Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,120 members, 7,890,721 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:58 PM

Very Common English Language Errors - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Very Common English Language Errors (27252 Views)

Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 14, 2010
Abroad and Oversea in use:

A daily writing tips note I picked to share:

abroad” and “overseas” as adverbs meaning out of one’s own country, have often been used interchangeably, but is wrong.
Though they both are adjectives, but overseas is used before a noun, while abroad always comes after the word it describes.

E.g., Overseas food takes over local market;

Trainees of the municipal industries are scheduled to practice abroad

As adverbs, overseas and abroad are not always interchangeable.
Using with 'employment for instance; 'Overseas employment' or 'employments abroad' ,
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 23, 2010
Fateful and Faithful

They truly sound alike, but mean different things.

Fateful means 'important but having bad, undesirable consequences' as in; "the fateful day of the accident".

Faithful is a word that almost sounds the same as fateful. Faithful means 'obedient to instructions or loyal to an agreement', especially in religious use as in; "a faithful Muslim".
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by BLACKSNIP(m): 11:20am On Jun 23, 2010
Ndipe:

Check this explanation on this site out, it will help you out.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=255651

Thanks.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by ifkunlethe: 1:30pm On Jun 23, 2010
English1:

I'm always amazed at how good Nigerians are with languages - often speaking two, three, four or more! They may not be perfect in all of them, but there's a talent there! I only speak English sad so I would never criticise anyone who's made the effort to learn it even if it's still at a basic level.
I also don't think there's anything wrong with having an accent - everyone has an accent of one sort or other.

There are lots of varieties of English these days, all over the world, and none of them are exactly the same. I wouldn't worry too much about speaking 'Nigerian' English in Nigeria, why not? It only becomes a problem when you move to a place where they have a different form of English, and then it's wise to adapt to the local form. I know a lot of Nigerians have problems when they first come to the UK because most English people are not yet familiar with that accent or the mannerisms.

Anyway I have a question for you.

We have a new Nigerian lady at work. She keeps adding 's' to the end of people's names when she says them. Peter becomes Peters, for example. This is starting to irritate a couple of her collegues. I need to talk to her about it but I'm curious as to whether this is just an odd habit she has, or if it maybe comes from her language in some way (she is Yoruba)?

Note that your last statement in bracket does not connote any form of question. though you used question mark there. You probably meant (Is she Yoruba), right? Well, it could be her accent.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 24, 2010
I am hearing you (wrong)

I can hear you (correct)

Caution: There are some verbs that cannot take "ing" except where they are used as Gerund nouns. They are called stative verbs. By stative, it implies that they are used in their simple present terms; they are not dynamic.

Other examples are; 'understand', 'love', 'hate', 'like', 'trust', 'think', 'regard', 'doubt', 'find', '(dis)believe', 'agree', 'detest', 'prefer', 'want', 'forgive', 'feeling', 'abhor', 'depend', 'see', etc.

E.g.;

I am seeing you for the first time (wrong)

This is the first time I am seeing you (also wrong)
but;
This is the first time I have seen you (correct)

Also;
I am now loving her (wrong)
I now love her (correct)

Also;
Sir, now, I am understanding the points (wrong)
Sir, I now understand the point (correct)

EASY NOTE: Any of the things you do with the sense organs are most inclusive -'see', 'hear', 'taste', 'feel' and 'smell'. Also, I guess anything that involves sensation or that is abstract falls in hear.

Be free to share your views or questions hear.

Receive free tutorials on English Language >> Sign up in my signature link below.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Remiuc: 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2010
God bless those who initiated this site for learning. smiley I am thrilled over what I see here in Nairaland.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Donstan1: 7:36pm On Jun 24, 2010
Am in,here is my email id.onystainless@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 30, 2010
Google should be pronounced as /GU:-gl/.

Illustration: the 'Goo' should be pronounced as spelled i.e. 'GU'. The : beside the U shows that it is drawn as if you have 'GUU'.

It is common to hear the resulting 'U' sound in G[u]oo[/u]gle pronounced as the 'o' in 'p[u]o[/u]t'.

It is 'G[u]u:[/u]gl' and not 'G[u]o[/u]gl'.

Thanks.

Please be informed of a book that guides you to Speak and Sound unique, project louder, vary your accent as situations demand, find your quality voice every morning to prepare it for communication, etc. I recommend it for teachers, students, singers, preachers, customer care representatives and all regular users of the voice. It normally goes for #1, 500 at the moment but students that cannot afford this should let me know @ +234806 060 6166.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by younggurl(f): 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2010
@ Olawole you forgot to put this, you had better or you better e.g you better watch what you say or you had better watch what you say, please enlighten us more on this, thanks
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by keji101(m): 11:51am On Jul 05, 2010
nice one
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 16, 2010
@younggurl , sorry I saw this late.

'You had better' simply is a form of counsel or piece of advice. It puts to a person what he/she is 'supposed' to do in a situation. E.g., "You had better agree with him on his views". It is a way of saying "You should agree with him on his views".

But for "You better", I can't really match it with any meaning in standard English. 'You' agrees with 'are', 'were', 'had', but not with 'better'. Using 'better' on its own should be followed with 'than' or other objects.

The correct expression in this wise is "had better".

Hope this piece answers it!
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by younggurl(f): 2:43pm On Jul 27, 2010
@olawoye thanks a million
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by kelwheezy(m): 10:27pm On Aug 25, 2010
Great Job bro, am in, kelmanwanted@yahoo.com, once again tank you!!
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 26, 2010
Pronouncing Words That End in 'lm'

Not many one-syllable English words end in the letters -lm. Sometimes the l in them is pronounced; sometimes it isn’t.

Here’s a list of the most common -lm words, together with the pronunciation in the phonetic notation given at Answers.com. Many Americans pronounce all of these words with an l.

alms [ämz]

balm [bäm]

calm [käm]

elm [ĕlm]

embalm [ĕm-bäm']

film [fĭlm]

helm [hĕlm]

palm [päm]

psalm [säm]

qualm [kwäm]

realm [rĕlm]

whelm [hwĕlm]

These pronunciations all agree with those given in the OED.

Get updated for everyday, free at the link provided below.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 01, 2010
Let me crack my brain (incorrect)

Let me rack my brain (correct)

I saw this somewhere on nairaland.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by ayex0001: 1:28am On Sep 02, 2010
Although some academics are undoubtedly nuts, the usual English-language pronunciation of “academia” does not rhyme with “macadamia.” The third syllable is pronounced “deem.” Just say “academe” and add “ee-yuh.”

However, there’s an interesting possibility if you go with “ack-uh-DAME-ee-yuh: although some people will sneer at your lack of sophistication, others will assume you’re using the Latin pronunciation and being learned.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Ayowumie(m): 9:31am On Sep 08, 2010
@poster, Great Job. However, you may as well tell us you are sorry for passing wrong grammar usage across to naira landers.
STIPEND is pronounced STI-PEND and not STAI-PEND as you informed us.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 23, 2010
Ayowumie:

@poster, Great Job. However, you may as well tell us you are sorry for passing wrong grammar usage across to naira landers.
STIPEND is pronounced STI-PEND and not STAI-PEND as you informed us.

May I ask the source where you got the pronunciation representation from?

Please refer to dictionary.com to look up how it is represented.
Thanks.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by somubz(m): 7:49pm On Sep 23, 2010
@Olawoye, I'm als intrstd here is my mail addrez: somubz1904success@rocketmail.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Ayowumie(m): 12:53pm On Sep 24, 2010
Olawoye:

May I ask the source where you got the pronunciation representation from?

Please refer to dictionary.com to look up how it is represented.
Thanks.

Here is my source:

sti·pend [st pènd, stpənd]
(plural sti·pends)
noun
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by gestapo(f): 9:41pm On Sep 24, 2010
Excuse me Teacher, what is it with Nigerians and the use of the phrase "DOUBLE DATING" INSTEAD OF "TWO TIMING", ITS A SHAME embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Bebosimple: 12:58am On Sep 25, 2010
olawale i'm keenly interested my email is iton_godwin@yahoo.com. Thanks men.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by phemmy88(m): 1:05pm On Sep 25, 2010
I'm very much interested

i shall be submitting my own research too.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 25, 2010
Ayowumie:

Here is my source:

sti·pend [st pènd, stpənd]
(plural sti·pends)
noun
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The concerned symbol isn't showing. It is what helps to determine whether to call it STAI or STI. Please let's know if the source is online and we could check through the website address.

It's good to learn together.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Ayowumie(m): 8:15am On Sep 27, 2010
The source is not online. It is from Microsoft Student Encarta. I copied the signs, but the sign of contention refused to show. Just refer to an encarta dictionary or any Oxford dictionary.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 27, 2010
All you need to do is pay her DOWRY and you will marry her - Incorrect

All you need to do is pay her BRIDE PRICE and you will marry her - Correct
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 27, 2010
Taxi Driver Who Hit JEG's Car Charged For Murder - Incorrect

Charged With Murder - Correct
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 28, 2010
The Reason is because (avoid it)

The reason is that , (use)

'The reason' already suggests 'because'. It would be repeated to use 'because' after 'the reason'.

Also, avoid "The reason why,

It's safe to use 'The reason is that'.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 29, 2010
Mamaput's food is SWEET - Avoid it
Mamaput's food is DELICIOUS - Use it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Female BSU Student Dies 3 Weeks After Her Graduation (Photos) / Sanwo-Olu Commissions Nigeria's Largest Student Arcade In LASU / Students And Teachers Ran For Their Lives As Student Detonated Teargar In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.