Beni!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 10:27pm On May 17, 2010
Dotman01:

I will only answer the questn if d poster can tell me why. . . Richard gere likes to make love in his movie (of wch i believe they av an educated nd more competent producers). . . . Why are  lot of american films show a lot of , crime, scientic - fictions and LIES(Tricks)scenes. . . . 2nd questn [b]who told u your way of worshippin God is d right way, your pastor?. . . . I dnt [/b]think u av d rite to judge or say c&s churches ( am nt a member)are like babalawos. . . . .wat gve u d impression your doctrine is right. . . .like u said earlier this is 21st century.

Love making in movies is permitted as long as there is consent. I retract my statement regarding C&S and do apologise if this is causing any upset.

I don't need any pastor to tell me what to do, ok! By the way, since most of you guys are in favour of babalawos appearing in most youruba movies, I kinda concur with what one poster said, " because they are fetish in nature"
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 10:32pm On May 17, 2010
tunnytox:

There is no doubt that the poster is right most Yoruba movies promote babalawos, but do i personally have any problem with this? my answer is NO, the way out of this is simple scanned through any film before watching it if you don't like it don't watch it no be force,  grin I usually watch yoruba films on youtube whenever I have some time but what I'll alwys do is scan through it first, once it contains any scene of Babalawo, Alfa or even Pastor I'll not watch it , its that simple. What that means is that i end up watching only few Yoruba films.

What I see about all these films is that instead of educating some deluded Nigerians its rather encouraging them to continue to live in ignorance, I believe up to 90% of problems most people take to Babalawo or pastor only requires common sense but a typical Nigerian will attach spritual meaning to anything, it just ignorance

You've just said my mind  @tunnytox.

Thank you jare e.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 12:19am On May 18, 2010
Okay, so the conclusion you came to (which seems that is where you did set out to arrive at, at the onset) is that "Yoruba people are fetish"?
Right? Thats your final conclusion?

Okay, we dont need to discuss the issue any further.

Lets move on to something more interesting and less Fetish grin grin grin

End of Story.

BTW: Someone said you had a post in the racism section where you state that "Yoruba Films belittle Christianity"?

Adding that, to this current, Are you planning to "Un-write Yoruba History" just because YOU are a Christian like the rest of us?

Different stories for different folks.
Just "left" the Yoruba people alone. You can exist without them, l think?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 12:20am On May 18, 2010
lastpage:

@typia
And what is your understanding/definition of "juju", Babalawo?

the stuff being discussed on this thread and in the said movies.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 12:23am On May 18, 2010
^^^^^

Not this kind of "one-liner".
It does not give much info.
But as stated above, l guess the issue has come to a conclusion already grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32am On May 18, 2010
The same Mount Zion films that some folks hate are the ones doing justice to the Yoruba tradition and Christianity as you will see in this film.

Click to see who is the true and living God and who the dead gods are. 

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVmQfniSBQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1[/flash]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 12:35am On May 18, 2010
lastpage:

Okay, so the conclusion you came to (which seems that is where you did set out to arrive at, at the onset) is that "Yoruba people are fetish"?
Right? Thats your final conclusion?

Okay, we dont need to discuss the issue any further.

Lets move on to something more interesting and less Fetish grin grin grin

End of Story.

BTW: Someone said you had a post in the racism section where you state that "Yoruba Films belittle Christianity"?

Adding that, to this current, Are you planning to "Un-write Yoruba History" just because YOU are a Christian like the rest of us?

Different stories for different folks.
Just "left" the Yoruba people alone. You can exist without them, l think?

Aren't we fetish? grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ceasyc(f): 1:48am On May 18, 2010
@topic true dat but i dont think d right word is[size=14pt] "promote" but portray[/size]. dey gats 2 act wots really happening in real life sum times

[size=14pt]when i went 2 india, i saw people worshipping idols/gods, even on d streets n dey do d same thing in their[b] bollywood films[/b] but dey r still very successful. ppl buy/watch their films all over d world, even nigerians[/size]

aishwarya rai bachchan acts in these kind of movies, she gets paid over 15 million dollars a movie, her/their movies sells millionssss worldwide and she has even been to oprah @least 2x BUT if 9jans do all these tins wey indians dey do, hm WAHALA dey ohhh. [size=14pt]you hardly even see an indian movie dat portrays/shows church marriage or anytin xtain [/size]

am not saying dat dey should or shouldn't portray these tins in their movies cos am not a movie producer or wotever. [size=14pt]cmon people, movies gats 2 sell, if not then wots d main reason 4 making d movie in d 1st place [/size]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by italo: 6:53am On May 18, 2010
The topic should be, 'why do Yorubas promote babalawos?'
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by AloyEmeka5: 6:54am On May 18, 2010
[size=16pt]Watching a movie is not by force. If you don't like Yoruba movies, look the other way and allow those who actually love it to watch them. Chikena.[/size]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by AloyEmeka5: 6:55am On May 18, 2010
italo:

The topic should be, 'why do Yorubas promote babalawos?'
[size=16pt]
Because juju is an integral part of Yoruba culture. Yorubas are more conversant with spirits, voodoo  and the spiritual world than any other ethnic group in Africa.
[/size]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tuyis: 7:43am On May 18, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

[size=16pt]
Because juju is an integral part of Yoruba culture. Yorubas are more conversant with spirits, voodoo  and the spiritual world than any other ethnic group in Africa.
[/size]

Obviously you know nothing about the Yoruba culture and history. The history has been bastardized to the point where what used to be a traditional healer is now widely regarded as a diabolical figure.

Even the Esu in Yoruba traditional believe is not remotely connected to the Biblical devil. The concept of the demonic, evil doing Lucifer was not present in Yoruba culture before Christianity.
Anyway, Its just a movie. If you don't like it, toss it and watch what you like!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Dotman01(m): 8:03am On May 18, 2010
Av watched some nollywood movies where dey potray some kinda fetish things too itsnt just yoruba movies alone . . . . THIS IS AFRICA. . . . Believe it or not, its part of d culture
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Cohomology: 8:08am On May 18, 2010
[b]All talk about juju is utter rubbish!

Juju has zero powers and those who think otherwise are just part of the huge proportion of gullible Nigerians.

1. No juju can provide the level of healthcare modern medicine can provide. None!
2. No juju can compete with modern transportation: cars, airplanes, etc.
3. No juju can provide any form of communication between people separated by large distances, like the cellphone, satellite phone, VOIP, etc. can provide.
4. All juju must bow to the laws of physics! My AK-47 will annihilate any babalawo, in this life or the the next. Kapish!

When the Europeans arrived Africa, our ignorant predecessors (bless their sweet but ignorant souls), were beheading humans and sacrificing to nonentities to provide protection. However, when their worthless juju was confronted with European soldiers, Christians who believed in the grace of God through Christ Jesus our Saviour, but never doubted the universal laws codified in the physical and chemical equations that govern the behavior of matter, ALL the juju and their ignorant adherents were crushed!

The average Nigerian believes in juju because of the cataclysmic ignorance that rules Nigeria!
[/b]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Cohomology: 8:12am On May 18, 2010
The facts don't lie. The reality is that juju has done absolutely nothing for our society, hence, its existence is a fraud perpetuated by two things: FEAR and IGNORANCE.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Ranoscky(m): 8:19am On May 18, 2010
@poster

Na dia wey be dat!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tuyis: 8:31am On May 18, 2010
Cohomology:

[b]All talk about juju is utter rubbish!

Juju has zero powers and those who think otherwise are just part of the huge proportion of gullible Nigerians.

1. No juju can provide the level of healthcare modern medicine can provide. None!
2. No juju can compete with modern transportation: cars, airplanes, etc.
3. No juju can provide any form of communication between people separated by large distances, like the cellphone, satellite phone, VOIP, etc. can provide.
4. All juju must bow to the laws of physics! My AK-47 will annihilate any babalawo, in this life or the the next. Kapish!

When the Europeans arrived Africa, our ignorant predecessors (bless their sweet but ignorant souls), were beheading humans and sacrificing to nonentities to provide protection. However, when their worthless juju was confronted with European soldiers, Christians who believed in the grace of God through Christ Jesus our Saviour, but never doubted the universal laws codified in the physical and chemical equations that govern the behavior of matter, ALL the juju and their ignorant adherents were crushed!

The average Nigerian believes in juju because of the cataclysmic ignorance that rules Nigeria!
[/b]

You are absolutely right, but the question here is not whether juju is real or effective. The poster just don't like to see it in movies, which is perfectly legitimate, but then this is 2010 not 1610.
You don't go out and shoot at Indians after watching a western, why would you want to visit a babalawo after watching some Yoruba movie?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by igbonla(m): 8:49am On May 18, 2010
Ignorance is a disease! Unfortunately, the poster cannot be educated on this thread and I don't even have the time.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by FBS: 9:06am On May 18, 2010
Yoruba movies are tight- I like them but I only wish they could stop the unnecessary heavy cursing. It's way out of hand.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tudor6(f): 9:08am On May 18, 2010
Cohomology:

The facts don't lie. The reality is that juju has done absolutely nothing for our society, hence, its existence is a fraud perpetuated by two things: FEAR and IGNORANCE.

And what has christianity n islam done for our society?

The existence of christianity is a fraud perpetuated by FEAR and IGNORANCE.

The facts dont lie. . . . Christians, pastors, bishops, holy ghost n masquerade, jesus, wateva have ZERO powers. They re just inventions of the mind of desert tribesmen

Before the white slavers came with their christianity we had our own way of life, worship. Thousands of years of culture n tradition will not be thrown away because some people prefer to be daft and swallow the myths of the white man's dead god.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ayo2009ice(m): 9:47am On May 18, 2010
up up yorubas.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by FrenchyL(m): 10:02am On May 18, 2010
The answer is very obvious, it is a cultural thing. The yorubas are very fetish people so it should not surprise you at. Babalawos are an intergral part of yoruba culture. shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Borat1: 10:23am On May 18, 2010
Cos yorubas are very fetish people. VERY. . .
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 10:59am On May 18, 2010
igbonla:

Ignorance is a disease! Unfortunately, the poster cannot be educated on this thread and I don't even have the time.

Don't wanna call u ignorant @igbonla. I am of the opinion that the use of babalawo in almost all the Yoruba films should be limited.

Some people don't just like criticism.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by richjohn1(m): 11:13am On May 18, 2010
This OP is insane so its 'jesus' thath should be promoted abi? The white people that dashed you 'jesus' has dumped him and left him long ago continue in your delusion. I hope you know 'esu' is not devil and I think I remember a thread here that "THE IBOS SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO EKWENSU" all these delusion coming with xtianity should be a thing of the past why are we daft in africa. Come to think of it, its the white people are discovering and excavating egypt: amenhotep, cleopatra, nefertiti, king khufu, king tut, ramesses etc these were black people yet its white people discovering ancient egyptian mysteries all we know how to do is Shout halleluyah, praise the lawd, jesus is lord bla bla bla, Am ashamed of being african, my people are disgusting!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Christianity Vs. Satanism / The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal / Bakare: Only Rich Men Should Rule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.