Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,866 members, 7,872,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:30 AM

Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" (52568 Views)

Sir Victor Uwaifo Is Dead / Victor Uwaifo Celebrates 80th Birthday Today [Photos] / Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Nobody: 4:00am On May 12, 2018
But this is an old news now, he said this last year, or did he still bring up the issue again recently?
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Obierika(m): 4:08am On May 12, 2018
I thought this matter has been rested?
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by princess9jablog(f): 4:26am On May 12, 2018
[quote author=laidelaitan post=67479981]Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me - Prof. Uwaifo

hmm nawah oh
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Amanyanabo(m): 4:39am On May 12, 2018
undefeated:
Some times we are blind to our own faults. Adekunle Gold one my favourite Nigerian musician had called out Nollywood for using his song without his consent whereas they used joromi without Sir victor Uwaifor calling them out. Sir Uwaifor is calling them out because they did same and he left them alone
same gold dat sampled one direction's story of my life in sade, let him go sit smwhere abeg. A lot of these artists r not original nd creative enough
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by AreaFada2: 4:56am On May 12, 2018
martineverest:
typical nigerian youth... senseless

really sad that old man knows his right better than Nigerian youths..this is why Ur politicians see youths as fóools

They may not know that Sir Victor Uwaifo is a first class graduate, with thorough post-graduate education, lecturer of many years and a former commissioner. Along with his late friend Segun Bucknor, who was educated at Columbia University in New York, many of those older musicians developed their music alongside proper education. The result is that all their kids have several degrees, irrespective of what you see them doing today: showbizz, business, etc. They are not like ignorant youth.

All those Bobby Benson "musical school generation" showbizz people learnt oyinbo ways of doing things before corruption ruined the country producing the empty youth we have today.

People like to look at all older musicians as "previously popular and fairly economically ok but now poor". Very wrong.

What relevance will Simi give to Sir Victor?

Copyright law will decide if Simi did the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Kobicove(m): 4:57am On May 12, 2018
The song Simi made does not bear any similarity with Uwaifo's own as far as I'm concerned therefore there's no basis for copyright infringement undecided
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Amanyanabo(m): 4:59am On May 12, 2018
Cyrealmusic:

Go and listen to the guitar played on simi's own and listen to the guitar sir uwaifo played then you will know what is called copyright.
most of dem avnt listened to sir uwaifo version dat is why they r talking trash, they r clearly d same tin
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by wink2015(m): 4:59am On May 12, 2018
Why is Simi and Timi thieves?

Simi stole the song 'Joromi' the intellectual property of the king of Akwete music, Sir Victor Uwaifo

Funny enough she is refusing to publicly acknowledge her criminal conduct and then see how to settle with Sir Victor Uwaifo.

Does she think she can bluff it off without a reprisal from the original owner of the work?

As for Timi Dakolo that was accused of infringement on the intellectual property right of singer Majek Fashek.

Timi Dakolo said he settled Majek Manager for the musical work he is being accused of violating.

But why is Majek Fashek complaining if Timi Dakolo settled him?

Is it that Majek manager that failed to give him (Majek) his own share of the pay off?

Simi go and settle with Sir Victor Uwaifo for you to enjoy peace.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by AreaFada2: 5:04am On May 12, 2018
BeemaxWorld:
What a disgrace to Nigeria. Please how many presidents do we hear always leaving their country to another country for medical checkup.

Nigeria president going for checkup in UK is a big shame to the country as a whole. If the Nigerian president is not confident about the health care system in his country, then I wonder about the masses that can't even afford a trip by bus to neighboring countries.

The number one citizen of a country finding better health care outside his country and leaving those he rules to die in the country.

We are coming for all politicians soon. We will end all corrupt lives by all means. It is a greater war than that of the child's play Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen are doing but we know we will be fighting a greater course.

All level of government will be wiped out and the humble shall rule.

We are getting ready to what has never been seen before in Nigeria. No Level for any useless cabal from the presidency.

This is just a brief information for what is expected.

Look, they will soon label you Wailer, flat-head (irrespective of your tribe/region), 9ja Delta militant, Ipob and all possible names. Election is next year. cheesy grin

In this our country truth has no place. Herd mentality holds sway. But thank God some like you are not in Zombie land. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by bestspoke: 5:07am On May 12, 2018
Rexnegro:
do know u if KSA kept quiet because those artists acknowledged him? why should to acknowledge someone harder to do when u want to use their intellectual property ehn . just a fone call perhaps.
Truth

Mujtahida:

you talk as if you know yet you spill thrash. IP is any work of the human mind. its divided into three sub categories: copyrights, patent and designs and then trademarks.

as far as copyrights is concerned(in respect of which Sir Victor Uwaifo is laying claim) he needs no patent. he is not claiming under patents and designs where your patent must be registered at the patent and designs office under the minsitary of labour and productivity. as far as musical works and other copyrighted works are concerned registration is not a sine qua non to stake a claim for infringement and damages. while registration is good it is not absolutely necessary. even without registration (though one is advised to register nevertheless) all a person needs to do to succeed to claim that his work has been infringed is to proof that indeed that work (song in this instance) is his work. and please tell me who doesnt know 'Joromi' is Uwaifo's Signature work? let him take the case to court and see if Simi will not sweat and cough out all that she has earned from infringing on Uwaaifo's right.

as an aside: i recently discovered that contemporary nigerian musicians are really not that creative. they are taking advantage of two things: the internet and the ignorance of nigerians as regards our musical heritage. go listen to highlife tunes of the 50's through to the 80's and you'd discover that contemporary niaja musicians just listen to this songs on the internet, alter a few things and release it to loud acclaim from indomie generation peeps who are unaware that these are old songs or old tunes. i was listening to old american jazz and i was just shaking my head- tiwa savage sure knows how to roll. listen Harry Belafonte's 'Jamaican Farewell' and you will see where Tuface probably got the tune of one of his songs.
Noted... grin And bruhh I know,I'm no trash talker, Patent and invention was a compulsory course in Uni days..This is the second public copyright call out,I've seen this month, since we're now claiming rights fine,but should this not be handled professionally? if baba wants case, send his lawyer to deliver a letter to simi, stating all intellectual parts of Joromi infringed? the song has been out there for how many months again?...Not wait till after she bagged a few accolades in the headies.The trend will be abused soon We're in Nigeria, the music industry still lacks necessary structures for claimants and if its gonna change then lets use a better approach abeg. The trend will continue and will be abused.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by JAMESOJAY: 5:16am On May 12, 2018
Yourba International Thief. Thief

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Brugo(m): 5:49am On May 12, 2018
This is an easy win for the Maestro if he takes the matter to court.

I laugh at the gross ignorance of kids these days.

Some are ignorant because a number of Nigerian artistes have stolen words and music from foreign musicians without consequence. Notable among such Nigerian artistes is P square. I believe the only reason P Square got away with this (when they infused music from western artistes) is jurisdiction. If P Square were based in a country where the artistes had officially launched their music, they would have obtained permission.

Simi is well educated. I am surprised she didn't as much as call Prof Uwaifo before using a part of his melody and lyrics.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Dappertwayne: 6:00am On May 12, 2018
A vast majority of comments glaringly show that most of y'all are ill-informed as regards IP laws . Firstly, Intellectual property has 3 branches viz Copyright, Patents and Trademarks. Secondly, for copyright protection (which sir uwaifo is claiming under), you don't have to register your work as protection is automatic as long as it satisfies the requirements of originality and fixation....Thirdly, in certain instances,mere titles can be protected under the law.This is where the person claiming ownership of such word can prove he birthed such word or such word arose from his coinage...Now,i don't know much about the origin of the word 'Joromi' but if uwaifo can prove he's the innovator of the word, as well as the meaning ascribed to it as used by Simi in the song, then she's in trouble big time
P.S: I'm not a lawyer, I'm still learning the ropes as an undergrad

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by ntyce(m): 6:23am On May 12, 2018
Majority of those bashing Simi have clearly not heard both songs.
Aside the word Joromi used as title, there is no resemblance.
Sir Victor can't win this.
This is different from Tekno/danfo drivers - jogodo where the former used part of the lyrics, sampled beats etc
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by greatman247(m): 6:27am On May 12, 2018
Uwaifo is a bloody joker. This is not intellectual property theft. Anyone can use any title In music, you've got no right to titles except if it's a trademarked. Simi should not give him kobo, rather fight it in court. The man is just useless if this is true, he was jealous at the success of Simi in such a short time compare to his time when it take them long time when work is released. He wants to just trend he as missed that a lot. He should respect himself cos when taken to court he will end up being embarrassed cos the work don't even sound alike in anyway. He should just respect himself.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by greatman247(m): 6:38am On May 12, 2018
Dappertwayne:
A vast majority of comments glaringly show that most of y'all are ill-informed as regards IP laws . Firstly, Intellectual property has 3 branches viz Copyright, Patents and Trademarks. Secondly, for copyright protection (which sir uwaifo is claiming under), you don't have to register your work as protection is automatic as long as it satisfies the requirements of originality and fixation....Thirdly, in certain instances,mere titles can be protected under the law.This is where the person claiming ownership of such word can prove he birthed such word or such word arose from his coinage...Now,i don't know much about the origin of the word 'Joromi' but if uwaifo can prove he's the innovator of the word, as well as the meaning ascribed to it as used by Simi in the song, then she's in trouble big time

Oga lawyer, Jeromi was never coined by Uwaifo I refused to call him sir cos he just lost my respect. Jeromi is a word with meaning it can be found in the dictionary even before Uwaifo used it. The work of Simi and uwaifo never sound alike in anyway. If taken to court he will only be embarrass the more as he will never be able to win this war. He only wanted to trend and Simi should not give him a kobo. He is just pained and jealous of Simi' s tremendous success in a short while compare to his time when work is released that a lot has to be done for success to come. He should just shut up and face other important things in his life or else be forever ridiculed the hard earned name and reputation he has worked for over the years because of this issue.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by jolomiurenyi(m): 6:44am On May 12, 2018
swiz123:
All to gain relevance... SMH

Well simi should just give him 10k, just like tekno did for danfo drivers.

Do you think Sir Victor Uwaifo is suffering? guy reason well nah, she's suppose to consult him before singing the song.

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by IAMJojo(m): 6:54am On May 12, 2018
BeemaxWorld:
What a disgrace to Nigeria. Please how many presidents do we hear always leaving their country to another country for medical checkup.

Nigeria president going for checkup in UK is a big shame to the country as a whole. If the Nigerian president is not confident about the health care system in his country, then I wonder about the masses that can't even afford a trip by bus to neighboring countries.

The number one citizen of a country finding better health care outside his country and leaving those he rules to die in the country.

We are coming for all politicians soon. We will end all corrupt lives by all means. It is a greater war than that of the child's play Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen are doing but we know we will be fighting a greater course.

All level of government will be wiped out and the humble shall rule.

We are getting ready to what has never been seen before in Nigeria. No Level for any useless cabal from the presidency.

This is just a brief information for what is expected.
How do i become a member,if u see wetin my eyes dea see 4 here asaba n benin,wetin dis useless politicians dea use our money do eh,i don dea wait 4 sumtin like dis,dis guys need arms nt pvc
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Mac2016(m): 7:10am On May 12, 2018
Am still wondering how does Simi song contribute to theft. She didn't sing Uwaifo line just mentioned a word in it, a word that might have been in existence before Uwaifo even put it in his own song. So what's the copyright issue here. "living la vida local" is a phrase many artistes have used recently.. Davido and wizkid and olamide used it... Who's copyright is this? Copyright law should be clearly spelt out before some old men start harassing young musicians for relevance and to arouse sympathy after their failed careers!

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Mac2016(m): 7:12am On May 12, 2018
Brugo:
This is an easy win for the Maestro if he takes the matter to court.

I laugh at the gross ignorance of kids these days.

Some are ignorant because a number of Nigerian artistes have stolen words and music from foreign musicians without consequence. Notable among such Nigerian artistes is P square. I believe the only reason P Square got away with this (when they infused music from western artistes) is jurisdiction. If P Square were based in a country where the artistes had officially launched their music, they would have obtained permission.

Simi is well educated. I am surprised she didn't as much as call Prof Uwaifo before using a part of his melody and lyrics.
Am still wondering how does Simi song contribute to theft. She didn't sing Uwaifo line just mentioned a word in it, a word that might have been in existence before Uwaifo even put it in his own song. So what's the copyright issue here. "living la vida local" is a phrase many artistes have used recently.. Davido and wizkid and olamide used it... Who's copyright is this? Copyright law should be clearly spelt out before some old men start harassing young musicians for relevance and to arouse sympathy after their failed careers! Pls explain to me more on copyright law... I really need to read this laws these days
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Mac2016(m): 7:13am On May 12, 2018
ntyce:
Majority of those bashing Simi have clearly not heard both songs.
Aside the word Joromi used as title, there is no resemblance.
Sir Victor can't win this.
This is different from Tekno/danfo drivers - jogodo where the former used part of the lyrics, sampled beats etc
Am still wondering how does Simi song contribute to theft. She didn't sing Uwaifo line just mentioned a word in it, a word that might have been in existence before Uwaifo even put it in his own song. So what's the copyright issue here. "living la vida local" is a phrase many artistes have used recently.. Davido and wizkid and olamide used it... Who's copyright is this? Copyright law should be clearly spelt out before some old men start harassing young musicians for relevance and to arouse sympathy after their failed careers!
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Nobody: 7:15am On May 12, 2018
its a fact that she stole the word joromi, she must pay homage to sir vic. people ranting against sir vic remind me of the typical nigerian youth hopelessly lazy , sterile in creativity and full of shit, no wonder non of our so called stars took part in the black panther film.

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Mac2016(m): 7:16am On May 12, 2018
Dappertwayne:
Exactly, if he can prove he created that word 'joromi' bur how sure we are that the word hasn't been in existence long before the man put it in his song
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by slap1(m): 7:19am On May 12, 2018
I don't see any copyright issue here at all. Both songs are totally different and unrelated. Like, even the themes and messages are different. Let him go to court if he strongly feels he has a case.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Guitar5: 7:36am On May 12, 2018
Hello everyone here please I just wanna post this oout of my drive in music have been on the look out for a church to play am a professional lead guitar player please any link kindly contact me on 09084545421 that's also my WhatsApp number yhahnks [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Eddykul(m): 7:44am On May 12, 2018
This guy is lying joor
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Talknochip(m): 7:49am On May 12, 2018
Smh @ All dose insulting Sir Victor.... No wonder our Nation is jus lawless.... FYI, sir Victor Uwaifo is a Lecturer in the University of Benin... So he is not looking for money as som are insinuating. Wat we shld b debatin is wether d copyright law will still b effective after 25 years!.... Smh @ Simi,

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by ubergold(m): 7:50am On May 12, 2018
babadee1:

You don't know anything about copyright law. Legally it is impossible to copyright the title of a song or one word in a song, it's not done. So Simi didn't steal anything.

I guess you know more the great Prof Victor Uwaifo sorry the small Victor Uwaifo. You need to teach him about copyright laws sir Afterall his over 50 years in the arts not just as an academia but also as a performer is not good enough. Weh done sir

2 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by ubergold(m): 7:59am On May 12, 2018
Bundaweber:

For those telling him to go and sit down or to respect himself or he is seeking relevance, I pity you. This man is a professor, former commissioner and owner of a well renowned and popular museum cum art gallery in Benin (Revelation Tourist Palazzo). He is in fact very wealthy both in knowledge and materially. Before Simi, Davido and the rest you had the GUITAR BOY, Sir Victor Uwaifo. I believe he must have trademarked "joromi" well before now. intact the road which leads to his gallery is called joromi. He knows what he is talking about.

Bros don't bother yourself, most of them are too lazy to even just Google who Prof Victor Uwaifo is how much more understand what copyright infringement is. It's very sad because they are not aiming at anything creative do they can't relate to intellectual theft.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by ubergold(m): 8:10am On May 12, 2018
Mac2016:

Exactly, if he can prove he created that word 'joromi' bur how sure we are that the word hasn't been in existence long before the man put it in his song

It is not just the word, the lyrics and rhythm. I sincerely hope you have listened to both songs carefully before concluding. From the guitar to the hook the similarity is very obvious.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by horlus(m): 8:19am On May 12, 2018
pornhub:
the song didn't sound alike.

I doubt this news.

Even Simi confessed that the guitar rythm were sampled from the original joromi.
Victor uwaifo deserves to be compensated.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by horlus(m): 8:20am On May 12, 2018
[quote author=horlus post=67489629]

]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Davido Gave His Used Cloths To Mayorkun, His Newly Signed Artiste- Fans (photos) / Pics: Roman Goddess On The Streets Of Dubai / Queenette Awuka, Cross River Most Beautiful Girl Releases Stunning Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.