Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,475 members, 7,891,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:58 PM

Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana (22526 Views)

Ondo: Wike Blast IGP, Falana Over Harassment Of Deputy Governor / Accidental Discharge: Reps Summon IGP, NSCDC Boss / Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by aribisala0(m): 9:23am On May 12, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
“The only other occasion where a public officer can be summoned by the National Assembly is when proceedings are ongoing to expose corruption (Section 88) and when a law is being debated either with a view to amending it or to have a new law entirely.”

So the senate CAN summon the IGP, what kind of topic did the OP chose? misinformation

Actually Falana was inaccurate.

The constitution says

"expose corruption,inefficiency or waste"

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by aribisala0(m): 9:26am On May 12, 2018
(2) The powers conferred on the National Assembly under the provisions of this section are exercisable only for the purpose of enabling it to -

(a) make laws with respect to any matter within its legislative competence and correct any defects in existing laws; and

(b) expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by aribisala0(m): 9:26am On May 12, 2018
(2) The powers conferred on the National Assembly under the provisions of this section are exercisable only for the purpose of enabling it to -

(a) make laws with respect to any matter within its legislative competence and correct any defects in existing laws; and

(b) expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:29am On May 12, 2018
We need a new generation of Politicians, SAN, Police, Judges, Generals, etc
A total overhaul of the system is the only hope we have
Nigeria needs leaders that are not products of the system

aribisala0:

Actually Falana was inaccurate.

The constitution says

"expose corruption,inefficiency or waste"
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by tempest01(m): 9:30am On May 12, 2018

Falana should erase the SAN from his name.

The bolded justifies the invitation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by zeestunner(m): 9:31am On May 12, 2018
Amacaco:
Someone should tell Falana that he is lying and turning the constitution upside down. He should apply for the position of a Judge and give his interpretations of the law the way he likes but as a lawyer he is deceiving the unlearned and playing politics. He is so so so so wrong on this.

Hunku are u a SAN ? Or provide the section of the constitution your "learned lol" self know ane interprete it biko or shut da f-ck up

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by aribisala0(m): 9:31am On May 12, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
We need a new generation of Politicians, SAN, Police, Judges, Generals, etc
A total overhaul of the system is the only hope we have
Nigeria needs leaders that are not products of the system

How realistic is that ? A new generation of anything will take a generation to achieve.What can we do today ,next week ,next month and next year?
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by sirgoody: 9:31am On May 12, 2018
Unfortunately, Falana has lost it.....the senate has the powers to suspend any member for misconduct for 14 days.....I feel sorry for falan

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by LDaVinci: 9:33am On May 12, 2018
Liar, Falana

Section 89 of the 1999 Constitution:

[b]89. (1) For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to -

(a) procure all such evidence, written or oral, direct or circumstantial, as it may think necessary or desirable, and examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence may be material or relevant to the subject matter;

(b) require such evidence to be given on oath;

(c) summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions; and

(d) issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who, after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question, and order him to pay all costs which may have been occasioned in compelling his attendance or by reason of his failure, refusal or neglect to obey the summons, and also to impose such fine as may be prescribed for any such failure, refused or neglect; and any fine so imposed shall be recoverable in the same manner as a fine imposed by a court of law.

(2) A summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or by any person authorised in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may require.[/b]

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Galloman(m): 9:36am On May 12, 2018
[quote author=Ecstasy154 post=67481688]

http://www.punchng.com/senate-cant-summon-president-govs-ig/
.Buhari till 2023. Idiots pigs of Biafra and looters can visit the nearest transformer for worm hug.
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Nobody: 9:38am On May 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:
I disagree with Falana on this, Senate cn summon the president not to talk of ordinary IGP .

The Senate arm is for checks and balances, the IGP is an appointee who is answerable to the people and can be summoned by the people thru the senate.

Mr Falana, i disagree with u on this.

from the moment you think you are handsome i knew you were a joke now you even think you know ,,i guess u flatter ursef for a living.
on matters like these you donnt just disagree as if you are somebody,disagree with quotes from the constitution.
legislative act as checks and balances we all learnt that in secondary school,teach Mr falana what he is yet to know,,me sef wan learn

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:38am On May 12, 2018
In my opinion it would have to start with the presidency
Someone totally unconnected with the polity

aribisala0:

How realistic is that ? A new generation of anything will take a generation to achieve.What can we do today ,next week ,next month and next year?

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by humblenature: 9:38am On May 12, 2018
lipsrsealed

"Beware of wolves in sheep clothing"

Falana, you have goofed big time. I know that you know that too.

Na because of one tin I take respect you o. Nigerians are not ignorant so pls, don't mislead people with the status you occupy

What made you commit this blunder is a question for another day but today I have a word for you.

Nobody is above the law and who makes the law? The legislators do.

It is a big corruption not to carry out your constitutional duties and what you are been paid for.

Failure to address endemic security issues is corruption itself because you may be serving partisan interests

Even the british prime minister can be summoned by congress . who is IGP? Is he greater than a common police? So if a police cant be summoned then who will summon him when he pulls the trigger unlawfully?

Falana, na because of FALZ I take respect you o. Abeg use your voice well.

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Trendirabingi: 9:39am On May 12, 2018
deomelo:

Typical ignorant ipob rubbish..

We have 3 co-equal branches or arms of government for a reason.

Village square education is bad for you villager
u are so stewpid, sincerely, more stewpid dan the one you qouted, even if you want to raise a point, must u always refer to ipob, despite we know it had continually been ur steady nightmare, such convulsions should atleast not continually stigmatize u towards calling ipob on every single senseless and aimless chance ur convulsions have over you...u are even more hilarious and stewpid than the present 8th senate

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Pierohandsome: 9:40am On May 12, 2018
[quote author=SoNature post=67488349]

Mr Falana is saying what our Constitution says that's why he advised them to amend it now to address these areas.

Mr Falana is a distinguished Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN)

Let's be reasonable in our criticism [/quoteFollowing critical comments that trailed the summon, in some quarters, the House insisted it has power under Section 89 (1) (c) of the Constitution. According to the Section, “for the purposes of any investigation under Section 88 of this Constitution and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with Section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions.”

Sub-section 1(d) provides for power of the House to compel the attendance of anyone that fails to appear when summoned. The Sub-section reads “in the event a person fails to appear, the Senate or House of Representatives shall issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question.”

The president cn be summoned , bt for protocol issues he cn choose to send his minister to appear b4 the house.

So jst tel me reasons why u feel the IGP cannot be summoned?.

He cn be summoned and most appear in person if the Senate insists tht he must appear.

So wht is Falana saying?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by aribisala0(m): 9:41am On May 12, 2018
Trendirabingi:
u are so stewpid, sincerely, more stewpid dan the one you qouted, even if you want to raise a point, must u always refer to ipob, despite we know it had continually been ur steady nightmare, such convulsions should atleast not continually stigmatize u towards calling ipob on every single senseless and aimless chance ur convulsions have over you...u are even more hilarious and stewpid than the present 8th senate
Your Excellency!
Are you the IPOB Ambassador to Nairaland?

3 Likes

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by aribisala0(m): 9:42am On May 12, 2018
The problem with summoning president is if he does not attend a warrant cannot be issued against him
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Realhommie(m): 9:46am On May 12, 2018
Igba123:
sorry oo but I think by ur comment u don't knw d concept of sensationalism in journalism. Falana didn't mention IGP in d post u commented on. Only mentioned d president n govs.
He mentioned the IGP, I watched it live.
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by SoNature(m): 9:48am On May 12, 2018
[quote author=Pierohandsome post=67491556][/quote]

grin my brother, a Nigerian president under the presidential system of government cannot be summoned by anyone

You can only invite him.

Under the law, even in English language, the two verbs don't mean the same thing. While one is authoritative, the other is appellant in nature.

According to two SANs that addressed the same issue, the section of the constitution that talks about summon and invitation has clauses or exception, if you will. And the president is under the exception. No, you don't summon him because he's your superior in civil service.
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by bmankpatako: 9:50am On May 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:
I disagree with Falana on this, Senate cn summon the president not to talk of ordinary IGP .

The Senate arm is for checks and balances, the IGP is an appointee who is answerable to the people and can be summoned by the people thru the senate.

What do u know abt the law... Better sharap
Stupid ipob dog, u self dey bark when learned ppl are talking

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Aditueledumare(m): 9:55am On May 12, 2018
House Of senate was morally right but legally wrong by summon igp.
both party are playing politics with Nigerians lives. if Dino is not in police custody Senate may not likely summon Idris.
pbm should urgently do something about dread herdsmen -aka Boko Haram .

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by brutal1(m): 9:56am On May 12, 2018
kinibigdeal:

Even if they summon him for because of Melaye, how does that relate to the disobedience to the rule of law. If Melaye's case is not political he should go ahead and face the senate explaining why Melaye was arrested in the first place
i think the question is Whose interest are they serving? The people that voted them or their selfish interest? They were voted by the people of their senatorial district to represent them and be their voice at the senate. They are meant to listen to the people and lobby for projects like basic social amenities to their individual communities. supporting dino melaye is a complete personal and selfish move. It is obviously outside their constitutional duties. That's just my point !

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Pierohandsome: 9:59am On May 12, 2018
[quote author=ericsmith post=67491511]

from the moment you think you are handsome i knew you were a joke now you even think you know ,,i guess u flatter ursef for a living.
on matters like these you donnt just disagree as if you are somebody,disagree with quotes from the constitution.
legislative act as checks and balances we all learnt that in secondary school,teach Mr falana what he is yet to know,,me sef wan learn [/quoteFollowing critical comments that trailed the summon, in some quarters, the House insisted it has power under Section 89 (1) (c) of the Constitution. According to the Section, “for the purposes of any investigation under Section 88 of this Constitution and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with Section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions.”

Sub-section 1(d) provides for power of the House to compel the attendance of anyone that fails to appear when summoned. The Sub-section reads “in the event a person fails to appear, the Senate or House of Representatives shall issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by akaahs(m): 9:59am On May 12, 2018
yarimo:
Thank you mr FALANA, this serving set of senators led by SARAKI are the worst of senators since 1960
Before u follow a suppose SAN who is expected to be vast in our constitution is spewing ignorance of the same constitution, pls read section 88 nd 89

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Trendirabingi: 10:01am On May 12, 2018
aribisala0:
Your Excellency!
Are you the IPOB Ambassador to Nairaland?
Yea, that group is d truth, and the present challenge to all the madness,you all are fighting over, and wld still be fighting about until something, real, drastic and truthful is being done about this contraption, that was handed down to your present day old rouges in the name of politicians, after union jack.....

1 Like

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by akaahs(m): 10:01am On May 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:

Bro to be sincere with u, I'm ashamed of a supposed SAN misleading the general Public. Let him go through section 88 nd 89 of d constitution
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Realhommie(m): 10:02am On May 12, 2018
new2012:
Going through the comments will make you weep for Nigeria..

An arm of government can not summon a government employee because we are blinded with politics? Damn!

Time shall eventually tell. Balogun was IG at one time, he's more of a nuisance even to himself now. Where's Mba- the PDP tool? He has since faded into oblivion History don't get rewritten. The employees that get used by politician often end up as waste products.
What's there to weep about please? Your post reeks of sentiment.

A SAN was on a talk show on live TV, he was asked questions and he answered even quoting relevant sections of the constitution to back up his points.. If you feel hard done by please counter him with your own points with relevant backings from the constitution as well.

You accuse people of being political because they chose to be objective rather than sentimental, you should go weep for yourself.

The senate spokesman was on channels tv yesterday morning, he couldn't even counter this yet you think Falana SAN and those who see reasons with him are wrong and are just being political... SMH

If you must know this, the NASS constitutes over 60% of the problem plaguing this nation today, especially these current crop and most especially the present senate. Their own too much.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Realhommie(m): 10:04am On May 12, 2018
olaeffect:

Simple.

He told them their limitation according to the constitution. He also went ahead to give them solution to problem, yet some people can't still comprehend.

What is wrong with some youths of this country sef?
The thing sef weak me.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Pierohandsome: 10:06am On May 12, 2018
akaahs:

Bro to be sincere with u, I'm ashamed of a supposed SAN misleading the general Public. Let him go through section 88 nd 89 of d constitution
i do agree with Falana on other issues , bt on this particular one he became sentimental and political.
Re: Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana by Mipee(m): 10:15am On May 12, 2018
This our IG must be very powerful ooo, even the president can't order him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Meets With PDP Board Of Trustees (Photo) / Japa: Reps Vote Against Anti — Migration Motion / Boko Haram Now Using Cows To Bomb Communities - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.