Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,108 members, 7,890,684 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:12 PM

Very Common English Language Errors - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Very Common English Language Errors (27249 Views)

Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Very Common English Language Errors by dazzy4real(m): 3:12am On May 23, 2010
Pls send me d link also dazzy4real2000@yahoo.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by pingu2k5(m): 8:18am On May 23, 2010
I are try to conpose myself hear so that I will not make mistakes in this thread full of quick-to-spot-error peeple. Please send to me whatever you has be sending: pingu2k5@yahoo.com

I majorly in English, thats what I teaching. I dont really need it for me, simply because I has the bestest command for the English language (as in, I speaks it like the natives), but I needs it for the peeples I teach who couldnt speak english talk less of written.

Thanks you.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by pingu2k5(m): 8:32am On May 23, 2010
Some people pronounce these two words differently: fiancé and fiancée, which is wrong. Both are pronounced: /fI'a:nseI/, with fiancé meaning a man you are getting married to and fiancée meaning the opposite.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Borat1: 11:15am On May 23, 2010
This one is a pandemic>>>> 'Loose' instead of 'Lose'
"Super Eagles are going to loose" instead of "Super Eagles are going to lose"
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Jonwesley(m): 1:12pm On May 23, 2010
People use "a tip of an iceberg" wrongly. Most times you hear someone who in a attempt to reveal some items, programs, good things lined up tells you- this is a tip of an iceberg, after telling you a bit of what is there on offer and which in effect means many more goodies are yet to be revealed. Whereas, the appropriate way to use "a tip of an iceberg" is to signify danger that lies ahead. An iceberg is a glaciated landforms caused by glaciers or glacial deposits by ice, winds and temperatures.There are very massive structure hidden or covered by water but with a small tip of the structure showing outside, in a cold and unfriendly environment. The small tip shown outside is a deceit of its massive structure which usually causes ship wreck or other accidents in major rivers where they are found.

An example of appropriate usage could be- "Driving along the busy Benin-Lagos express way, experiences of Tyre bursts due to bad road, traffic hold up and extortion by Mobile policemen are a tip of an iceberg of what usually happen on the way".

An example of inappropriate usage could be- "Let me inform you that the programs you have just watched is a tip of an iceberg, please stay tuned and do not touch the dial".
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by olaolabiy: 2:06pm On May 23, 2010
^^^^^^^^^JONWESLEY
sorry man,
it is called 'a tip of the iceberg'.

it is not called 'a tip of an iceberg'.

got it?

thanks for the info though. well done.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by HayYlay(m): 2:16pm On May 23, 2010
Haha. Bigblow.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by HayYlay(m): 2:17pm On May 23, 2010
Haha. Bigblow.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by HayYlay(m): 2:17pm On May 23, 2010
Haha. Bigblow.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Rudewaterz(m): 2:32pm On May 23, 2010
mmmm, well to be honest I wasn't too interested until you made mention of that post UME stuff; I've got one (Uni Maid) coming up real soon. rudewaterz@yahoo.com. eagerly looking forward to devouring your e-mail. Thanks
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by HayYlay(m): 2:42pm On May 23, 2010
Blame it on the musicians, they u wordz wrongly and they call it swagger. E.g 2face, terryg, 9ice even d.band and many othaz. Then we copy n store in brainz.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by HayYlay(m): 2:46pm On May 23, 2010
Gu idea man. @rudewaterz[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by MrCartha: 3:58pm On May 23, 2010
Still yet, he continued grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by MissyB1(m): 4:39pm On May 23, 2010
Or else, I'll slap You.  undecided
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Oyecute(m): 6:31pm On May 23, 2010
I'm also interested ,olawoye. O_lamy@yahoo.com(underscore)
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by olaolabiy: 6:32pm On May 23, 2010
evidences, slangs, presidential hopeful (americanism), fastly (already an adverb), opportuned(it is an adjective, not a verb), masterminder (remember oladipo diya?),

do you want me to go on and on and on?
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by olaolabiy: 6:36pm On May 23, 2010
GBAM!!!

^^^^^^^^^YES! this is the most common among nigerians, even some professionals use it. tell me the purpose of 3 !'s (!!!).

WRONG!
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Abuloma80(f): 7:38pm On May 23, 2010
Mr. Olawoye, thanks for the priceless but valuable enlightening, on how to learn and speak good English (am i correct?)

Would be pleased, if you send me some copies of similar materials.

E-mail: hknuhu6@yahoo.com

Once more, thank you.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Mayflowa(m): 11:06pm On May 23, 2010
Olawoye thanks. Please forward to satz5000@yahoo.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by mrrock: 12:24am On May 24, 2010
You are free to make mistakes when you speak English language. English people do make mistakes too when they speak English same way you do make mistakes when you speak your mothers tongue. Remember English is not your first language.

My people please stop this trend of colonial mentality. Bob marley said "EMANCIPATE YOURSELVES FROM MENTAL SLAVERY". People like FELA, Marcus Garvey, Mandela have spent their lifes to set you free!!!!. Free your minds now.

Russians, Chineese, Germans, Arabs, Japanese e.t.c all those civilations in other parts of the world that are doing well today are not doing well because they learnt to speak English, infact they are doing well because of the opposite!!. If you travel to the above countries you find out they hardly speak English, this is the reason they are successful civilizations. Language is a very powerful tool. What you should be promoting is an African language like swahili not English language.

English have destroyed African reasoning and understanding of subjects like Physics, Chemistry, e.t.c these are the sciences that a civilization needs to develope it's own science, technology and therefore develope. The one reason Africa is lagging behind in science and therefore development is because as I said subjects like physics and chemistry e.t.c are being taught in schools in English language so students have to do the double works of understanding it's English interpretations first then the subject. This is not what the Russians, Chineese, Germans, Arabs, Japanese e.t.c do!!. These civilizations understands science in their own reasoning based on their language. Can anybody here tell me; what do you call TRIOXO NITRIC ACID in IGBO, HAUSA, YORUBA, indeed in any African language?. You see?. You don't know it neither do I.

But the Russians, Chineese, Germans, Arabs, Japanese e.t.c understand what TRIOXO NITRIC ACID means in their own language and therefore understand science in their own reasoning that's the single reason there are doing better than Africans in science and technology. And that's why they are developed countries.

The Russians were the first nation to put man on the moon. They learnt science in their own reasoning as Rusians.

I' am not saying you should not learn English but it have done more harm than good in Africa.

I' am an independent thinker.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Ndipe(m): 12:46am On May 24, 2010
bobbyj:

I have always wondered why some Nigerians (and I do mean Nigerians) tend to say 'severally' for instance "I have told you severally" rather than 'several times'.
I cannot help, but wonder how this manner of speaking developed.  Apart from the fact that it does not sound right, it is in my opinion just wrong, it is simply incomplete!  Watch any Nigerian movie and you will hear this phrase. 
As a Nigerian living in the UK, I enjoy watching Naija movies on the Nollywood channel, but on occasions, I have had to explain to non Nigerian when the word 'severally' is uttered.
I accept that there are some unique words that Nigerians use, especially when we talk to one another, but to use this word in this manner is rather bemusing to say the least.  I am also a 'product' of Nigerian education, but I know that this word just doesn't sound right when used in this manner.

Maybe they mean "Severely."
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by denzel2009: 1:06am On May 24, 2010
mrrock:

You are free to make mistakes when you speak English language. English people do make mistakes too when they speak English same way you do make mistakes when you speak your mothers tongue. Remember English is not your first language.

My people please stop this trend of colonial mentality. Bob marley said "EMANCIPATE YOURSELVES FROM MENTAL SLAVERY". People like FELA, Marcus Garvey, Mandela have spent their lifes to set you free!!!!. Free your minds now.

Russians, Chineese, Germans, Arabs, Japanese e.t.c all those civilations in other parts of the world that are doing well today are not doing well because they learnt to speak English, infact they are doing well because of the opposite!!. If you travel to the above countries you find out they hardly speak English, this is the reason they are successful civilizations. Language is a very powerful tool. What you should be promoting is an African language like swahili not English language.

English have destroyed African reasoning and understanding of subjects like Physics, Chemistry, e.t.c these are the sciences that a civilization needs to develope it's own science, technology and therefore develope. The one reason Africa is lagging behind in science and therefore development is because as I said subjects like physics and chemistry e.t.c are being taught in schools in English language so students have to do the double works of understanding it's English interpretations first then the subject. This is not what the Russians, Chineese, Germans, Arabs, Japanese e.t.c do!!. These civilizations understands science in their own reasoning based on their language. Can anybody here tell me; what do you call TRIOXO NITRIC ACID in IGBO, HAUSA, YORUBA, indeed in any African language?. You see?. You don't know it neither do I.

But the Russians, Chineese, Germans, Arabs, Japanese e.t.c understand what TRIOXO NITRIC ACID means in their own language and therefore understand science in their own reasoning that's the single reason there are doing better than Africans in science and technology. And that's why they are developed countries.

The Russians were the first nation to put man on the moon. They learnt science in their own reasoning as Rusians.

I' am not saying you should not learn English but it have done more harm than good in Africa.

I' am an independent thinker.

True man!! Let's urge Goodluck Jonathan to read the next budget in wafi cheesy
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by hardmoore: 6:24am On May 24, 2010
Props to the convener of this thread. I received my first university degree from Nigeria and in all the years that i spent in Nigerian schools, i never learnt the proper use of commas as it relates to separating three or more elements in a series, including the last two. Not until I took my first English Language course at a US college.  So here's to all our wordsmiths out there.

"He hit the ball, dropped the bat and ran to first base." (not recommended)
"He hit the ball, dropped the bat[b],[/b] and ran to first base." (recommended)

"Kemi offered me a bottle of coke, a box of matches and a jar of water for my camp meeting" (not recommended)
"Kemi offered me a bottle of coke, a box of matches[b], [/b] and a jar of water for my camp meeting" (recommended)

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together. Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 11:16am On May 24, 2010
Many Nigerians do not pronounce ASSUME correctly, they call one person A STAFF-a staffer or a member of staff and the same goes to personnel, they say one of my friend instead of one of my friends or a friend, they say a social person-instead of a sociable person, on phone instead of on the phone, she comes here everyday instead of she comes here every day,birds of the same feather instead of birds of a feather,should if you-instead of using one,senior brother instead of older/elder brother, frown face instead of frown, eat ur cake and have it instead of have ur cake and eat it and say CONGRATULATION instead of adding an 's'.They are many.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 11:26am On May 24, 2010
top_kin:

@ Olawale:
Good job bro. Pls post more, topsie28@yahoo.co.uk
top_kin:

@ Olawale:
Good job bro. Pls post more, topsie28@yahoo.co.uk
Ndipe:

And "much better" is redundant and not good english. It's "You sound better, not you sound much better. . ."
Ndipe:

And "much better" is redundant and not good english. It's "You sound better, not you sound much better. . ."

This is good. You do not use much all the time. Our teacher used cause instead of course. The good is we need to unlearn to get nice pals and for our kids to benefit in the future not in future (this has another meaning oh).I love English.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by vizion: 1:36pm On May 24, 2010
good stuff bro

one common mistake you hear even on NTA is

INVITED GUESTS rather than INVITEES or GUEST

another mistake when telling the time is the use of AT ABOUT, instead of AT, ABOUT, or BY, (depending on the circumstances).

one more is "in the long run" rather than "ON the long run"
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by AMIRACH: 1:38pm On May 24, 2010
Good, thank you teacher Ola
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by aristocrat(m): 2:02pm On May 24, 2010
Thank u o, wole soyinka of our time. More fucking power to ur fucking elbow
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Agbo2(m): 5:37pm On May 24, 2010
Please send me a copy at daygee70@yahoo.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by olayinkaj2(m): 5:53pm On May 24, 2010
@poster, mine is simplecool006@rocketmail.com! That was a great job. Keep it up
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by rume(m): 7:35pm On May 24, 2010
What is the correct pronounciation for
PNEUMATIC
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by olaolabiy: 12:40am On May 25, 2010
AMIRACH:

Good, thank you teacher Ola

you are welcome, sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Female BSU Student Dies 3 Weeks After Her Graduation (Photos) / Sanwo-Olu Commissions Nigeria's Largest Student Arcade In LASU / Students And Teachers Ran For Their Lives As Student Detonated Teargar In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.