Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,971 members, 7,873,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:19 AM

Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife (159611 Views)

Catriona Laing Visits Ooni Of Ife [photo] / Governor Obiano Visits Ooni Of Ife And Wife, Wishes Them A Successful Marriage / Larry Ekundayo Visits Ooni Of Ife And Kneels Before Him (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (123) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Saladin25(m): 10:18am On Apr 29, 2018
shizzle1:
okay good, if you truly Yoruba as you say, it's pleasing and heart warming to see reasonable and objective Yoruba like you.

Just for you, the derogatory remarks will take an exception.
Most of your folks are just so disgusting and irritating to say the least. They turn everything to Igbo bashing.

Look at first page, from nowhere one foolish Yoruba boy started with the bashing saying its Igbos claiming that Obama Benin does not leave his palace, wetin concern agbero with overload?
You see brother, all the ethnic groups have issues on Nairaland. One ethnic group always want to see themselves as superior, but to me no ethnic group is superior than the other. We are human first before we belonged to one religion/ethnic. Just always overlook ethnic bashing because, in every race/ethnic/religion we have the good and the bad ones.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Saladin25(m): 10:26am On Apr 29, 2018
macof:
you have not done any findings

1. have you heard the popular Bini saying 'Uhe n'o bie Oba' Ife birthed the Oba
2. Why is the priest of the Oba's ancestral shrine one of the people who accompanied Oranmiyan to Bini.
3. Why is the Oba called 'Ovbie Oodua n'uhe' son of oduduwa of Ife
4. why were the corpse of the early Bini kings taken to Ife for final funeral rights
5. why does the Ogiamien of Utantan (formerly Ogiso) claim Oba of Bini is a foreigner. Ogiso dynasty was still existing until Oba Ewedo finally defeated Ogiamien.
6. what is the hidden meaning of the Ekiopagha Treaty?
7. Why is any refers to Ekalederhan absent in the coronation rites of the Oba of Bini or any tradition that has to do with the Oba?
8. Have you heard of Ughotun, the town founded by Ekalederhan? If he went on to be king of Ile-ife, don't you think Ife people would know of Ughotun and even know of Ekalederhan being oduduwa?
9. What do you know about Oke-ora? Oke-ora happens to be according to Ife traditions the origin of Oduduwa. [If you want to know more about Oke-ora, you can open a different thread where i will answer your questions, or better get in touch with Ife chiefs - the Obadio and Olojudo]
If I may ask you, where is the word "Oba" originated from? As I have said before Yoruba accounts contradicts a lot. Now you are talking about Oke-Ora that according to the people of Ile-ife it is the Origin of Oduduwa. Which one do you want us to believe? Is it the Mecca version or Oduduwa coming from the sky with chains or Oduduwa coming from Egypt? Have heard another one Oke-Ora? Yoruba Historian should go back and pick one source or else, the Origin of Oduduwa will always be a subject of mockery.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by shizzle1: 10:29am On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:

You see brother, all the ethnic groups have issues on Nairaland. One ethnic group always want to see themselves as superior, but to me no ethnic group is superior than the other. We are human first before we belonged to one religion/ethnic. Just always overlook ethnic bashing because, in every race/ethnic/religion we have the good and the bad ones.
I understand and agree with you, not just nairaland but social media as a whole.

Truth is, Sometimes you tend to overlook and sometimes you can't help but 'chip in'. I had no intention of making a single comment on this thread, I saw the first few unwarranted swipes taken at igbos- I overlooked, but this yorooba boy aribisala0 started insisting that onitsha is Benin land, and asking the meaning of onitsha in Igbo, like WTF? at this point I had to come in so his stupidity doesn't flourish.

All the same, nice knowing and chatting with you. Peace!

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by neeyor88: 10:30am On Apr 29, 2018
Afam4eva:
The things that happen with these new era kings. I thought they said the Oba of Benin does not leave his palace.

So he should die there?
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by shizzle1: 10:37am On Apr 29, 2018
Born2Breed:

The Benin's have always respected the Yoruba's as a cousin. But what did the Benin's get in return? Insult and derogatory reference to the Benin's as omo Igbo.

The old Western region the Bendel axis were insulted and deprived of regional allocations, the major resources the made the western region increase its pace of development was gotten from the Bendel area. Cocoa we contributed 35%%,Timber 50%,Rubber and Palm Oil we contributed more but what did Bendel get? We all saw what the break away of Mid Western region did to the west.

Check this thread,its always the Yorubas that derails it without verifiable claims.

You all talk about size forgetting Japan once ruled over China and Italy over Europe.

Forget the mercy part, when e set believe me you and you co-warmongering crew will be the ones begging for mercy.
Please note that Igbos are at peace with everyone, we don't intend or plan to go to war against anyone. it's only yorooba who are rearing and itching to go to war with bini simply cos binis refuse their claim if superiority over them(Binis).

The only war Igbos fight is the way against injustice and unfairness. Thanks cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by codemaniacs: 10:38am On Apr 29, 2018
zz
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by shizzle1: 10:42am On Apr 29, 2018
codemaniacs:

when a new farm city was created, the inhabitants name the city....

so if a group of yorubas created a new city.. they would name it what they want or what the place specializes in...

yoruba is the mother of Africa....

Its also called Iyaruba or yaruba meaning mother of kings/queens or mother that birth kings/queens...

yoruba means joy of king/queens... grin grin grin
Suit yourself bro.. ..

If this gibberish makes you sleep well at night, who am I to try to stop your fantasies?

Enjoy!

NB: I suggest you listen to saladin25 and learn from him, he speaks knowledge and wisdom, but sadly kids like you will rather wallow in self-deceit and ignorance
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by fatiaforreal: 10:49am On Apr 29, 2018
macof:
you have not done any findings

1. have you heard the popular Bini saying 'Uhe n'o bie Oba' Ife birthed the Oba
2. Why is the priest of the Oba's ancestral shrine one of the people who accompanied Oranmiyan to Bini.
3. Why is the Oba called 'Ovbie Oodua n'uhe' son of oduduwa of Ife
4. why were the corpse of the early Bini kings taken to Ife for final funeral rights
5. why does the Ogiamien of Utantan (formerly Ogiso) claim Oba of Bini is a foreigner. Ogiso dynasty was still existing until Oba Ewedo finally defeated Ogiamien.
6. what is the hidden meaning of the Ekiopagha Treaty?
7. Why is any refers to Ekalederhan absent in the coronation rites of the Oba of Bini or any tradition that has to do with the Oba?
8. Have you heard of Ughotun, the town founded by Ekalederhan? If he went on to be king of Ile-ife, don't you think Ife people would know of Ughotun and even know of Ekalederhan being oduduwa?
9. What do you know about Oke-ora? Oke-ora happens to be according to Ife traditions the origin of Oduduwa. [If you want to know more about Oke-ora, you can open a different thread where i will answer your questions, or better get in touch with Ife chiefs - the Obadio and Olojudo]
Answer the questions and stop blabbing.
You ignorantly laugh at youruba mythology that says Oduduwa came from the sky, meanwhile you're completely ignorant of the story of your fabled Ogiso, who was a grandson of Osanobua!�. Whether you like it or not, the entire royal family came from Ife, they've only rewritten your history in anticipation of future nerves, like you're demonstrating now. If you don't believe yorubas, at least, you should believe your own. Ogiamien, Egarevba et al have told you times without number. Your earliest people, thousands of years before your first Ogiso was born by Olokun, came from a region, that was later known as Nupeland. That Nupeland was called Nyuife. That was the First Ife, where we SEPARATED. So, when you hear lots of common words it's because we were once same people. That Ife was destroyed by flood from river Niger which led yorubas to present Ife. It's the same thing with Igbos, who migrated in the other direction through Benue side. Those who disagree with this are in historical darkness!
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 10:50am On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:

Well, You are entitled to your opinion, but where I have issue with Yoruba account is;

1. Yoruba claimed that Oduduwa fell from sky, some said he came from Mecca and while some came into conclusion that he is from Egypt. But let us look at these accounts does it makes sense. How could one fall from the sky? He came all the way from Egypt/Mecca, do you know how many cities and towns one would pass through before getting to Ile-Ife. All these account are ruse to me.

2. As for all Yorubas kings/queens are appointed in Ile-Ife that is a fallacy. Oba Sikiru Adetona and many Ijebu indigenous people have refuted this claim that not all Yoruba people came from Ife. The Ijebus came from Sudan, the Olugbo of Ugbo, Oba Akinruntan (aka Obat) said Ugbos never originated from Ile-ife. Ugbo people were always terrorizing the people of Ile-ife before Moremi Ajansoro used her deceit to conquer them.
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/06/25/ijebus-are-from-sudan-awujale-insists/

3. As I have stated before in one of my comments, Benin fought wars with the Yoruba, Owo was at war with Benin but were never conquered. Eko(was a war camp) for the Benin warriors, which the Awori, the indigenous people of Lagos Island always pay tribute to the Oba of Benin.
Even Alafin Abiodun sought the help of Oba of Benin when Fulani were threat to the Oyo kingdom.

1. Yes, Oduduwa is said to 'come' (not fall) from the sky. But this is in reference to the recreation of the world after a great flood. It is those who are involved in Isese that know this. This oduduwa is gender-fluid, can be male, can be female. It is simply a tale based on Yoruba cosmology not to be confused for the historical oduduwa that is said to have started a civil war. People tend to talk about Oduduwa but fail to go to those who are traditionally assigned to Oduduwa matters. The likes of the Obadio of Ife who is the head of the Oduduwa cult cannot be bypassed when talking about Oduduwa#
2. Ijebus did not come from Sudan. Even in that same Ijebu-ode in the tradition is that the first Awujale Obanta Ogboroganlada was a son of Oduduwa and his mother was Gborowo. Oba Adetona is mixing things up, rightly so as he was not brought up in a traditional environment neither is he a committed african historian. In Ijebu they say ' Ijebu omo Owodaiye' he is confusing this for Waddai(which is impossible because Waddai was an Islamic caliphate founded in the 16th century in modern day Sudan). Owodaiye here refers to the first Ife, 'Ife Oodaye' in standard yoruba dialect. Olugbo never said his people did not come from Ife, he said his people own Ife and he is the rightful number Oba in Yorubaland, which is not totally wrong, you can ask why for a more detailed reply
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by aribisala0(m): 10:51am On Apr 29, 2018
ariesbull:

Do you realize this small boy that we have Onicha anglicised Onitsha in all Igbo land

Onicha Ukwuani Delta
Onicha ugbo Delta
Onicha mmili Anambra
Onicha Mbaise imo
Onicha uboma imo
Onicha ngwa Abia
Onicha ezza Enugu

Now all these Onicha are Benin right....confused souls

Do Benin bear Onicha

Your asking me the meaning of Onicha ....is it the Benin that the NRI priest thought artistry and administration because NRI civilisation is far older that these small minority Benin

Abeg face your Yoruba cousins...we Igbo have nothing.... absolutely nothing to do with you...we see you in condescending manner

Beating about the bush

What does Onitsha mean in Igbo language?

It has NO MEANING

because it is not Igbo

NRI civilization?

really? What do you know about Nri civilization?

The only thing you know is that some white folk came and did an excavation there and discovered some stuff. Prior to that there was no recorded account or oral traditio of Nri . There is no evidnce that the dscovery had anything to do with Igbos it could well have been Igala.

You think you can rewrite history by writing a fictitious page on Wikipedia ?? Kingdom of Nri grin grin

You guys are pathetic

You folk were completely obllivious of what was going on there and had no stories of what happened there probably before you cae from your homeland in Israel or are you no longer Jewish.

Kenneth Dike, Onwubiko and many others were decent Igbo scholars show me anythng they had to say about Igbo history.

Show me any textbook fro the 60s through to the 80s with anything on Igbo History.

The truth is when I was in school the textbooks had NO CHAPTER ON IGBO HISTORY

Why you folk were shrieking and snarling naked in the wilds of Umuakpu till white folk discovered and clothed you

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by fatiaforreal: 10:54am On Apr 29, 2018
The mother of all tribes based on archaeology and DNA, not some concocted story of men under the influence of palmwine or royalties desperately denying their roots to preserve their dynasty

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by fatiaforreal: 11:05am On Apr 29, 2018
Our history goes far beyond Oduduwa, Ogiso etc, and if we don't understand that, we'll continue to argue blindly. Monarchy is relatively recent in human history. You can hardly find any that is older 10,000yrs, whereas human history is certainly well over 100,000yrs. Oduduwa/Ogiso history we're pinning our history to are less than 3000yrs.
When you study history objectively, you begin to see points of separation rather than from point of ancestry. Most of the conquest we refer to are products of reverse migration.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by ariesbull: 11:10am On Apr 29, 2018
aribisala0:

Beating about the bush

What does Onitsha mean in Igbo language?

It has NO MEANING

because it is not Igbo

NRI civilization?

really? What do you know about Nri civilization?

The only thing you know is that some white folk came and did an excavation there and discovered some stuff. Prior to that there was no recorded account or oral traditio of Nri . There is no evidnce that the dscovery had anything to do with Igbos it could well have been Igala.

You think you can rewrite history by writing a fictitious page on Wikipedia ?? Kingdom of Nri grin grin

You guys are pathetic

You folk were completely obllivious of what was going on there and had no stories of what happened there probably before you cae from your homeland in Israel or are you no longer Jewish.

Kenneth Dike, Onwubiko and many others were decent Igbo scholars show me anythng they had to say about Igbo history.

Show me any textbook fro the 60s through to the 80s with anything on Igbo History.

The truth is when I was in school the textbooks had NO CHAPTER ON IGBO HISTORY

Why you folk were shrieking and snarling naked in the wilds of Umuakpu till white folk discovered and clothed you

Minority Edo....tell me one village that in the whole Edo that bears Onicha ...and also tell me the meaning of Edo ...very confused type...small minority guy..confused fellow

Always claiming everywhere...go and get Gelegele first before we we can take you serious..atleast Igbo has a chunk of Edo state via igbanke , Yoruba via Akoko , ijaw via Gelegele and hausa would do it via Auchi... Edo is a war booty

Onicha is a a contraction of 'Ọnịsịlị-ncha', meaning "too headstrong [to be disciplined]"; 'Ọnyịsịlị-ncha', "too headstrong [for everyone]"; or Ani-Ocha, "the fair or white land".
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by ariesbull: 11:12am On Apr 29, 2018
The funny Benin clowns said that they came from sky via Ogisos ...whatever that these guys and their oba is smoking...it's potent
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 11:13am On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:

If I may ask you, where is the word "Oba" originated from? As I have said before Yoruba accounts contradicts a lot. Now you are talking about Oke-Ora that according to the people of Ile-ife it is the Origin of Oduduwa. Which one do you want us to believe? Is it the Mecca version or Oduduwa coming from the sky with chains or Oduduwa coming from Egypt? Have heard another one Oke-Ora? Yoruba Historian should go back and pick one source or else, the Origin of Oduduwa will always be a subject of mockery.

Good, genuine questions are a good thing, we should be discussing not insulting

1. Ife used to be a confederacy of 13 communities...Each leader went by the title Oba eg. Oba Ijugbe, Oba Idio, Oba Ijio, Oba Iwinrin etc
2. Oba etymologically has the root word 'ba' which means to 'dominate'
3. Oduduwa coming from the sky is cosmology, a part of the creation story not history, do not confuse the two
4. Egypt is a recent nonsensical claim by people who normally attach everything to egypt. No reference to yoruba traditions. There are people who claim Edos came from Egypt too
5. Mecca, blame Oyo muslims of the 18th century who in a bid to seek legitimate reasons for their conversion to islam concocted a ridiculous Islamic connection to Oduduwa. No reference to Yoruba traditions

I completely agree, it is attitude like this from yorubas that make people take Oduduwa as a subject of mockery. Yorubas have turned away from tradition, how many people take part in festivals, how many speak to elders, how many are initiated into one orisa cult or the other? the coming of foreign religion and colonialism has damged the mindset of our people and it is causing real lack in our knowledge and appreciation for History
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Saladin25(m): 11:23am On Apr 29, 2018
macof:

Good, genuine questions are a good thing, we should be discussing not insulting

1. Ife used to be a confederacy of 13 communities...Each leader went by the title Oba eg. Oba Ijugbe, Oba Idio, Oba Ijio, Oba Iwinrin etc
2. Oba etymologically has the root word 'ba' which means to 'dominate'
3. Oduduwa coming from the sky is cosmology, a part of the creation story not history, do not confuse the two
4. Egypt is a recent nonsensical claim by people who normally attach everything to egypt. No reference to yoruba traditions. There are people who claim Edos came from Egypt too
5. Mecca, blame Oyo muslims of the 18th century who in a bid to seek legitimate reasons for their conversion to islam concocted a ridiculous Islamic connection to Oduduwa. No reference to Yoruba traditions

I completely agree, it is attitude like this from yorubas that make people take Oduduwa as a subject of mockery. Yorubas have turned away from tradition, how many people take part in festivals, how many speak to elders, how many are initiated into one orisa cult or the other? the coming of foreign religion and colonialism has damged the mindset of our people and it is causing real lack in our knowledge and appreciation for History
I like your explanations. Could you please, recommend some books that is well written by a Yoruba Historians not the one distorted. Thank you.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Debesther: 11:29am On Apr 29, 2018
I really feel for most youth on this forum. I think a lot of us are really mentally lazy.
That omo noba of EDO visited Ile-Ife make him inferior to the OONI ?.
Don't forget that this Ooni have visited other traditional rulers across the country including the Emir of sokoto,does that means he is inferior to all his hosts ?.
These 2 kings are just being humble and focused on moving their domains toward.
Most of you don't even know your history talk less of knowing how the Edos and Yorubas became brothers.
I will advise we the youth to be a fact finder rather than being a mere story teller of heresies.
Do you guys study history at all?.
I wonder how youth like you will rule a nation when you don't even know the link between ILE-IFE and EDOS in the days of OGISO's.
I am a youth to, but I am aware Nigeria is very ethnically blessed and a false story about her ethnicity will be heresies.
Pls be guided accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 11:38am On Apr 29, 2018
IgbosAreOsus:

Shut up olodo
You're definitely not a Yoruba. Just an ignorant troll.
The ooni was ab ordinary priest to the Aláàfin of Ọ̀yọ́ before he revolted against him and made himself a king.

Get that into your thick skull.
Smh. Obaship in Yorubaland is king-priesthood
All Obas are supposed to be the head of the major cults and heavily involved in the traditions of their domain

Ooni being a priest is the proper thing. Alaafin is also a priest, head of the sango cult worldwide
That due to colonisation and foreign religions and many Obas don't fulfil their priestly roles doesn't take away the initial duties attached to the title of Oba
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 29, 2018
Kings visit kings
Politicians visit politicians
Celebrities visit celebrities
Rich visit rich

The southern youths most especially keep fighting over supremacy of universities, football clubs, celebrities, secret cults, religion believes, ethnicity and so on. No wonder Buhari said they are lazy and jobless.

The old men are strengthening their friendship and the southern youths are planing of how they will bomb themselves. They claim to be the leaders of tomorrow but my question is that Will the youth ever get it right?

Sometin is wrong in southern Nigeria, mayb that is y the north keeps ruling.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 11:56am On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:

I like your explanations. Could you please, recommend some books that is well written by a Yoruba Historians not the one distorted. Thank you.

I will recommend Yoruba Art and Language by Rowland Abiodun, Art and Risk in Ancient Yoruba by Suzanne Preston Blier, A history of the Yoruba people by Prof. Akintoye

Ps. Suzanne Blier references the great historian and archaeologist Prof. Eluyemi in great length, you can try some of his books
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by saintaustine(m): 12:00pm On Apr 29, 2018
expert234:

Don't mind those fools that relish in giving Omo noba a godlike personality that he himself doesn't lay claim to
Be sense-able
Senseless thing.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2018
IgbosAreOsus:
[s][/s]
Lol! Who taught you that?
What an illiterate
I'm done arguing with an illiterate.
it is obvious you are an Insane slowpoke. Your father is not half as educated as I am
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Saladin25(m): 12:15pm On Apr 29, 2018
macof:

I will recommend Yoruba Art and Language by Rowland Abiodun, Art and Risk in Ancient Yoruba by Suzanne Preston Blier, A history of the Yoruba people by Prof. Akintoye

Ps. Suzanne Blier references the great historian and archaeologist Prof. Eluyemi in great length, you can try some of his books

Thank you for these recommendations. I am grateful.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by expert234: 12:31pm On Apr 29, 2018
saintaustine:

Be sense-able
Senseless thing.

Looks like you are one of the despicable, abominable souls I was referring to?
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by DeRay98(m): 12:32pm On Apr 29, 2018
expert234:

You comment like an idiot, believe me.
I hit a slam dunk grin
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 29, 2018
When did I make that claim ?
expert234:

Senseless ignoramus like you claimed the omo n'oba doesn't visit other people. Don't you see your stupidity from that picture?
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by expert234: 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2018
prolog2:
When did I make that claim ?

And how are you so sure that others haven't made that claim here?

Stop being stupid, please.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by expert234: 12:40pm On Apr 29, 2018
DeRay98:

I hit a slam dunk grin

Yeah, you hit yourself on the head and ended up a senseless buffoon. Be gentle on yourself for a change, OK?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (123) (Reply)

The "REAL" Hausa / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.